Community MetaSteam | July 2021 - Corporate Propaganda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I mean I am tempted to grab Ys VIII while it is still that price, but it more looks like I am just encouraging them.
I also considered doing so but fuck that, these aren't early access games hitting 1.0, I'm not gonna get coerced into fucking FOMO, specially considering the likely possibility of them ruining regional pricing afterwards.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Gust news coming on July 6th. Likely about Blue Reflection Second Light.

I completed Blue Reflection recently. Don't really like it so let's see how the second game will fare.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I also considered doing so but fuck that, these aren't early access games hitting 1.0, I'm not gonna get coerced into fucking FOMO, specially considering the likely possibility of them ruining regional pricing afterwards.
While NISA is trash, I will always encourage people to buy more Falcom games. Ys VIII is a great game, also works as a good introduction into the Ys series. There is a bit of an overarching plot between Ys games, but it's not really all that important. It's mostly just 1) Adol gets to new place 2) some young girl falls in love with him, while Adol has absolutely no human reaction to her or anyone else 3) Adol kills monsters, big and small.
Plus, you get really great music and fun gameplay to keep things entertaining.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
While NISA is trash, I will always encourage people to buy more Falcom games. Ys VIII is a great game, also works as a good introduction into the Ys series. There is a bit of an overarching plot between Ys games, but it's not really all that important. It's mostly just 1) Adol gets to new place 2) some young girl falls in love with him, while Adol has absolutely no human reaction to her or anyone else 3) Adol kills monsters, big and small.
Plus, you get really great music and fun gameplay to keep things entertaining.
I'll get to Ys 8 eventually, currently trying to get through the older titles.

Reactions: Mivey

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Feels really weird seeing your posts be screencaped by people who need to gloat and mock things in a community dedicated to it. Star Citizen really has some crazy haters.

Also, I'm getting pulled into BDO more and more. It's really an interesting game and while its rendering makes me wince at times (who decided to sample exposure like this?) I really am getting its world. I never thought I'd say this but they do have pretty believable characterization going on there. I'm actually remembering MMO characters.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Gust news coming on July 6th. Likely about Blue Reflection Second Light.

I completed Blue Reflection recently. Don't really like it so let's see how the second game will fare.
Had no idea it was getting a sequel. The game was alright.

Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Had no idea it was getting a sequel. The game was alright.
Yeah they announced it in March.

I plan to watch the anime. Still one-cour left but I heard it tanked hard though as they have canceled blu-ray release.

Reactions: Dragon1893

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
There is something wrong with the game pass version of Call of the Sea, I tested the game out there a few weeks ago and got 40-70 fps during the prolologue and 55 fps a bit after ther prologue before I quit to add it to my Steam wishlist because I still liked what I played a lot.

I bought the game some days ago on Steam and I get 150 fps during the prologue.

So something fuckery is going on with the game pass version.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
There is something wrong with the game pass version of Call of the Sea, I tested the game out there a few weeks ago and got 40-70 fps during the prolologue and 55 fps a bit after ther prologue before I quit to add it to my Steam wishlist because I still liked what I played a lot.

I bought the game some days ago on Steam and I get 150 fps during the prologue.

Not as bad as The Evil Within, where playing the Microsoft Store version can also fuck up your Steam version :steam_pigblanket:

The announcement of the NISA price increase has me pondeirng if I should pick up Caligula Effect now since I don't think it will get that price again. On the other hand I don't know when I even get to play it nor do I want to reward the price increase with an panic impulse buy
Yeah that's one game I'm eyeing. But nah, don't want to reward them.
If the game reaches a good price again in the future, I'll buy it if I want to. If not, then well.
I'll live ¯\(ツ)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Personally I wouldn't pay any money to NISA now for three reasons: 1) I don't want to reward them for bad decision, 2) I will forget the FOMO pretty soon because there are so many fun games out there and 3) they may still discount the game as much as they do now.

