Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Hmm I've got the worst luck with strange issues. I more or less changed my PC recently and got some rarely used HD out of it, what's the matter, I've got an external HD dock, anyway... the matter is that the dock isn't recognized by win10 anymore and I'm not sure where the issue is.
At first glance I would say faulty USB but what do I know. The dock power on, the disks make some noise, the leds are on too, the usb is plugged at the back like advised by the manufacturer... and yet win10 doesn't give a fuck.
The strangest thing is, I'm pretty certain (didn't try today) that if I leave the dock on and restart the PC, the screen turn black but it doesn't restart.

Any input ? It's an old dock with a funky USB.

"
Did the drive have a bad windows install on it?

Reactions: Li Kao

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

In March at GDC we announced that the Steam Library is getting an overhaul. The new Library brings together a player’s experience with a game and new content/communications from the developer and community in a richer, more visual layout.

You can start uploading and previewing the new assets today
We are weeks away from the public beta of this new feature set; now is the time to start uploading new assets for your updated library presence.

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Hmm I've got the worst luck with strange issues. I more or less changed my PC recently and got some rarely used HD out of it, what's the matter, I've got an external HD dock, anyway... the matter is that the dock isn't recognized by win10 anymore and I'm not sure where the issue is.
At first glance I would say faulty USB but what do I know. The dock power on, the disks make some noise, the leds are on too, the usb is plugged at the back like advised by the manufacturer... and yet win10 doesn't give a fuck.
The strangest thing is, I'm pretty certain (didn't try today) that if I leave the dock on and restart the PC, the screen turn black but it doesn't restart.

Any input ? It's an old dock with a funky USB.

"
I've got a couple of those docks (different brand, but same everything else) floating around, but I eventually gave-up on them and got single cases for my external drives. You could go into Windows Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management and see if it's just something as simple as there being no drive letters or conflicting drive letters. But near as I can tell the connectors and the cables start to have issues after awhile, which is why I tossed them out. If it's not related to drive letters, I would guess it's the USB cable. But that's only a guess. :/

We are weeks away from the public beta of this new feature set; now is the time to start uploading new assets for your updated library presence.
W00t!

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Thanks for all your input ! So there has been some development.
  • I don't remember installing any driver for the new mobo (b450 tomahawk) for starter, so maybe I'm super dumb. Building PC is new to me.
  • Some real time help on discord asked if I had another PC to test it on and I (quasi-litteraly) unearthed an old laptop with win xp. And lo and behold, it detects the disk and I can enter it.

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks for all your input ! So there has been some development.
  • I don't remember installing any driver for the new mobo (b450 tomahawk) for starter, so maybe I'm super dumb. Building PC is new to me.
  • Some real time help on discord asked if I had another PC to test it on and I (quasi-litteraly) unearthed an old laptop with win xp. And lo and behold, it detects the disk and I can enter it.
Hmmm, maybe MS's own USB driver sucks? Unlikely, but possible. Worth downloading and installing the mobo driver package on the off-chance.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmmm, maybe MS's own USB driver sucks? Unlikely, but possible. Worth downloading and installing the mobo driver package on the off-chance.
I've got...
On-Board PIDE/SATA Drivers
System & Chipset Drivers
LAN Drivers

We are talking about the chipset driver right ?

Edit - Yo the chipset driver is scanning for hardware but doesn't seem to find anything. Endless search. A reboot seems to be needed o_O

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
I've got...
On-Board PIDE/SATA Drivers
System & Chipset Drivers
LAN Drivers

We are talking about the chipset driver right ?

Edit - Yo the chipset driver is scanning for hardware but doesn't seem to find anything. Endless search. A reboot seems to be needed o_O
Yeah, chipset is what would cover USB. Hmmm... Reboot and see what it does. :D

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Eh, like clockwork. Each time I try to plug this dock, not matter if I power it down beforehand, the PC won't completely shut off. The led keeps being alight, the flicker, but the main power button is still on.
Ok, time to try this chipset driver install.

Edit - No dice :loudly-crying-face:
Edit 2 - If I boot while the dock is on it is detected.
Fake Edit - I don't understand.

