Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Anyone want to chime in on whether this is actually good or more of a nostalgia thing?
I never finished it but I played some of the original Live A Live and I LOVED it. I'd compare it to Octopath Traveler with its multiple campaigns and overworld abilities, but it's not padded like Octopath, instead each campaign only being around 3 hours long. Consequently, there's no grind, though battles can still be challenging. I like the overworld abilities. The distant future mecha campaign has a really rad sci-fi story and you can read npcs minds. The ninja campaign has a lot of stealth elements so your overworld ability is turning invisible. Combat is sorta like ATB but battlefields are a grid where every time you move an enemy also moves, with some attacks having different ranges. The soundtrack also kicks ass being by Yoko Shimomura and is referenced by Undertale.

I can't recommend Live A Live enough.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Imagine Sony announcing they are done with PC releases without releasing Bloodborne and Demon Souls.

I would probably throw up.

I like really doubt diablo 4 will go on steam even if the microsoft/activision stuff went through immediately magically tomorrow.

It's the reason battle.net even exists and they want to microtransaction it to hell to milk peoples bank accounts so I don't think they would want to give valve any of that along with a long list of other reasons I could think of

The bethesda one made more sense to me because their "Launcher" was just something that essentially double clicked .exe files and then had hyper links to websites. I know that sounds super advanced but however it's surprisingly shit
Yea I think Microsoft will stretch this release out regardless of when the acquisition gets approved.

So summer for BNet and consoles.
Fall for Gamepass
And maybe Steam b4 the end of the year.

The game will be massive too. I can see like 20 million sales on BNet lifetime. And maybe 10-15 million on consoles.
The Steam version will sell an additional 5-10 million. Expansions and rereleases will keep this thing selling for a long while.

Reactions: lashman

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah I can't continue playing TLoU on Medium textures. There are too many blurry and shockingly bad looking textures (PS3 level or worse) on Medium and game still requires 8GB of VRAM for that. I don't know what they did but I sure hope that they will think about rewriting their engine if they intend to continue releasing PC ports.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Update regarding the Resident Evil bundle from Razer website - They will send everyone a new key :blobcheer:

More details in their reddit post
[...]
Welp, that came a bit too late, already gotten my money back from PayPal.
Oh well, not like I had time to play them right now anyway, so I guess I can see it as them saving me from an impulse purchase :grimacing-face:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah I can't continue playing TLoU on Medium textures. There are too many blurry and shockingly bad looking textures (PS3 level or worse) on Medium and game still requires 8GB of VRAM for that. I don't know what they did but I sure hope that they will think about rewriting their engine if they intend to continue releasing PC ports.
Medium works well on the Deck, but that's also a small 7 inch screen and 720p resolution. It's also wild how much of a difference there is from High (which I assume matches PS5) to Medium. Makes very little sense.

Reactions: thekeats1999

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Medium works well on the Deck, but that's also a small 7 inch screen and 720p resolution. It's also wild how much of a difference there is from High (which I assume matches PS5) to Medium. Makes very little sense.
Difference is really crazy. It's not just different in resolution (lower res textures would simply look blury) but some assets really look like they just have color and not details. So it's either a bug or they went with lowering texture quality until they could run game on hardware with 8GB of VRAM or less.

It simply doesn't make any sense that game asks this ridiculous amount of VRAM and he'll even RAM. And sad part is that I can run it at 70-100FPS without any issues other than crashing. Game just overflows VRAM and crashes. And up until that point it runs great.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Difference is really crazy. It's not just different in resolution (lower res textures would simply look blury) but some assets really look like they just have color and not details. So it's either a bug or they went with lowering texture quality until they could run game on hardware with 8GB of VRAM or less.

It simply doesn't make any sense that game asks this ridiculous amount of VRAM and he'll even RAM. And sad part is that I can run it at 70-100FPS without any issues other than crashing. Game just overflows VRAM and crashes. And up until that point it runs great.
nvidia has actually added random last of us crashes on 3000 series gpus to their known issues list for the current driver and i've seen reports that going back to drivers before the first 530 version fixes them... this is something that should've been caught and fixed before launch for sure but might not be on sony/naughty dog alone.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I think the crashes are a separate problem. If you have a stable PC, no overclocks, no faulty RAM or other components, no malfunctioning drivers, then there is no good reason that just running out of VRAM or RAM should lead to a crash. The system has ways of using on-disk swapping to deal with these cases. The performance will tank hard, like literally dropping to single digit framerates maybe, but the game shouldn't just crash, that's never acceptable (on a stable system, mind you).

Reactions: Durante

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
nvidia has actually added random last of us crashes on 3000 series gpus to their known issues list for the current driver and i've seen reports that going back to drivers before the first 530 version fixes them... this is something that should've been caught and fixed before launch for sure but might not be on sony/naughty dog alone.
I saw that and I might try to go back (I hate wiping out drivers entirely and installing new ones because stupid Nvidia deletes ShadowPlay settings too that I need to set up again).

I saw that and I might try to go back (I hate wiping out drivers entirely and installing new ones because stupid Nvidia deletes ShadowPlay settings too that I need to set up again).

I think the crashes are a separate problem. If you have a stable PC, no overclocks, no faulty RAM or other components, no malfunctioning drivers, then there is no good reason that just running out of VRAM or RAM should lead to a crash. The system has ways of using on-disk swapping to deal with these cases. The performance will tank hard, like literally dropping to single digit framerates maybe, but the game shouldn't just crash, that's never acceptable (on a stable system, mind you).
I tried with OC and without OC. I never had issue before with other games. And I have 32GB of RAM and I left page file to be automatically scaled with plenty of space on SSD. And as I said I don't see any big performance drops. In more open areas game runs at 70+FPS in more closed areas 100+FPS. And when game crashes it's 90% of time when transition between areas happens.

