Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Speaking of family sharing, I know that consoles also have different so what's the main benefit of those over what Steam has?

I heard something how multiple people can play the same game at the same time. And I'm curious if they are not mistaking that for Share Play, which is basically just Steam remote play? Or something similar. If by some chance that feature lets you download a game and play that game together by only owning one copy. Then the issue is that it's a payed feature. If you want to use that then you need to be signed up for PS+.

But I'm still not sure if that's the feature that I heard something people mention.
The way game sharing works on Xbox is I can stick my account on one other person's console (in my case, my brother's), and he can use all my games at any time, including the one I'm presently playing. We finished the Diablo IV campaign this way in co-op using a single copy of the game, which was great! Steam's approach is a little more restrictive, as you can't play the same game simultaneously without having two separate licenses... but overall its not a big deal for me as I mostly play single player stuff.

On PS, I also share my digital library (which is mostly amassed PS Plus games, and a useless Premium sub i never use) with my friend... who doesn't have PS Plus at all, but he can play all my games just fine. It doesnt seem locked to Plus at all? Or maybe at least one of the two accounts (the sharer and the beneficiary) has to have PS Plus.

Reactions: PC-tan

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

You don't have to worry about Tarn Adams' millionaire status turning him corporate any time soon. At this year's GDC, the Dwarf Fortress maker came out swinging against a brutal climate of layoffs, cancellations, and general downsizing across the games industry, declaring that the executives responsible can "all eat shit." Just in case you needed a reason to like Dwarf Fortress even more.

"Three to four years from now, what are [Dwarf Fortress] sales looking like?" pondered Adams in a chat with PCG, "What kind of decisions do we have to make [with] burn rates and all that stuff?" Considering the possibility of making those hard decisions some day down the line, Tarn wondered if the experience would give him "more empathy for the people that lay people off.

"No, I don't fucking think so," he concluded. "They can all eat shit, I think they're horrible, and I think they're bad people."

Which is a pretty definitive statement all by itself, but Adams continued: "These decisions, they don't sound practical. They sound like they're driven by greedy, greedy people trying to make some kind of venture capital thing work out.

"There is this stench of rot at the top of things where the reasons people get laid off is because of funding structures and bad incentives and stupidity," said Adams, damning execs for firing people "that they shouldn't fire because their company will fall apart, but I guess maybe that helps someone's bottom line somewhere or gets the right air inside the right golden parachute."
Kings.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
This Pieyon’s Oshi no ko inspired game is out. XD

PS: As far as I like Hi-Fi RUSH is very pathetic how a lot of sites that reviewed the game on XBOX and Steam and gave something like a 5 are now giving 9s or more with ps5 release. And even worse with the excuse reviews are from different people.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So just to talk a bit about games I'm playing around, FF7 modded... is pretty painful.
It looks mostly great, plays well but... it's so, so slow. I hate how every encounter takes a good while to clear up, and how meandering some zones feel. Of course they did that to pad up the game time (some things never change) and to avoid having tons of seconds long screens (of which there were a lot more than I remembered in places, Midgar is weird), but sometimes it feels a bit grueling.

I just think the PS1 games aged so, so much more than the older ones.
The remasters help too, being able to disable encounters with only a button is so much better than fucking around with menus (or shortcuts that make the game hitch like my frankensteined version)... and being able to set different progression rates and random battles rates when possible? It's night and day with just having the option to effectively break everything with the ridiculous boosters of the modern versions of FF7 onward.

And now for Rebirth, playing it old school with a friend (which I think is the best way to play those JRPGs!), I think it's pretty good. Way better than Remake.
I still have my issues with the combat, and pacing is arguably worse... but on the other hand? If you don't want to screw with the mediocre open world activities, you don't have to. You can come back later no problem. So the game adapts to your way to play it, even more so with the scaling difficulty if you just want to rush through. That's a great thing for pacing honestly.
Picking things up around is not super deep... but then you can craft some useful stuff and equip it. You have a very, very barebones "sphere grid" which isn't great... but it removes a lot of fiddling with materia.
So the RPG systems, for once, actually feel nice, simple, and they just work without friction. I think it's one of the game's strong points, very simple things that work and don't get in the way, Huuuuge difference with the average AAA that loses itself in fake complexity and annoyance.

Now, it is extremely light in story considering the part of the game it covers has almost nothing going in the original... so when the side quests and the character interactions are not great, it falls a bit flat. I didn't like much the Costa del Sol area, and if you want to 100%, get ready for some real menial stuff. But again, fully optional so... it's not really a problem in the end.
Except that it will demote Remake further in my list, I can't imagine replaying it after Rebirth... I hope they'll change some things for the complete collection because oof...

