Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Besides this any other useful tips to keep in mind far as upgrading in this gsme goes?

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I just walked outside on the streets for the fisrt time in 8 days, everything seems so surreal.

On a better note, the new event on Division 2 is pretty fun.

Reactions: Arsene and lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Looks like Outer Wilds is coming to Steam June 18 (that's just 2 weeks after the exclusivity ending), nice!!!

That's one, Control is the other one I'm waiting for. And it's going to be a long wait too. :loudly-crying-face:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Content delivery network (CDN) Akamai announced today plans to slow down video game downloads during peak hours in order to preserve bandwidth and avoid traffic congestions during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
I knew that name sounded familiar.

Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Played a bit of CS3, excellent port, love the config menu.
Turbo on L3 is weird though, I'll need to remap that. More importantly, does it have a toggle? Having to keep it pressed is a bummer.
Also, why is the music volume so low by default?

Reactions: QFNS

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Shit. Gotta download fast some stuff now.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

HA! joke's on them ... my download speeds were already beyond shit! :negative-blob:

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

Ah the upside to my 1990s style internet speed: I will not be slowed down any worse than usual. Dodged that one.

Reactions: freshVeggie

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I can't even pick them, they look so gross and seem alive even after shooting them dead. Picked the first headcrab I killed up to look at it closer, I think one of the "feets" moved a little bit and I screamed and almost threw my controller away.
And then they go ahead and introduce the even more disgusting form of headcrab in complete darkness. Three of them.

Reactions: LEANIJA

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Its soo sad how every new release at least in Chile. its soo fucking expensive... regional price my ass :(

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
And then they go ahead and introduce the even more disgusting form of headcrab in complete darkness. Three of them.
From my understanding, what Ive played so far (chapter 3) is child's play for what's about to come.

My body is actually not ready.

What has Valve done to me.

Reactions: LEANIJA

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
I can never get this shit right.

Humble Monthly is next Friday, right? Not this one? Calendars: HOW DO THEY WORK? :blobclosecry:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
This looks dope

FFXII's ending always gets to me, it's simple and straightforward but it always reminds me of how much I like the characters and world, so I'm always sad when it's over.

Reactions: Swenhir

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I wonder when workshop get's added to Alyx. I see myself crawing more after Im finished with the game.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Valve about to help out teachers now since most schools in Europa (and assumingly USA) is closed.

I mean didn't they also do something with Portal as well in the past and actually "shipped" some sort of education feature for teaching physics and stuff like that?

And it would seem like they have been improving upon this tech since the lab

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm not sure if this is news to most here or not but I noticed just now that Fanatical was also selling steam keys for metro and BL3, same as GMG, and if you click on the game it lets you pick which store you want. Last year I was hoping this is what would happen but I expressed doubt that publishers/Epic would allow this. This was ultimately my biggest fear with former exclusives because of how popular steamworks games are with the more hardcore community, I thought for sure Tim would stipulate that they had to stay as EGS keys to screw us over after the exclusivity period ended.

BL3 in particular is on sale right now for the same price on both stores, however for some reason the super deluxe version is $10 cheaper for steam.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So will both MS and Sony approach Valve to bring HLA to their consoles (HL:A Labo Edition).

Also I do feel like playing some games on my PS4 but I am not sure which ones to play. I do have Death Stranding on PS4 and HZD but those are both coming to PC. I have God of War but I want to play earlier games before playing that one. Also I do have both Days Gone and Spider-Man but those might come to PC??

Also I was able to finish my homework.... I currently have a 45% in the class and from the looks of things if I was to get a perfect score on everything in that class I would have something like a 88%. I have a feeling that I may not end up passing the class and a lot of that will be up to the final and how I do there..... F me.

oh and it was interesting watching Porter Robinson play HL:A he seems to really be into VR but it also seems like he has never played a Half Life game before.

So in 2004 it would seem that the big 3 were Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry. I have played both Far Cry and Half Life 2 but not Doom 3. Half Life 2 has aged a lot better than Far Cry. LTT seems to be more of a Far Cry person

I got the Parkasauras game but I think I may just end up refunding the game. I have not played it a lot but I think I may just end up getting Planet Zoo instead and if I do I think I will get the more expensive version.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So in 2004 it would seem that the big 3 were Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry. I have played both Far Cry and Half Life 2 but not Doom 3. Half Life 2 has aged a lot better than Far Cry.
Doom 3 is pretty good. Its not really a Doom game tho. Its more of a Half-Life game that doesn't reach the highs of Half-Life because its too repetitive and level design is not so great. Still its underrated imo and there are a lot of fun sections in the game where it does become a fun run n gun horror fps. Atmosphere and lighting is really great too. You should check it out.

