Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Outer Wilds news is a bummer, but since it's an Obsidian game, by the time it does launch on Steam a year later the bug fixes will be mostly in and the game will be as it should have been at launch!

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Ya know, that "news" about Exodus selling 2.5 times as much as Last Light is good news. That number is so vague and obfuscated that it can only mean that Exodus didn't sell enough on Epic to flaunt it.

Instead of worrying about this shitshow just make sure to not buy anything on the EGS and play some of the thousands of great games that already exist.
Like Devil May Cry 5.
Or watch some Kamen Rider.

------
Fanatical sent ma a 20% discount coupon for their sale, so I'm trying to see if there's anything I want right now.
Been thinking of Stranger of Sword City, which would come down to €6,39, but I think there's a remaster that only came to Vita and not PC, so that is discouraging.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Déjà vu.

Yet almost no discounts even two hours after update.
Wait, so do we know the winners?

Edit: Not yet.

The IGF Awards will take place March 20th, 2019 at 6.30pm PT during the Game Developers Conference 2019, and will be hosted by Meg Jayanth, the award-winning writer of 80 Days, the acclaimed globetrotting interactive storytelling game and former IGF Award winner for Excellence in Narrative.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Ya know, that "news" about Exodus selling 2.5 times as much as Last Light is good news. That number is so vague and obfuscated that it can only mean that Exodus didn't sell enough on Epic to flaunt it.
The fact that they specifically quoted Last Light's sales which has <20,000 owners instead of Redux, which has 2-5 million owners is why you can be almost certain the numbers are horseshit.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
The fact that they specifically quoted Last Light's sales which has <20,000 owners instead of Redux, which has 2-5 million owners is why you can be almost certain the numbers are horseshit.
SteamSpy numbers for Last Light are corrupted. It has been over 1m, but no longer is.
But surely they're using actual sales data than steamspy estimates.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I don't doubt the number.
Last Light's sales were 3 times more than 2033 during the opening week, so Exodus' sales could well be 2.5 times more than Last Light during its first month.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
This past year or so has given me flashbacks to the early-to-mid 2000s. Developers shutting down. Developers being acquired left and right to further consolidation in the industry. Large corporations making big moves to prepare themselves for the upcoming generation. And to top it all off we now have Epic Games trying to literally buy their way into the PC platform.

It's probably going to get a lot worse too. Once the streaming platforms get up and going you'll likely start seeing more bullshit exclusivity practices.

I'll continue refusing to support the Epic Game Store and their bullshit exclusivity practices. It doesn't matter which game they get next.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Morning y'all.

I woke up drenched in sweat, thinking I just had a nightmare and now it's over. But no. Epic still reigns and the nightmare is far from over.

:wd_shaking:

Having said that, I take comfort at the fact that there's still plenty of games to look forward to. Ace Attorney and Zanki Zero next month, I bought Super Robot Wars T yesterday as well, and then there are Pathway, World of Horror, No Truce with the Furies, N1RV Ann-A, Alliance Alive and many more.

Let's positive thinking!

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Do it anyways. They're presented as "bad" no matter what they do, they might as well stop their platform being used as free advertisement space if they're going to get vilified anyways.
eh, i'd rather they not do that ... it could only end badly for them ... if not now then one day

Assume all future games are exclusive to EGS until proven otherwise.
pretty much, yeah

---

also, you know what guys? we're all just assuming all those games will be on steam after a year, but ... hear me out ... what if they aren't?

just a thought

---

also:

(that's the entire thread - 4 tweets)

Deleted member 113

also, you know what guys? we're all just assuming all those games will be on steam after a year, but ... hear me out ... what if they aren't?

just a thought
About that:

«Yes, it is likely that one year after the release of The Sinking City on the Epic Games store, we will consider releasing the game on other platforms»

This statement is awesome! It literally says what I usually have been saying about how these developers/publishers think they are doing us a favour by allowing us to give them money one year later. Yeah, screw them. Next game. :)

Deleted member 113

Guys, lighten up. :cat-heart-blob:

Today also brought us the news that soon, we will be hearing this on Steam:

(unless Epic steps in on these compilations as well; then, I would have to listen to this on my 18 CDs + 1 DVD boxset of Castlevania Soundtracks; or, on the SNES or Wii, where I already own the game :grimacing-face: )

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
So, how does Valve respond and/or counter this? Reduce their cut to 15-20%? Not sure how they can stem the tide here - it's hard to compete against this combination of shameless unscrupulousness + endless bags of cash.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Didn't Hollow Knight sell 1m+? lol
Yes.

They announced 500,000 sold by November 10th, 8 months after release. And they said in July 2018 that they had crossed the 1 million threshold for Win/Mac/Linux the day before Switch release (in June).

But some people (who are in a bubble) genuinely think the game wasn't a hit before it hit Switch. It's bizarre.

suiko

saviour of worlds
Nov 12, 2018
I don't see what valve can do without compromising their not trying to control the PC space attitude what would hurt them.
well aside of hiring some ninjas or something

and one more fun thought: even eggs can't get Atlus to release persona on PC, talk about being consistent.