Reactions: Mivey

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I tried with OC and without OC. I never had issue before with other games. And I have 32GB of RAM and I left page file to be automatically scaled with plenty of space on SSD. And as I said I don't see any big performance drops. In more open areas game runs at 70+FPS in more closed areas 100+FPS. And when game crashes it's 90% of time when transition between areas happens.
What I mean is, that this is simply a bug in the port and needs to be fixed, or alternatively, something in the driver that is causing issues. The crashing issues are too widespread to be just due to stability issues on the user end.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Did they ever fix Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? I bought it at launch, and it just crashed every time I was in the first village.

• Sad
Reactions: sk2k and lashman

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Did they ever fix Horizon Zero Dawn on PC? I bought it at launch, and it just crashed every time I was in the first village.
As far as I’m aware, Guerilla took it in-house and spent a year releasing fixes.

No idea if your issue was solved, but it’s in a decent state nowadays.

Reactions: Dandy and lashman

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Played Dredge for an hour last night. Enjoying it so far.

the basics are, take your boat out and catch fish. try not to get caught in the fog at night, but as the story progresses this becomes unavoidable. Fishing is a timed mini game. Dial spins around, hit the key when dial is in the right position. Inventory management is a Resi style inventory and different fish are different shapes and sizes.

story is lovecraft style but less oppressive.

word of warning. There is day 1 DLC in the form of The Blackstone Key. Gives you access to a couple of betters items early on. 2 things. Dev says this is down to Team 17, was only ever meant as a Deluxe Edition item but Team 17 released as DLC. Also the game hasn’t been hard enough to even warrant better items early on. Easy to ignore but still scummy.

I am enjoying the game so far and don’t regret buying it. But think it would have been better with about 25% knocked off. (based on uk prices).

Edit: also does appear to be about 10% cheaper on PSN. £21.99 on steam and £19.99 on PSN

Reactions: Yoshi and Riru

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Having played it somewhat extensively about a year ago (3070, Linux), I had no technical issue that I can recall*. My mother plays it on another PC (1070, Windows), and has reported no issues either. On the basis of this sample of two, I'd say it's fine.

*Well actually, I recall an extremely specific display bug having to do with DLSS on Linux on 515.48.07 and above where going to the map permanently hides the right third of the screen. But that's a very niche kind of problem.

Reactions: Dandy and LEANIJA

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
finally, game talks

my game

i have managed to integrate the visuals, as well as basic gameplay through inputting the pieces with a mouse - i am pretty proud, and i'm gonna probably work on illegal move detection + ko fight + file import + capturing pieces later today too

hitman 3

now that i'm at home, i finally come back to my companion that i had forgotten back here for 2 whole months; my computer mouse

now with it, i can actually play hitman 3 decently, which is nice

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Who's the traitor in this? I don't get it.
apparently, he (or rather his "persona") faults PC players for not buying Vita's and saving it.

It's cringe, but people being upset by it is even more cringe and also hilarious
it's just console warrior bullshit, (and no, if you are doing it for years, it's not comedy, its defining your character). Where is his (funny or not) video slamming Naughty Dog and Sony for releasing a shit port? (I am not following him so I don't really know if he made it or not)

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Getting wound up by some youtuber over something stupid like this is funny as hell and just cringe

Is he cringe for doing it? Definitely

Are the people unironically agreeing and console warring also cringe? Yes

Cringe all round
Thank you for the reply. Here is why I think people are right in criticizing him: Sony just released a game that has several issues and lots of people paid for what is essentially a bad experience for them. The games media person that hosts a Playstation-themed podcast decides to fan platform wars and make a joke at the expense of the people that spent money on this product instead of the company that released the game.

As I said on Era, I know it's meant as a joke, I just find the joke itself (and the person's behavior) to be in bad taste.

Lashley

One more thing...
Thank you for the reply. Here is why I think people are right in criticizing him: Sony just released a game that has several issues and lots of people paid for what is essentially a bad experience for them. The games media person that hosts a Playstation-themed podcast decides to fan platform wars and make a joke at the expense of the people that spent money on this product instead of the company that released the game.

As I said on Era, I know it's meant as a joke, I just find the joke itself (and the person's behavior) to be in bad taste.
Fair enough, but I've seen more people mad at him for the stupid joke than Sony or ND for knowingly releasing a bad port

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Greg's problem is the timing of that joke. People have payed their hard-working money for a game and then receive a bad experience and then a prominent YouTube personality makes fun of them.

If he did it in a month's time or before the release, no problem.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Fair enough, but I've seen more people mad at him for the stupid joke than Sony or ND for knowingly releasing a bad port
I think people have expressed their disappointment towards Sony en masse through all appropriate channels, including social media and Steam reviews. The only reason Miller is in the spotlight now is because he was dumb enough to kick the hornet's nest while people are angry and disappointed for buying an unfinished product.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I mean, this is kinda funny, I liked his bit. By the point he mentions the Vita of all things ( and blaming PC players for it?) you can tell it's not being serious.
Well, at least I hope it's not being serious.

Lashley

One more thing...
Greg's problem is the timing of that joke. People have payed their hard-working money for a game and then receive a bad experience and then a prominent YouTube personality makes fun of them.

If he did it in a month's time or before the release, no problem.
He does cringe jokes about PC players all the time, there's a reason turbotax commented on one of the videos

Status
Not open for further replies.