Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Devs/publishers adding (additional) monetization right after the reviews are published is incredibly scummy. Valve should update their ToS to prevent this.
Well people are defending them, so this is what the gamerz want

Apparently MTX were outlined in Review guide they sent to reviewers.
If so, reviewers are literally useless. Thank fuck for User Reviews.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Plus the mtx items are items that can be obtained in-game, they're the pointless shortcut type of mtx.
I don't consider that a valid defense. The people selling you the shortcut are the ones determining how difficult it is to obtain in-game. They are actively making the game tedious/less fun to encourage people to open their wallets.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah didn't look like the MTX were anything necessary.
True. If I hate the way my character looks, it's not going to make the game unplayable. It's just going to make me constantly think about starting over... or swiping my credit card so I can make their eyes further apart or something!

Reactions: Ge0force

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
True. If I hate the way my character looks, it's not going to make the game unplayable. It's just going to make me constantly think about starting over... or swiping my credit card so I can make their eyes further apart or something!
Oh yeah you are right, I forgot about that one, that is indeed a weird thing to lock behind a buy in!

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Or you can just play the game and unlock the character editor.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
On PC at least you can always get these items easily via cheats. Maybe once Denuvo has been removed, not sure if Denuvo stop the use of Cheat Engine or not.

Reactions: QFNS

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I don't consider that a valid defense. The people selling you the shortcut are the ones determining how difficult it is to obtain in-game. They are actively making the game tedious/less fun to encourage people to open their wallets.
I didn't mean to defend them, I think these mtx shouldn't have existed at all, and based on people playing the game, seems like the game wouldn't be any worse if they didn't exist and no changes were made to the difficulty of obtaining these items?

Reactions: Dandy

Kiru

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Crap. Seems like I need to return to my original store region to use the new Family Share feature.

• Sad
Reactions: LEANIJA

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Or you can just play the game and unlock the character editor.
I cancelled my pre-order already, so I haven't played the game. I cannot tell you how much effort it takes to get these items in game. Maybe it is trivial. If so, then I guess this is one of the few rare occasions where microtransactions have been added to a game with no trade off to the user experience. Of course, if that is the case, then why do they exist?

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I cancelled my pre-order already, so I haven't played the game. I cannot tell you how much effort it takes to get these items in game. Maybe it is trivial. If so, then I guess this is one of the few rare occasions where microtransactions have been added to a game with no trade off to the user experience. Of course, if that is the case, then why do they exist?
To prey on people that aren't enthusiasts, don't know better and just want a cheat code, just like pretty much every Capcom game in the past 10 years.

Like don't get me wrong, this sort of MTX is very scummy still, I just think I have bigger whales to hunt when it comes to being outraged about paid DLC. You can't even buy these more than once.

• This!
Reactions: Dandy and ezodagrom

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

"Greed has been fucking this whole thing up for so long, since I started," Vincke said, while collecting the GDCA Best Narrative award for Baldur's Gate 3. "I've been fighting publishers my entire life and I keep on seeing the same, same, same mistakes over, and over and over.

"It's always the quarterly profits," he continued, "the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say 'shit I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken...

"You don't have to," Vincke went on. "You can make reserves. Just slow down a bit. Slow down on the greed. Be resilient, take care of the people, don't lose the institutional knowledge that's been built up in the people you lose every single time, so you have to go through the same cycle over and over and over. It really pisses me off."
Swen is the fucking best.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Devs/publishers adding (additional) monetization right after the reviews are published is incredibly scummy. Valve should update their ToS to prevent this.
People love this, just in this march thread some people have denfended these practices cause are made by their beolved franchises and mulimillionarie publishers. So enjoy it.

• Sad

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar."
It not being DOS3 makes me happy. I do hope it's still a turn-based CRPG of some kind though.

Swen also says that before Xmas, Larian had decided to do BG3 DLC. And then when he came back from break he changed his mind, and everyone was happy about it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have to say I really liked the intro sequence of DD2. Well paced, the cinematics are great, and nicely integrated tutorializing.

