Community MetaSteam | July 2019 - Racing Towards Empty Wallets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Because BI is a shit game with shit writing and shit mechanics that if it werent called Bioshock it would have been bashed by everyone.
I disagree regarding the mechanics.
They work and that is good enough for me. You can dislike it but i would not say they are bad.
The combat has a nice focus on mobility to keep distance between you and enemies and to regenerate ur shield etc.
While not all vigors can be helpful, the horse vigor is good to help take out enemies or keep certain enemies suspended to deal with others.
I mainly am using a shotgun+machine gun combo and hsrdly changed my.weapons. i dont know how tanky enemies are on normal mind u :x

Reactions: Milena

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Don't expect great regional prices for Monster Boy:

---

Or the other way around, if it weren't Bioshock there wouldn't haven been this imo completely hyberbolic backlash.
Well of course. That's even worse, IMO. BI is a corporate mandated game, it is FPS because it worked the last time, it had vigors because they worked the last time, etc. And of top of that, its sheer pretentiousness just threw me off. It is a mess of disjointed, dumb ideas that the game tries to pass as deep or interesting, despite a lot of the plot twist being almost pulled from its ass.

I disagree regarding the mechanics.
They work and that is good enough for me. You can dislike it but i would not say they are bad.
The combat has a nice focus on mobility to keep distance between you and enemies and to regenerate ur shield etc.
While not all vigors can be helpful, the horse vigor is good to help take out enemies or keep certain enemies suspended to deal with others.
I mainly am using a shotgun+machine gun combo and hsrdly changed my.weapons. i dont know how tanky enemies are on normal mind u :x
They are tanky on normal and even more on hard. And IMO you shouldnt have the need to hide behind cover if the game wants you blowing up shit with vigors and guns combos.

But hey, if you like it, that's fair!

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I'm still playing Underlords, it's fun. I generally don't like multiplayer games so the main appeal is that the game mostly plays itself.

Reactions: Milena

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
If anyone is playing Timespinner via Gamepass, use Shift + Win + Enter to go into fullscreen.
Good share. Found that out as well after spending more time than I wanted to trying to looking stuff up. How was this not just a setting in the menu?

I also spent like an hour troubleshooting why My Time In Portia just would not install. Microsoft Store continues to be bad and not having ownership over the folder where games get downloaded to is stupid. Will let this whole thing have some more time in the oven before I resub.

Reactions: xinek
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Isn't that true for all games nowadays?
Capitalism ho!
not really ... most indies and smaller games use volvo's suggestions ... and even big games have some sort of regional pricing (even if it's shit)

not many games go for "same price in every region"

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Well of course. That's even worse, IMO. BI is a corporate mandated game, it is FPS because it worked the last time, it had vigors because they worked the last time, etc. And of top of that, its sheer pretentiousness just threw me off. It is a mess of disjointed, dumb ideas that the game tries to pass as deep or interesting, despite a lot of the plot twist being almost pulled from its ass.

They are tanky on normal and even more on hard. And IMO you shouldnt have the need to hide behind cover if the game wants you blowing up shit with vigors and guns combos.

But hey, if you like it, that's fair!
Majority of my combat time doesnt have me behind cover
Cover or such is mainly to get a breather and set up ypur vigor combo attacks
Cover does not detract from the combat in this game and furthermore one needs only distance themselves and plan on the go
60 euros for a DS4, fuck my life. I can't possibly budget this shit. I mean, it's nearly what I would need to buy a Switch in four terms.
...Which I can't buy either.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here :fearful-face:
Hmm yeah the knockoffs may be ur best option if possible
Ds4 is great for me and would recommend it over the ds3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Playing Operencia Stolen Sun in gamepass right now and i don't think i've ever played a game where the characters had this much of a stick up their ass.

All dialogue sounds something like this:

"Let us walk evenly placed across this bridge my comrades"
"I will treat safely as i do not desire to trip and fall into the water"
"That is how to do it my friend"
"There, we have successfully moved across the bridge at an even pace and safely reached the other side"
"I am glad it happened like this, as this journey would have become quite uncomfortable to me if my pants were wettened in the rivers underneath."

Doesn't help that there are many voices but no acting, making everyone sound like they're a cashier at a supermarket.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Playing Operencia Stolen Sun in gamepass right now and i don't think i've ever played a game where the characters had this much of a stick up their ass.

"There, we have successfully moved across the bridge at an even pace and safely reached the other side"
"I am glad it happened like this, as this journey would have become quite uncomfortable to me if my pants were wettened in the rivers underneath."

Doesn't help that there are many voices but no acting, making everyone sound like they're a cashier at a supermarket.
:steam_pig_crylaughing:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Man, Bloodstained features some very questionable "puzzles". I got stuck because of those yellow spikes... and, to keep thing spoiler-free, with the second "moon thing" too. I mean, I like to think that I'm pretty good with puzzles (I've beaten every Cyan Worlds game without any guide/hint... including some rather obtuse puzzles... i.e., Obduction's telephone or Riven's colored marbles)...

