Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Isn't a majority of the lore in FFXIII stuff written in text logs and stuff like that?
Yup, and outside sources as well. Manga, Guides, Interviews, Ultimania, etc...
But this isn't any different from say NieR, or even FF7 itself these days what with all the alt materials which have come forth over the years.

This isn't considered a negative when other games do it, and it doesn't make the lore any less interesting just because you have to do some extra digging.

what

XIII doesn't even have a properly coherent storyline spanning the three games.
And half the cast is annoying as shit.
I found it perfectly coherent myself.
And I don't disagree about the some of the cast being annoying, but the difference between 13 to LR, and 7 is that at least 13's characters grow and develop lol.

7's characters exist, but they don't grow, and they're hardly developed. Except maybe Cloud, though it's kinda just a flip-flop style arc complete with PTSD Soldier tropes.

I don't have anything against 7 mind you, but i also don't seem to have the same rose glasses as everyone else among us 90's kids.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Looks like Final Fantasy hit todays peak,

I assume tomorrow it goes a bit higher still, maybe another few thousands, but regardless these are terrible numbers.
They only have themselves to blame.

I hope that EGS and SIE money was worth it.

Meanwhile Elden Ring is swimming in money.

At this point in time Spiderman will be selling more copies than FFVIIR as will P5R.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

Probably the same is true for many countries and governments. For how long will they continue with IE even after its death... and than act surprised when hacks and data breaches happen?

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
So, either the counter is just nonsense, if it allows negative numbers, or perhaps at some point it does actually remove the status.
I guess I will see in a year plus change, unless I buy anything else on GMG.
Mine was Silver yesterday, with ~220-ish days on it. The last game I had bought from them was Elden Ring. When I bought FFVII Remake, it bumped me up to Gold and now it says I have 364 days of gold left... So it seems like it reset the date when I bought something new? Who knows though.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

Probably the same is true for many countries and governments. For how long will they continue with IE even after its death... and than act surprised when hacks and data breaches happen?
So many of my work’s internal systems use IE. It’s a joke.

Many of us have been warning of this for months. But the systems teams just couldn’t get everything done in time for its death.

We’re keeping IE until November now.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Man, I'm really happy with how Capcom turned things around with RE.
The disappointment I felt with RE6 seems like a lifetime ago. They've been so consistently great and as a huge fan of the series this makes me really happy.
Not even just RE, either. There's DMC5 and Monster Hunter World and Street Fighter 6 is looking like they're doing everything right. I was telling my friend the other day how they've been on a truly insane streak the past few years. It's like they're a completely different company from the Capcom of the PS360 gen. Although that weird-ass dinosaur rain game is kinda looking like it'll be the combo breaker lol.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Man, I'm really happy with how Capcom turned things around with RE.
The disappointment I felt with RE6 seems like a lifetime ago. They've been so consistently great and as a huge fan of the series this makes me really happy.
Not even just RE, either. There's DMC5 and Monster Hunter World and Street Fighter 6 is looking like they're doing everything right. I was telling my friend the other day how they've been on a truly insane streak the past few years. It's like they're a completely different company from the Capcom of the PS360 gen. Although that weird-ass dinosaur rain game is kinda looking like it'll be the combo breaker lol.
The REengine tech is also very impressive. They used it to make 3rd and 1st person horror action games. They used it for what I believe is a semi open world actionrpg game in MHRise. And now they using it for open world Dragons Dogma sequel. Its all over the place and really paying off for them.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
The REengine tech is also very impressive. They used it to make 3rd and 1st person horror action games. They used it for what I believe is a semi open world actionrpg game in MHRise. And now they using it for open world Dragons Dogma sequel. Its all over the place and really paying off for them.
It can also do 2D. Ghost N Goblins Resurrection runs on the RE Engine, too.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I'm a bit late to the storage thing but I haven't turned my TV gaming PC on for a few days...

Still got one NVMe slot free which I'll use if I need it, or if I sell my PS5 that currently has a 2tb Gen4 NVMe in it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey and Tomasety

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Even if I don't like all recent Capcom releases, I am so glad that RE Engine exists. So few third party engines left...

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
So I've played about 4.5 hours of FFVII Remake. So far, it's very pretty, and fairly entertaining. I've had no issues with performance, though I did preemptively force DX11 mode via the launch properties and Vsync through the Nvidia control panel.

It's weirdly nostalgic, which surprises me. I played the original back when it first launched on PC a very long time ago, but I never finished it... I quit shortly after Aeris' death.

