Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Debating on whether I should get the DLC for Elden Ring at launch or not. Its 35 bucks here and so far its been easy to avoid any info about it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's wild seeing how people flip flop about stuff.

Some stuff that has happened. You do have that whole thing with the Dorito Pope and about how a lot of people had to "wrap stuff up". Which is dumb for a number of things but I do also find it dumb how that's what people choose to complain about. Dang how dare you not let Nintendo devs (producers) and others give a proper speech. When well that didn't really matter much seeing how they were far more focused on other stuff, they even went very quickly through a bunch of awards as of they were. Side thoughts. This has been the case for a few years now.

I wonder if the GoW speech was just that long and it caused concerns with the sponsors of the event/budget of the event) because I don't think they used to stop people but at the same time I don't think speeches even went that long.

The other thing has to do with dumb Gummy dude, company is bad because of DEI, wow look the whole the DEI thing was actually a trap a long to get rid of them. And blah blah blah. The main point is that something like this would greatly contradict stuff he was saying earlier. About how games are made, where in some cases people just don't care. Also about the whole Paper Mario Thousand Year Door.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia

Finally some new details about this game. Steam version is confirmed in addition to mobile. Also full english chinese and japanese support at launch it seems. Seems like they decided to rework the game idea to be more of an action rpg instead of the action baseball stuff from the anime though

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

Finally some new details about this game. Steam version is confirmed in addition to mobile. Also full english chinese and japanese support at launch it seems. Seems like they decided to rework the game idea to be more of an action rpg instead of the action baseball stuff from the anime though

ポータブルゲーミングPC ---> Steam Deck (ROG Ally ) these two seem to be the big main ones

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So Octopath games, does one have to play the first one to play the second? if they are essentially the same game but second one being better, I might just go for the second one directly ?

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
For some reason my Esc key just stopped working after I restarted my PC(to fix my Bluetooth lol). Restarting didn't fix it, and unplugging it and removing it from device manager didn't fix it.

I don't want to have to figure out a replacement, and Logitech doesn't make it anymore... Cause it is 7 years old. Anyone have any recommendations? It was a Logitech G710+. I actually don't need it to be as full featured. I never used the G keys on the side at all,

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
For some reason my Esc key just stopped working after I restarted my PC(to fix my Bluetooth lol). Restarting didn't fix it, and unplugging it and removing it from device manager didn't fix it.

I don't want to have to figure out a replacement, and Logitech doesn't make it anymore... Cause it is 7 years old. Anyone have any recommendations? It was a Logitech G710+. I actually don't need it to be as full featured. I never used the G keys on the side at all,
Maybe look at stuff that keychron (keychron.com) is selling. The basic K series boards are cheap, wireless and come in all sorts of form factors. If you are new to mech boards, just look for "100%" boards, those should be familiar and you can avoid looking at those scary boards that dare to not have a numpad.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
On May 9, during an earnings call, Warner Bros. revealed that it was taking a $200 million loss on Suicide Squad — making it one of the gaming world's worst blunders.
Despite the internal concerns among frontline workers, executives from Warner Bros. kept reviewing demonstrations of the game and sending laudatory feedback, praising the graphics and saying they expected Suicide Squad to become a billion-dollar franchise.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Looks like that'll be The Thing

That is crazy.

One of the great gems from the PS2 era. Not a perfect game by any means but just a good action/horror game. A good length game too it wasn't just some crappy movie thing. Had some real ambitious mechanics/AI from that era too.

Anyone who loved The Thing movie and even its prequel/remake or wtvr will love this. From what I remember this game ties in both stories or maybe it was just the prequel (before the new movie was even made lol)

____

With MGS2 releasing last year
Kingdom Hearts soon
Code Veronica rumors
The Thing

It really does start to feel like that PS2 era Nostalgia trip is in full force this gen. Its like reliving my early teen years heh.

Only a small handful of gems missing now imo. We need....

Resident Evil Outbreak
Dragon Quest VIII
Siren
Killzone

And Sony really needs to get the Ico + Sly Cooper + The Last Guardian + that Medievil remake on to PC as well. That would really be great.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Maybe look at stuff that keychron (keychron.com) is selling. The basic K series boards are cheap, wireless and come in all sorts of form factors. If you are new to mech boards, just look for "100%" boards, those should be familiar and you can avoid looking at those scary boards that dare to not have a numpad.
Why the overwhelming presence of the blue color ? Wasn't one of the good thing about those keyboards that they have like 3 million color schemes ?
Joking but asking seriously, my illuminated keyboard cable looks to be on the way to be two cables.

96% looks nice.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Why the overwhelming presence of the blue color ? Wasn't one of the good thing about those keyboards that they have like 3 million color schemes ?
Joking but asking seriously, my illuminated keyboard cable looks to be on the way to be two cables.