Ran at a pretty consistent (i.e. no weird frametime spikes) ~85 FPS throughout, entirely CPU limited (my GPU was at 60%), with all settings maxed.
And it looks quite nice in my opinion.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
So there won't be any dlc or expansion to BG3? I know a couple of friends that were waiting for an eventual "complete experience"
There will absolutely be a "Baldur's Gate 3 Definitive/Enhanced Edition" as that's the norm for most of the recent Larian's cRPGs, it simply won't be paid just like OS1&2. Even Owlcat's cRPGs are the same and Rogue Trader won't be an exception
It not being DOS3 makes me happy. I do hope it's still a turn-based CRPG of some kind though.
KOTOR3 please

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: kio

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
DD2 could easily be a GOTY contender apparently. However, I don't want to be the doomsday guy here but, the terrible technical state the game launched in, the 70$ price tag, the absolutely baffling implementation of mtx, and the whole mod blocking software fiasco from a couple of weeks back makes me think that this could be one of the last Capcom hits before the default into their shitty state they were back in 2012.
Monster Hunter 6 is coming. That is going to be Capcom's biggest launch ever and I'm predicting it'll push a million peak CCU.

And here's a hot take; I believe Monster Hunter matches or is approaching the popularity of Souls on PC.

Does anyone know if using a VPN to redeem a key that doesn't work in your region work?

CDkeys are taking the piss about refunding my order
You cannot activate a key with a VPN. You'll have to change your Steam store region to get the key to work.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
What would be interesting is if if Dragon's Dogma 2 with frame generation would be able to increase the FPS and effectively overcome the CPU bound by having to render only half as many frames

Reactions: QFNS

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was finally able to get Titanfall 2 to work on my PC.

I had to remove the EA App, download a newer version of the Origin app, download the screw you EA thing.

Also I didn't realize that I had another version of Titanfall 2 on my PC from EA Play. Maybe that's why it said something about incompatibility because I actually had 2 different versions of Titanfall 2 from 2 different sources. And my EA Play thing was expired since that was from Game Pass Ultimate. But even when I removed it, I still couldn't play the game so that was not the only issue. It seems.

Anyway I'm glad that I can now play Titanfall 2. When I was playing Titanfall 2 back in 2020, I was mainly focused on the multiplayer aspect of it since it would mean more players and I can enjoy that experience of it. I ended up uninstalling it since I just prefer the multiplayer of Titanfall 1. I like how more simpler it was and they just removed some stuff that I thought was cool. Like titan rodeo riding where instead of you just just dropping a grenade, you actually had to use your weapons to shoot at the titan while you are riding it. I liked getting stuff like the LMG Spitfire and just shooting at it like crazy. Also they don't have ATLAS in Titanfall 2, which by far is the best design of all the Titans in Titanfall, the Strider is all a cool design and they sort of having something like it.

I never got to play the campaign mainly because I uninstalled it since there were a lot of good people playing Titanfall 2 not that long after it's launch on Steam and then it started to not become as fun since the balance gap was just insane.

I may have to look back in to Titanfall 1. I remember hearing that the servers were taken down but I wonder if there are fan made community servers or something that were created.

Reactions: thekeats1999

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
There will absolutely be a "Baldur's Gate 3 Definitive/Enhanced Edition" as that's the norm for most of the recent Larian's cRPGs, it simply won't be paid just like OS1&2. Even Owlcat's cRPGs are the same and Rogue Trader won't be an exception

KOTOR3 please

Please no! I'm sick and tired of Star Wars and Marvel, anything but that Larian! Please... I'm begging you...

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Since MTX stuff was included in the reviewers guide, did no one read the guide. or did no one think to actually write anything about it?

Capcom's being doing cheat-like shortcut MTX's for a while now, kind of surprised to see this finally being the straw that broke the camel's back.
I'm guessing it's the character editor item. Even though it's available through gameplay, it's unclear to me how limited it is. Saw someone mention that while the in-game cost isn't much, it's sold in limited quantities. Not sure if that's accurate however.

Or perhaps it's just the general mood with Capcom that finally tipped everything over. "Cheaters are bad" RD slides, all the Enigma bullshit, all CPU bottleneck news, and now the MTX news as the super ultra combo finisher.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Since MTX stuff was included in the reviewers guide, did no one read the guide. or did no one think to actually write anything about it?
I'm pretty sure rift crystals were included in the preorder bonuses, so MTXs were confirmed the moment preorders started. I guess no one looked into it? Not like any of this is surprising for me since Capcom has been doing this since World. I guess the whole anti modding sentiment was simply the straw that broke the camel's back

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, useless game journos are useless, as usual.

