Community MetaSteam | March 2024 - Can we find Moominvalley in the Forbidden West?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
In this whole big shit storm, I'm... still undecided about buying DD2.
On the one hand, I really have to push myself to let go and play games even if I haven't played older iterations. Life is too short to always catch up.
On the other I have DD1 unplayed and 'free'. not 40+ on a key site.

But uh, not gonna lie, 3d graphics age slower, but DD1 is decidedly not as appealing as it once was.

Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Horizon 2 now at 30K CCU and DD2 at 210K, only 10K off my estimate.
I am glad Horizon 2 is growing a bit after its launch, the PC version is really spectacularly well done.
Even the little details, that loading time takes like 5 seconds, that I can skip logo with single press and menu appears instantly, that I can quit the game anytime directly from the game and do not have to go to main menu first (I fucking HATE this in japanese games).

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
This made my weekend. I had a feeling we’d be seeing another Boomer Shooter bundle at some point, and this is just a home run for me.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I have ordered a Steam Deck Oled.
Hoping for my package not to be stolen now.
Is that still a thing? Now that that Steam Decks are widely available , I don't see why anyone would risk stealing one. Not like you could put it up for sale for a big markup and who would risk losing a job and potentially legal troubles, if caught, without any real financial benefit

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Is that still a thing? Now that that Steam Decks are widely available , I don't see why anyone would risk stealing one. Not like you could put it up for sale for a big markup and who would risk losing a job and potentially legal troubles, if caught, without any real financial benefit
Yes, very much still a thing in my region considering Valve uses GLS. They are known thieves.
I'll try having it delivered to a delivery point instead of my home address.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Sad, DD2 doesn't perform anywhere near as good as FW on my aging PC. Even at low settings 1080p it goes down to ~24 fps in the very first camp. Cinematics seem to tank fps similarly for some reason, maybe they default to higher fidelity face models or something like that. Higher settings wasn't much worse unless taken to the extreme. Granted it doesn't look awful even in lower settings, except the shadows that need to be at least high to not have constant shimmering everywhere. But performance probably gets way worse getting into the meat of gameplay. The game seems nice but I don't think I can play like this. Also I might prefer the Japanese VA, the medieval english text reads ok but actually listening to it it's a bit obnoxious and pretentious instead somehow.

• Sad
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
FFXIV Dawntrail releasing july 2nd (june 28th early access for pre-orders).

Yoshi-P: So we wanted to release FFXIV Dawntrail a bit earlier, but we realized that there's y'know, THAT DLC releasing around that time...

Everyone: ???

Yoshi-P: whispers Elden...Ring...DLC...?

He says that he himself also wants to play it, hence the later release date lol
:toucan:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
What am I missing with activating Frame Gen? Tried it with FSR 3 on Remnant 2 and it looks like my character is ghosting

• Sad

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
ホッタケ: I don't like Framegen because it doesn't fix the fundamental issue it's paving over, especially in CPU-bound games.

Ultimately framegen is creating an image that is no longer in-sync with game-state, and thus input.
That's why Nvidia also spend a lot of time to develop tools to minimise input delay as much as possible, to help mitigate those effects. You'd be surprised how latent some PC ports are, frequently hitting up to 20 or 30 ms total input latency, even without any frame gen. With things like Reflex, you can often drop this down to under 10ms, which then with framegen would lead to about 20ms. That's not perfect, but as I said, pretty much in line with what many games provide out of the box anyway.

That said, the question is always how high or low the base framerate is. If the pre-frame gen frame times are already 30ms or higher, so 30 FPS or lower, then yeah, frame gen isn't going to feel very good. On the other hand, if you would get something near or above 60 FPS, or 16ms, then I think frame gen could help keep the presentation feel more consistent over all.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
ホッタケ: I don't like Framegen because it doesn't fix the fundamental issue it's paving over, especially in CPU-bound games.

Ultimately framegen is creating an image that is no longer in-sync with game-state, and thus input.

