Community MetaSteam | July 2021 - Corporate Propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Yikes! Yeah can't imagine having to deal with that, especially in a game that's likely to be not so short, considering it's a JRPG. Was the port's budget a bag of chips? How can a main combat mechanic cause black screen/ big graphical glitches? 🤦‍♂️
Indeed.

BTW, I also can't launch Disgaea 1 PC. It's weird because I can launch it months ago, but somehow it refuses to launch now. It's like my rig is cursed or something. :disappointed-face:

• Sad
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Had thoughts on this blog post. Yes, it is another developer discussing discoverability on Steam.

I will keep my text contained below, since it is huge blurb. No pressure to read it haha. :goodmorningblob:

Quick disclaimers: I think developers are completely within their right to discuss discoverability and would never want to appear as though I think such discussion is bad per se! Also, I am not a developer, which would likely lead to justifiable groans from those very same developers.

The dev lists three arguments which I summarized to (1) The algorithm will always miss games since it focuses on the numerical data and leaves out subjective experience (2) The discoverability rewards some types of games and punishes other types of games (3) The rewards and punishments given to types of games has a negative impact on the medium as a whole.

To start, anytime the topic of discoverability is discussed. I think the problem statement is rarely clearly stated. What does the developer want the platform to solve by making changes to discoverability? Is the problem visibility or is it sales or both and/or something else? One can imagine a scenario where one game is shown to 100 people and 40 people buy the game, another game is shown to 500 people and 25 people buy the game, another game is shown to 10 and no one buys the game, etc. In the first there was less visibility and more sales, the second more visibility and less sales, the third less visibility and less sales, etc. These scenarios could be played out a lot of different ways, but the point I am arguing is visibility can be separated from sales.

I would agree that, in general, if a game is shown to fewer customers, then it will sale less compared to if it was shown to more customers. However, I think this may not apply to specific games (e.g. a game may be so bad/good that this assumption would not hold true). Consequently, I think using this as an argument at least carries some asterisks that it may not apply in every case. Which interestingly enough, these discussions tend to leave out any specific examples of games that could be solved by addressing the problem statement and are usually vague (e.g. genre X would benefit, instead of game Y would benefit). I argue folks tend to be less than clear about what they want solved and yet it is absolutely critical to determining how you can solve it AND provide a point of measure to the success of the solution.

Based on what this developer has written, they are arguing (Steam) discoverability needs to solve visibility AND sales AND address its role in impacting what games are made. Though I think they are conflating visibility AND sales in their actual argument and I think there is good reason to look at it separate, more below.

Anyway, on to their points:
(1) The algorithm relies on numerical data, such as time played, and consequently misses the more subjective experiences in our overall experiences with games when it comes to recommending

This handwaves so many of the discoverability features on Steam. I would argue systems like curators, groups, friend lists, community reviews, activity feeds, etc. are a part of the overall systems Steam has in place and are important to supplement all of its systems. These are the ways to factor the subjective experience. Like visual novels? Join a VN group. Like immersive sims? Find a curator who reviews immersive sims. It can be easy to think that Steam deserves no credit for them since they do not require you interact with these systems, but they are additional avenues for discoverability that allow for more subjectivity.

Even still, the actual argument is Steam recommendations should factor more than numerical data and include subjective experiences. This is not necessarily a bad suggestion, but a risky one. I argue there is a balance to how a platform can provide recommendations AND still have folks engaging with those recommendations. Going back to the general assumption that showing more people a game means more sales. Remember, it is an assumption that could hold the opposite. If every time you go into a store and are constantly recommended items you are not interested in, would you be more or less likely to use that store (or at least more or less likely to listen to those recommendations)? Most stores, physical or digital, will arrange items strategically to keep you engaged and tailor their recommendations in a way that may benefit the largest common denominator, but also ensures folks keep coming in the door. Some folks want a game about a travelling mime in Belarus post-USSR, others, not so much (though sign me up). How many times could you recommend and get it wrong before there are impacts?

