Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
it's not odd, platform holders are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks, maybe big companies would have more contracting power and leverage but what do you think would happen to indiedev#134854/small company#1485 shitting on Sony/MS?
They're not even willing to let that pass, they just stand to lose more than they stand to gain, if they could they'd be banging on those doors as well

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think it actually says that, games are usually multi year developments.
As last year was kinda special due to corona, so it probably doesn't apply to other years. (potentially reduced costs last year, but much increased sales)
It says budget spent in 2020 and I am comparing it to that. It is a lot of money one way or another. But they are still spending sh*t ton of money on acquisitions and not making AAA games that bring significant money so they need to look how to earn every penny they can to support their business plan.

Oh well it's not like I or anyone can do anything about this these days when gaming is mainstream. Majority doesn't care so publishers can do whatever they want and get away with it.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
it's not odd, platform holders are going to come down on them like a ton of bricks, maybe big companies would have more contracting power and leverage but what do you would happen to indiedev#134854/small company#1485 shitting on Sony/MS?
They're not even willing to let that pass, they just stand to lose more than they stand to gain, if they could they'd be banging on those doors as well
Indeed. You can shit-talk Valve all you want because a) Valve is pretty hands off, it's not going to do anything about it and b) the platform is open, you are not dependent on the whims of one company. If you don't like the deal being offered you can go elsewhere or set up your own shop. That's great, that's how it should be but consoles are walled gardens and if you piss Sony off enough to get locked out of Playstation you kiss a big chunk of your revenue goodbye.

Anyway, this constant whining by publishers and developers is starting to annoy me. I am a customer, I want good games and good platforms to play them on, I don't know why I should care about which corporations make more billions than the others. Fuck off and stop trying to pull gamers into your billionaire slap fights.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Quoting myself for the new page:

Anyone?
Get the standard version, it's not a game for everyone, it's somewhat niche too. Get the DLC once you have finished the main game and wants more.

Premum Edition is mainly for people who really know they will like it.

Other than that I recommend you to pirate the game to check if you like it. Don't try the "first" games called Mudrunner and Spintires. They are basically just prototypes imo as Snowrunner basically feels like an actual game compared to those.

Last edited:

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I’m disturbed by the notion that one can kill a PC with an air spray :neutral-face:
One can. I don't think it's a very high risk, though.

In my case, I had a 40°C fever (104°F) when I decided I should do something, anything, useful with my day. I had never used a compressed air can before in my life. (And never did after)

If there is any morale to my anecdote, it's more a meditation on the wisdom of trusting one's decision-making while 2°C short of literal brain damage than an indictment of air cans. I'm quite sure I applied the nozzle directly within the CPU heatsink. I really wanted that thing clean, you see.

Later I bought an electric air blower and we lived happily ever after. Never cleaned a PC with it, though; I moved to a much less dusty house. After four years, if I get close, I am only starting to see a few dust particles on the back of the GPU.

The air blower sees good use in the house though, for those hard-to-reach corners...

(I've got this one: Amazon product )

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I cleaned my computer from dust one or two months ago. The temperature difference were huge after cleaning. From almost 100 celsius degrees to 60-70 celsius degrees. Last time I cleaned the computer were two or three years earlier

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I’m disturbed by the notion that one can kill a PC with an air spray :neutral-face:
I think it's the condensation from the cold air getting water into components and some people have blown components off their boards but that's super rare.
Blowing dust out is much safer than vacuum though due to static build up with vacuum cleaners and they can pull dust into fins etc.

Mainly, don't worry about it. If using canned air just use short blasts rather than long ones and you should be fine.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Get the standard version, it's not a game for everyone, it's somewhat niche too. Get the DLC once you have finished the main game and wants more.
I got the standard version from Fanatical. They had the best price among the key retailers that I usually go to. It's downloading as we speak. Hopefully, I'll have some time for it tonight! :coffee-blob:

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I think it's the condensation from the cold air getting water into components and some people have blown components off their boards but that's super rare.
Blowing dust out is much safer than vacuum though due to static build up with vacuum cleaners and they can pull dust into fins etc.

Mainly, don't worry about it. If using canned air just use short blasts rather than long ones and you should be fine.
I always thought that even if the spray is a little humid, leaving the PC alone for a few minutes before re-pluging, then a few minutes more before restart would be a solution. Can you really break something inside with a small dose of water from the spray if you let things dry up ?
On the other hand, those electric air cleaner would be economical if they last some years.

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Sooo, my new monitor arrived (ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q) and honestly after reading some more reviews on reddit (but they are like 1y old) it seemed to have some problems like greenish something when using DisplayPort, blurred text, etc and I was expecting to panic when it arrived but.... it seems all good?
I didn't (luckily?) noticed any of the issue mentioned by others, maybe it's because my previous monitor was an Asus too so stuff may be more noticeable when changing brand?

