Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
What kind of specs can it have with $399 if the GPD Win 3 costs double+ that and the one x player in the linus video is similar? Whole library might be a stretch.

Reactions: lashman

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
399$ would be amazing but availability will be a mess. I expect it to always be sold out and backordered for like 12 weeks :negative-blob:
Yeah if they could make a decent little switch like machine for around $400 it would sell out fast. I imagine they would sell close to at cost (perhaps a little below ro make up for R&D and warranty claims) and just make money from it off Steam.

Reactions: Tomasety

CommodoreKong

Jun 15, 2019
What kind of specs can it have with $399 if the GPD Win 3 costs double+ that and the one x player in the linus video is similar? Whole library might be a stretch.
It probably wont be as high end as a $1500 machine but if Valve is willing to buy millions of chips and parts for these (which they could afford to do) they would. be able to get the parts cheaper than a company like GPD ever could.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If its something very new from AMD and Valve does custom work with them...I can see anywhere between Switch/Pro and Xbox one power levels.

So AAA games running at 720p or 900p while indie stuff would be 1080p.

I bet AMD is excited to compete with Nvidia/Switch too. They probably been doing some good cooking and Valve is perfect partner for this since Sony stopped making handhelds.

I'm getting legit hyped for this. Just pls Gabe don't let this be too expensive.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
If its something very new from AMD and Valve does custom work with them...I can see anywhere between Switch/Pro and Xbox one power levels.

So AAA games running at 720p or 900p while indie stuff would be 1080p.

I bet AMD is excited to compete with Nvidia/Switch too. They probably been doing some good cooking and Valve is perfect partner for this since Sony stopped making handhelds.

I'm getting legit hyped for this. Just pls Gabe don't let this be too expensive.
Switch getting butchered/altered versions of games like Witcher and Doom Eternal doesn't mean it would be considered playable for a PC of similar low specs to run the PC version. Even the machines that cost double that mentioned don't quite cut it in many games, even if they run Rocket League well enough. There are thermals etc. to consider for a portable too, so that performance wouldn't be on par with recent latest-CPU-with-iGPU running Days Gone @ 720p/low tests. More choice for AIO/portable/tablet PCs is always good but maybe don't expect Valve to somehow make magic all other tech giants can't and make it cheap. And once again, this is a PC, not a Switch Pro or a Vita 2 equivalent, not an AMD based portable console with all that entails, from all we've read so far at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Valve has a lot of money. It could easily subsidize the hardware if the goal is to expand the Steam ecosystem.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
origin and general EA services seem to be broken almost completely today (also yesterday).
downloads fail, lots of error messages, help forums barely work. very frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Valve has a lot of money. It could easily subsidize the hardware if the goal is to expand the Steam ecosystem.
Okay, so once again that $400 how much better can it get than the $800 machines out at this point/coming/kickstarted? Half price and double power doesn't seem likely. Half price and similar power subsidized? Maybe. As for if this will expand the ecosystem or not, who knows. It could be existing PC gamers getting it as their portable machine, so not really buying any more PC/Steam games. It'll definitely be pretty hard to quantify growth, especially with PC gaming doing pretty great already. Valve hasn't exactly put out cheap hardware so far. I dunno if Index makes a profit, but it's a premium price regardless. Steam controller wasn't cheap either and I don't recall Steam machines having any particularly great pricing for their specs, to think that Valve does wish to pre-buy all kinds of chipset stock to ensure lower pricing rather than just go by the demand organically. And if the goal is really to attract users they don't already have, well, I guess we'll see how they market it, where they even sell it and how it actually is, I don't see them easily getting people who didn't care for PC gaming onboard with something like a Valve branded GPD SteamOS. Not to mention it's obviously a current trend for many such devices to pop up lately and it will only ramp up. Every buyer of those will most definitely be using Steam too, further reducing the impact an actual Valve machine like that may have, like, those people without the Valve one might have just gotten a GPD or other brand coming up with similar, whichever one first strikes their fancy enough by its specs/looks. Maybe they think such an effort will somehow accelerate growth/presence in that portable PC field in general, rather than just simply only sell their own thing? We'll see.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Oh, god. I've just realised that until there's an announcement we're going to suffer fantasy speculation regarding performance in a handheld format that defy current reality and thermal/monetary budgets.