Subjectivity is tricky to narrow down as it can differ wildly from person to person and is potentially unmeasurable. Does that mean subjective factors are better/worse than objective factors, not at all, but it also creates a risk for the platform to try to benefit each and every unique individual rather than a more collective approach. Really it comes down to those "safer" recommendations get folks in the door and maybe they look around a little more and find the "risker" recommendations. This is more of a utilitarian counterargument, but it can be summed as the current method ensures the largest number of folks are engaged with the store and leads to more sales.

(2) The discoverability rewards some types of games and punishes other types of games AND (3) The rewards and punishments given to types of games has a negative impact on the medium as a whole.

This has taken me awhile to write, so I will not spend too much time with these two points and I think they are very similar. Though I will say the focus here by the dev is GAaS/multiplayer/etc. as winning and narrative/singleplayer as losing. For the record, I dislike GAaS. However, I think GAsS are quickly becoming the reality TV of the gaming world in more ways than one (I could write a whole article on this comparison alone haha). Industry folks and critics would deride the fact that the general public would becoming so enthralled with trash TV, ignoring critical points of why realty TV became so popular (perfect water cooler convo talk, escapism, dynamic/less scripted feel, etc.). What's more is it never killed off scripted shows like it was feared.

In a similar way, I think it is interesting to see the contempt to GAaS, particular from folks close to the industry. Too often implying they are less than narrative games. Again, I say this as someone who dislikes GAaS in their current form, I think it is too quick to ignore why they are popular and focus only on why a platform like Steam would recommend them over a narrative game (e.g. this past year in particular with Covid meant lots of folks looking for elements that GAaS provide).

Anyway I could rant for another 5000 words, but I will stop there. I just read this article earlier and saw a few indie devs comment. Felt like I wanted to respond to it.

TL;DR I am just having a bit of a rant, feel free to ignore haha

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, toying a little with Windows 10 start menu now that it is to be replaced, I'm not the quickest of the bunch for sure.
Just a question I have little hope of being answered positively : is there no way to change icons that get pinned to the start menu ? I mean when it's a Win10 app or a Game Pass game all if well, but for normal shortcuts it's very MEH.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Had thoughts on this blog post. Yes, it is another developer discussing discoverability on Steam.

I will keep my text contained below, since it is huge blurb. No pressure to read it haha. :goodmorningblob:

Quick disclaimers: I think developers are completely within their right to discuss discoverability and would never want to appear as though I think such discussion is bad per se! Also, I am not a developer, which would likely lead to justifiable groans from those very same developers.

The dev lists three arguments which I summarized to (1) The algorithm will always miss games since it focuses on the numerical data and leaves out subjective experience (2) The discoverability rewards some types of games and punishes other types of games (3) The rewards and punishments given to types of games has a negative impact on the medium as a whole.

To start, anytime the topic of discoverability is discussed. I think the problem statement is rarely clearly stated. What does the developer want the platform to solve by making changes to discoverability? Is the problem visibility or is it sales or both and/or something else? One can imagine a scenario where one game is shown to 100 people and 40 people buy the game, another game is shown to 500 people and 25 people buy the game, another game is shown to 10 and no one buys the game, etc. In the first there was less visibility and more sales, the second more visibility and less sales, the third less visibility and less sales, etc. These scenarios could be played out a lot of different ways, but the point I am arguing is visibility can be separated from sales.

I would agree that, in general, if a game is shown to fewer customers, then it will sale less compared to if it was shown to more customers. However, I think this may not apply to specific games (e.g. a game may be so bad/good that this assumption would not hold true). Consequently, I think using this as an argument at least carries some asterisks that it may not apply in every case. Which interestingly enough, these discussions tend to leave out any specific examples of games that could be solved by addressing the problem statement and are usually vague (e.g. genre X would benefit, instead of game Y would benefit). I argue folks tend to be less than clear about what they want solved and yet it is absolutely critical to determining how you can solve it AND provide a point of measure to the success of the solution.