POV: You are a Girls' Frontline fan
Hottake? Is this an article taken from somewhere or is it your own hottake?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Does any one remember the name of the upcoming fps voxel cyberpunk game coming to PC? It has a really cool trailer with some cool music and is less than 2 minutes long.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Does any one remember the name of the upcoming fps voxel cyberpunk game coming to PC? It has a really cool trailer with some cool music and is less than 2 minutes long.
Could it be Nivalis? Not really an FPS but definitely first person perspective. I still need to play Cloudpunk (this game is a spinoff in the same universe).

Last edited:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
HFW hitting 35k CCU is not too shabby considering the horrible idea of releasing it next to DD2. It almost hit TLOU numbers.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Yeah like gaming is a hobby, if it's not fun then do something else. The desire to play games again will come later.

I'm actually loving gaming right now because for 11 years I was too poor to partake in this expensive ass hobby. Now I'm just catching up with all the great games from the past decade.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
For me it comes in waves. I'll spend weeks or months barely playing anything, I'll spend all my time watching Anime or Movies and Vtubers all day. Then the gaming bug kicks in and it reverses, I stop watching TV/Movies and just focus on games.

I agree with Cacher, breaks are good. :nobully:
Yeah, completely agree. In my case, I put 2 to 3 hours into Ace Attorney (during commuting) per week during the last few months. Meanwhile, I just put 5 hours into Reverse Collapse since yesterday. Now gaming is good again.
Yeah like gaming is a hobby, if it's not fun then do something else. The desire to play games again will come later.

I'm actually loving gaming right now because for 11 years I was too poor to partake in this expensive ass hobby. Now I'm just catching up with all the great games from the past decade.
I will likely do the same during 2024. Haven't bought anything other than RC and the Saboteur lately, and new games are just too expensive. Going to dig deeper into the backlog this year.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I couldn't get a shut-eye, and while being unable to sleep I also didn't do shit. Extremely pumped for today. Will be shock full of nothing.

I guess I could start making my DD2 characters, as, yes, I was incredibly kindly offered it by a member. I shit you not, I turn my bed light off for the day thinking about how Internet was a mistake, people are fucking vile and love nothing more than to hate on things (not just DD2, I have another situation in mind in the last week), can't sleep, turn on the light, get PM. Basically 'hey mate, enjoy'.
I'm still reeling :cat-heart-blob:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Could it be Nivalis? Not really an FPS but definitely first person perspective. I still need to play Cloudpunk (this game is a spinoff in the same universe).
Sadly it's not that one. I say it's a FPS since you do have a gun and are shooting things. I thought it was a voxel game, but I guess low poly would be a better way to describe it. I mentioned voxel since I think they mentioned something like that in one of your YouTube videos when talking about the game.

Other stuff I remember is that there are some dancers as part of one of the trailers. Like it was a strip club or something. You also had dudes in some futuristic military outfit.

Also rather than Japanese, some of the signs I believe were in Korean.
-------
Titanfall 2 is cool

Last edited:

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! Le Pertti is giving away 8 gift(s).

This is a first-come, first-served giveaway. Once you enter, your key will be delivered to you instantly via a PM.

It's my birthday in 4 days, 45 years old, that is so old!

So to celebrate, here are some games for you all! Thank you all for existing and making such a great community. :cat-heart-blob:

The following games are being given away:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I will go on a limb and say no without being PC-tan
Pretty sure the game he must be talking about got coverage on gematsu recently. I, too, vaguely recall a night club.

You will excuse me if I don’t look more into it, I’m waking up at 3pm from my very normal day sleep :confounded-face:

edit
Or not. Page 30 in the archives and nothing. I distinctly remember seeing screens of this game, but all I could think about was ‘Oh neat, I guess. Another cyberpunk retro fps’.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
To celebrate the release of Horizon 2 on PC, I started Days Gone.

