Community MetaSteam | January 2023 - A new season begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
I mostly just thought it was so timely as it popped up on YouTube right as I went from reading this thread.XD I do think its valid to boycott the game, but I do also think there isn't really ethical consumption under capitalism as the meme goes, I guess I'm both siding this. :eek:
That there is no ethical consumption under capitalism does not excuse choosing the worst fucking person to give money to. The principle that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism does not mean "hey if nothing matters fuck all right?". You can always choose the least harmful option or choose not to engage with a product at all.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
That there is no ethical consumption under capitalism does not excuse choosing the worst fucking person to give money to. The principle that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism does not mean "hey if nothing matters fuck all right?". You can always choose the least harmful option or choose not to engage with a product at all.
The least harmful option however would be to not buy videogames at all

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Can we just not shame people for buying games on here?

I'd rather be seen buying Forspoken than Hogwarts, and frankly I'd rather not be seen buying either of them, but we shouldn't be giving people crap for their purchasing decisions whether that's kusoge, a game on EGS, one that funnels money to a transphobe, or all three of those.

Life's too short for the flame wars that emerge. Just judge people silently or take it off site.
I was honestly just poking fun at the whole thing. Truthfuly I don't really care what people buy or play, it's their money their choice.
I apologize if my sarcastic comment sounded in some way as me trying to shame others.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Man I'm so hyped for this.

Love city builders. Love the SteamWorld universe.

That art direction looks dreamy.

Noticed there's a demo too so I get to see how hard it's gonna kick my GTX 1080's ass, lol.
yup, same here, i love city builders!

:steam_pigblanket:
Eurogamer just posted a feature on this –

oh it says theres a demo on Steam! neat.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I bought breakpoint on Epic for 5$ because it linked to your ubisoft account so the 12$ for it just linking to your ubisoft account via steam with 4 new kinds of DRM is kind of insulting

(Yes I bought something on epic)
I guess I should clarify that i did this like a year+ ago now and meant it as more of a im more insulted at ubisoft than anything else

• Toucan
Reactions: xinek and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Did ubi really patch 3 bots in Breakpoint to make the solo exactly works like Wildlands ? Or is there some shitty drawbacks ?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
RIP Forspoken, your life was shortlived
You say this but Forspoken went from somewhere in the mid 30s on the Steam global top seller list all the way into the top 10. This happened after the reviews came out.

That doesn't make any sense at all :thinking-face:

The fact that they've stuck with their crappy subscription model since it released and will be bringing it to Steam as well means the crappy subscription model has worked out for them. Definitely not something I'd like the industry at large to take note of.

That said, there are already some games which have a de-facto subscription without actually calling it one. Destiny 2 is the most popular example. Technically it's free to play but playing it for free is barely more than a demo as you are locked out of virtually all the content. You can buy the annual expansion and that'll give you the campaign for that year but you will still be locked out of most of the ongoing content for the rest of the year. The only way to get the full experience is to buy all 4 season passes at $10 a piece. That makes it a $40 annual subscription in all but name.

...when you get clowned on for doing so. Just shut up and play what you want instead of...
So why is it that the people who are playing the game have to shut up about it but the people who are 'clowning' on others for something that is none of their business won't do the same thing? How about those people shut the fuck up with their opinions?

Not buying a video game will never be a 'cause'. No boycott for a video game has ever worked, and never will. We all skip games for a variety of reasons. I've personally avoided games for extremely petty reasons at times. What I don't do is go around telling others that they should also not buy a thing I don't like and then publicly judge them or shame them for not doing what I wanted them to do. Not only is this actually pathetic, it also does not work. That is a lesson that has been driven home time and again since at least Horse Armor happened 15 odd years ago.

I hope Hogwarts turns out to be a good game and if it is, I hope it does well. I hope the same for the other controversial game releasing next month, Atomic Heart. Also keep in mind these games are only controversial in a tiny sliver of the internet. Most people do not care. Most people play games for entertainment and joy and relaxation. If you find yourself in a bubble of negativity and toxicity when it comes to games you should maybe step back and think about what you actually want from this hobby. Judging and shaming people for enjoying a game that you don't like is actually insane and toxic as fuck.

---

Anyway, moving on. Has anyone kept up the Blizzard drama happening in China? The short version is that Blizzard had partnered up with Netease (a mandatory requirement to operate in China) and that's how all their games were available there. A few months ago their contract was up for renewal and something went wrong in the negotiations which meant their deal ended. The only way Blizzard could continue operating their games (World of Warcraft, Overwatch 2 and everything else) in China would be to find a new company to partner with before their time ran out. They were not able to do that and so all their games went offline in China yesterday. That's a huge deal.