Based on what this developer has written, they are arguing (Steam) discoverability needs to solve visibility AND sales AND address its role in impacting what games are made. Though I think they are conflating visibility AND sales in their actual argument and I think there is good reason to look at it separate, more below.

(1) The algorithm relies on numerical data, such as time played, and consequently misses the more subjective experiences in our overall experiences with games when it comes to recommending

This handwaves so many of the discoverability features on Steam. I would argue systems like curators, groups, friend lists, community reviews, activity feeds, etc. are a part of the overall systems Steam has in place and are important to supplement all of its systems. These are the ways to factor the subjective experience. Like visual novels? Join a VN group. Like immersive sims? Find a curator who reviews immersive sims. It can be easy to think that Steam deserves no credit for them since they do not require you interact with these systems, but they are additional avenues for discoverability that allow for more subjectivity.

Even still, the actual argument is Steam recommendations should factor more than numerical data and include subjective experiences. This is not necessarily a bad suggestion, but a risky one. I argue there is a balance to how a platform can provide recommendations AND still have folks engaging with those recommendations. Going back to the general assumption that showing more people a game means more sales. Remember, it is an assumption that could hold the opposite. If every time you go into a store and are constantly recommended items you are not interested in, would you be more or less likely to use that store (or at least more or less likely to listen to those recommendations)? Most stores, physical or digital, will arrange items strategically to keep you engaged and tailor their recommendations in a way that may benefit the largest common denominator, but also ensures folks keep coming in the door. Some folks want a game about a travelling mime in Belarus post-USSR, others, not so much (though sign me up). How many times could you recommend and get it wrong before there are impacts?

Subjectivity is tricky to narrow down as it can differ wildly from person to person and is potentially unmeasurable. Does that mean subjective factors are better/worse than objective factors, not at all, but it also creates a risk for the platform to try to benefit each and every unique individual rather than a more collective approach. Really it comes down to those "safer" recommendations get folks in the door and maybe they look around a little more and find the "risker" recommendations. This is more of a utilitarian counterargument, but it can be summed as the current method ensures the largest number of folks are engaged with the store and leads to more sales.

(2) The discoverability rewards some types of games and punishes other types of games AND (3) The rewards and punishments given to types of games has a negative impact on the medium as a whole.

This has taken me awhile to write, so I will not spend too much time with these two points and I think they are very similar. Though I will say the focus here by the dev is GAaS/multiplayer/etc. as winning and narrative/singleplayer as losing. For the record, I dislike GAaS. However, I think GAsS are quickly becoming the reality TV of the gaming world in more ways than one (I could write a whole article on this comparison alone haha). Industry folks and critics would deride the fact that the general public would becoming so enthralled with trash TV, ignoring critical points of why realty TV became so popular (perfect water cooler convo talk, escapism, dynamic/less scripted feel, etc.). What's more is it never killed off scripted shows like it was feared.

In a similar way, I think it is interesting to see the contempt to GAaS, particular from folks close to the industry. Too often implying they are less than narrative games. Again, I say this as someone who dislikes GAaS in their current form, I think it is too quick to ignore why they are popular and focus only on why a platform like Steam would recommend them over a narrative game (e.g. this past year in particular with Covid meant lots of folks looking for elements that GAaS provide).

Anyway I could rant for another 5000 words, but I will stop there. I just read this article earlier and saw a few indie devs comment. Felt like I wanted to respond to it.

The latter two arguments are very uninteresting to me, as it's just the usual cry about curation but made to look more "philosophical" when it's really just sophism. These points apply to any system that attempts to solve discoverability, short of just having a list of games and nothing else.