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
NOOOOOO!!!!
I would've gotten Undernauts cheaper if I checked it there
And I dont feel like refunding
If it helps, the only payment method available to us on gamersgate is credit card and after payment your order will 100% be "randomly" selected for manual review because we're brown people. And then you'd have to wait 12 hours or more to get your key. Not worth the trouble to save a few bucks.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Are we predicting Horizon 2 CCU numbers? I will be harsh and say that it will at best match Horizon 1 numbers.

• Toucan

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Are we predicting Horizon 2 CCU numbers? I will be harsh and say that it will at best match Horizon 1 numbers.
Yeah I expect even less, does not seem like there is much hype for it. 50K is my guess.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I don't think Horizon does nearly that well. It doesn't have the novelty of being the first Playstation game on PC and Dragon's Dogma 2 releases like 9 hours later. Maybe 20-25k at best.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Korean industry nailed it

On one hand Korea can potentially make pretty games. On the other hand those pretty games can potentially become a monetary predatory thing. Like how Korean MMOs are.

Right now they do look samey, but that's not exactly a bad thing.

We do have single player games from Korea but there just aren't that many.

Well at least we can look forward to Korean Sims and that one Korean Pokemon game if it ever comes out.

As for layoff. A big portion seems to do with execs bitting off more than they can chew. A lot of places hired a huge amount of people, or bought some company or something and now that they have to report stuff to stock holders they have to trim fat in order to keep on making them happy. Which sucks.

One of the biggest lies I was told as a child is that you get a 2 week notice. As a employee you give a 2 week notice to be courteous and also it looks bad if your new employer calls your old employer and they just say that you quit out of the blue without prior notice.

But they on the other hand can just call you in and let you know that you are fired. Back up your stuff and security will be seeing you out.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
On one hand Korea can potentially make pretty games. On the other hand those pretty games can potentially become a monetary predatory thing. Like how Korean MMOs are.

Right now they do look samey, but that's not exactly a bad thing.

We do have single player games from Korea but there just aren't that many.

Well at least we can look forward to Korean Sims and that one Korean Pokemon game if it ever comes out.

As for layoff. A big portion seems to do with execs bitting off more than they can chew. A lot of places hired a huge amount of people, or bought some company or something and now that they have to report stuff to stock holders they have to trim fat in order to keep on making them happy. Which sucks.

One of the biggest lies I was told as a child is that you get a 2 week notice. As a employee you give a 2 week notice to be courteous and also it looks bad if your new employer calls your old employer and they just say that you quit out of the blue without prior notice.

But they on the other hand can just call you in and let you know that you are fired. Back up your stuff and security will be seeing you out.
Bro was just gooning at T&A and you gave him a lesson in labor dynamics XD

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Really interested to see how Forbidden West runs on the Deck. I'm thinking about picking one up (the Oled version).
I'm concerned and curious as well but for Ghost of Tsushima.

I believe the Forbidden West PC comes with the DLC which was exclusive to PS5 so this is the PS5 version of the game.

And its most likely the same with GoT. If it runs bad on Deck I might just pass and save money for SMTV and other lower demanding games that come out later this year.

I have a feeling all these newer games are gonna run terribly on Deck in the coming years. The games are getting bigger and worlds are larger. Tho I will give credit to Sony that they have done their best to make sure their games are verified.

I imagine the PC version FFXVI and Rebirth will be rough too as PS5 owners have been complaining about visuals/performance.

We are soon gonna enter that time when Valve should start to feel the pressure to hurry up with the RnD for Deck 2....AMD as well.

Edit: Not to dissuade you from picking up a Deck. You absolutely should as its an amazing device. I just been thinking about performances of these upcoming games too.

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

I think this tool should let me switch from the insider builds of Windows to the more stable update channels without wiping my hard drive... definitely backing up my OS first, really hope this does what I think it does.
Okay, it doesn't let you do that. God fucking damn it, just let me leave the dev channel without losing everything.

• Sad

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I'm concerned and curious as well but for Ghost of Tsushima.

I believe the Forbidden West PC comes with the DLC which was exclusive to PS5 so this is the PS5 version of the game.

And its most likely the same with GoT. If it runs bad on Deck I might just pass and save money for SMTV and other lower demanding games that come out later this year.

I have a feeling all these newer games are gonna run terribly on Deck in the coming years. The games are getting bigger and worlds are larger. Tho I will give credit to Sony that they have done their best to make sure their games are verified.

I imagine the PC version FFXVI and Rebirth will be rough too as PS5 owners have been complaining about visuals/performance.

We are soon gonna enter that time when Valve should start to feel the pressure to hurry up with the RnD for Deck 2....AMD as well.

