Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I have some hope that Valve will make the SteamBoy reasonable in price, because they do realise people aren't really swimming in money right now and money would be better spent on buying games on Steam.

Then again there are enough whales on steam that no matter the price it will be sold out for some time.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Thank you for this very interesting reply to my post ! I'm really torn between admiration, love and hate about Wasteland 2. It's just this close to being a GOAT.

I would have been perfectly content with a 40 hour CRPG that only takes place in Arizona. It's when I finally internalized that California was maybe as long and far harder that I began to be fed up with the game.
There are real issues of teaching the mechanics, and of UI too, intermingled with the difficulty going crazy. I finally looked over the Internet and among the myriad of unhelpful takes, the solution to my ambush issue was given clear as day. Ambushers use energy weapons, don't use metal armors because you will get more damages. It's not illogical and you could wonder why I had to bang my head against this wall for hours and look on the Internet to get it. But the issue is, they indeed explain this mechanic, at the very start of the game. Excuse me dev if I'm not used to it when it finally becomes important when I'm 95 hours in ! And let's not delve too long on the fact that despite being a major mechanic, nothing in the armor description seems to indicate if they are or not made of metal :so-good-blob:

As far as my build and team go, I'm just terrified about having messed up now. The Scorpitron fights look crazy and my damage output is globally pathetic. I have a shotgun (ridiculous), a pistol (rofl), an assault weapon (just meh, a little better now that I began to use alt fire), two melee (respectable but situational) and two snipers (great, they get the work done). I tried energy weapons, on synth even, but the damage output wasn't even as good as my snipers.
I keep in mind that I have several missile launchers available in stores for when shit will really hit the fan, but they are in limited supply.

At the same time, it's a fantastic emulation of pen & paper RPG with skill checks galore. It's a wonderful CRPG, but again, 95 hours in, I am a little fed up with being rolled over every encounters.

The joke is I resumed my playthrough because several posts tempted me to finally try Pathfinder. Given its reputation for being super hard and just never ending, I think I'm in trouble.
Yeah, some weapons like shotguns are only useful for specific strategies, like breaking cover, and you need other weapon types to actually get damage. Energy weapons usually are very good against synth, especially for breaking armour (if I don't confuse this with Wasteland 3 now). Melee is always a bit dangerous in this game, since the harder enemies later in the game are pretty resistant against it, but it can be incredibly effective against certain enemies.

As I said, the game is not balanced and I can understand how super frustrating this can be. I think looking at a guide to get a decent build is always a good idea for these types of games. Most devs simply don't care about balance, like say Obsidian does.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Regardless of what Valve does, portable (or small AIO, PC on a stick, etc.) light gaming PCs are (gonna be) a thing from all kinds of companies, the chipsets and APUs aren't developed for one thing. So you'll be able to get whatever has a good performance/price ratio according to your needs. Or build a better desktop. Stick Steam on it (OS or just the app) and there's no reason to care for a Valve logo. Get a fancy sticker and put it on your GPD Linux 4 or whatever, it's all good. Maybe they'll be the first out the door with some brand new mobile APU geared to that sort of device but soon enough they won't be the only one with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If it is 399$ I expect Valve to have a real big marketing blitz for the device.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do some press conference or something like that.

Because for 399$ they could sell millions of units in first year.

The selling point they can make is very easy too. A device that can access/play more than 20 or 30k steam games. And lets you utilize your steam library that you already invested thousands of dollars in. Its could be a legit competitor with the Switch because the 3rd party support on the device is astronomically ahead of what Nintendo offers.

Its gonna be hard to fuck up the marketing for it imo. The only thing they need to avoid is calling it a portable PC. Its not that at all...it will be a gaming device first and foremost. That is what they need to focus on. Callilng it anything else will just confuse people and present a bunch of stupid questions.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The only thing they need to avoid is calling it a portable PC. Its not that at all.
Price speculation aside, it is. It would be disingenuous to call it anything else like a console. Switch will be unphased and has nothing to do with any of it. Noone in their right mind will make "Switch killer" their success benchmark, especially when they're selling just another portable/stick/aio/tablet form factor PC, as if a single model from a single manufacturer can source all chips and eclipse the market. Putting Switch anywhere in the discussion is only casual media clickbait. You can already access thousands upon thousands of games on any number of cheap PCs and no single one is considered a console x killer. Of course PC gaming as a whole including desktops, laptops, portables and any number of other forms does easily stack up against all consoles put together. Another model from Valve doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, maybe it will accelerate even more such models appearing but they would anyway. And they don't even have the brand loyalty, support track record, infrastructure, as far as hardware goes for the market to care more than the likes of Dell even.