96% looks nice.
That's the default colour scheme, I think. A sort of blue-ish grey with black for non-alphabetic keys. They also sell keycaps in virtually all colours of the rainbow: All Keycaps
NOLF waiting room: eternity.
that aint coming. The IP rights are between WB and Fox and neither gives a fuck about the games coming out and have in essence warned Nightdive that they will sue if they go ahead with the project

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
200 million loss holy SHIT
If they cancelled the game after the first gameplay reveal that literally everyone online hated...they could have saved like 50-75 million. And used that money to start making a new game.

Instead they just kept digging and digging. They really thought a shlooter with damage #s all over the screen is what people wanted from Rocksteady :steam_pig_crylaughing:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
So that makes 2 non-GAAS simultaneous PC launches with Until Dawn Remake.
They probably aren't big enough to qualify as "tentpole" games. At this point the only Sony published games that'll be day one console exclusives are the prestige third person action games ala Marvel, God of War, The Last of Us and so on.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I don't think I've ever been less excited for June/E3 season. There's usually at least one showcase I'm really looking forward to but my expectations are abysmal this year.
My excitement for this not-E3 period has cratered for a couple of reasons;

1. There are just way too many events now. There's about 4 livestreams every day with random selections of indies and smaller publishers doing their own thing. All the information is diffused and it would be an absolute chore to keep up with all of it. And that's before we talk about how utterly bloated and eye-roll inducing so many of these presentations can be. Imagine sitting through another PC gaming show. Or does anyone remember that Realms Deep thing from last year? I do understand that indies need as much exposure as they can get and in the old days getting into a presentation from the big 3 was possibly too hard, but now there are 30 different events and I'm not inclined to watch any of them anymore.

2. Everything leaks. There are no surprises anymore. Stuff used to leak in the past as well but nowhere near on the scale that it does now. These days we have clout chasers like Jeff Grubb and Tom Henderson who will tell you everything given enough time. It's extra annoying when they're trying to be coy about it. Grubb's latest leak is that Dragon Age Dreadwolf won't be at Keighley's show but Dragon Age will be. That's him definitely not revealing a remaster/remake that's incoming. Someone on Twitter shared a clip of that time when Sony revealed the new God of War at E3 a few years ago. No one saw that coming and everyone cheered when Kratos stepped out of the shadows. You just cannot have moments like that these days.

It's a real shame... I actually preferred E3 where all the announcements were concentrated within the 3-5 major shows and you at least had some reason to look forward to what was going to be revealed.

It's wild seeing how people flip flop about stuff.

Some stuff that has happened. You do have that whole thing with the Dorito Pope and about how a lot of people had to "wrap stuff up". Which is dumb for a number of things but I do also find it dumb how that's what people choose to complain about. Dang how dare you not let Nintendo devs (producers) and others give a proper speech. When well that didn't really matter much seeing how they were far more focused on other stuff, they even went very quickly through a bunch of awards as of they were. Side thoughts. This has been the case for a few years now.
Not to defend the Dorito Pope but the guy got so much unwarranted criticism for the show last year. It was, again, from people who either do not understand reality or just refuse to accept it. So many people were upset that ads and promotions got more time than the awards but that's what pays for the whole show to begin with. I remember there was that skit with a muppet that people were unhappy with and it's like, do you think Keighley woke up one morning in July and decided he wanted a muppet at his game awards show? No, he went to someone to ask for money and their condition was that there must be a segment with the muppet. Do you think it was his life's ambition to do a promotion for a 15% Grubhub coupon? No, but that is what pays for renting out a theatre and hiring a whole production team and a whole technical team that is livestreaming the program simultaneously on 10 platforms and so on. Everything in the world got more expensive in the last couple of years. Why would you think that wouldn't apply to the TGAs?

As for prompts asking the winners to wrap up their speeches, that's fairly common in many award ceremonies. Even the Oscars have it. And that's before Chris Judge poisoned the well with his speech the previous year. Even so, Keighley admitted that he could have done it better so the vitriol he kept receiving was ridiculous. And, to be blunt, award acceptance speeches really should just be about thanking your team, your family, your partners and such. It really isn't the place for sharing anecdotes about development and pontificating about other matters. That's part of the social contract of award shows.