The point of about numerical data is interesting, but I think also not well put. I'll try to formulate it better: The system uses tags which are provided by users, ( and btw not really numerical ). It also uses curators (people who write reviews) and allows customers to follow one or more of such curators to get their recommendations. Of course it's true that gaming can be art, and art is not easily categorised. Games that garner few such tags because of their unique nature will probably be recommended to fewer people. This argument isn't really made in the article, but I assume that's the point this developer is making. How to increase the visibility of very unique games, with few comparison points to existing ones?
I wonder if Steam could use slight randomisation here? Allow games with few tags and other information points to appear more often in customers discovery queues and things like that. This wouldn't even be unfair to other games, if indeed games with few tags do get "punished" by the current system Steam has in place.

Ultimately, I find it kinda funny how much criticism you hear about Steam on this front, and essentially nothing about Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, when it seems like (going by the recent expose by one developer) those are ages behind what Steam is doing, and far more random and capricious.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

I first thought it was a blog post by Simon Carless. Maybe it is the layout, or the title of the post, but I was mislead. It is actually written by a developer called Johnnemann Nordhagen (Gone Home in 2013, Where the Water Tastes like Wine in 2018). The first game is a very short single-player walking experience, which was well-known (17k Steam reviews). The second is an experimental single-player walking game, which was not successful at all (less than 1k Steam reviews).

We can flip that construction on its head to figure out what sort of games get the least help from Steam. That’s not to say that these games can’t sell on the platform, but they are the sort of titles that need to work harder to do well. The worst type of game would seem to be single-player, short, not updated with new content frequently, appealing to a niche audience, or experimental and unlike any type of game that already exists.
I believe this is correct.

But: is this the world that gamers, developers, and platforms would LIKE to exist? Again, by playing kingmaker here Valve not only influences what does well in the current marketplace, but also what gets made in the future. They are not just recognizing the rise of GaaS, but also promoting it. Personally, the kind of games I love to play and make are generally small, unique, narrative-focused, and do not have broad audience appeal — exactly the sort of title that gets no help from Steam’s algorithms.
And this is not correct in my opinion.

Sure, Steam250 and GameDataCrunch provide rankings of hidden gems, and these must be among the most popular rankings on these websites from what I can tell. For instance, if you search https://www.google.com/search?q=steam250 you should see a direct link to the ranking of hidden gems.

However, I remember a time when SteamDB tested ranking algorithms. Method 2 was about surfacing hidden gems. It was not popular. 😭

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
From Valve's perspective, [TOOLTIP=Most people won't purchase more than 50 games on Steam in their lifetime.][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]the majority of customers are new[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] [1][/TOOLTIP] and consume a few games per year, so it makes sense to recommend popular games.

Finally, let us be serious for a second. Valve's algorithm has an impact (games appear in the section for "popular new releases"), but not that big. Indeed, people who want to discover games look at what their "influencers" advertise, they ask their friends for recommendations, they check their Steam activity feed for what their contacts have purchased, they check what is trending on SteamDB, Twitch, etc. If they know dedicated people, like lashman or Mor, who check every store page, the curation/discovery work is manually done for them. If they want to look for hidden gems, they check forum threads, Reddit threads during sales, Steam250, GameDataCrunch, etc.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Interesting link and post, thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree that a system based on algorithms is bound to have a few blind spots. One could argue that the best solution would be a combination of both AI and human recommendation, the algorithm pushes popular games while humans handpick niche titles for promotion. The issue is that as soon as you introduce the human element you put Valve in the same place that it moved away from, the arbiter of which games are worthy of being promoted and which aren't. Not to mention that a human can have just as many gaming blind spots as AI. Ultimately, while there is no perfect system, the algorithm and recommendation systems seem to be relatively competent in pairing customers with games they want to play. In theory a customer like the one the dev describes (someone who likes short experimental narrative games) should be getting recommendations of such games.

One issue that the developer points out is quite interesting as a philosophical discussion. How do you get people to try games that are out of their comfort zone? On the surface it seems wrong to recommend people games that they are unlikely to enjoy, but maybe there is room for a sort of "let's get nuts" button. A way to tell the system "yes, I know I have been playing this and this and this but now I want something completely different. Show me what you got".

