Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Looks like this week wasn't shitty enough. Just when I was about to be in my best shape ever, in hope to stop being maidenless, life found a way to crush me to the ground. Few days back I was diagnosed with alopecia areata. Today I found I have bald spots on my head that were not there even a week ago. I'm going fucking bald my dear metamates and it looks like my hair wants to 100% speedrun this shit :suicide-blob:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Let me know when Samsung makes tablets that aren’t completely unusable in less than a year.
I’ve used my fair share of Android tablets and all of those have been dog shit.
I've had my S5e for two years now, still going strong.
And funny you mention forced obsolescence, I wonder which company recently lost a class action suit for doing just that. :thinking-blob:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I've had my S5e for two years now, still going strong.
And funny you mention forced obsolescence, I wonder which company recently lost a class action suit for doing just that. :thinking-blob:
I didn't say forced obsolescence, I only said that every Android tablet I've owned has completely crapped the bed in an honestly unacceptable timeframe.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Looks like this week wasn't shitty enough. Just when I was about to be in my best shape ever, in hope to stop being maidenless, life found a way to crush me to the ground. Few days back I was diagnosed with alopecia areata. Today I found I have bald spots on my head that were not there even a week ago. I'm going fucking bald my dear metamates and it looks like my hair wants to 100% speedrun this shit :suicide-blob:
Shave it and own it.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
So, I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4!
I'm about halfway through and I think I'm enjoying it even more than VC1. The characters and the story are really great.

But Raz... He has to be one of the most animeiest anime guys that ever animeéd.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
What is strange is that a PC port of Royal is reportedly nearly done.
Uusually, even though some projects might be finished, they are on hold or getting ready for different updates within the publisher pipe-line.

Sadly this is when projects banish for some time :(

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Thing that annoy me the most so far is this gap at USB C port.

Because cable can't go fully in it moves left and right. If you could put it in fully then plastic around connector would prevent any movement.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The only reason to pick any tablet over an iPad is because you hate yourself.
Like I said the Nexus tablets were really good especially for the price. The MSRPd at least than $250 for the more expensive 32GB one. This was back in 2013 when we didn't really need 100GBs for file sizes.

But Google has since left the Nexus line in the past and are now only focused on more expensive stuff.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Like I said the Nexus tablets were really good especially for the price. The MSRPd at least than $250 for the more expensive 32GB one. This was back in 2013 when we didn't really need 100GBs for file sizes.

But Google has since left the Nexus line in the past and are now only focused on more expensive stuff.
I wouldn’t quite phrase it like NarohDethan, but iPads are far and away the best tablets available by country mile.

They’re ubiquitous in the tablet space like Steam is on PC because no one makes a product that comes near to it in terms of price : performance and features.

The best alternative, one of the Samsung tablets, is years behind in performance and, frankly, in terms of app support is closer to the first iPad than a mature and robust platform.

As someone who has used Android and iOS phones, both are good and both have their shortcomings. But there’s really no meaningful competition in the tablet market and if you think an Android tablet was a good experience then you don’t know what you’re missing.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I wouldn’t quite phrase it like NarohDethan, but iPads are far and away the best tablets available by country mile.

They’re ubiquitous in the tablet space like Steam is on PC because no one makes a product that comes near to it in terms of price : performance and features.

The best alternative, one of the Samsung tablets, is years behind in performance and, frankly, in terms of app support is closer to the first iPad than a mature and robust platform.

As someone who has used Android and iOS phones, both are good and both have their shortcomings. But there’s really no meaningful competition in the tablet market and if you think an Android tablet was a good experience then you don’t know what you’re missing.
That is SUPER subjective. I bought a used Samsung A6 Lite (over 2 years old) and it does everything I want and then some with no problems or extra effort required from me. Plus the openness of Android (YouTube Vanced for no ads, can install my custom Dexcom app if I ever need to, can install "adult" apps if I ever want to again, etc.) Plus the pen is a bonus if I ever want to doodle (I don't know if iPads come with pens in the current gen?). There is literally nothing I am "missing out on" by not having an iPad in my case, and while I truly hate Samsung software, it is barely noticeable on their tablets (I will probably never buy a Samsung phone/watch/etc. again though, and since it's Android I can always modify it if anything bothers me anyway).

So yea pretty happy with my $200 2 year old tablet that has a smart pen and a cover and does everything it needs to rapidly. You could not pay me to swap it for an iPad because I would actually lose functionality I use.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Wew. Lots of quotes, sorry in advance.

On the subject of Tablets and stuff, I had a Google Nexus 9 (developed by HTC) for 8 years and it only just died recently. Technically my HTC One smartphone is still going strong too.

I seriously wish HTC had stayed in the Hardware sector. I love my Samsung Galaxy phones these days, but HTC was next level good.

Hoyoverse (formerly Mihoyo - makers of Honkai and Genshin Impact) have announced one of their new projects:

Zenless Zone Zero

Not sure if it will be open world like Genshin.
Coming for PC and Mobile.
Interesting Art and characters, most likely to be wasted in a game that nickel and dimes at every corner they can. I have zero faith they aren't just trying to round up more chumps for gambling, the ones not already sucked in by Genshin. (Which itself is ripping character designs from elsewhere.)

Which just makes me not want to reward them. Of course I am just 1 person in a world of 9 billion though.