Last edited:

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Eh, like clockwork. Each time I try to plug this dock, not matter if I power it down beforehand, the PC won't completely shut off. The led keeps being alight, the flicker, but the main power button is still on.
Ok, time to try this chipset driver install.

Edit - No dice :loudly-crying-face:
Edit 2 - If I boot while the dock is on it is detected.
Fake Edit - I don't understand.
That's... really weird. Could maybe be something in BIOS options, but I doubt it. The shut-off issue could perhaps be Windows doing something which prevents a clean shut-down, but not sure what. If you boot with the dock on do the drives show in This PC?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yep the drive shows when the dock is turned on before the PC. Now I'm way outta my league but wouldn't the issue be that I haven't activated windows whql support in bios ? Buuut if that's the case it seems I didn't format my ssd right and have to convert it to UEFI. There is apparently a way to do it without data loss, but still, any input ?

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Yep the drive shows when the dock is turned on before the PC. Now I'm way outta my league but wouldn't the issue be that I haven't activated windows whql support in bios ? Buuut if that's the case it seems I didn't format my ssd right and have to convert it to UEFI. There is apparently a way to do it without data loss, but still, any input ?
Ooof. I'm out of my depth now, I'm afraid. :( I honestly couldn't say what's going on, or what would be needed to fix it. Not a hardware fault, though, at least.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Ooof. I'm out of my depth now, I'm afraid. :( I honestly couldn't say what's going on, or what would be needed to fix it. Not a hardware fault, though, at least.
Yeah thanks for your help. At this point asked for help here, on discord, on MSI Messageboard and on Reddit. If I don't get help then it's a lost cause.
At least there is a way to access the disk, not ideal though.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

In March at GDC we announced that the Steam Library is getting an overhaul. The new Library brings together a player’s experience with a game and new content/communications from the developer and community in a richer, more visual layout.

I'm excited.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
This E3 has to be the one with some of the highest number of quality games shown with the least amount of gameplay shown ever. Doom, FF7 and Watch Dogs all looked really impressive and it helps that they actually showed something.

The MS show had a lot of great stuff but it was all CG trailers. They didn't even show Gears' campaign which was completely baffling.
Before I got pissed off about their Shenmue commentary, the EZA stream had a pretty decent hypothesis:

After the (deserved) backlash to Anthem and a few other games for showing (now) obviously completely fabricated gameplay sections...maybe all the devs just figured they might as well not show gameplay anymore.

If they just give us shitty CGI trailers, we'll have no frame of reference to claim something was a lie, and we'll have consumers fed completely on the hype of those CGI trailers, and the secondhand account of the games media that get the private demos at the show. No actual gameplay? Less informed consumers.

The more serious hypothesis would probably be that nothing is really ready because of the next-gen console and streaming change.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Nice, hopefully devs will change most of the things before the beta starts, tho I wonder what will happen with those games that can't be edited aka the original Prey, there won't be any way to customize that by ourselves? because I haven't seen any way to modify or place custom pictures.

Reactions: lashman

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
This E3 sucks, instead of MGS3 Remaster Konami announced some stupid mini-console with couple of games. Yes really, i only added one new game in my Steam wishlist - Trials of Mana (which could be pretty bad, judging by Secret of Mana remake).

Reactions: MJunioR

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have to say that as someone who feels too old for this shit (i.e. watching press conferences), this page has really been rather useful.

Also, this E3 had an announcement of Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian, a first gameplay video of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 2, and a release date for Cyberpunk 2077.
Clearly it wins everything..

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Funny to see how I'm not the only one who wants the CP2077 t-shirt Keanu was wearing, thing is selling like crazy, goes literally out of stock in few minutes.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
So there isn't going to be a top-to-bottom overhaul of the client, right? Only the Library page? Anyway, I don't have any major issues with the desktop client so I am way more interested in a Big Picture mode update. Where's my news on that, Valve? Huh?

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
They're using that awful filter from emulator for Grandia HD.
Also 30 (or even lower?) fps lock with stuttering and wobbly polygons/sprites.
They fucked up Grandia 2 HD on pc pretty badly, what do you expect lol.