I played it recently for the first time since probably like 2005 or 06. And I think it holds up. Nowhere near as much as HL2 but still impressive to date. Has 120hz support too.

So will both MS and Sony approach Valve to bring HLA to their consoles (HL:A Labo Edition).
I don't think either will be pushing VR until they sell a lot of next gen consoles. Tho Sony could be crazy enough to push VR very early with PS5 if they have their own big VR game in the pipeline. I think around 2022 you will see Valve release Alyx along with another VR game for consoles.

Last edited:
Reactions: sk2k

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Just saw this, like wait a minute, how does it give both better picture AND better frame rates on same settings!?o_O
DLSS stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling.
There's an AI that gets fed with lots of super sampled images to learn how to make make similar images from the regular resolution without actually having to go through the super sampling step as far as I understand it.
Basically let's say they shove a lot of supersampled 8k images into the AI (1080p downsampled from 8k for example) and then you play on regular 1080p. The AI knows how this should look like downsampled from 8k and turns your 1080p image into a downsampled 8k image. But it doesn't need to render 8k for that, only the actual 1080p so you have better picture quality and save a huuuuuge amount of rendering power at the same time.
That's how I understand it, but I'm not an expert and haven't really looked into this technology much, so take it with a grain of salt :p.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
DLSS stands for Deep Learning Super Sampling.
There's an AI that gets fed with lots of super sampled images to learn how to make make similar images from the regular resolution without actually having to go through the super sampling step as far as I understand it.
Basically let's say they shove a lot of supersampled 8k images into the AI (1080p downsampled from 8k for example) and then you play on regular 1080p. The AI knows how this should look like downsampled from 8k and turns your 1080p image into a downsampled 8k image. But it doesn't need to render 8k for that, only the actual 1080p so you have better picture quality and save a huuuuuge amount of rendering power at the same time.
That's how I understand it, but I'm not an expert and haven't really looked into this technology much, so take it with a grain of salt :p.
But how does that work real time in a desktop GPU? The AI is on the GPU but where does it get the knowledge? While playing? But how is already good at it on the fly when it doesn't have the knowledge already?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
But how does that work real time in a desktop GPU? The AI is on the GPU but where does it get the knowledge? While playing? But how is already good at it on the fly when it doesn't have the knowledge already?
The AI is already trained beforehand.
Quickly reading up on it a bit, previously the AI was trained on a per-game basis. (Imagine a dev sending their game to Nvidia, they run the game on super high resolution and feed that info to the AI and than put that information into the driver I guess? (or the gamecode?))

With DLSS 2.0 they scrapped that approach though and just train the AI in a way that it works everywhere.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The AI is already trained beforehand.
Quickly reading up on it a bit, previously the AI was trained on a per-game basis. (Imagine a dev sending their game to Nvidia, they run the game on super high resolution and feed that info to the AI and than put that information into the driver I guess? (or the gamecode?))

With DLSS 2.0 they scrapped that approach though and just train the AI in a way that it works everywhere.
Sounds great! If it was not on a game basis but something you could turn on in the drivers and it would just look every game look and run better.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Sounds great! If it was not on a game basis but something you could turn on in the drivers and it would just look every game look and run better.
It most likely can't/won't be done in the drivers, since (like e.g. TAA) it requires per-pixel motion vectors and not just an image input. Some games don't generate those at all, and even for others you need to know where they are and what format they are in. However, it should be much easier to integrate than before (with game-specific training).

Personally, I'm less enthused by the DLSS 2.0 results I've seen so far than most press/people. It could well still be a good performance tradeoff, and I'd probably use it in heavy games, but there's some oversharpening artifacts in quite a few scenes. I'm admittedly sensitive to those, and I know from all the reshade (and now driver-level sharpening) results you see that people usually don't mind or even like that.
One thing I want to try when DLSS 2.0 is out is to combine it with DSR and see how the result looks and performs vs. native.

Reactions: Swenhir

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It most likely can't/won't be done in the drivers, since (like e.g. TAA) it requires per-pixel motion vectors and not just an image input. Some games don't generate those at all, and even for others you need to know where they are and what format they are in. However, it should be much easier to integrate than before (with game-specific training).

Personally, I'm less enthused by the DLSS 2.0 results I've seen so far than most press/people. It could well still be a good performance tradeoff, and I'd probably use it in heavy games, but there's some oversharpening artifacts in quite a few scenes. I'm admittedly sensitive to those, and I know from all the reshade (and now driver-level sharpening) results you see that people usually don't mind or even like that.
One thing I want to try when DLSS 2.0 is out is to combine it with DSR and see how the result looks and performs vs. native.
Yeah good to be little reserved with my expectations, I haven't been paying much attention to GPU tech but watched the video and it damn straight up sounded like magic that I just couldn't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.