Last edited:

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
If they make NepJupiter reasonable in price it's going to be reasonable in performance too. I hope no-one is expecting top-of-the-line components and performance in a rumoured/estimated $400 PC especially in a small form factor where cooling is required too.

If it's fast, it's going to be expensive. If it's fast, it's going to be hot too. If it's small and fast it's going to be hotter.
Seriously, people need to temper their expectations and i really don't see Valve making a 50% subsidy of a new device.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Erica is out. I did not expect it to be this cheap and to have good reviews.

So, not to be a negative nancy here, but what's so original about this game? FMVs with branching narratives have been around since the 90s. I like a well made FMV, so I'm not saying these games shouldn't exist if they aren't pushing any boundaries, but from I played so far (which is just Contradiction) and seen so far (a few games like Death Come True, and even this) most of the "innovation" is just improved presentation, where options are presented more immersively, or letting the player manipulate objects (which you could do even in games like Tex Murphy back in the 90s, just not as pretty). And having nicer interfaces and presentation of options is great, but hardly something that truly pushes any genre forward.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Stick Steam on it (OS or just the app) and there's no reason to care for a Valve logo. Get a fancy sticker and put it on your GPD Linux 4 or whatever, it's all good.
I feel like you might be missing the point of an official Valve device because you are not the target audience. If you are already invested in PC gaming and Steam, you are happy with your current setup and you don't want another device then you are Valve's customer anyway. The point of SteamPal is to bring in new customers to Steam or increase spending of existing customers by providing another option. So it's perfectly fine if you don't care about this device or a potential GabeCube down the line.

I have been saying for years that PC gaming's only remaining weakness is the lack of a beginner-friendly entry point to the platform. Valve is in the ideal position to launch such a device and expand PC gaming to new audiences. You are looking at things only from your particular perspective as a seasoned PC gamer and that's why you don't see the value of a Valve device. It is much, much more than a logo.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I feel like you might be missing the point of an official Valve device because you are not the target audience. If you are already invested in PC gaming and Steam, you are happy with your current setup and you don't want another device then you are Valve's customer anyway. The point of SteamPal is to bring in new customers to Steam or increase spending of existing customers by providing another option. So it's perfectly fine if you don't care about this device or a potential GabeCube down the line.

I have been saying for years that PC gaming's only remaining weakness is the lack of a beginner-friendly entry point to the platform. Valve is in the ideal position to launch such a device and expand PC gaming to new audiences. You are looking at things only from your particular perspective as a seasoned PC gamer and that's why you don't see the value of a Valve device. It is much, much more than a logo.
If one is not invested in PC gaming a Valve sticker on a next gen GPD (not)Win does nothing, there are far more known hw brands out there to make eyebrows raise if they announce a cool device. Steam is the beginner friendly platform and it's been on PC for 17+ years. A logo of it on an x form PC does nothing, as it didn't for Steam machines some tried to call consoles. No matter how many sites call it a Switch killer and try to make it appear like a console (then have the few falling for it froth when it turns out to be a PC and they have to tinker with settings and rely on spec sheets to gauge if a game will run or not and have the next big unoptimized and demanding AAA release in the next two years require all settings turned down for a passable experience, etc.). And yes Steam/OS improving in user friendliness for all PCs as it sorely needs if it hopes to take in console users in addition is the more important factor than any one brand's hw. If Microsoft tomorrow announces a passably affordable tablet similar to their Surface stuff but built for gaming instead with xinput controls etc., as they also obviously constantly strive (or fail) to make Windows itself the most user friendly OS and what not, it's not gonna suddenly be OMG CONSOELS R DED.

Last edited:

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

Personally, if the rumors are true that it's in fact a fucking beast for 400 dollars that can run most steam games with a custom APU from AMD, etc., then I would totally buy it just for that luxuary of handheld Steam games, and I've got a pretty nice setup. Valve has for a long time dominated in the PC gaming audience, both for general players with the Steam client, and for more advanced (in other words, rich) users with their Index. I completely agree with what you say; if this beast is in fact true, then that would attract beginners (and more (you know ya boy is going to buy this 3 times)) and completely take away one big factor of the PC gaming stuff.

tldr, i want this fucking beast and i want it asap

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Mivey It's an original story is how i read the description. As in it's not based on folk-lore or an older game. FMV games will always be limited by the framework of the FMV genre. There's no real boundaries to push aside from making things more seamless with editing/compositing/loading speeds etc and maybe having more branches and choices.