Also did this survey, everyone go for it and ask for Steam!!!! they are asking about remakes, remasters, ports and so, IT'S YOUR CHANCE TO SPEAK LOUD!
I did my part, and like others I answered Steam whenever I could. But holy fuck, these scumbuckets just don't stop. The survey is so lopsided and PC is nerfed by way of not even being an option for the first 40 or so questions.

Options for smartphone and TV+Console only. Where the fuck is the PC option???

Atlus being Atlus, Europe still does not exist...
The survey mentions it's only accepting American IP's due to "privacy" reasons. If I had to take a bet, I'd say no Europe survey due to the GDPR stuff. Of course Atlus should still offer a GDPR compliant one but... they're probably too cheap/lazy.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I honestly don't bother answering the survey. Every evidence points to porting games to PC being profitable to Atlus. I think P5R is coming but they are delaying the announcement because they need to do the "x announcements to celebrate anniversary" thing.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So what am I missing out on by not having an iPad?

Like some one said since I haven't really tried one out I don't know what I'm missing out on.
Software specifically tailored for iPadOS.
Apple Pencil functionality if you're into art.
If you wish to spend more in the ecosystem, seamless accessory integration, like the Magic Keyboard, Airpods, etc.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Speaking for myself, I bought an Android tablet because I don't like the 4:3 form factor of the iPad. I seriously considered buying one, the app ecosystem is definitely better but the thing is, I don't use a lot of apps for this to make any meaningful difference. The apps I do use frequently (Youtube, Gmail, Chrome etc) are all perfectly fine and I don't play games on the tablet so performance in everyday tasks is smooth enough. It also has a good super amoled screen and good speakers. It wasn't cheaper than the base iPad back when I bought it so it makes sense why most people go for iPads but Android tablets are perfectly usable for most everyday tasks.

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Dandy and Tomasety

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
So what am I missing out on by not having an iPad?

Like some one said since I haven't really tried one out I don't know what I'm missing out on.
A vastly superior app ecosystem that alone finishes the iOS vs Android tablet argument. The ipad has incredible apps for productivity, creativity and gaming that don't even exist on Android. Even simple tasks like note taking have superior apps on ios (Notability, Goodnotes) which are better designed and just run better. Simply put, apps make a ton more money on iOS than they do on Android so it's completely natural that app developers give preferential treatment to one platform over the other. It's also easier to target a fixed number of devices as opposed to loads of variants on Android. Things like games that come out on both platforms almost always start off on iOS. Also, the lowest tier ipad you can buy has better performance and thus longer app support/lifespan than the top tier Samsung tablets (which are the only ones worth even considering). The only Android app that I've ever seen to be better than iOS variants was this comic/manga reader (forgot the name, I think it was open source) because it had way more compatibility than any of the choices I've seen on iOS.

The Android vs iOS argument is endless but in the tablet space there is none. Even Google has abandoned the tablet ecosystem for their own OS.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
OK, spent some time on Hatchwell this morning and while I am loving it so far there is one aspect that is pissing me off. I am on about my 10th run against the first boss. For a Zelda-like, there are no boss warps. It just gets frustrating that every time I die I can't just jump straight back in to the fight. Oh and the first boss fight just seems a bit too long as well. I will push on though.

The survey mentions it's only accepting American IP's due to "privacy" reasons. If I had to take a bet, I'd say no Europe survey due to the GDPR stuff. Of course Atlus should still offer a GDPR compliant one but... they're probably too cheap/lazy.
Oh I understand why it isn't there, I just find it funny that even now Atlus still choose to ignore Europe as an option whenever it's easy for them.

I honestly don't bother answering the survey. Every evidence points to porting games to PC being profitable to Atlus. I think P5R is coming but they are delaying the announcement because they need to do the "x announcements to celebrate anniversary" thing.
This, I have always hated these surveys as a way of letting them know. We let them know when we bout P4G, Catherine and the P5 Musou game. I just get the impression that Atlus is run by brain dead idiots and Sega just leave them be even though they could make more money.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
The only Android app that I've ever seen to be better than iOS variants was this comic/manga reader (forgot the name, I think it was open source) because it had way more compatibility than any of the choices I've seen on iOS.
That's the thing, I don't use my tablet as a computer (because, duh, why would I? I have a PC for that), and for the stuff I use it for (manga reading with Tachiyomi, streaming games from PC, watching videos with Plex, light puzzle games) it's 16:10 form factor and OLED screen are superior than anything Apple can offer ATM.
I do have both an old Ipad (it's 32 bit, which should tell you something) I use for exclusive rhythm games and wife's 2021 model, and either of these is a subpar experience for my needs.

OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Never a bad thing to remind them from time to time and I will gladly take 36 minutes to tell them how much I'm about to spend if they port their stuff to PC.

Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher
OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I did my part, and like others I answered Steam whenever I could. But holy fuck, these scumbuckets just don't stop. The survey is so lopsided and PC is nerfed by way of not even being an option for the first 40 or so questions.

Options for smartphone and TV+Console only. Where the fuck is the PC option???
Huh, interesting, I had a section dedicated to Steam as I chose that path with my answers and it was in fact quite complete, hell it even differentiates PC and Steam as two different entities.

Wonder what did we do differently.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, I feel like they have a similar survey every few months, when just looking at the market should give them the answers,

Status
Not open for further replies.