I think my biggest issue with it is that it's VERY linear, and there is no meaningful player agency. I think the only dialogue choices I've had were what style of dress Tifa should wear, and whether I wanted to drink a cocktail. I just prefer having more of a say in how my character acts.

I also think the side quests are extremely basic(at least so far), with no interesting/meaningful story attached to them. Just kill rats for a guy, kill drakes for a guy... Then go back to the same areas and kill a stronger rat, and a stronger drake.

I don't play a lot of JRPGs though, so this could be just my bias towards Western RPGs showing through. Despite my complaints, I am enjoying it as a more passive experience where I control the fights.

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
So I've played about 4.5 hours of FFVII Remake. So far, it's very pretty, and fairly entertaining. I've had no issues with performance, though I did preemptively force DX11 mode via the launch properties and Vsync through the Nvidia control panel.

It's weirdly nostalgic, which surprises me. I played the original back when it first launched on PC a very long time ago, but I never finished it... I quit shortly after Aeris' death.

I think my biggest issue with it is that it's VERY linear, and there is no meaningful player agency. I think the only dialogue choices I've had were what style of dress Tifa should wear, and whether I wanted to drink a cocktail. I just prefer having a say in how my character acts.

I also think the side quests are extremely basic(at least so far), with no interesting/meaningful story attached to them. Just kill rats for a guy, kill drakes for a guy... Then go back to the same areas and kill a stronger rat, and a stronger drake.

I don't play a lot of JRPGs though, so this could be just my bias towards Western RPGs showing through. Despite my complaints, I am enjoying it as a more passive experience where I control the fights.
I think that's a fair assessment. The side-quests in FF7R are there to make grinding levels more interesting or busywork to give you money or otherwise unobtainable items.

Persona 4 Golden & 5 Royal are two of my favourite RPGs, and to me they feel like they're complete and I wouldn't add any more content to them. However, even they don't come close to WRPGs in terms of the quality of the side-quests in terms of writing and relevance, and I quite enjoyed some of the side-quests in those games. I'm sure there are JRPGs that do it well, but I don't really have an expectation of it compared to in WRPGs where in my mind the side-quests feel like an intrinsic part of the plot insofar as they facilitate the rich worldbuilding those games are known for.

I think the same principle applies for dialogue choices and linearity or lack thereof.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
ohhh, and here i was wondering why Redout II freezes before it loads into the main menu (which takes over 10 minutes)

you'll never guess why ...

[Hidden content]
Ironic really.
You used to occasionally block things into your host file to prevent something phoning home and discovering you were a naughty, disgusting, horrible, reprehensible pirate.
These days it goes horribly wrong if you buy a game and decide that spying on you by a company you didn't actually give any money to is bad.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Yup, and outside sources as well. Manga, Guides, Interviews, Ultimania, etc...
But this isn't any different from say NieR, or even FF7 itself these days what with all the alt materials which have come forth over the years.

This isn't considered a negative when other games do it, and it doesn't make the lore any less interesting just because you have to do some extra digging.
I think the difference is that Nier has a story that's mostly enjoyable on its face. You don't need the supplemental stuff to enjoy what's put in front of you. Halo and Destiny have the same problem where the lore that makes the world interesting isn't showed in gameplay, but in video collectibles and books.

I need to beat Nier, and FFXIII...

Reactions: thekeats1999

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Ironic really.
You used to occasionally block things into your host file to prevent something phoning home and discovering you were a naughty, disgusting, horrible, reprehensible pirate.
These days it goes horribly wrong if you buy a game and decide that spying on you by a company you didn't actually give any money to is bad.
yup, exactly

and it's pissing me off to no end!

:minos_angry:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Death Stranding is really trying to make me dislike it now.

I thought I was at the end of the game, everything was pointing toward it. But after sitting through some of the worst nonsense I've ever witnessed which I thought were the ending cutscenes the game is now telling me that I need to go all the way back to the beginning?! What?! and then I tried using a truck to get back but the damn thing just gained a will of its own. I know the vehicle controls are bad but now it's literally doing the opposite of what I'm doing with the controller. I actually restarted because I thought it was a glitch!
I don't think I have it in me to finish the game...

The game itself is excellent aside from the horrible vehicle controls but to see this kind of production values and star filled cast in the service of this absolute nonsense that makes you cringe at every turn really boggles the mind. So many great stories that never get the opportunity to be told with good visuals and actors and here you have the likes of Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen and Guillermo Del Toro spouting this absolutely embarrassing dialogue for hours on end. Christ...
But yeah, I don't think I have the willpower to see it through because of what I mentioned in the spoiler. I really thought I was done and was actually thinking that the lenght was pretty perfect to avoid overstaying its welcome. Well fuck that. I guess we'll see.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
This week's top ten:

Last week:
This is one of the most interesting top 10s in awhile.