You control movie sequences through your decisions, that's what i expect from an FMV game.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Price speculation aside, it is. It would be disingenuous to call it anything else like a console. Switch will be unphased and has nothing to do with any of it. Noone in their right mind will make "Switch killer" their success benchmark, especially when they're selling just another portable/stick/aio/tablet form factor PC, as if a single model from a single manufacturer can source all chips and eclipse the market. Putting Switch anywhere in the discussion is only casual media clickbait. You can already access thousands upon thousands of games on any number of cheap PCs and no single one is considered a console x killer. Of course PC gaming as a whole including desktops, laptops, portables and any number of other forms does easily stack up against all consoles put together. Another model from Valve doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, maybe it will accelerate even more models appearing.
The selling point should be Steam and thousands of games. That is what will put asses in seats and move units.

Even if its running Windows I would avoid calling it a portable pc.

If its running SteamOS (and it probably will) I would definitely avoid it.

Its a gaming device and that is what they should roll with. Its easy marketing. If people want to do other thing with it like emulation, netflix etc then let them.

As for the Switch...SteamPal would be able to do things that the Switch can't. And have access to games that Switch never had and will never get so if this device sells hot it will absolutely be a competitor. The biggest weakness for Nintendo devices has always been 3rd party support. SteamPal would be a good alternative. Valve also wouldn't be under pressure to sell 50-100 million units of this thing like Nintendo is. Especially after the flop the WiiU was.

For Valve its about making Steam grow. They can afford to go really crazy with this because if it fails badly they still have Steam/PC gaming with hundreds of MAUs.

Reactions: Alexandros

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
The selling point should be Steam and thousands of games. That is what will put asses in seats and move units.

Even if its running Windows I would avoid calling it a portable pc.

If its running SteamOS (and it probably will) I would definitely avoid it.

Its a gaming device and that is what they should roll with. Its easy marketing. If people want to do other thing with it like emulation, netflix etc then let them.

As for the Switch...SteamPal would be able to do things that the Switch can't. And have access to games that Switch never had and will never get so if this device sells hot it will absolutely be a competitor. The biggest weakness for Nintendo devices has always been 3rd party support. SteamPal would be a good alternative. Valve also wouldn't be under pressure to sell 50-100 million units of this thing like Nintendo is. Especially after the flop the WiiU was.

For Valve its about making Steam grow. They can afford to go really crazy with this because if it fails badly they still have Steam/PC gaming with hundreds of MAUs.
wait wait wait, what's so bad about SteamOS again

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I'd say for Valve it's about removing any reliance on Microsoft and their eventual deprecation of x86 in the Windows ecosystem and why SteamOS would be a good thing.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
All PCs have that no matter their form factor and price tier.

You also haven't cared for brands making small form PCs, from usb stick home theaters to tablets to whatever, that can run thousands of the low end stuff.

You waited for Valve to maybe make a portable to get so hyped for it. As if AMD make those small chipsets just on the off chance Valve decides to do this.

So why would many care for something like that with a Valve sticker? Valve has zero mindshare for hardware, their software share hasn't convinced them.

Yeah it makes for nice clickbait on gaming media to call a PC a console just because of form factor but it doesn't mean much for Steam machines sales.
SteamOS isn't trashed there, he wouldn't avoid the SteamOS machine, he would avoid calling it a PC so that it sells by being falsely called a console.