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

Italy is known worldwide for food, art, design, fashion and cars. Yet, Italy is also the home of many video games. Works of international scope, winners of numerous prizes and awards.

On the occasion of the new edition of First Playable, Italy's leading international event about game business, more than 70 Italian development studios have joined forces for this special promotion that will last from 1st to 5th July!

Discover Italy through more than 150 unique video games!
Buon divertimento!

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
Ultimately, I find it kinda funny how much criticism you hear about Steam on this front, and essentially nothing about Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft, when it seems like (going by the recent expose by one developer) those are ages behind what Steam is doing, and far more random and capricious.
I imagine it happens because Steam is literally the only avenue these devs have to make money. It does feel strange though to so strongly criticize the only platform that actually wants you there.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Oh wow, still haven't touched any of the DLCs that have releases so far, so will try. Valhalla is a game I just play with controller anyways.

• Gib
  • Eyes
Reactions: Prodigy and madjoki

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I imagine it happens because Steam is literally the only avenue these devs have to make money. It does feel strange though to so strongly criticize the only platform that actually wants you there.
Also Volvo is chill af and doesn't retalliate unless you, dunno, threaten their employees with violence.
Same can't be said for the console companies.

sanhora

Baldr Sky
Dec 7, 2018
Just saw there was an interview (in Finnish) with Housemarque about the Sony acquisition.
Apparently Sony wasn't the only party interested in them, but there were also "the usual suspects" from USA, Sweden and China. I'm guessing Tencent, Embracer and maybe Microsoft?
According to them, Sony wanted Housemarque because "they're doing something that others aren't doing" and Sony doesn't want to turn them into a generic Sony studio that churns out games with the same old formula that Sony's known for.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Just saw there was an interview (in Finnish) with Housemarque about the Sony acquisition.
Apparently Sony wasn't the only party interested in them, but there were also "the usual suspects" from USA, Sweden and China. I'm guessing Tencent, Embracer and maybe Microsoft?
According to them, Sony wanted Housemarque because "they're doing something that others aren't doing" and Sony doesn't want to turn them into a generic Sony studio that churns out games with the same old formula that Sony's known for.
There is time for them to change their mind XD Many studios made things that other didn't and then they were either closed or changed how they operated. Sony Japan is obvious example, Sony Santa Monica indie initiative, hell even Guerilla went from FPS to TPS even though most of their output is TPS.

Reactions: sanhora

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nexusmods "takes away" the mod authors ability to delete their own mods:

Some mod authors: HEY! those are MY RIGHTS you are infringing on!!!!!1111"

The actual developer of the game:
If you are implying that developers have any rights at all to mods of their games, then I'd like to hear an argument why this should be the case. I fundamentally disagree with that idea, and also see no legal basis for it. (Of course, this does not include cases in which the mod distributes anything at all for which the mod author doesn't have the copyright)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
If you are implying that developers have any rights at all to mods of their games, then I'd like to hear an argument why this should be the case. I fundamentally disagree with that idea, and also see no legal basis for it. (Of course, this does not include cases in which the mod distributes anything at all for which the mod author doesn't have the copyright)
No, the Developer doesn't have any rights on the mod. But the developer has the rights on all game files that can be modded. And either they gave permission to mod the game or modding falls under fair use.

Mod authors throwing a tantrum and trying to argue about Copyright have no foot to stand on when their mod is based on the copyright of other parties.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Fuck, I just learnt that some achievements of Ray Gigant are glitched. And I don't want to use Steam Achievement Manager to unlock them. My will to continue playing immediately drops to zero. :rolleyes:

Edit: It seems that there is another game breaking bug that may prevent people from finishing the game. What the hell. I am dropping this.
That's a shame. I played through the game without any game-breaking issues. While it's not amazing and took me 2 tries to warm up to it, I had a good time in the end.
Though I also don't care much about achievements. Case in point: I wouldn't even have realized that I'm missing some achievements I should obviously have after just a quick look over the list if you hadn't said anything - and I finished the game 2 years ago :whistle:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
FYI The itch.io Launcher App. I have been having issues where games i have purchased would not launch, the launcher would ask for elevation and then fail with an "API 400" error which is "You have not purchased this game.".
I have tracked this down to what i assume is a failure when the launcher created the sandbox user account. It did not copy the username & password for the sandbox account into my normal account. I copied the sandbox values in the "HKCU\Software\itch\sandbox" from the admin account registry to my normal user account registry and games launch just fine from the itch launcher now.

