Community MetaSteam | June 2020 - Month Of The Seal, With Many A Deal, Throw Money With Zeal, The Wallet Will Kneel

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Doom 64 has 5 or 6 unskippable boot up video/screens. And when you finally make it to the title screen there is some failed bethesda.net log in pop up.

That is like 30-40 second waste of time before you are finally in game that was made 25 years ago. I am pretty sure I can get into the RDR2 singleplayer faster upon clicking the play button lol. Don't even know what is the point of having SSDs if developers do this shit in the future. Especially with consoles.

Gonna have to look up ways to mod this mess out.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
That is like 30-40 second waste of time before you are finally in game that was made 25 years ago. I am pretty sure I can get into the RDR2 singleplayer faster upon clicking the play button lol. Don't even know what is the point of having SSDs if developers do this shit in the future. Especially with consoles.
Sleep mode, my man.
Xbox will even support that for multiple titles, apparently.

Reactions: yuraya

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Doom 64 has 5 or 6 unskippable boot up video/screens. And when you finally make it to the title screen there is some failed bethesda.net log in pop up.

Gonna have to look up ways to mod this mess out.
Doom 64 - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game - Basically add -skipmovies to the commandline in Steam or wherever.
You could also try renaming some of the movies in the movies folder. I usually put an _ at the start of the name and if the game crashes rename a blank text file to the original movie filename.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
God the Dwemer ruins were fucking awful, dreaded quests that took place there
I don't recall the Dwemer ruins apart from 'at least it's not fucking Draugrs' and maybe 'I'm bored, please help'.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The problem with Dwemers was the lack of satisfying feedback to hitting them in the noggin'. The "clang" was really lacking compared to most other sound effects in the game. There was also the fact that these ruins hinted at mystery and never delivered on it. It became environment dressing, and that's kind of fatal to a game that lives through its atmosphere.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Eh, have I lost gamer cred today ? In Morrowind, I got desperately lost in a pyramidal city with waterways. Stopped playing :drinking-blob:
Yeah I know, that's harsh. But I was REALLY lost.
The city was Vivec and getting lost in Morrowind is something I'm sure everyone has experienced. The designers deliberately made exploration and traversal an actual challenge. Exploring the wilderness required planning.

Getting lost was one of the good things about Morrowind! Fast travel and compass thingie were things that kind of destroyed the series. Sure I still love the games but it isn't what it used to be.
Yeah, it's just not the same. Sure an objective marker is more convenient but you get way more immersed when your directions towards an objective are "walk north until you see a tall rock formation, then turn east towards the sea and look for an old tower to your right". It makes you actually pay attention to and take in your surroundings instead of making a beeline towards a bright marker.

I started Morrowind like 5 different times before it finally clicked with me. I was just so totally lost in the beginnig and it was the first Bethesda game I've ever played. It was really overwhelming.
My experience exactly. I started and dropped Morrowind several times until it clicked.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
From a few threads i've read on other forums recently I honestly don't think many gamers these days are capable of being patient enough to deal with working things out.
Ten minutes in and they'd be on a forum twitter complaining about not having any idea where to go because the game "doesn't respect their time" or something.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
sure :) here you go:

Thank you! Also got a book on Zbrush from the public library today. Time to study (after playing some games😆).

From a few threads i've read on other forums recently I honestly don't think many gamers these days are capable of being patient enough to deal with working things out.
Ten minutes in and they'd be on a forum twitter complaining about not having any idea where to go because the game "doesn't respect their time" or something.
Social media, Internet and smartphones kill people patience and concentration. I haven't been a reader for a long time, and when I open a book yesterday, I got really sleepy and wanted to pick up the phone after reading a few pages. Probably need to rebuild a reading habit asap.

Last edited:

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Instant gratification is a thing that's becoming more ingrained on out society and way of life. It's not only a gaming thing, although it's especially vile when used as a mean to Dell mitrotransactions like boosters.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Thank you! Also got a book on Zbrush from the public library today. Time to study (after playing some games😆).

Social media, Internet and smartphones kill people patience and concentration. I haven't been a reader for a long time, and when I open a book yesterday, I got really sleepy and wanted to pick up the phone after reading a few pages. Probably need to rebuild a reading habit asap.
Solution: read on your phone :D

I've read 800-something chapters of a webnovel in the last... 2 or 3 weeks :grimacing-face:
(It's called Lord of the Mysteries and it's god damn amazing)

Reactions: Pommes and Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

I've read 800-something chapters of a webnovel in the last... 2 or 3 weeks :grimacing-face:
Thanks for the recommendation! Chinese web novel are super long and addictive. Personally I have read The King's Avatar before but don't remember much of it lol.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I wouldn't confuse instant gratification with anxiety from which a fair few people suffer, in which case saying this might be inducing guilt for things people have no control over :p.

Reactions: Li Kao

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Instant gratification is a thing that's becoming more ingrained on out society and way of life. It's not only a gaming thing, although it's especially vile when used as a mean to Dell mitrotransactions like boosters.
Thats not quite true for everything.