Edit: Not to dissuade you from picking up a Deck. You absolutely should as its an amazing device. I just been thinking about performances of these upcoming games too.
Tsushima should run alright given that it is barely improved on ps5. The Deck should have no issues at 720p/medium settings like other ps4 titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and yuraya

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Bro was just gooning at T&A and you gave him a lesson in labor dynamics XD
Sadly that's one of the downside of this forum is that when you make a post it's gets glued to your previous one. So you have to wait a while before making another post.
By the way here is a cool Steam Deck video.

If this post is attached to my reply to NarohDethan then it sort of proves the precious issue that I mentioned about stuff being merged.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
As much as I would like to grab the new Horizon day 1 (even not being the first games biggest fan) I still won’t be buying them at that price. They currently sit at about £10 to high than I am happy to pay for them. This applies to GoT as well. So I will be waiting for the first sale on them both.

In fact, there is only one game I will be buying full price and that is the next FFXIV expansion, Dawntrail.

Just as a footnote, my not paying full price only really applies to AAA games. I am happy to buy Indie games at full price.

Reactions: Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Too busy to be playing Horizon 2 or DD2 any time soon, I think . But I'm having fun with Outcast 2 and Greedfall still has that typical Spiders RPG charme.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
The What's New part of Steam's Library just surfaced this for me. It's a couple of weeks old, so maybe everyone's seen it? But it's initially DoTA related, so maybe not.

Between the Lanes: Denying Denial of Service

Welcome back to Between the Lanes, a blog feature where members of our development team walk through some of the challenges, bugfixes, and occasional happy accidents we encounter while working on a game as unique as Dota.

This is a story about the internet, and how it doesn’t work like it should, when it works at all, except when it doesn’t. It’s a story about how the internet stopped working for our customers, and how we fixed it.
To prevent attackers from using our own network to attack our servers, we needed to control all the entrances and secure them. We accomplished this by creating proxies for game traffic, routing every single packet of data transmitted across the network through relays. Now when a client wanted to talk to a game server, it had to do so through a relay that both authenticated it and proxied that traffic to the game server. This meant the IP address of the server was always hidden—the attacker simply had no idea where to attack.
A feature that started as a way to protect Dota game servers has grown past what anyone could have expected. The SDR network routinely delivers as much as 140M packets and 550GBit per second. We have relays in 31 data centers with a capacity of over 5TBit. What we now call the Steam Datagram Relay not only protects against DDoS attacks, but also increases connectivity and lowers ping for every Dota customer. And it doesn’t just do this for Dota, but for any game on Steam that wants to take advantage of it.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I made my character in the DD2 character creator yesterday. It's one of the most in-depth (visually) character creation tools I've seen. You even have several options for adjusting your walk cycle, which I don't recall any other game having.
The option for the number of teeth your character does (or doesn't) have was impressive (and nightmare fuelish).

• This!
Reactions: Durante

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
call it an action game with hardcore combat or anything like that but not an hardcore rpg please. it doesn't compare with stuff like wrath of the righteous or tyranny or others that fall under the hardcore rpg umbrella because in terms of rpg mechanics it's rather simplistic. it's equivalent to monster hunter or dark souls, there are hardcore parts in their design but it's not the rpg part.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
You even have several options for adjusting your walk cycle, which I don't recall any other game having.
Well, Dark Souls 2's sarcophagus is 1° an option that 2° changes your walk cycle. Among... other things.

You also can change your walk cycle at will by using your left or right weapon; depending on the last hand used, you get different cycles.

So I think that's at least 4 cycles you can choose from.

What I'm trying to say here is that DS2 is the perfect game. :blobking:

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
call it an action game with hardcore combat or anything like that but not an hardcore rpg please. it doesn't compare with stuff like wrath of the righteous or tyranny or others that fall under the hardcore rpg umbrella because in terms of rpg mechanics it's rather simplistic. it's equivalent to monster hunter or dark souls, there are hardcore parts in their design but it's not the rpg part.
Meh, it's still an RPG with hardcore elements that'll appeal to hardcore gamers more than casual gamers, but point noted. I wasn't trying to compare it to actual RPGs like Wrath or BG.

:shrugblob:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
What does "hardcore" even mean anymore? Outside of playing as a mage in the early parts of the game, Dragon's Dogma 1 was pretty easy if you keep levelling up and once you hit the endgame you are pretty much invincible. I think what makes DD so interesting is how much it tries to simulate and how most mechanics can be used for different things. You can pick up objects and throw them, but then it applies this to NPCs and characters and enemies too, so if your characters is strong enough, they can pick up light enemies and throw them over a cliff. What felt a bit lacking was the enemy AI, which rarely did anything interesting or surprising. I won't be getting to DD2 anytime soon, but I really hope the focus for the sequel is making enemies and surrounding NPCs behave in more interesting ways

Status
Not open for further replies.