Obviously this won't be a problem to any nutters that have admin rights on their normal user accounts but it might help some other peeps here.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
For some reason I see people complaining that there are no RPGs coming out anytime soon, but they are so wrong. It's like they don't know any RPG developers outside of Bethesda, Bioware and Obsidian. There are so many RPGs coming out either this year or next:
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
  • Gamedec
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (full version)
  • Black Geyser
  • Disciples: Liberation
  • King's Bounty II
  • Encased
  • Expeditions: Rome
  • Colony Ship
Plus Starfield assuming it doesn't get delayed.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That's a shame. I played through the game without any game-breaking issues. While it's not amazing and took me 2 tries to warm up to it, I had a good time in the end.
Though I also don't care much about achievements. Case in point: I wouldn't even have realized that I'm missing some achievements I should obviously have after just a quick look over the list if you hadn't said anything - and I finished the game 2 years ago :whistle:
Yeah, I am the type of person who tries to get as much from a game as possible, so achievement is part of the fun. Glitch achievement really annoys me :disappointed-face:

After searching, it seems that the PSV version does not have these problems. I may return to the game if I can get a cheap copy down the road as I was having fun with it.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
No, the Developer doesn't have any rights on the mod. But the developer has the rights on all game files that can be modded.
Absolutely, but mod authors (at least legitimate ones I'm talking about) aren't distributing ("copying", that is) any of those files. So I'm not sure why the developer's copyright should ever factor into the distribution of such mods (and I'd argue the majority of mods are like that).

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Absolutely, but mod authors (at least legitimate ones I'm talking about) aren't distributing ("copying", that is) any of those files. So I'm not sure why the developer's copyright should ever factor into the distribution of such mods.
Because it is hypocritical. Criticizing what happens with their files after they upload it to a website (that has a "we can do with your files whatever we want" policy for years) when their work is reliant on the work and goodwill of the original developers.

I love mods.
I love the modmakers.
I spent thousands upon thousands of hours in mods, some games I only play because of mods.
But I also love the idea of the artistic, anarchistic, free nature of mods. Use it as a proof of concept, proof of their skills, as a stepping stone on your CV as a developer, use it as bragging rights, use it to fix a fucking bug that the community wanted the developer to fix for ages.
But when the mod is released, it is free for all.

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018

I guess the gaming media dogpiling on Sony past few days help show that user reviews aren't quite as evil originally believed.
Very interesting article. This part in particular:

“I think the complaints are rooted in genuine concern, but not necessarily rooted in what’s actually best for everyone vs what would be best for their personal feelings,” Szymanski said over email. “It’s almost always someone who’s angry — about a review they got, the reception their game received etc. — or someone that’s scared because they’ve absorbed this narrative that there’s a mob of slobbering feral capital ‘G’ Gamers out there just waiting for an indie game to review bomb into obscurity.”
I have said it more times than I can count but it's unbelievable just how much disdain the gaming industry has for its audience. Also:

I think developers need to put themselves in the mindset of their players more often. After all, if not for them – who are you making games for?
If only.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's been three week since I got mine and I haven't driven for 6 years. White knuckle moments at the wheel for a while haha.
I remember when I went to test drive the car that I was very nervous and was scared about what would happen if I crashed or something. Especially seeing how the reason that I didn't have a car any more was because of a car accident that I was in. I was nervous and then the dealer guy was telling me how the gas was low and that we should get gas and that meant I would have to get on the freeway..... Oh no.