That being said, weeb-ier games have been full of mtx for a good decade now, nothing new and I've yet to play a game that needs them.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm pretty sure rift crystals were included in the preorder bonuses, so MTXs were confirmed the moment preorders started. I guess no one looked into it? Not like any of this is surprising for me since Capcom has been doing this since World. I guess the whole anti modding sentiment was simply the straw that broke the camel's back
I do feel like an issue is that they are designing the game to where it's even an option. Hey if you want to change the way your character looks and stuff you will have to pay us. But don't worry you will have a few chances to change how you look with some in game stuff. Which we may or may not give you. In monster Hunter I don't think it's as big of a deal since your mainly covered in armor to begin with. Where the issue does arise in Monster Hunter is if your a male or female hunter since the design for their armor is very different. I'm still not sure why you couldn't make it easier for people to change stuff? Is it because of backend stuff? Which is why FFXIV charges for it? And others MMOs? Dark souls doesn't have a recustomize feature, but if it did, would it cost money?

The only way for some of these MTX to work and for people to buy them is to design scenarios where they may be beneficial to some people and that's why they decided to buy them.

There was criticism for SMT 3 where the Easy mode was paid DLC, or something like that.

Going back to cheats, if you had cheats and were able to use them in the first place then you wouldn't need to worry about these MTX (I'm not really sure if they really are that, since aren't MTX reoccurring? While DLC is just a 1 time purchase?) since you could unlock the same features that they have in the game for free and also change other stuff as well. But Capcom doesn't seem happy with that Idea.

For RE IX Capcom will likely have an official licensed Thomas the Engine DLC that you can buy for just $15. You heard it here first.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Please no! I'm sick and tired of Star Wars and Marvel, anything but that Larian! Please... I'm begging you...
As much as I would love a turn=based Star Wars CRPG, I don't see Larian passing on one licensed IP for another even more restrictive one.

• This!
Reactions: Le Pertti

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
They knew about it. They were just not allowed to talk about it. Review guides often forbid reviewers from talking about certain things. Stuff like 'don't talk about the story after this point' or 'don't talk about locations after the first act' or 'don't share screenshots beyond this point in the game'. Obviously if a reviewer defies these instructions then they will never get early review copies in the future.

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Hmm, made it to the city in DD2 - Looks like my framerate is around 55FPS (Which would appear to be consistent with the reports of "Half your framerate out in the wilderness"), but the real issue is that the framepacing completely goes to crap. It's not stuttering but the uneven frames are distracting.

Had this random spot in the wilderness en-route to the city with a ladder over a ledge
which I guess you need to Springboard to get to, so I'll be going back there again soon
which made my FPS mysteriously tank for some reason.

7900X3D
RTX 4090
64GBs of 5600MHz RAM

Reactions: thekeats1999

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
They knew about it. They were just not allowed to talk about it. Review guides often forbid reviewers from talking about certain things. Stuff like 'don't talk about the story after this point' or 'don't talk about locations after the first act' or 'don't share screenshots beyond this point in the game'. Obviously if a reviewer defies these instructions then they will never get early review copies in the future.
It has been confirmed by other journos that Capcom was entirely transparent about monetization, and that it wasn't even part of the review guide but ain a distinct separate pdf. No need to get the conspiracy theories out.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Capcom's being doing cheat-like shortcut MTX's for a while now, kind of surprised to see this finally being the straw that broke the camel's back.
I'm guessing it's the character editor item. Even though it's available through gameplay, it's unclear to me how limited it is. Saw someone mention that while the in-game cost isn't much, it's sold in limited quantities. Not sure if that's accurate however.

Or perhaps it's just the general mood with Capcom that finally tipped everything over. "Cheaters are bad" RD slides, all the Enigma bullshit, all CPU bottleneck news, and now the MTX news as the super ultra combo finisher.
Monster Hunter World had character editor DLC as well - and in that game editing your character could only be done by paying a premium - but people didn't really give a shit.

I feel like it's a "bitch eating crackers" situation because the game runs poorly.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
It has been confirmed by other journos that Capcom was entirely transparent about monetization, and that it wasn't even part of the review guide but ain a distinct separate pdf. No need to get the conspiracy theories out.
Where's the conspiracy theory here? It was a general observation about review guides and how they work. I'm aware they were transparent about the dlc with reviewers. Why do you think nobody wrote about it?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Where's the conspiracy theory here? It was a general observation about review guides and how they work. I'm aware they were transparent about the dlc with reviewers. Why do you think nobody wrote about it?
Choose your adventure :
  • Reviewers are shit.
  • Those are inconsequential MTX, just like in a million other games.

I'm fine with either one.

Reactions: xinek

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
By the way, I keep saying reviewers are shit, but I'm beginning to feel really bad about those broad statements when they include both people like Theswweet and Jez Corden or whatever. There is a clear difference and yes, you can still find good, professional reviews. They are just, uh, not the norm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.