And since we're being blunt, nobody who is watching actually cares about the awards to begin with. Maybe the platform warriors do because "Hey my Nintendo game beat your Sony game in the GOTY category" but that's about it. The majority of people watching are watching for the new game trailers. And the proof is that if he tried to do just an awards show without the promotions the whole enterprise would collapse, and everybody knows that.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
I for one hope that every single announcement leaks and that these glorified 2 hours commercials crush beneath their own weight (and I'm not even talking about the advertisements within the advertisements).
I don't even understand why the gaming industry has this kind of secrecy and unhealthy hype around working projects. Directors and producers on the film industry will say "we're making the next Tranformers, we'll start filming in june", fucking Marvel has their theatrical release dates up to year 2077. Same goes for music and literature; I repeat I don't understand why knowing Capcom is making a DLC for their multi-million dollar broken fantasy-action-rpg and their commercial is gonna air friday or whatever is considered "spoiler".

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
After BG3....Dragon Age has such a high mountain to climb. I feel kind of bad for them. Everyone is gonna judge and compare this game like crazy. Inquisition was shat on hard when Witcher 3 came out shortly after. Now there is other games like Elden Ring and even FFRebirth.

Anthem and Andromeda pissed off a lot of people too so BioWare doesn't have a lot of room for error. Hopefully The Veilguard is good. Inquistion had a lot of fun things in it but a good chunk of that game was very forgettable.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
When you make a live service game that no one wants... you lose a lot of money. No surprise there.
You're not going to convince most people to drop Fortnite/Call of Duty/Destiny etc. Making a GAAS in this environment is extremely risky because most people who care about those have their game and are pretty much locked in. It's less risky to make a AAA single player game and hope it has good legs which is doubly ironic because Hogwarts Legacy fits that description to a T.

So, gaas?
I don't think so. I think it's just a lower budget game ala the Until Dawn remake.

Reactions: xinek

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I guess it was this ?
Yea I suppose that was it.

I don't even understand why the gaming industry has this kind of secrecy and unhealthy hype around working projects. Directors and producers on the film industry will say "we're making the next Tranformers, we'll start filming in june", fucking Marvel has their theatrical release dates up to year 2077. Same goes for music and literature; I repeat I don't understand why knowing Capcom is making a DLC for their multi-million dollar broken fantasy-action-rpg and their commercial is gonna air friday or whatever is considered "spoiler".
I actually do agree with this wholeheartedly. The secrecy surrounding the game dev industry is kind of insane and definitely driven by some belief that there's only one correct way to reveal and market a video game. It becomes comically bizarre when, for example, nobody officially knew what Rockstar North was working on between 2014 and 2023 until that trailer dropped and everyone was totally surprised by the reveal of GTA6. As of now we officially don't know what id Software or DICE are working on for. It's nuts.

I guess in a sense it does make it slightly hypocritical of me to miss those unexpected reveals like the God of War moment I mentioned. It was really something fantastic though.

Reactions: xinek

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Right on cue, here's another article shitting on Geoff Keighley right before the summer event

Again, do people realize that Geoff Keighley isn't a game journalist? He does not write reviews or anything else for any site or newspaper. He's not a Youtuber or a Twitch streamer. He's more of an event organizer who organizes three major gaming related events a year (E3, Gamescom, Game Awards). That is his job and his livelihood. Aside from securing funding for the show (including salaries for his staff), it has to pay his salary for the whole year. Who knows what kinds of compromises he has to make just to put on the shows.

What do these people expect is supposed to happen? "Hi everyone. My name is Geoff Keighley. The game industry is shit. The publishers are shit. The executives are shit. Capitalism is shit. Welcome to the ceremony celebrating the industry funded entirely by the publishers and executives who I just called shit. Incidentally, this is the last edition of the Game Awards because nobody who I just called shit will ever work with me again". But hey, at least Twitter will be happy right?

It's so easy to sit in the peanut gallery and launch missiles when you have nothing on the line. You have a problem with him not addressing the war in Gaza in a video gaming show? You should definitely just the raise the million(s) of dollars he does and make your own show and make it all about what you want to talk about. Yes, you are allowed to criticize things you can't do yourself. But if your criticism is insane then it should be disregarded immediately.

Incidentally, the article also talks about how it costs $200,000 per minute to run the show. Or at least, that's what he charges for advertising time. It seems ludicrous to me but it's all in Los Angeles and the world is super expensive these days so maybe that really is how things are.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Reads like Anthem 2.0 tbh.
Upper management deciding to make a game outside of their wheelhouse with no clear vision, not checking what the competition in the space you're trying to enter has been doing and banking on "Rocksteady magic" making it all come together at the end no matter how bad things are.
  • Anthem
  • Avengers
  • Redfall
  • Suicide Squad : KTJL
When single player studios were forced to make multiplayer games. Nearly a decade and they haven't learned.

I hope publishers learn (it'd be a miracle if they do) to let studios play by their strengths. SP studios make SP games, MP studios make MP games.

Reactions: LEANIJA
Status
Not open for further replies.