I mean, I've been stuck in other types of games and to me the hallmark of good puzzle design is that whenever I have to look up the answer my reaction should be something akin to "Oh shit, why didn't I think of that" and not "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?" (one egregious example is the Unlock! Escape Adventures series of board games... some of those scenarios were designed by baboons with split-brain).

Reactions: xinek

JMTHEFOX

Planning to Be a Game Designer
Oct 4, 2018
Brooklyn, NY

That last line threw me off guard.

Reactions: Ge0force

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Done with Timespinner, really enjoyed it despite the limited level design. Kinda short and way too easy too, but those are pretty common problems in the genre...

I wonder if I should play Prey too, that should be right up my alley, but I'm a bit worried of the bloat, I don't like it when crafting/salvaging becomes a major part of the gameplay. Especially with limited inventory!
Good share. Found that out as well after spending more time than I wanted to trying to looking stuff up. How was this not just a setting in the menu?

I also spent like an hour troubleshooting why My Time In Portia just would not install. Microsoft Store continues to be bad and not having ownership over the folder where games get downloaded to is stupid. Will let this whole thing have some more time in the oven before I resub.
Gamepass is great, the Store is utter bollocks. Can't even tell how much a game wights once installed, gotta check that under Windows submenus... obviously you don't need info on the Xbox app, and even less of a folder, who could need that? Without even talking about Reshade.
But hey, at least you get the release date on the page, it has that over EGS...?
I found the game pretty deficient in general... interesting premise, but a budget of about 0 monies in cut scenes.
Hey, a dragon attack, let's just freeze the game and let's put a little still image in front of most of it! Great immersion to have half transparency and vignette mode in the back while the motion comic plays, and a very coherent artstyle of 3D backgrounds and ennemies, realistic 2D portraits, and a completely different almost anime-style stills... some imitating parchment, some bright and colorful, usually right after one another!
Where the fuck is the art direction in that game?

That and the absurd lack of visual options (I do love when "post processing" means adding and removing a mix of whatever adds a vaseline filter but butchers everything else because options are hard) made me stop in mere minutes.
And D-RPG is probably my second favourite type of game... but this one is more of a weirdly written adventure game with a strange turn based movement tacked on.

Reactions: Echoes

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Have you guys seen the latest Slime Rancher blog post? They explain how they revamped their slime shaders.

Personally I learned a few tricks (most notably the "distance field" bit).

Slime Rancher :: Slime Faces: Behind The Scenes
The other day I mentioned this blog post about some rendering techniques used by the Slime Rancher devs. Up until that point I had only heard of signed distance field because of Unity's TextMeshPro's implementation of Valve's algorithm.

For some reason I decided to delve into it a bit further and found this... an improved version of Valve's SDF : Chlumsky/msdfgen
The guy's thesis is available to read and it's pretty easy to understand (and usually I'm completely unable to understand mathematical formulas/notation/jargon)! https://github.com/Chlumsky/msdfgen/files/3050967/thesis.pdf

...I'm still on topic... right? I mentioned both Unity and Valve!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Don't expect great regional prices for Monster Boy:

---

Or the other way around, if it weren't Bioshock there wouldn't haven been this imo completely hyberbolic backlash.
Oh no.

Played both the Switch and PC demos for the game. Truly a great game, but no regional pricing? Eh.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I had a remarkable experience while gaming last night. Right after midnight, I was playing games at my pc, when suddenly a bunch of cops showed up at my back door, armed to the teeth and complete with dogs and shields and all that stuff. At the same time, two more police vehicles stopped in front of my house with even more of these guys. I had to pinch my arm to check if I was dreaming or not! 🤭

Anyway, these guys didn't come for me. Seems a patrol saw several men with flashlights in the real estate agency on the ground floor of the building I live in. There's a door between our hallway and the garage of that agency, so the next moment my house was filled with armed guys and dogs going down my stairs, while my wife quickly locked our poor cat in the kitchen.

They did a full sweep of the agency and all the back gardens of our neighbors, but couldn't find anything. I'm still not sure what this patrol actually saw, but it was impressive to see how fast and efficient the police did their job. ☺

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm...

Had a hard time yesterday with DS3 support on Steam.
Installed the official DS3 drivers that come with Playstation now.
Boot my PC today.
BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Hmm...

EDIT -
Trimmed my SSDS. Saw that I now have two new strange volumes. They need to be optimized, can't be optimized.
I feel like it is definitely not my week end.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I just finished Virtue's Last Reward (20 hours)
wat :dizzy-face:

I gave up trying to process all the twists and turns toward the end and just went with the flow.
This is too complicated for me :cold-sweat:

Certainly was a very wild ride, but overall I think I still like 999 more.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Everytime I see police cars now I am reminded of the evening some idiot drove into a restaurant in my hometown. I went grocery shopping and on the main street there were dozens of police cars and buses lined up and hundreds of bored policemen standing around next to them. While I casually walked by wearing my Giant Bomb hoodie...

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Thinking about buying the Switch Vouchers. I know I am 100% sure getting FE: Three Houses (previews are glowing and I really like the other games in the series), Zelda and Luigis Mansion 3. Will have to see reviews about Astral Chain and Marvel. Not sure about DQXI.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Switch 2018 was barren, first half of 2019 uninteresting, but damn beginning with July it"s lit.
At least one interesting game a month.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Hmm...