Last edited:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
If one is not invested in PC gaming a Valve sticker on a next gen GPD (not)Win does nothing, there are far more known hw brands out there to make eyebrows raise if they announce a cool device. Steam is the beginner friendly platform and it's been on PC for 17+ years. A logo of it on an x form PC does nothing, as it didn't for Steam machines some tried to call consoles. No matter how many sites call it a Switch killer and try to make it appear like a console (then have the few falling for it froth when it turns out to be a PC and they have to tinker with settings and rely on spec sheets to gauge if a game will run or not and have the next big unoptimized and demanding AAA release in the next two years require all settings turned down for a passable experience, etc.). And yes Steam/OS improving in user friendliness for all PCs as it sorely needs if it hopes to take in console users in addition is the more important factor than any one brand's hw. If Microsoft tomorrow announces a passably affordable tablet similar to their Surface stuff but built for gaming instead with xinput controls etc., as they also obviously constantly strive (or fail) to make Windows itself the most user friendly OS and what not, it's not gonna suddenly be OMG CONSOELS R DED.
You still don't get it. It's not about the sticker. It's about Valve being in the unique position to be able to make such a device at a mass-market price and with mass-market ease of use.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
You still don't get it. It's not about the sticker. It's about Valve being in the unique position to be able to make such a device at a mass-market price and with mass-market ease of use.
That's a lot of assumptions there though. Is Windows not easy to use? Pretty much everyone uses it in some capacity. Steam itself is not so user friendly to game with for some that do use Windows already. So again it seems more important to make Steam better in general and for all PCs than expect a new hardware to somehow make it easy. I still don't see evidence of Valve doing anything special with the hardware like they're turning to being a first party like Sony and work for magic custom chipsets rather than buy any off the shelf APU AMD is already making and is already making its way on any number of small form factor PC products, now including Valve's. Or that they are indeed in a position to do what you claim, which even if they are, assuming they have all the money in the world and don't care how they spend it, it doesn't mean that's what is happening at this point, especially when their last relevant effort was to simply work with manufacturers for Steam logo/OS on existing "console case size/form" PCs. Even if the design is theirs, it doesn't mean it goes far beyond that.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Nothing. I would just avoid calling it a portable pc because it would create a lot of confusion, questions and all of it would hurt sales imo. I would market it as gaming device. Basically avoid all the stuff that happened with steam machines.

So why would many care for something like that with a Valve sticker? Valve has zero mindshare for hardware and their software share hasn't convinced them.
Because Valve has Steam? Millions and millions of eyeballs browse the steam store everyday. Steam is the product and that is where they will make money off this thing.

PC gaming wouldn't be as big as it today if people didn't care for Valve. The other products/brands don't have the gaming reach Valve has.

They also sold a ton of VR headsets so I wouldn't say they have zero mindshare. The mindshare right now is just a premium/niche one. A 399$ SteamPal could easily change that.

Besides SteamPal can sell 5-10 million units and would be a massive success imo. Their first attempt at a handheld. There is not a lot of risk for Valve in doing this. Its probably why they are doing it.

Reactions: sk2k and lashman

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
So Steam software mindshare convinces folks, but it hasn't convinced em, so Steam hardware will convince folks, because it has Steam software like all PCs :unsure:

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
That's a lot of assumptions there though. Is Windows not easy to use? Pretty much everyone uses it in some capacity. Steam itself is not so user friendly to game with for some that do use Windows already. So again it seems more important to make Steam better in general and for all PCs than expect a new hardware to somehow make it easy. I still don't see evidence of Valve doing anything special with the hardware like they're turning to being a first party like Sony and work for magic custom chipsets rather than buy any off the shelf APU AMD is already making and is already making its way on any number of small form factor PC products, now including Valve's. Or that they are indeed in a position to do what you claim, which even if they are, assuming they have all the money in the world and don't care how they spend it, it doesn't mean that's what is happening at this point, especially when their last relevant effort was to simply work with manufacturers for Steam logo/OS on existing "console case size/form" PCs. Even if the design is theirs, it doesn't mean it goes far beyond that.
No, Windows is not user friendly enough for the portable gaming market. SteamOS, even in its original incarnation that I tested, was way better in every way.

Reactions: Prodigy and xinek
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So Steam software mindshare convinces folks, but it hasn't convinced em, so Steam hardware will convince folks, because it has Steam software like all PCs :unsure:
it will if they update BPM :p

and since it's volvo - i imagine they'll also let anyone release their own "steamboy"-branded machine as well

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

I enjoyed GTA3 a lot but loved Vice City like few other games.
Skipped San Andreas and 4 kinda weirded me out. The physics and "realism" were rough at first.
But it grew on me after a while, and I replayed it even a couple of times.
Definitely the most unique GTA.

Reactions: MegaApple

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
and since it's volvo - i imagine they'll also let anyone release their own "steamboy"-branded machine as well
Which is why Valve won't launch a super-competitive machine. They'd launch a flagship device. If Valve launch a cheap machine where would the market be for the established OEMs and Vendors? Where would the long-term profitablility lie?

Valve will do what they always do, launch a flagship device and then after a year or so a Valve branded machine will be difficult to buy. They will hope that they will start a market other companies will then move into.

I'm still waiting for the ability to buy some Index Lighthouses and i've pretty much given up hope at this moment in time.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
Nothing. I would just avoid calling it a portable pc because it would create a lot of confusion, questions and all of it would hurt sales imo. I would market it as gaming device. Basically avoid all the stuff that happened with steam machines.

Because Valve has Steam? Millions and millions of eyeballs browse the steam store everyday. Steam is the product and that is where they will make money off this thing.