And.... yeah. I don't care one bit about the biker aesthetics, but I think it doesn't detract, and it's less commonly seen. Same thing for being postapo, but just two years after the fact, so the world is not completely gone yet and people are making do with what is left.

No, my issue is more of game design in general... now it might be open world, but it doesn't feel like one, since it's all mission based, even the side content. There's no real exploration, you just follow the few mission markers (technically there are ? "random encounters", but they get you... nothing?)... and that's where it hurts, because the average mission is just flat and boring. Melee feels bad, shooting is not much better, and even bike chases with the admittedly really nice feeling bike? I couldn't shake off that... GTA3 chase scenes were better and more varied. Which is a bit sad!

And progression as usual with those SonyWarnerBisoft games is terrible.
Woohoo, choose +25 in one stat with the bandit zombie camp chest reward. Gain XP and unlock basic bitch skills like get twice as many sticks and animal meats! Aren't you glad we have RPG systems in those? Eurgh.
But I think Days Gone specifically fails hard at it with the bike upgrades, that's supposed to be suuuper relevant and... you grind a literal MMO reputation to get more shop options in camps (by picking up near literal bear asses and mushrooms), which is already terrible, only to unlock... gas tank 1 with a sliver more fuel on the stat bar. And then gas tank 2 to get even a little more.
They couldn't even add names? Are we stuck in 1991?
In the same way that the UI is maybe the worst I've seen in a AAA, barely usable tabs that you somehow still have to scroll through... horizontally, and everywhere you go, you see tiny square icons in black and white for items, loot, hell any interaction.
Can't we have SOME amount of flourishes for things? Hey it's a biker game, so what about skulls, leather, tattoos, anything more than clinical icons that feel like it's still in alpha?

It's just so disappointing to see such a creatively bankrupt game design in general, because it feels like it could have been much more interesting with more focus and less "modern" additions that either don't work or make it worse. It just stinks like exec meddling and AAA "needs" getting in the way.
And it's such a fantastically optimized game too, what a waste...

Reactions: lashman and Cacher

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I feel like people don't realize just how popular of a game Stardew Valley really is.

I saw some one saying that COD isn't doing well on Steam because of MS. And how even Stardew Valley has a higher player count.

Not sure if the idea of a game like Animal Crossing making more money than God of War would compute with them.
I'm curious of the people that made this video play games themselves.

Since there is some information in the video that is weird. For some reason the use IGN as the for front of gaming. Which is insane seeing how a lot of People see IGN as the butt of video games, well one of many.

It was IGNs game of the year..... That doesn't mean much. I'm pretty sure more people get mad over a games MC score than they do about what ever IGN gives the game. If people do make fun of IGN it's because of a number of other things.

Also they called BG3.... A console game......

They mention the blockbusted PS game Spiderman series not having MTX and stuff like that.... Spiderman 2 has not broken even yet.

They have the head of Guerilla games talk about the rise of development cost. And it sound like he is talking about HZD2. Which I imagine was very expensive to make. I wonder if they will try ever try to go back and make smaller games that take less time to make. And do what the music industry does. Maybe only have 1-3 "big" games being developed at one time and try to make a bunch of smaller games and hope that one of them makes it big. Look at Hell Divers 2. They helped in some way with it and are making a lot of money off of it. Or actually how long did it take to make HD2 because if it took longer than 3-4 years, I take back what I said.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Regarding gaming fatigue. I think that i don't have it but i don't force myself to play game when i am not in the mood to play. If i am tired or if i simply don't fell like i want to play something i find something else to do. i kinda have nice amount of hobbies like 3D printing, woodworking, 3D modeling... And because i live in the house there is always something to do around house. I go to the gym, when weather gets warmer i go to the pool or i go running in the park. But i still use gaming as main way to relax and rest because i get transported to various other worlds and simply i don't need to think that much. And i need that because as an architect basically all my work is mental one and not physical. So yeah i still love to play games but i need to be in the mood for it to fully enjoy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.