Here is a picture of the car

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018

First of all, thanks for the interesting read. I don't have a lot to add to what people already wrote, because I don't think there is a good solution for everyone right now. I really like short story heavy single games, but since I also play a lot of open world games in the "brains-off" mode, even among my own tastes is hard to weight them properly. But solutions introducing qualitative/human elements gets on the curation territory with it's own problems and probably a worse situation overall.

Valve's seems to be trying to get around that by giving weight for community (not only curators) recommendations, so maybe that's a path. One thing I would like is for them is to give "advanced" users more precise tools to filter things. For example: I filter out the "Free to play" tags because a lot of GaaS/timesink games have it, but some interesting experimental projects end up going along with it. Hopefully they add a Steamlab with some more precise filtering, and them maybe use that data to feed the almighty algorithm.

I guess the gaming media dogpiling on Sony past few days help show that user reviews aren't quite as evil originally believed.
I really don't understand how you can actually use the Steam (and others platforms) to actually buy games and not see the value of the users reviews. Yes, the shitty examples of people abusing it makes the headlines, but every single time I'm going to buy a game I check them out. They are not the single factor in the final decision, but are so useful in pointing out "red flags" about a game.

Heck, even review-bombings (that you can now filter out) are useful to me. It can be either "hmmmm this developer is doing something shitty so maybe I shouldn't buy from them" or " 'gamers' are being stupid again to I should probably support this game".

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I remember when I went to test drive the car that I was very nervous and was scared about what would happen if I crashed or something. Especially seeing how the reason that I didn't have a car any more was because of a car accident that I was in. I was nervous and then the dealer guy was telling me how the gas was low and that we should get gas and that meant I would have to get on the freeway..... Oh no.

Here is a picture of the car

Wow. I would never even dare drive this in my current state hahaha. Vroom indeed.

Also, nice ride!

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

I will open the thread 1 Hour before the first game is played :)

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Probably my best Half-Life Alyx screenshot i ever made

Now imagine this on PSVR

I am curious about what it will be like once it does get released on that and if people make a big deal about it (when it actually does release) or if it will release and people will very quickly forget about it. I'm curious if people will demand the haptic feedback thing.

By the way YouTube has gone to far

I was looking up the OST of No More Heroes since my N/S CEs just arrived and I saw this one ad about kids book that teach conservativism (which I mean hey teach your kids or what ever ) but what I found funny is what they were talking about and how they kept talking about Communism and were using images of the Soviet Union (and sure there are some people here on MC that use stuff like that but that's not like a huge amount of people that do that). What is also funny is that there is this one part about supply and demand and things like that (and sure) but what was funny is how at the end the kid is telling his mom that he "demands" cookie since the cookie bowl is empty, and well depending on your parent that would get you a whooping.

Karen's is how the books seemed to target is how I felt about the thing.

Also just as a reminder that is an ad that I got when I was watching the no more heroes OST on YouTube.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have played the demo prologue of Lacuna. It is a pixel-art sci-fi detective story, a bit like The Dark-side Detective but without the humour. It works well.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the mention! I've been so busy the last couple days and completely missed that trailer. :cat-heart-blob:

I'm so glad they're finally adding a western town. It looks so good and getting into shootouts in that area is going to be incredible! :dmcblob:

And hopefully with the move to a western setting we'll get to see some famous outlaws and gunslingers added, or at least characters styled after them. There's so many great ones to choose from and some lesser known ones that would be a good fit too. I'd love to see one styled after Mary Fields for example.

I also believe Native American characters are confirmed or at least strongly hinted at and I can only hope they're added respectfully.