Only thing I have to get accustomed to are the darker colours, previously I had a TN panel and the black wasn't really black, more like greyish, now the blacks are BLACK (and so the other colours are darker).

For now satisfied, even if I'm waiting to see something go wrong lol

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
OH ! If we are talking monitor, my relatively brand new one is making me shit bricks these days. I still think it's a software issue but jeez.
Basically, each time I open an openoffice document, and rarely when doing other things like that, my monitor goes black for 1/2 second, like when you change resolution.

What. The. Fuck ? :anguished-face:

Reactions: prudis

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Anyway, this constant whining by publishers and developers is starting to annoy me. I am a customer, I want good games and good platforms to play them on, I don't know why I should care about which corporations make more billions than the others. Fuck off and stop trying to pull gamers into your billionaire slap fights.
This. It's pissing me off to the point that I now avoid their games.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I cleaned my computer from dust one or two months ago. The temperature difference were huge after cleaning. From almost 100 celsius degrees to 60-70 celsius degrees. Last time I cleaned the computer were two or three years earlier
Yeah, it actually matters.

I'm too lazy to clean my PC on a schedule though. My cue is usually when the PC starting to give me bsod or lock up. Then it's time to clean it.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Never change a running system!!!!

My web/video PC from 6 or 7 years ago which still runs Windows 7 still runs fine (except for a strange bug where the explorer is hellish sluggish and files/pictures/videos open only after a certain time ranging from 10 to 100 seconds, regardless if they are on the HDD, SSD or external drive.)
The funny thing is: when I upgrade my gaming PC in a year or two (which is 1,5 years old), I will probably still hold on to the Windows 7 PC, because it runs silent. My current gaming PC has sudden heat spikes even in Desktop mode where the fans are going crazy.

• Toucan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's so odd most are willing to give pass for consoles, even though it doesn't make any sense. (And things like letting Sony&MS charge for access to your servers)
Don't you mean charge you to access Sony and MS servers?

Or what are they charging you for?

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Sooo, my new monitor arrived (ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q) and honestly after reading some more reviews on reddit (but they are like 1y old) it seemed to have some problems like greenish something when using DisplayPort, blurred text, etc and I was expecting to panic when it arrived but.... it seems all good?
I didn't (luckily?) noticed any of the issue mentioned by others, maybe it's because my previous monitor was an Asus too so stuff may be more noticeable when changing brand?

Only thing I have to get accustomed to are the darker colours, previously I had a TN panel and the black wasn't really black, more like greyish, now the blacks are BLACK (and so the other colours are darker).

For now satisfied, even if I'm waiting to see something go wrong lol
You can still tweak your color profile with both windows and your graphics card control panel I believe. No screen is perfect out of the box.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
So I figured I'd actually play some Monster Hunter: World with the new PC instead of just running around in Astera and marveling that I can play it with a constant 60+ fps at High. (I played it at 1080p @30fps with Mid-High settings back when it came out).
Figured I'd get back into the groove by doing some missions to collect the tickets for the Spring Festical armor which is ending today, so I did that.
Suddenly it was 2 hours later :grimacing-face:
Then I said what the heck, let's just give the one "main quest" I was at a try before calling it quits for now: Tempered Kiring.
Did it first try :dmcblob: (Wasn't my actual first time fighting it, I died a couple of times way back when the game came out, but still!)
Which means I'm at HR 51 now and have unlocked Arch Tempered monsters. Going to give those a try later today, but I expect I'll die horribly :whistle:

Desire to grab Iceborne intensifies. But I'll probably wait until summer seal, still have a couple other games in the pipeline that I wanna play first, like the new Subnautica.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I guess more Epic Store exclusives fromn THQ are coming

So they will leave Steam, GOG, PS, Xbox, and Nintendo and only release on PC Windows Store, Epic Store and Itch.io then?

Otherwise if they make their own storefront I expect an eventual return to Steam anyways. When EGS doesn't seem to have made much of a dent on Steam, it would be funny to expect they will be able to do it themselves.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I think it's the condensation from the cold air getting water into components
Possibly.

I would imagine the drastic, near instant temperature change (if you just blast the thing at close range, like I did) is more than capable of cracking the most delicate solders and components.

...Though RAM at least in not sensitive to that, since freezing RAM bars to slow data decay (for forensics purposes) is a thing. :detectiveblob:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I guess more Epic Store exclusives fromn THQ are coming

Let's hope the strategy "I want more imaginary money" will work out. I seriously doubt it will.
Maybe if they leave Steam and consoles (lol, yeah right),they'll realise the difference between "money I would like to have had" and "actual money you can earn in the real world".

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Desire to grab Iceborne intensifies. But I'll probably wait until summer seal, still have a couple other games in the pipeline that I wanna play first, like the new Subnautica.
It looks like it must be summer seal already cause I just bought Iceborne :thinking-blob:

Status
Not open for further replies.