PC gaming wouldn't be as big as it today if people didn't care for Valve. The other products/brands don't have the gaming reach Valve has.

They also sold a ton of VR headsets so I wouldn't say they have zero mindshare. The mindshare right now is just a premium/niche one. A 399$ SteamPal could easily change that.

Besides SteamPal can sell 5-10 million units and would be a massive success imo. Their first attempt at a handheld. There is not a lot of risk for Valve in doing this. Its probably why they are doing it.
the big question is essentially just HOW they will do it

according to the rumors saying that it will be 399$, it also says it will be able to play all steam games in someone's library, which while it is a godsent,

how will they be able to make a handheld console that can run most of the steam games (a number of which are heavily demanding) for a mere 400 dollars?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
For fans of

INTO THE BREACH

consider getting Storm ground

It looks ok but I take issue with the UI and the instant readability of what's happening in the battlefield. Part of what makes ItB or StS so amazing is the sheer amount of info you get at a single glance and how neatly everything is organized and available to you.

Reactions: Tizoc

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'd say for Valve it's about removing any reliance on Microsoft and their eventual deprecation of x86 in the Windows ecosystem and why SteamOS would be a good thing.
Everything is nice and I agree with you but... explain Steam Machines, or whatev they called them, very poor handling, to say the least ?
That's a rhetorical question, I get that Valve do things their way, that they didn't want to risk big and so just partnered with third parties.
Then came Index, and, they don't look to be subdividing that thing.

So my point, and believe me I want to be wrong, what's stopping Valve from doing a Steam Machine sequel ? Maybe not with third parties but with a very high price of entry and the minimum in PR ?
In a way that makes sense, even with a company like Steam, launching hardware is a huge risk, but I fear that if you half-ass it you just end up with clearances two years down the line.

On the other hands, it entirely depends on what they expect to get from such a project.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
the big question is essentially just HOW they will do it

according to the rumors saying that it will be 399$, it also says it will be able to play all steam games in someone's library, which while it is a godsent,

how will they be able to make a handheld console that can run most of the steam games (a number of which are heavily demanding) for a mere 400 dollars?
Some games will run like shit on the device but it should be a given. People shouldn't expect to run Half-Life Alyx on the thing or super demanding games at 60fps. People won't treat it as their DOTA2 device either. I think Steam user reviews will also play a huge say in everything. If SteamPal sticks to just one hardware config then it will be very easy for the community to know what games are perfect for it.

My guess is Valve creates some "Strongly Recommended" section for SteamPal owners on the Steam store. They have the discovery tools and algorithms in place to create a good experience for SteamPal users. Unlike 6 or 7 years ago...today it should be more than doable with how big Steam is and how many games there are. The big hurdle they might face is how many buttons the device has and/or if they push steam controller like interface for everything. A few small things can be the difference in this device being able to play M/KB games or not. So it will be interesting to see what SteamPal looks like.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Mivey It's an original story is how i read the description. As in it's not based on folk-lore or an older game. FMV games will always be limited by the framework of the FMV genre. There's no real boundaries to push aside from making things more seamless with editing/compositing/loading speeds etc and maybe having more branches and choices.

You control movie sequences through your decisions, that's what i expect from an FMV game.
True, could just refer to the story being new and original.

As for new things in the genre, I could imagine the use of something like full panorama cameras and VR to make for far more immersive FMV games. Just of the top of my head. I'm sure there's ways you could push the genre, if you want to. There's also a good argument that innovation for innovation sake is pointless, but I get the impression in gaming that too much actual innovation is not really a problem anyone has.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Incoming off-topic.

Showed The Dark Knight to my English students that I teach partime and they loved it which is great because it's one of my goat films.

I still can't really fanthom how good Heath is at being the Joker in the film. I've seen Heath in a few other films before I watched TDK, Brokeback, 10 things, A Knights Tale and he is unrecognizable as the Joker, even in the shot without him wearing his clown make-up.

He is so damn good and actually brings some interesting quotes in the movie that Im often hoping the Joker wins overall in the movie purely based on Heath's magnificent performance. I even remember Joaquin Phoenix stating in a Joker award speech that Heath was his favorite actor and he is sitting on Heath's shoulders.

This avatar was also my avatar on different discussion boards, Steam, FB, Gmail, Hotmail (when I had it) and Origin for many years:

Miss you, Heath.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I'm not into portables myself, but the idea of having access to almost 2K games on the go without having to spend a penny beyond the hardware itself sounds absolutely insane.
yup, that's the biggest draw, i imagine

Status
Not open for further replies.