Had a hard time yesterday with DS3 support on Steam.
Installed the official DS3 drivers that come with Playstation now.
Boot my PC today.
BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Hmm...

EDIT -
Trimmed my SSDS. Saw that I now have two new strange volumes. They need to be optimized, can't be optimized.
I feel like it is definitely not my week end.

Your best option is to use DS4Windows.
This'll make your PC treat the controller as an Xbox One or 360 controller.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Your best option is to use DS4Windows.
This'll make your PC treat the controller as an Xbox One or 360 controller.
I knew I was forgetting some newer driver than SCP, thanks Tizoc ! :cat-heart-blob:

Edit - Oh, no DS3 support.
Well, it was ample time to sell some stuff in order to gain a little money I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhaZZe

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Jesus Christ who thought not being able to fast forward dialogue lines and instead being forced to completely listen to every voiced line in Zero Time Dilemma was a good idea!?
I read way faster then that so it feels like the game is horribly slow...

I knew I was forgetting some newer driver than SCP, thanks Tizoc ! :cat-heart-blob:

Edit - Oh, no DS3 support.
Well, it was ample time to sell some stuff in order to gain a little money I guess.
Fwiw I've been using SCP for ages and it works totally fine? (Can't use native Steam because my it's old as hell and my analogue sticks have horrible drift, and I've never managed to set the deadzones in a way to compensate for that with Steam...)

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, uninstalled Playstation Now and Sony DS drivers, no more strange new SSD volumes.
Go home Sony, you're drunk.

Reactions: QFNS and derExperte

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I don't doubt it's a good game. It's just that loot games aren't for me. I didn't enjoy other loot games as well (Destiny, Diablo 3 etc) because I don't care about playing the same levels over and over again, only to get the same weapon I already have with improved stats.

I rather prefer rogue-likes like Enter the Gungeon, because the levels are always different and you actually unlock unique wapens and stuff in that game.
Yeah I kinda wish i'd known this going in, as grindy/loot stuff isn't my kind of thing at all. And in fact I'd argue it's not even clear that this is what's expected of you in EDF =/

All told though, this now means that EDF can be considered a shlooter, and one that lashman likes :p

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Thinking about buying the Switch Vouchers. I know I am 100% sure getting FE: Three Houses (previews are glowing and I really like the other games in the series), Zelda and Luigis Mansion 3. Will have to see reviews about Astral Chain and Marvel. Not sure about DQXI.
I used a voucher on SMM2, and there are about 6 candidates for the second voucher. I'm thinking of getting another set, especially since I just bought a bunch of discounted eshop credit (10% off) when raise.com had a $5 off sale. And got another SD card, too. I wish other stores would copy this idea. It would be dreamy if Steam did it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I just finished Virtue's Last Reward (20 hours)
wat :dizzy-face:

I gave up trying to process all the twists and turns toward the end and just went with the flow.
This is too complicated for me :cold-sweat:

Certainly was a very wild ride, but overall I think I still like 999 more.
You finished all of VLR in 20 hours? Wow, took me longer than 999, actually. Like close to 40 hours.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Well for better or worse that's how we've been "trained".
There's basically a sale going on every day if you consider all the 3rd party stores. Why buy something full price?
You finished all of VLR in 20 hours? Wow, took me longer than 999, actually. Like close to 40 hours.
Well 999 only took me ~11 hours, so VLR was almost double length.

Deleted member 113

It seems adventure games in the style of old NES adventure games/ports like Shadowgate, Uninvited, and Déjà Vu are back in fashion.

Recently, and as I already mentioned before, From Beyond: Prologue was released on Steam:

And, I just discovered a developer who has been doing similar games, and they look quite cool.

His previous one is Infested, which you can download for free on Itch.io:

And he is currently working on a new one called Spectacle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I got used to the cutscenes in ZTD. Things seem to pick up after the initial setup scenes. The first fragment I did after all the voting was
The one with Akane and Carlos in the pantry where severed body parts were laying around and after solving the puzzle you find Junpei's severed head and then Akane goes batshit with a chainsaw and Carlos gets a choice and it ends either with him killing Akane and losing a hand in the process or killing himself with an axe.

That was wild.

Reactions: fsdood

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Bioshock Inf. B10
Last 1/3 of the game is really bad, just waves after waves of enemies. By that point I've had my fill of the game but I needed to beat it just to properly judge it and IMO it's a game with a strong start, but afterwards is slowly becomes undone. The areas you explored all came off as small areas that are stitched together as if each group of the team working on the game was assigned a specific area to design then the end product of the game stitched them together.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Bioshock Inf. B10
Last 1/3 of the game is really bad, just waves after waves of enemies. By that point I've had my fill of the game but I needed to beat it just to properly judge it and IMO it's a game with a strong start, but afterwards is slowly becomes undone. The areas you explored all came off as small areas that are stitched together as if each group of the team working on the game was assigned a specific area to design then the end product of the game stitched them together.

Watch it when you're done!

Status
Not open for further replies.