Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I'm a bit surprised that team hare is so behind, here's hoping that they manage to get ahead of those tortoise people. :steam_gp_corgi:

Managed to grab a fourth discount so ended biting up on Hitman 2. Will have to wait until next Monday to download it and all those games bought though :cry:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

MattEnth and the rest of OC peeps doing great things again! :)

(you can all reply in here ... he'll see those replies, as usual :))
This is a good idea in theory, but I don't know how you actually prevent abuse. Glassdoor, used as the example in the Tweet, is notoriously full of fake reviews, both positive and negative.

How do you actually "verify" that someone "works" at a given studio? Aside from the PR hit if it were to get out, what's to really stop a studio from creating a bunch of fake but "verifiable" reviews?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ive spent $12 so far ut i dont think my capac3iry increased.
I emailed support byt no reply yet and i cant blame them if theyrr late with all the ehavy load going on now.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
i mean ... it would be anonymous (but still verified by OC staff)
And employers would start either forcing employees to vote "NO CRUNCH, never heard of it!" or start tracking people who vote for "Hellish working conditions", either way, it would be another unnecessary feature thats only purpose is to create more conflict and drama.
Speaking up against bad crunch is fine and people should definitely do it, but there's only one way this would go and it would be the people who had it hard would vote "Hell" and the people who had fun or didn't mind wouldn't vote at all.

For clarification, I do understand the intent behind the feature is not bad.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think the 100 boost thing is a bug, I think it's supposed to be 100 on top of what your boost was the day before. If you look at tokens, it says that you can earn such and such token by taking part of the race, and that amount is the correct one.

Speaking of cards and crafting cards, I crafted tons of them as I do during sales, but it was useless, the coupons doent even work during the sale and expire during the sale. So using token to level up is the way smarter thing to do.

So prices for cards, why would they go up? There isn't really a need for them like before?

Edit:
Just made a test and claimed some points and it just gave the low amount, but it still let me boost in the race as if I had 9x boost ability, it did once and the second time I got an error. Yeah I think shits completely broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tizoc

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I think the 100 boost thing is a bug, I think it's supposed to be 100 on top of what your boost was the day before. If you look at tokens, it says that you can earn such and such token by taking part of the race, and that amount is the correct one.

Speaking of cards and crafting cards, I crafted tons of them as I do during sales, but it was useless, the coupons doent even work during the sale and expire during the sale. So using token to level up is the way smarter thing to do.

So prices for cards, why would they go up? There isn't really a need for them like before?

Edit:
Just made a test and claimed some points and it just gave the low amount, but it still let me boost in the race as if I had 9x boost ability, it did once and the second time I got an error. Yeah I think shits completely broken.
VOLVOOOOOOOOOO
One day
ONE DAY THE SERVERS WONT BE BORKED DURING THE SALES

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Hopefully Valve fixes everything and does the right thing by giving everyone on team Corgi a free complimentary preorder of Cyberpunk 2077.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Good job Steam, design a game so poorly explained everyone is bored of it after day 1 of 16. At least I'm probably going to win every day by default with just pure numbers alone and my puny 100 boost.

Reactions: Kvik and Tizoc

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
What happened here? I thought lol was getting all the gamers.
As far as I can tell TFT is great from the...literally one round I played, and people do seem to love it. It's got some interesting little aspects that DU doesn't have.

But the servers today are getting slammed, and it's so bad it's actually seeming to affect the matchmaking quality of my normal League games. This is one of the notifications that pops up if you log in right now:

Yes that's right, you will be in queue for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes. For whatever reason they launched TFT on the NA servers without any account restrictions like they had in other regions (which means any LAN/EU/TUR players could make NA accounts to play). They actually claim that has nothing to do with the problem, which I guess is probably true considering they've shown repeated incompetence with their handling of servers. It's bizarre because OCE has queue times in the seconds. Some people were speculating that it's some issue with them running their own servers after transitioning off of AWS' autoscaling stuff, but that's way over my head.

Anyways, I dunno, it's a pretty pathetic launch, and it ended up with me going back to play some rounds of DU. I'm not wasting my time with queues that long when DU is around and working flawlessly in every game I've tried.

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
loaded up on horror games and rocksmith songs; decided $4 to upgrade my Dark Souls from Prepare to Die Edition to Remastered was worth it

I'm good fam. No more games for me...

gulp A co-worker really wants to play 7 Days to Die

I see it's on sale for $8.50 but that game looks like such a commitment; does anyone have experience? Idk if I can bare to load up on materials, etc, just gimme a standard survival horror...

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Mhm, after reading some 20+ pages of complaints about the meta-game I thought it would be troublesome... but tonight I just popped it open and started doing it. My initial Capacity (Red) is 170k. So if I can remember the games I got lots of achievements in I should be able to hit that... Uh, the discount coupons are 15k each, so that's ELEVEN 5$ discounts if I can get up to 170k tokens... right?