Valve would be taking a whole new direction if they made a subsidised console. Their hardware has always been expensive and aimed at showing it's possible. It's always left gaps in the market for others to step in to and i don't see that changing. If Neptune is a small form factor powerhouse then it's going to be expensive. Valve may eat some cost but it's not going to be giving these things away unless they're having a clearout like the Steam Controllers.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Switch getting butchered/altered versions of games like Witcher and Doom Eternal doesn't mean it would be considered playable for a PC of similar low specs to run the PC version. Even the machines that cost double that mentioned don't quite cut it in many games, even if they run Rocket League well enough. There are thermals etc. to consider for a portable too, so that performance wouldn't be on par with recent latest-CPU-with-iGPU running Days Gone @ 720p/low tests. More choice for AIO/portable/tablet PCs is always good but maybe don't expect Valve to somehow make magic all other tech giants can't and make it cheap...
Switch is 4 years old at this point. And still very impressive that it can run a game like Witcher 3.

SteamPal would be more competition with Switch Pro anyways. Should be like 50-100% more powerful than Switch imo.

Valve is also more likely to do a premium device so I don't expect it to be 400$. I am still expecting 500-600$. Switch Pro will be the 400$ device especially with DLSS.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Okay, so once again that $400 how much better can it get than the $800 machines out at this point/coming/kickstarted? Half price and double power doesn't seem likely. Half price and similar power subsidized? Maybe. As for if this will expand the ecosystem or not, who knows. It could be existing PC gamers getting it as their portable machine, so not really buying any more PC/Steam games. It'll definitely be pretty hard to quantify growth, especially with PC gaming doing pretty great already. Valve hasn't exactly put out cheap hardware so far. I dunno if Index makes a profit, but it's a premium price regardless. Steam controller wasn't cheap either and I don't recall Steam machines having any particularly great pricing for their specs, to think that Valve does wish to pre-buy all kinds of chipset stock to ensure lower pricing rather than just go by the demand organically. And if the goal is really to attract users they don't already have, well, I guess we'll see how they market it, where they even sell it and how it actually is, I don't see them easily getting people who didn't care for PC gaming onboard with something like a Valve branded GPD SteamOS. Not to mention it's obviously a current trend for many such devices to pop up lately and it will only ramp up. Every buyer of those will most definitely be using Steam too, further reducing the impact an actual Valve machine like that may have, like, those people without the Valve one might have just gotten a GPD or other brand coming up with similar, whichever one first strikes their fancy enough by its specs/looks. We'll see.
We'll see indeed. I think you are underestimating the potential reach of such a device, it would be a great entry point to the Steam ecosystem.

CommodoreKong

Jun 15, 2019
details are accurate, posted 12 days ago. think it's fair to consider that to be someone with at least some knowledge of the project.
It's certainly possible but you totally got to take it with a grain of salt compared to something from Arstechnica.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
details are accurate, posted 12 days ago. think it's fair to consider that to be someone with at least some knowledge of the project.
Which details are accurate, and based on what corroborating information?
As far as I can tell there's exactly one claim in there that we can actually check, and that's the code name. The reddit post claims "Jupiter", the strings say "Neptune".

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Jupiter and Neptune could just be different models of SteamPal.

Jupiter = 250 gig--7-8 inch screen
Neptune = 50 gig--5-6 inch screen

or something like that lol.

This could be one way Valve actually sells a cheaper 300-400$ version.

Its gonna be interesting to see what Valve does with storage space. They know a lot of PC games nowadays are 50+ gigs so whatever they charge will be entry price.

Last edited:

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
The Biomutant on EA desktop thing didn't end up working in the end lol. It says I can install the game but as it begins to install it it comes up with an error message which cancels the download.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The only way that device costs only $399 is if it's just a dumb terminal for SteamLink streaming.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I’m curious if this is just one prong in a wider strategy, given the claims on Era of a console, plus the advent of streaming.

Steam Cloud Play is fairly new after all and perhaps could be a part of how this handheld aims to play “whole libraries”

Reactions: ExistentialThought

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
As far as I can tell there's exactly one claim in there that we can actually check, and that's the code name. The reddit post claims "Jupiter", the strings say "Neptune".
Aerith for the APU has been corroborated by others, including Tyler McV - others are now pointing towards Aerith being AMD's Van Gogh. Nothing is official until Valve announces it of course and you can treat it all as speculation if you want but the accuracy of this post means I personally think this person knows more than a lot of other people.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
After having argued against people who take claims in videos about SC at face value and don't get my irritation at how the validity of the claims is never examined, you have no idea how refreshing reading your post is.

Facts matter.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, i've heard people are having fun with Knockout City, it's good to see one new multiplayer attempt show promise after all the recent disappointments. Especially when it didn't look all that great to me, there again i'm not the audience for it so that's not surprising, lol.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The reddit post was 12 days ago and the timing is just too good to be honest. Plus Neptune and Jupiter makes me go. :thinking-blob:

Wild speculation is half the fun, and we don't really have much in the way of facts anyway so if we stick to those, there isn't much to talk about.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.