Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I agree. My point was that McMillen realized that he could have asked for more between the SMB freebie and the TEiN freebie.

Actually, all of the devs who sold their game, which then resulted in a UAC of less than $1 were the most scammed. For instance, RiME and World of Goo.

I don't think McMillen had anything to do with SMB getting the deal since h hasn't been part of Team Meat for while now.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Right. He left in 2017.

Daily Active Users:

Guess when the EGS started giving a game per week instead of a game every two weeks.
Maybe instead of throwing out millions for free games, they could have hired an actual team to develop their store and add things that users actually want, like forums, reviews, a better client, and just actually try to compete with Steam?

But I guess I'm just being an armchair analystst. Clearly Tim Epic, who is a knowledgable industry expert, believes that if you just keep beating a dead horse for long enough, it will suddenly come back from the dead and win the race.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
So Division 2 sold 120k on EGS and Anoo 1800 sold 32k on EGS according to Madjoki on ERA.

lolz, 32k for Anno, jfc
Anno 1800 only with pre-orders as it was delisted the day it was coming out (Ignore SteamSpy, is broken as hell)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So Division 2 sold 120k on EGS and Anoo 1800 sold 32k on EGS according to Madjoki on ERA.

lolz, 32k for Anno, jfc
LOL Anoo 1800 sold more on Steam before it got pulled.

Are there any leaks of how much Epic paid Ubisoft?

• This!

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Jesus Christ, Sweeney is so boring to listen too, Apple's lawer doing a great job tho'.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Yeah yeah, good guy Epic's been paying indies pennies to give away their games for free to try to buoy their disaster of a store. Blah blah whatever. Time for REAL SHIT. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Touhou 18 baybee! It feels kind of strange to see the latest 2hu release on Steam day 1, but I won't complain. I just got a new arcade stick for shmuppin' too. :coffee-blob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
But rami this is all for the good of PC gaming, like you they wanted to halp poor EGS overtake the monopolistic exploitation of Steam, it's not just about moneys!

Plus, there are so many more indie games out there, if one doesn't accept, another will, you know? So why not take your pennies and be happy? Capitalism, ho!

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But rami this is all for the good of PC gaming, like you they wanted to halp poor EGS overtake the monopolistic exploitation of Steam, it's not just about moneys!

Plus, there are so many more indie games out there, if one doesn't accept, another will, you know? So why not take your pennies and be happy? Capitalism, ho!
They were canaries in the coalmine!

• Sad

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I like how it's the fault of the devs themselves when it comes to EGS. We can't say something like Tim is underpaying/exploiting indies now! Victim blaming, ho!

Last edited:

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Those numbers don't mean much tbh. They couldn't sell their shit unless it was free on egs.
Like you have 1 000 000 newspapers printed in 2000 and can't sell em for $15 a pop and then timmy approaches you and offers $1000 and gives away the paper; then homeless guys claim all of that free stuff to wipe their asses.
Doesn't mean anyone would pay a penny for the stale paper of 2000 ad. Each paper for $0.001: the robbery and the tragedy of 21 century fox.

• Toucan
Reactions: yuraya

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Kind of surprising just how cheap it is to giveaway so many quality games for free. EGS is shit so its meaningless but I'm surprised other PC platforms out there don't spend pennies like that to giveaway so much. GOG in particular. CDPR can easily afford 11 million and in turn they can court/grow GOG a lot. And PC gamers actually love GOG so it would be an actual good investment. The freebies GOG gives away nowadays are fine but the EGS ones would be huge improvement. I bet devs wouldn't even care if its drm free since they are ok with these type of pitiful buyout prices.

Battle.net, Uplay and Win10 store could do this shit too. They all have a ton of $$$. I wouldn't root for them but I definitely would for GOG.

All this lawsuit data shows Valve can really crush everyone as well if Gabe decided to do this freebie bs.

Valve probably makes 11 million every week just selling old ass TF2 hats in steam marketplace. This type of sum is nothing.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

If this was Valve or Apple Tim would scream on Twitter for days. But it is Sony so he was silent.
You got to keep those investors happy after all.

Oh by the way so I don't think people have mentioned it here, but is Sony strategy to "invest" in companies and not flat out by them out? Since it favors Sony. If they invest in a company they can get their money back, that company will work closer with Sony and if worst comes to worse they just sell off their shares, they have done this in the past.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
146 million spondooles on Borderlands 3 👀

Not worth it
Hey now, come on. Maybe not 146 millions but I'm enjoying Borderlands 3 a lot.

It features some of the best use of colour theory I've ever seen, most of the songs are "bangers" and "slap" hard (as the kids would say... I think) and the gameplay is the best it's ever been. Yeah, the plot and the humor are mostly hit or miss and the UI is trash-tier (i.e., press x when inspecting a weapon to change its skin... and how do you know it's x? You have to Google it)

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Hmmm
High time i switch all my emails to hotmail/live.
It's 2021 and you still use hotmail? If you want something that's easy to use and don't care about anything else then get Gmail. If you care a bit about privacy, get something end-to-end encrypted like Protonmail.
But how people stay with hotmail or worse yahoo email I can't understand.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Why didnt you highlight egs as well?
I could have, and it may have been more effective.

It is mostly because I was surprised to see the game make so much money on Steam (despite being sold there only between January and September) in 2020, compared to the whole duration of 2019.

As part of this transition, the Windows version of the game was moved off Steam onto the Epic Games Store. Players that had already owned the Steam version prior to the change were still able to download, update the game and play it with cross-play with other platforms, and would continue to receive updates.
Plus, Rocket League ditched Mac and Linux in March 2020.

Psyonix announced in January 2020 that as part of a major upgrade to the base game systems, they would be dropping support for macOS and Linux from the game by March 2020.

So, I was interested in both comparisons:
  • Steam vs. EGS for 2020,
  • 2019 vs. 2020 for Steam.

Actually, Rocket League massively grew in 2020, on every platform. I wonder how that happened.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.