Last edited:

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Woof, that Grandia video looks bad. The screens I've seen from the original Saturn version is one of my favourite aesthetic with colourful sprites on 3D backgrounds, but that looks rough. And the options menu is only camera, vibration and language?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Speaking of Jrpg, I tried to make sense of the Saga and Mana series from Square. Big mistake.
Each really piqued my interest but knowing what is what and on which platform to play it, then if there is a fantrad, is awfully labyrinthine.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Maybe it will release after the sale

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
My E3 highlights (mostly RPGs):
  • Cyberpunk 2077 info
  • Baldur's Gate III reveal
  • Elden Ring reveal
  • FFVII Remake info
  • Outer Worlds trailer/Game Pass info
  • Star Wars Jedi gameplay
  • Pokemon gameplay
  • Bloodlines 2 gameplay
  • Gods & Monsters reveal
  • Tales of Arise reveal
  • Trials of Mana reveal
  • BOTW2 reveal
  • XBox Game Pass
  • XBox games to Steam

Additionally, the smaller games:
  • Ni No Kuni Remastered reveal
  • Dragon Ball Z Kakarot reveal
  • SaGa Scarlet Graces info
  • Greedfall trailer
  • Code Vein info
  • Oninaki info
  • PSO2 reveal
  • Cris Tales reveal
  • Wasteland 3 trailer
  • Paranoia gameplay
  • Genshin Impact reveal

It was an amazing E3, probably the best in years for RPG fans. :so-good-blob:

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
I agree, it wasn't a bad E3 at all. Vampire Bloodlines 2 alone would have elevated any show to "great" status, and we got more!

Games I look forward to the most:
  • Vampire Bloodlines 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Planet Zoo
  • GreedFall
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood
  • Spiritfarer

And I've added a lot more to my wishlist :cat-heart-blob:

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
Speaking of Jrpg, I tried to make sense of the Saga and Mana series from Square. Big mistake.
Each really piqued my interest but knowing what is what and on which platform to play it, then if there is a fantrad, is awfully labyrinthine.
Collection of Mana is Seiken Densetsu 1, 2, and 3. English titles Final Fantasy Adventure, Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana (original SNES version, never localised until now).
Trials of Mana is a 3D remake of Seiken Densetsu 3.

The remake is coming to Steam. The collection is only announced for Switch (I think).

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
What's the latest update on Shenmue 3 refund requests again? I think I read that Deep Silver opened up refund requests?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Never played the first Grandia. I still remember how disappointed I was when they announced that the Saturn version wasn't coming to the West, By the time I got a PSone I had so much catching up to do that I never got around to it.
This doesn't appear to be a very good port though.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Is anyone else having problems downloading games through the new xbox app and gamepass? Everything gets stuck on "queued"

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
It's crazy that Terraria is still getting updates, but also exciting.
I'm looking forward to spending some more time just goofing around, exploring, and building stuff.
I still remember the time where the devs dropped the game after a year or so, there were a large pitchfork mob complaining that the game died.
A few years later it then suddenly got it's first major content update

This was also the time where Starbound was being planned

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
I still remember the time where the devs dropped the game after a year or so, there were a large pitchfork mob complaining that the game died.
A few years later it then suddenly got it's first major content update

People forget that they bought a $10 game, not a life-time subscription.
What made it even worse was that the developer was saying that he wanted to spend more time with his wife and newborn child, but some fans weren't having it.

This was also the time where Starbound was being planned
Did that ever turn into something worthwhile?
I lost track after a couple of years of it languishing in development.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I got that email twice for some reason. I do hope most people upload new assets, the fallback looks a bit shit :p

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
People forget that they bought a $10 game, not a life-time subscription.
What made it even worse was that the developer was saying that he wanted to spend more time with his wife and newborn child, but some fans weren't having it.

Did that ever turn into something worthwhile?
I lost track after a couple of years of it languishing in development.
The game is released and they have released tons of content, I think.
Even if it didn't became the "next" Terrarria, a new publisher was created: Chucklefish. They published many great games

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
So, Watch Dogs Legion isn't coming to Steam? They already have EGS page, but nothing on Steam. Honestly, I seriously consider not buying anything from Ubi unless they stop forcing people to use uPlay in a most sadistic way.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I think Ubi is done with Steam. EGS-exclusivity made them a lot of new Uplay customers.

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.