If they really raise the price and refuse to do good discounts, well, their loss because I will probably put my money and time on another game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
A higher price to sell to a smaller fanbase that will continue being customers vs a lower price that won't result in an increase in sales volume can make sense. Every niche game out there tries to balance the same without hopes of somehow magically going mainstream. There are plenty $1 games I'll never consider buying. Whether that can be the case here or not will become evident soon enough I guess. It's not hard to change back if they see the opposite effect.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I am not surprised. I had 2 crashes on GamePass: one with Spiritfarer and one with Unruly Heroes. I don't think it would have happened on Steam.

Maybe my PC is getting old, or the Windows Store is a problem. I will be playing them on xCloud to be safe.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Tizoc I seem to remember Wayward Souls. If it is the one I am thinking off, started life as an iOS (or mobile in general) game, it was one that required you to pay rather than ad supported. It was a quite cool souls(ish) game. Normally not into them but enjoyed my time with it on mobile, although I also seem to remember the controls weren't that great.

I might have to throw it on my wishlist. See how well it plays with a controller.

Also the same devs behind Deathroad to Canada as well.

Reactions: Tizoc and lashman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
I bought a few the NISA games I have some interest it because the regional price so far is decent and I have no doubt this will be corrected when they change the US prices.

Fear of publishers "fixing" regional prices now one of the most important factors when deciding to buy a game :(

I am not surprised by self interest, even if it is for dumb reasons like console wars. What surprises me or more accurately what utterly baffles me is when some developers seemingly argue against their own interests. I see developers of small games arguing in favor of 'curation' and for some weird reason it never dawns on them that console or EGS-style 'curation' would completely obliterate the business of 99% of them.

I honestly don't know how to explain it. Is it delusion about the true status of their game? Is it the 'american dream' that yeah, I will be in the shit but if I get into the walled garden I'll be a millionaire? Are they being gaslighted by bigger publishers and developers even though their interests do not align at all? I wish I had an explanation.
I think in most cases it's definitely delusion about their game, which is actually natural when you're talking about passions projects that probably consumed a lot of hours of their life. So when you face the reality that is tough market even if your game is actually good, you search for someone to blame.

When Steam was curated, it was Valve's playing favorites and not letting your game in. Now it's them letting everyone in and your game not getting the attention it deserves. Valve usual silence also make them an easy target. Then comes someone promising you (as a group) a better/easier time, and of course your game is going to be one of the chosen ones.

So yeah, with the exception of a few assholes, the believe (and delusion and several cases) that your game is above the sea of similar games is probably what explains this behavior. So if you're game is not having success, it's of course because the current system must be wrong in someway.

Or they are just idiots.... because with just a little research you can read how a lot of developers are left out currently on consoles, EGS and so on, and the same thing happened on the "Steam Golden Days".

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I remember them making Punch Quest for mobile. That or some other punching game auto runner by another dev xp

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I came to the realization that the activity feed is one of my main ways to discover new games, seeing what others are playing (cheevos, first time playing), what others are buying, screenshots etc. Consoles doesn't have that.

Last edited:

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

As spotted by Rockstar Mag a new company started in the United Kingdom called Absurd Ventures In Games has recently been registered. According to a business listing, Dan Houser is involved with Absurd Ventures in Games as Director.
I wonder if he left because he was tired from making open world games.

Reactions: lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Reactions: LEANIJA

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
I think in most cases it's definitely delusion about their game, which is actually natural when you're talking about passions projects that probably consumed a lot of hours of their life. So when you face the reality that is tough market even if your game is actually good, you search for someone to blame.

When Steam was curated, it was Valve's playing favorites and not letting your game in. Now it's them letting everyone in and your game not getting the attention it deserves. Valve usual silence also make them an easy target. Then comes someone promising you (as a group) a better/easier time, and of course your game is going to be one of the chosen ones.