Want a simple solution to performing a task in a program you are unfamiliar with?
Google it, fail to find it in writing, have to watch a video and listen to pointless drivel for 2 minutes, watch on in depair as they fail to perform the task properly or explain it when they do clumsily manage it. Skip the video back and forth in bad tempered frustration before eventually noting that the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl-ALT R and was noted in the comments shortly before the words "just Fuck OFF you tedious twat".
Even if a video was for some reason required it could have taken 4 seconds to inform you and not 4 minutes. Bring back the text based information please.

Want a recipe for something in particular?
Search for it and find the top link is the recipe on a blog. Start to wade through the text looking in vain for the recipe, while wondering why you should be giving any fucks at all about the person writing the blog, their friends, their pet dog of the most unusual breed, or any other aspect of a life more perfect that your own will ever be. You eventually discover the ingredients and method, which of course are split up between other tidbits from the writers life making it impossible to just print the fucking recipe. Please put the recipes at the top!

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Lord of Mysteries is in my backlog, currently reading through Cultivation Chat Room,

Reactions: Ascheroth

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Gris has made me swear more than any other game in the last few weeks and also liken the dev team to all kinds of genitalia.
I'm sure they are lovely people but... i have also questioned their parentage at some points.

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Can annoying catching music be weaponized? If this post gets reported, than I guess so.

Bought three games in the steam sale

-Deep Rock Galatic
-Dirt 4
-Bayonetta

Haven't spent nearly enough time to give my thoughts on any of these games. Decent prices when I bought them last Friday.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The city was Vivec and getting lost in Morrowind is something I'm sure everyone has experienced. The designers deliberately made exploration and traversal an actual challenge. Exploring the wilderness required planning.
They fucking hid a very good ring in a little lake and you had to move the camera JUST right to get the graphical glitch where you could look underwater without the water effects, so that you could see the tiny ring, eventually.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

More info on HL X DS

No official Mod support and PC will have its own online servers so no PC X PS4 stuff it seems

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Well, i imagine PC save hackers will have the whole map covered in tarmac within 3 days so i wonder if that's why they have seperate servers?

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Gris has made me swear more than any other game in the last few weeks and also liken the dev team to all kinds of genitalia.
I'm sure they are lovely people but... i have also questioned their parentage at some points.
hm, why Gris of all games? a few mildly tricky puzzles but it's not particularly hard

Reactions: LEANIJA

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Finished Beyond Blue in 107 min. Not 100%, missing one species and whatever details for others but yeah. One story play through is enough to see everything and it's supa short. The graphics are mostly beautiful, almost all of the creatures animate wonderfully but there's just no real game to it, you simply move from waypoint to waypoint and advance a naff story that has no real pay off and conclusion. The Endless Ocean games felt like they had much more game to them (though some elements were silly, like the healing gun). Hopefully they make a better sequel with more to do and see. Or Arika gives us Endless Ocean 3.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
hm, why Gris of all games? a few mildly tricky puzzles but it's not particularly hard
Mainly my fat fingers mucking up a jump and having to go back a few screens to try again and me going off to explore and finding myself actually on the critical path past a point of no return so i can't go looking for mementos or whatever they're called. Nothing serious it just amuses me that a game that's so pretty and serene has made me swear lots. :D

It's a beautiful game and very easy to get into the flow of a level and find myself in the next area when i really wanted to go back and have a look at an alternate path. I'll definitely start a new game when i finish so i can poke about a bit more. It's a lovely game to look at, listen to and play and i'm really enjoying it so far.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I’ll personally send you a copy when/if it releases.
Reminds me of the first time I got drunk. All of my friends wanted to drink and bought alcohol but I didn't want to, so at the party I was the only one without any and I said I didn't want to. First everyone was like "don't give him any" then after a few moments of silence everyone was like "everyone, lets make him drink from all of us!"XD

BoosterDuck

Goon Squad
Sep 20, 2018
My Steam Store purchase is telling me 'Your Steam Wallet balance is too low to cover this transaction!' and won't let me use it conjunction with another payment method.

• Eyes
Reactions: ISee

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Mainly my fat fingers mucking up a jump and having to go back a few screens to try again and me going off to explore and finding myself actually on the critical path past a point of no return so i can't go looking for mementos or whatever they're called. Nothing serious it just amuses me that a game that's so pretty and serene has made me swear lots. :D

It's a beautiful game and very easy to get into the flow of a level and find myself in the next area when i really wanted to go back and have a look at an alternate path. I'll definitely start a new game when i finish so i can poke about a bit more. It's a lovely game to look at, listen to and play and i'm really enjoying it so far.
ah fair, I do remember a few issues like that. loved the game, though, possibly the best hand-drawn and hand-animated 2D art I've ever seen in a game

• Love
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I had a quick look and it's £2.19 in the sale so i reckon a lot of people are buying it at that price to see what the fuss was about.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Interesting, haven't thought about it that way in regards to the difference between a top selling chart being based on revenue or amount of copies.

Click on Tweet for more context.

Also:

Might explain the lack of success stories for indie games the last 6months to a year. Feels I read success stories every week before that regarding indies on Switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.