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
so here i am here to shill for Wildermyth , that shit is tough as hell but great fun :partyblob:

My first run didnt go that well everyone died with lashy being the last one to die :dizzy-face:
lashman-named character progresses quite nicely though in the run

Parsnip
+snarky Lambda Burst Queen

few tombs for dead party members Wibblewozzer, ramoisdead, Mor

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Thank you all for reading my late night rant haha. :goodmorningblob:

I definitely found the timing funny as well! The fact that this week we were having conversations about how Sony is making it hard for indies to even put their game on sale, let alone be discovered and purchased. To complain how Steam may be recommending games like Apex Legends over indies seems like an issue that is far less damaging or unexpected to the medium.

However, I remember a time when SteamDB tested ranking algorithms. Method 2 was about surfacing hidden gems. It was not popular. 😭
From Valve's perspective, [TOOLTIP="Most people won't purchase more than 50 games on Steam in their lifetime."][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL][UWSL]the majority of customers are new[/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL][/UWSL] [1][/TOOLTIP] and consume a few games per year, so it makes sense to recommend popular games.
Lots of really interesting information! I had no idea SteamDB tested surfacing hidden gems and proved it was unpopular! That really highlights the risks involved with trying to surface niche games and risk losing engagement with the platform as a whole.

It also really does make sense that Valve would treat customers as new as a general assumption. Anecdotal for sure, but most of my friends tend to pick up games rarely, and as such, they are more likely to stick to the popular games since they have not played them. For myself, I have so many games (in my backlog :sweaty-blob: ) that I like to see those less popular games. Even then, like you said, going through the discovery queue is...misses more than hits that I prefer sticking to what I see in my recommended carousel unless I am feeling extra spicy that day or Valve rewards me with a trading card.

One issue that the developer points out is quite interesting as a philosophical discussion. How do you get people to try games that are out of their comfort zone? On the surface it seems wrong to recommend people games that they are unlikely to enjoy, but maybe there is room for a sort of "let's get nuts" button. A way to tell the system "yes, I know I have been playing this and this and this but now I want something completely different. Show me what you got".
This is the billion dollar question and a really interesting one for discussion. I think as long as time and money are a factor, the answer may be less than ideal, but it is something I would love to see discussion on. I like the idea of the "show me something completely different" button/system. I feel like the bones of the interactive recommender could support something like this, but I think the interactive recommender still needs some tweaks to bring it more into the Steam store. It technically has integration in the "Players like you love" section if I recall correctly, maybe adding something optional more along the lines of "Players different from you love" or something haha.

First of all, thanks for the interesting read. I don't have a lot to add to what people already wrote, because I don't think there is a good solution for everyone right now. I really like short story heavy single games, but since I also play a lot of open world games in the "brains-off" mode, even among my own tastes is hard to weight them properly. But solutions introducing qualitative/human elements gets on the curation territory with it's own problems and probably a worse situation overall.
Exactly! For example, I am likely to recommend more popular titles before actually recommending anything niche to folks. This logic would be the easiest and most reasonable for a human reviewer to carry out short of having an extended conversation with the person browsing the store, but this sort of curation would run into the exact issues with surfacing only popular titles over everything else.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I like the idea of the "show me something completely different" button/system. I feel like the bones of the interactive recommender could support something like this, but I think the interactive recommender still needs some tweaks to bring it more into the Steam store. It technically has integration in the "Players like you love" section if I recall correctly, maybe adding something optional more along the lines of "Players different from you love" or something haha.
I would never, ever click on something like this, and that's speaking as someone who's more of a game enthusiast than the average person. I've always found this idea that a store should advertise for its products to be weird. It's nice, I guess, if it works, because the products and the store make money, and maybe customers found something interesting. But really, I learn about products and services from others, word of mouth, ads, articles, and FOMO. Not from going to a store, whether it's Steam, Amazon, or an IRL store like Target. It just all comes back to there are more games than available time and attention in the world.

Speaking of which, give Dyson Sphere Program a try if you like factory games. I've put in several hours already (based on word of mouth here), and if you like Factorio, this is similar. I'm still struggling with my automation on one corner of a planet, and it's hard to imagine ever being able to build a Dyson sphere. The scope is just awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.