Apparently the deal ended quite acrimoniously. Blizzard said that they had asked Netease for a 6 month extension on the deal. On the same terms that weren't acceptable to Netease in the first place. This angered Netease so much that they publicly demolished a Blizzard Orc statue at the Blizzard China offices. When is the last time you saw a company this angry with their ex-partners?

Anyway this morning there was an in-game mail with an ingame item in Naraka Bladepoint (another Netease game) in which they sounded a little more reconciliatory(?). Maybe it just doesn't translate well.

---

This was the month I was hoping that Humble would send a discount coupon for the monthly choice bundle like they have every month for the past 4 or so months but they didn't. I guess that means this bundle has been selling well enough that they didn't feel the need to offer discounts. And it makes sense, it's an objectively good bundle if you don't have the games. I did already own half of them though. So I went ahead and just bought the games I was missing from a key site instead.

• Eyes
Reactions: Ge0force

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So why is it that the people who are playing the game have to shut up about it but the people who are 'clowning' on others for something that is none of their business won't do the same thing? How about those people shut the fuck up with their opinions?

Not buying a video game will never be a 'cause'. No boycott for a video game has ever worked, and never will. We all skip games for a variety of reasons. I've personally avoided games for extremely petty reasons at times. What I don't do is go around telling others that they should also not buy a thing I don't like and then publicly judge them or shame them for not doing what I wanted them to do. Not only is this actually pathetic, it also does not work. That is a lesson that has been driven home time and again since at least Horse Armor happened 15 odd years ago.

I hope Hogwarts turns out to be a good game and if it is, I hope it does well. I hope the same for the other controversial game releasing next month, Atomic Heart. Also keep in mind these games are only controversial in a tiny sliver of the internet. Most people do not care. Most people play games for entertainment and joy and relaxation. If you find yourself in a bubble of negativity and toxicity when it comes to games you should maybe step back and think about what you actually want from this hobby. Judging and shaming people for enjoying a game that you don't like is actually insane and toxic as fuck.
If a trans person is upset that people are giving money to someone who's extreme transphobic views are literally being used by people to justify pushing and supporting anti-LGBT bills. They have every right to. You can enjoy whatever you want who cares, it becomes an problem when you start hand waving real issues to justify playing a video game. Calling people toxic for that is a wild take.

I'm sorry if you don't like being told who you're giving money to when you buy certain products. But the people affected by these outlets have every right to do so. Going around trying to claim that the people criticizing you are the REAL baddies is disingenuous. Its obvious you're only trying to make yourself feel better.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Just came back to Android, sup
I am on Android since HTC Desire (I went from Nokia 5800 to HTC) and while I love that ecosystem I still admire iOS seamless transitions between most apps. And honestly if iPhone was more broadly available and better priced I would always recommend it to most od the family and relatives (yes I am sick of troubleshooting Android mobile issues for my family). That is why I am against moving iOS from closed ecosystem to more open one. Having option to pick closed ecosystem is still valid choice.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
I was also iOS user (Symbian before that) 10 years but decided to check the Android. There are some pros and cons on each world, but I think I am happier with Android.

I haven's missed iOS photo transfer challenges to Windows one bit. It was always disaster and got connection errors even when testing multiple different PCs. Never wanted to pay extra for the iCloud services to store the pics. Also it's super easy to drop other stuff like movies to Android mass memory for VLC use.

Also 120Hz display is super smooth. Was it so that this is still locked behind iPhone Pro models only?

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Not buying a video game will never be a 'cause'. No boycott for a video game has ever worked, and never will.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 says hi 😉

The only thing consumers can do against shitty business practices is raising their voice and voting with their wallets. I don't even wanna know what (PC) gaming would look like today if consumers didn't boycott shitty stuff like GFWL, UWP, pay2win, EA's project 10 dollars, NFT, EGS, the initial xbox360 DRM etc. That none of this became the norm today is mainly thanks to the people who DO give a shit about the future of their favorite hobby/passion.

This said, this is no excuse to be a jerk towards people who support these practices anyway. Just inform them with clear arguments and move on. No one will change their minds because of toxic behavior.

Riru

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

PC Version New Features
  • Japanese voice / English voice can be switched. (Easy to switch at any time during the event.)
  • Addition of free save. (You can now save freely during battle.)
  • Infinite use of items in EASY mode. (Items can now be used indefinitely only in EASY mode.)
  • Equipment removal (equipment can now be removed in the middle)
  • Adjustment of Itembreak. (Weapon does not break with Itembreak and is unusable.)
  • Completely compatible with in-game mouse / keyboard / controller.
  • You can adjust the layout of the keyboard buttons.

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
That's really strange.
Yeah, it seems like it was some random indie game before, but they updated all the depots with the tarkov launcher and just rebranded the page. It was originally called Escape from Tartarus from what I can gather. Can't find anything on the original devs other than the name "awstudios"

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.