Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
That's just incompetence.
Hanlon's razor working as always.
I'm going to be that guy and state the Dragon Age was never good, even Origins was mediocre at best.
But looking back at the dark days for RPGs, somewhere between 2003 and 2015-ish, even a mediocre game like that could be considered good when seen in context. Just thinking about it's contemporaries makes me shudder...
Yeah 00s are rightfully called "the dark times", though we did get gems like VtmB, Morrowind, NWN2 Mask of Betrayer, The Witcher and Gothic 1/2.
I played Dragon Age Origins in 2020 for first time (Noble Dwarf) and I was really blown away by the writing TBF. Maybe it would get worse in 2nd half (most RPGs do) but I wouldn't mind after such an excellent opening.

Reactions: QFNS

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018

Grab them now

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Ex WoW devs new game.

Trailer starts, wow, it's just what I always wanted, an action game where you play a (fake) Horde! :smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes:
Then they reveal it's early access survival PvP, with combat that looks like it got lost since the PS1, and so slow it makes Concord look like Unreal.
:unamused-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: Dandy and lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Subbed to Gamepass to play Hellblade 2....

But instead been playing Boltgun and Little Kitty, Big City.

AAA gaming really is dead. RIP.

I am part of the problem :smirking-face:

___

Also I got a bag of spicy nacho Doritos so I am ready for the pope to bless us with some good trailers today.

Tho I am more excited for the Xbox thing Sunday. Really want to see what Bethesda does with Shattered Space and see if Xbox actually teases new handheld.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm going to be that guy and state the Dragon Age was never good, even Origins was mediocre at best.
But looking back at the dark days for RPGs, somewhere between 2003 and 2015-ish, even a mediocre game like that could be considered good when seen in context. Just thinking about it's contemporaries makes me shudder...
Still DA2 and DA3 were even worse.
So DA sucking isn't exactly a surprise, it's expected.
Dragon Age: Origins was the only good one. It was a throwback to CRPGs in the style of Baldur's Gate (played on PC, the console versions were trash) had a pretty good story for one of those and was relatively standalone. All the Dragon Age's after it have been mid (DA 3) or awful (DA 2).

Reactions: thekeats1999

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Two Humble bundles in a day!

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Two Humble bundles in a day!

7 Item Bundle starting at $5.52
Graveyard Keeper
Streets of Rogue
Party Hard 2
Nitro Kid
Hello Neighbor
Kill It With Fire
and a coupon for some DLC

10 Item bundle starting at $9.21
Not For Broadcast
Tinykin
Graveyard Keeper - Stranger Sins

15 Item bundle starting at $13.82
Asterigos: Curse of the Stars
Cartel Tycoon
Hello Neighbor 2
Not For Broadcast: Bits of Your Life
Not For Broadcast: Live & Spooky

3 item bundle, starting at $9.21
Bread & Fred
Grindstone
and a coupon for some DLC

5 item bundle, starting at $13.82
Soulslinger: Envoy of Death
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries

8 item bundle, starting at $23.03
High On Life
Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration
Revival: Recolonization

----

I had wanted to also post these bundles right before Deku did but since I was already halfway done listing the games, here they are :)

---------

right, Ive acquired Doritos. Im ready for Geoff. ;P

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Played it on PC. It was a fun Ubisoft-style open world game. Repetitive gameplay with breathtaking scenery and great car combat. If you like the movies you will like the game, too. There is an unobtainable achievement because of online server closure.
Thanks. I don't care about achievements.

Reactions: Cacher

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Can someone please link that website that always lists all the trailers from all the conferences in a nice chronological way? I can't find it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Im so damn tempted to buy Diablo 4 on steam just so I can play it on Steam deck. Sure I could play it on my xbox on a huge TV or even remote play it on the deck... but steam curse it strong in me, need that +1
I bought it this week, thankfully my progress is there. Although I still created another character since I dont remember shit!
Cool game, just spared me the pain of buying through Ubi malware

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
All I'm asking from this year's SGF is at least 2 titles that get me excited man. The bar is so low that I'll be supper happy if capcom announces a RE Classics collection with all the old games from the PS1 era lol.

Only 6 months? That was fast lol
It was part of that Epic First program that has 6 month exclusivity i think.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Still DA2 and DA3 were even worse.
So DA sucking isn't exactly a surprise, it's expected.
Hanlon's razor working as always.

Yeah 00s are rightfully called "the dark times", though we did get gems like VtmB, Morrowind, NWN2 Mask of Betrayer, The Witcher and Gothic 1/2.
I played Dragon Age Origins in 2020 for first time (Noble Dwarf) and I was really blown away by the writing TBF. Maybe it would get worse in 2nd half (most RPGs do) but I wouldn't mind after such an excellent opening.
Dragon Age: Origins was the only good one. It was a throwback to CRPGs in the style of Baldur's Gate (played on PC, the console versions were trash) had a pretty good story for one of those and was relatively standalone. All the Dragon Age's after it have been mid (DA 3) or awful (DA 2).
I liked all three Dragon Age games and completed all of them. I agree that the love for DAO partially stems from the fact that there werent many other games like it at the time... but it also had a cool story, cool world, and it played well too. I liked the gameplay in DA2 and DAI better, however (and if and of you didnt, thats fine too). More fluid, action-oriented combat is always a plus for me.

but DAO definitely had areas that were a total slog (the Fade for example) and even warranted mods to skip them entirely.
Oh, and it was delightful to play that game as a total psychopath; and it was surprising just how evil it let you be.

The idea of DA2 "This takes place over 10 years" was cool, but in-game, everything stayed static, and they reused the same levels a tad too much. Im guessing here's where the "Bioware magic" first started to fail.

And DAI was serviceable. Less memorable characters and story, but still liked the world.

Anyway, I dont expect much from DA4, name change or not. The long dev time doesnt bode well.

————
Ex WoW devs new game.

Trailer starts, wow, it's just what I always wanted, an action game where you play a (fake) Horde! :smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes:
Then they reveal it's early access survival PvP, with combat that looks like it got lost since the PS1, and so slow it makes Concord look like Unreal.
:unamused-face:
oh yep, that definitely screams ex-wow devs ;)

I liked what I saw but at the same time I also had this "oh of course it has some modern gaming crap attached" reaction (its SO often nowadays: game looks great, then the reveal its either rogue-like, survivalcraft, always-online, pvp, live service or some combination of either of these complete turn-offs. IMO anyway.

————
Im so damn tempted to buy Diablo 4 on steam just so I can play it on Steam deck. Sure I could play it on my xbox on a huge TV or even remote play it on the deck... but steam curse it strong in me, need that +1
to directly contradict myself, Diablo 4 is fun to play on Deck, despite all the live service garbage.

————
I really dig the character art here :)

————

Can someone please link that website that always lists all the trailers from all the conferences in a nice chronological way? I can't find it.
did you mean this?

EDIT: Sorry I completely misread, you did not mean this, this is just the schedule.

————
catchy title ;)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I was thinking about God of War Ragnarok and its use of neural texture upsampling : GDC Vault - Machine Learning Summit: Real-Time Neural Texture Upsampling in 'God of War Ragnarok'

One line caught my eye : "The system is heavily optimized for PS5 and will likely perform poorly without adjustments on different hardware "

I wonder how they will proceed on PC. Standard unoptimized path on all GPU architectures or will they write different paths for Intel/AMD/Nvidia.

I hope Alex from Digital Foundry will touch on that if he has the chance.