So yeah, with the exception of a few assholes, the believe (and delusion and several cases) that your game is above the sea of similar games is probably what explains this behavior. So if you're game is not having success, it's of course because the current system must be wrong in someway.
largely true, and I've seen indie devs engage in that kind of self-delusion even when they don't angrily lash out at Steam. from a few years back, I recall the developer of Treasure Adventure World dismissing the notion that oversaturation had anything to do with his well=reviewed game bombing, even though his game was a hybrid of puzzle-platformer and Metroidvania (two of the most oversaturated subgenres on Steam); TAW had an unappealing title, logo, and Flash-esque art style that made it look and sound like shovelware, no matter how well it may have played; and there were plenty of other puzzle-platformers and Metroidvanias in the same price range on Steam that are much more visually appealing on a surface level.

that said, more appealing visuals are no guarantee of success in an oversaturated indie genre, either. Planet Alpha, a cinematic platformer I played for the first time last year, is one of the most visually stunning games I've ever played, and yet it still bombed on release.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Im heavily considering picking up Powerwash Sim and Farming Sim 19, I have FarmSim19 on EGS for free, but I can't bother to open the launcher lol.

Edit: Bought FarmSim 19.
PowerWash Sim is great too

• This!
Reactions: sk2k

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
nitpicking here but 7 minutes of gameplay footage is not a "trailer"

looks good overall, but I've never cared much for the deliberately pixelated textures. they can work in a game with a more consistently stylized, retro aesthetic (Prodeus is a good example of this), but they don't quite fit with the overall art direction here imo

ironically, maybe part of the issue here is that the textures aren't low-res enough? if the pixelation was more apparent at longer distances, it'd look more like a stylistic choice and less like a graphical error

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I didn't even know it's supposed to be pixelated, lol..! I rarely fullscreen footage and it's only 1080p anyway so it was really only obvious in parts like 2:30.

I was writing a post with something like wtf man, what pixelation are you even talking about, maybe you ran the video lower than its source resolution?

Agreed, it doesn't really fit at all with those high polycounts and fancy lighting everywhere and everything, it's neither old school nor modern like this.

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Looking good.
I should add to my wishlis.... wait... I already bought it (probably because is has good regional pricing)? Guess I'm really getting old :p

Don't mind that pixelated textures (at least from the trailer), but I have been playing some old games recently so maybe I'm used to it.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Fuck, I just learnt that some achievements of Ray Gigant are glitched. And I don't want to use Steam Achievement Manager to unlock them. My will to continue playing immediately drops to zero. :rolleyes:

Edit: It seems that there is another game breaking bug that may prevent people from finishing the game. What the hell. I am dropping this.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Fuck, I just learnt that some achievements of Ray Gigant are glitched. And I don't want to use Steam Achievement Manager to unlock them. My will to continue playing immediately drops to zero. :rolleyes:

Edit: It seems that there is another game breaking bug that may prevent people from finishing the game. What the hell. I am dropping this.
That's a shame. I've always liked the way that game looked and would've liked to play it one day. Is the game breaking bug hard to avoid? Is it not possible to have multiple manual saves?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
That's a shame. I've always liked the way that game looked and would've liked to play it one day. Is the game breaking bug hard to avoid? Is it not possible to have multiple manual saves?
Someone on the steam forum said one key combat mechanics in the game may cause black screen, and they can't defeat the final boss without it... I personally could trigger it and had no problem defeating the first boss, but I did encountered serious graphics glitch after using it in a normal encounter once.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Someone on the steam forum said one key combat mechanics in the game may cause black screen, and they can't defeat the final boss without it... I personally could trigger it and had no problem defeating the first boss, but I did encountered serious graphics glitch after using it in a normal encounter once.
Yikes! Yeah can't imagine having to deal with that, especially in a game that's likely to be not so short, considering it's a JRPG. Was the port's budget a bag of chips? How can a main combat mechanic cause black screen/ big graphical glitches? 🤦‍♂️

• Sad
Reactions: Cacher
Status
Not open for further replies.