Deleted member 113

We'll see tomorrow. (nothing - probably)
Yeah, I doubt they will do anything.

Basically, Valve created a platform that allows developers to use their tools, and release their games, while taking a cut. It's design to be as automated as possible.
Their income may take a hit, but considering how they operate, they will keep profiting by doing nothing, in terms of competing for games.

The only thing Epic's shit moves will accomplish is fragment the platform once more, take some key re-sellers down, and maybe a platform or two.
I was fearing for GOG and Humble, but now that Humble is totally supporting and on board with Epic, screw Humble, but I hope GOG will be able to find its niche. Maybe going back to releasing "good old games"?

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I don't see what valve can do without compromising their not trying to control the PC space attitude what would hurt them.
I don't know how other people would feel about it, but I would be fine with them just buying some development studios like Campo Santo to expand their development side again.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Morning y'all.

I woke up drenched in sweat, thinking I just had a nightmare and now it's over. But no. Epic still reigns and the nightmare is far from over.

:wd_shaking:

Having said that, I take comfort at the fact that there's still plenty of games to look forward to. Ace Attorney and Zanki Zero next month, I bought Super Robot Wars T yesterday as well, and then there are Pathway, World of Horror, No Truce with the Furies, N1RV Ann-A, Alliance Alive and many more.

Let's positive thinking!
Clearly we need to liven up the thread by channeling our inner Ban Punchers and posting questionable anime gifs.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

just a thought
In my case, I don't plan to buy Outer Worlds even in 2020 after the exclusivity deal lapsed. I won't say that I would never buy all games which took an exclusivity deal with EGS, but in this particular case, my decision is already made. I simply won't let my $60 to be a part of the metric which could determine whether people would still buy their game even after taking a moneyhat from Epic.

Clearly we need to liven up the thread by channeling our inner Ban Punchers and posting questionable anime gifs.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The only thing Epic's shit moves will accomplish is fragment the platform once more, take some key re-sellers off, and maybe a platform or two.
Not only that. A significant part of pc gaming is now in control of a big company (two actually if you count Tencent as well). Several devs, publishers and even stores like Humble have thrown their principles and respect for us as consumers out of the window because of Epic's money. And Epic has only just begun...
I don't know how other people would feel about it, but I would be fine with them just buying some development studios like Campo Santo to expand their development side again.
True. But that's not going to solve anything that's going on right now. Epic is bribing many major players in the pc gaming industry, and it seems to work out great for all parties involved.
In my case, I don't plan to buy Outer Worlds even in 2020 after the exclusivity deal lapsed. I won't say that I would never buy all games which took an exclusivity deal with EGS, but in this particular case, my decision is already made. I simply won't let my $60 to be a part of the metric which could determine whether people would still buy their game after taking a moneyhat from Epic.
Same here. I'm not planning to spend a single cent on any game involved in a store exclusivity deal. I'll play Outer Worlds if I can borrow the ps4 version from a friend or colleague. If not, Inll be playing other games.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
True. But that's not going to solve anything that's going on right now. Epic is bribing many major players in the pc gaming industry, and it seems to work out great for all parties involved.
Besides investing in better algorithmic systems to determine user preferences, they could at least try some PR-friendly stuff.

Nintendo does their 25 minute Nindies thing like twice a year, and those videos only show less than 20 games. I have no idea what the cost would be, and maybe it's not worth it, but perhaps Valve could try that format, but one up them.

Say instead of twice a year, do it quarterly. Spend 10-15 minutes on the games from last quarter which might have flown under the radar, and spend 15 minutes on the games that are coming up in the next quarter. Congratulations, you just spent around 30 minutes talking directly to your users, informing them about cool games, all while putting some friendly and attractive faces forward to represent your brand.

You've now done more in four yearly videos than Valve's PR department has done for the past 5 years.
:wd_dealwithit:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So, how does Valve respond and/or counter this? Reduce their cut to 15-20%? Not sure how they can stem the tide here - it's hard to compete against this combination of shameless unscrupulousness + endless bags of cash.
i hope they won't do that .... i mean - on one hand it would be nice, for sure .... especially for smaller devs

but on the other - they're still the biggest store on PC and doing something like that could be considered anti-competitive

plus - it could potentially kill off TONNES of key stores (like GMG etc.)

We'll see tomorrow. (nothing - probably)
they won't announce anything tomorrow ... it's a dev talk, not a pseudo-E3 press conference like epic did today

plus it won't be streamed ... they'll probably do what they always do - talk about the importance of releasing games in all regions, show a few stats, talk about the new UI a bit, etc. etc. etc. - the usual

right now? not much really ....

one thing they COULD do, though, is to "moneyhat" console exclusives ... and release them everywhere (including epic's store)

Status
Not open for further replies.