So even when I'm dead-butt broke, looks like I'll be able to pick up a few games after all thanks to the discount coupons? Thank you Valve. 🙏

Edit: hopefully the discount coupons stack...?

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
And employers would start either forcing employees to vote "NO CRUNCH, never heard of it!" or start tracking people who vote for "Hellish working conditions", either way, it would be another unnecessary feature thats only purpose is to create more conflict and drama.
Speaking up against bad crunch is fine and people should definitely do it, but there's only one way this would go and it would be the people who had it hard would vote "Hell" and the people who had fun or didn't mind wouldn't vote at all.

For clarification, I do understand the intent behind the feature is not bad.
A version of this already exists and is relatively successful though, in Glassdoor. Technically all this should really fall under their domain already, but people seem to under utilize them and to be fair, they often have more generic ratings and Open Critic is proposing something specific to try and get pushback on game development companies, pushback which is sorely needed across a lot of industries honestly.

I work for a large software / IT company, 25K people, and not once has management or the company ever said anything about using or not using reviews on Glassdoor. I do see negative reviews on there for some companies where people were asked to leave positive ones, and I have no doubt that unless the company is tiny there is no realistic way for employers to track those people down.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Mhm, after reading some 20+ pages of complaints about the meta-game I thought it would be troublesome... but tonight I just popped it open and started doing it. My initial Capacity (Red) is 170k. So if I can remember the games I got lots of achievements in I should be able to hit that... Uh, the discount coupons are 15k each, so that's ELEVEN 5$ discounts if I can get up to 170k tokens... right?

So even when I'm dead-butt broke, looks like I'll be able to pick up a few games after all thanks to the discount coupons? Thank you Valve. 🙏

Edit: hopefully the discount coupons stack...?
They stack
Some can stack up to 6 others up to 12 but is sern as a bug.
Just get as many as you can and try to buy and test your luck.

Reactions: 「Echo」

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I think thats the thing, valve realises some were getting alot of discount coupons(probably Russians) and thus in a hurry goes and changes things and that's why things are so broken.

Funnily, all this makes me want to spend less money on the sale haha! Was going to get 50€ but with the 5€ no longer within reach I just lost all eagerness.

Not that I don't have games to play as it is :D

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Well if it's true "Capacity" (the red number, and your initial point cap) is based on spending between the end of Lunar Sale and now, that was about $1300ish for me. Lots of full-price preorders in there, like Octopath, Caligula, etc... But also we had the Golden Week sale, which of course was a big spending oppurtunity for someone like me.

I'm not sure what made mine start at 170k, but I'm not gonna complain! :whistle:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Crafting a normal badge should cost 2000 gems on average due to booster pack creation.
We did not get summer sale cards, which was the best way to get gems. So the price of a sack of 1000 gems increases.
This means that the cost of a badge should increase.

However, as you wrote, it is only true if there is still demand for badges.
Otherwise, the cheapest way to craft a badge would be to buy under-valued cards from the market, instead of buying gems, crafting and opening packs.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Since it's a good time to trawl through my queue, what the hell is this game and has anyone played it?

Looks like a port of a mobile game possibly?
It's a mobile rhythm game inspired by endless runners.
You can think of it as two-button Guitar Hero, with high and low notes. There are single notes, double notes, held notes, and mashing, in various combinations.
The base game comes with 40 tracks that you unlock by playing the game and there's a 78 track "seasons-pass" DLC that comes with all current and future DLC tracks (6 new per month), for a total of 118 tracks.

The endless runner inspiration comes in several forms:
Firstly, you actually have an avatar in the game, that you use to hit (literally attack) notes and to collect health and score pickups. Moving your avatar is done simply by hitting the high or low note buttons (the only two buttons you use outside of menus). The game also features obstacles that have to be avoided by moving to the opposite row (i.e. by jumping to the top row and later by returning to the bottom row during a jump) and pickups that are collected in the same fashion. Colliding with a note (enemy) or obstacle causes you to lose HP.

You level up by beating levels and completing various global and per-level achievements, which unlock songs and loading-screen art, as well as skins and pets that give various bonuses. The skins and pets either make the game easier in some form (more health, less damage taken, "upgrade" some small number of misses to hits, etc.) or give you ways to increase your score. You can entirely ignore these if you want and just use the starting skin (it simply gives more HP).

Settings are pretty basic, but it does feature a fullscreen, borderless and windows mode, along with optional FPS limits (60, 120, 240, no limit). Controller mapping only consists of presets (I got around that by using Steam controller mapping), but you can re-map keyboard keys.

The base game is very cheap for what you get and I've personally been enjoying the hell out of it, so I'd gladly recommend getting it if this sounds at all appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.