FF7 Remake looks to be doing fairly well despite what appeared to be a disastrous first 24 hours. It peaked at about 13.8k CCU which isn't horrible considering its circumstances (although it could have done so much better).

Chivalry 2 is also doing really well as another former EGS exclusive, thanks in part to a very high launch discount and mostly solid regional pricing. It peaked at nearly 17k CCU which isn't too far off from Chivalry 1's all time peak of 25k. I would love to know how many units Chivalry 2 has sold on Steam so far. It has 4,100 reviews right now which I think gives a bare minimum of 80k units, however it's most likely in the 150k-200k range.

I think both FF7R and Chivalry 2 show that EGS does take a portion of Steam sales, but at the end of the day there is still a large audience that'll stick with Steam.

Monster Hunter Rise and Sunbreak making the list isn't surprising since there is a 50% discount on the base game and Sunbreak had a demo drop this week.

TMNT is doing well and I'm going to play it as soon as my friend gets back from vacation next week. Elden Ring and V Rising are sticking in there, but I could see them dropping out of the top 10 during the summer sale if neither get a discount.

The Quarry and Starship Troopers appear to be low key successes. I'm playing through The Quarry right now and it's exactly what it advertises itself as: an interactive slasher flick. The first few hours were extremely boring, but it's picked up since then.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
What makes you think that? I see nothing that shows that. Mainly because we have absolutely nothing from EGS that shows how games are doing there.
I base it on peak CCUs of both games being lower than their predecessors despite Steam being much larger compared to when those games came out. Chivalry peaked in 2017 and FFXV peaked in 2018 when Steam was only a portion of the size it is today.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I base it on peak CCUs of both games being lower than their predecessors despite Steam being much larger compared to when those games came out. Chivalry peaked in 2017 and FFXV peaked in 2018 when Steam was only a portion of the size it is today.
Or maybe people stopped caring about those games? We know games don't sell on EGS, so EGS snatching up hundreds of thousands of copies from Steam doesn't seem possible.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I think both FF7R and Chivalry 2 show that EGS does take a portion of Steam sales, but at the end of the day there is still a large audience that'll stick with Steam.
I honestly don't think that EGS has any noteworthy effect on Steam sales numbers. For me the more likely scenario is that games lose sales and mind share the further they move away from the zeitgeist and the launch marketing campaign. Simply put, gamers moved on.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
FF7R is still at the top of the global top seller, CCU might not be high but at the very least it’s selling
Would have been better with day and date + marketing push + preload, even with that pricing and a terrible port

Anyway I bought a purple dualsense for gyro, i love my xbox series controller, but no gyro

Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Wow I've playing Xenia emulator and Splatterhouse works pretty nice just some slowdowns but so much better than RPCS3.
Tried WWE All Stars (for me the best wrestlemania game and sadly is another Activision licensed game) and Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and both run perfect. Just learned how to install all DLCs.

Time to put them on Steam as a launcher ^^.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
To be fair, that has nothing to do with Squeenix, maybe Russia shouldn't have invaded an independent country and massacred civilians?
I didn't say it has something to do with Square? Russia is big with PC gaming, so the numbers would have been better if it was available in Russia.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fuck that fucking noise of fuck ! I went back to the gulag and...
239 hours, just before the last couple of fights before the last boss and the game is all LUL, here mate, take this forced sidequest. Our time together was so short, you don't want to miss another derail, don't you ?

I legit made everything to not trigger the quest, but nope, you NEEDY game.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
Fuck that fucking noise of fuck ! I went back to the gulag and...
239 hours, just before the last couple of fights before the last boss and the game is all LUL, here mate, take this forced sidequest. Our time together was so short, you don't want to miss another derail, don't you ?

I legit made everything to not trigger the quest, that's how done I am with the game. We had a pleasant time, now I'm good, you needy game.
Just in time to get this game when the summer sale starts

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I didn't say it has something to do with Square? Russia is big with PC gaming, so the numbers would have been better if it was available in Russia.
Ah, my bad.
Though compared to the other reasons I don't think releasing in Russia (if the world was in a different state) would have made that much of a difference when taking into consideration that most likely Squeenix would have had terrible regional pricing there as well.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Just in time to get this game when the summer sale starts

Yeah I'm conflicted about the series. Many mixed feelings, can't decide if it was a GOAT or a bloated POS. To the point I had removed WotR from my wishlist for some time before re-adding it. Pretty sure I will need some good months before even thinking about playing it.
And being a very bad HoMM player, I dread the battlefield conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.