Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
30fps in some scenes on a 10900K + 3090 (?) at 720p is a really beefy boy, and with the broken DLSS... I'm not even going to bother. This needs more than 1 full gen of CPU AND GPU improvements to get practical.

I look forward to when it's practical to use GI or at least baked multisampling in RT reflections, because even in the best case, those improperly lit inter-reflections are jarring.

(also, the lack of contact shadows in the RT reflection in the thumbnail, for example, make this look bad)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Thanks to PossiblyPudding, I'm playing Neon Abyss as well. I'm enjoying it so far, but after beating the 3rd manager, I can't select another manager and I need 20 special badges first. I really hope this doesn't mean the game is turning into a grind...
Haha nice! The cursed bosses that you'll be going up against soon will be a difficulty jump but nothing that I'd say is grindy. But you will need some luck on your side for sure! Two words though, cat gun. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

And speaking of, it's that time again! Today is the usual Sunday bounce around where I screw around in a few different games to try them out. Going to be starting with Meow Motors so if you want to see a Mario Kart-like with cute cats feel free to stop by and hang out! :blobhug:

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don’t think a cross-gen game with a poor performing RT implementation should be indicative of 3000 series performance (or lack thereof) or that 4000 series will play it well.

Anyone with a 3000 series card should be able to play Hitman 3 RT at a card appropriate resolution at decent framerates.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Hitman 3 is one case where I really feel like it's fair to criticize the implementation. We've seen several much more efficient and/or higher quality implementations of both RT (reflections and shadows) and DLSS already.
It almost looks like a full software implementation on Nvidia GPUs. The game being sponsored by Intel could have something to do with that.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I don’t think a cross-gen game with a poor performing RT implementation should be indicative of 3000 series performance (or lack thereof) or that 4000 series will play it well.

Anyone with a 3000 series card should be able to play Hitman 3 RT at a card appropriate resolution at decent framerates.
Obviously, but in cases like this where the implementation or optimization is lacking, throwing more horsepower at the problem can often work wonders. 🙃

IOI really need take another look at their implementation and fix things up, though.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I wasn't far into Death Stranding so I'm going to start over for the Director's Cut.
I remember Digital Foundry saying that the game looks better with DLSS quality mode than at native 4k.
I wonder if the same applies to 1080p or if I should stick to native? I can hold 60fps regardless but my monitor only supports 1080p so I want it to look as good as possible at that resolution.
Basically I'm wondering if it's worth turning DLSS on even if I don't need the performance boost.
What's the internal resolution used by DLSS quality mode when targeting 1080p? 900p? 720p seems seems low.

• Eyes

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
The DLSS stuff in Hitman is pretty bad in particular.

It would also be nice if they added more options to reflections, like, separate reflection quality and reflection scene density for example.

Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
fucking hell it's almost the end of may jfc it feels like every day last week was a month

genuinely hard to care about video cards and video games in the last week or so. Every fuckin day felt like I got layed out by a psychic linebacker

Hard to care about the hitman stuff, when Streets of Rage 4 is on steam that's all i need

• Eyes

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
I wasn't far into Death Stranding so I'm going to start over for the Director's Cut.
I remember Digital Foundry saying that the game looks better with DLSS quality mode than at native 4k.
I wonder if the same applies to 1080p or if I should stick to native? I can hold 60fps regardless but my monitor only supports 1080p so I want it to look as good as possible at that resolution.
Basically I'm wondering if it's worth turning DLSS on even if I don't need the performance boost.
What's the internal resolution used by DLSS quality mode when targeting 1080p? 900p? 720p seems seems low.
At 1080p, if a game has good native IQ, even DLSS quality is usually a slight visual downgrade (if DLSS fixes or adds something like AA in Nioh 2 that's a different story). But if your gpu is good enough you can try DLDSR in combination with DLSS, expensive but you can keep a higher base resolution that way.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Mobile games have come a long way, huh. Combat and traversal look rad.
I assume this will get a PC client too if they want to chase Genshin, but nothing known yet. Well, it's probably 1+ years away anyway.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Mobile games have come a long way, huh. Combat and traversal look rad.
I assume this will get a PC client too if they want to chase Genshin, but nothing known yet. Well, it's probably 1+ years away anyway.
You just reminded me, what ever happened to that game Blue Protocol, not sure if it was also on mobile. Think the last thing I heard was that it was PC only. Looked good though.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

raytracing continues to be the one thing people hype, but in reality, nobody would even notice, what difference does there even exist in those images, they're literally the same

i'd personally hope IO Interactive actually, you know, do updates that improve the game's longevity like they did for hitman 2 instead of this pretty much pointless gimmick that is raytracing and the usual crappy escalations

• Eyes

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia
You just reminded me, what ever happened to that game Blue Protocol, not sure if it was also on mobile. Think the last thing I heard was that it was PC only. Looked good though.

It's still being worked on iirc but development news have been silent currently. It doesn't have a actual release date announced yet too.

Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
actual_norwegian_guy It really depends on the implementation of the Raytracing. For example, in Metro Exodus it completely changes the mood of the game. It looks much better with RT. I would still not buy an RTX card strictly for Raytracing, because the performance cost of this feature is just too high.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
At 1080p, if a game has good native IQ, even DLSS quality is usually a slight visual downgrade (if DLSS fixes or adds something like AA in Nioh 2 that's a different story). But if your gpu is good enough you can try DLDSR in combination with DLSS, expensive but you can keep a higher base resolution that way.
Thanks. I'll probably stick to native res.

I've been holding off on getting Metro Exodus until I had a gpu that could run the enhanced edition, I hope the game gets a good discount soon.

Troubleshooters has a bunch of mechanics that I still haven't wrapped my head around. I think they made it needlessly complicated but the game is so easy on normal that it doesn't matter. Gonna bump it up to hard to see how it goes. What's the point of playing a game like this if you don't need to put any thought into what you're doing?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone else had that feeling when you wanna play something, you expect it to be fun, but also expect it to become a repetive boring slog at some point, but still wanna play through it now just so you won't have to think about playing it in the future, so your head is in a big dilemma wherever or not to play it, but in the end you know you will, but still thinking you won't.

Im having that feeling with Far Cry 6.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
raytracing continues to be the one thing people hype, but in reality, nobody would even notice, what difference does there even exist in those images, they're literally the same
The bigger difference between low to medium reflection settings is the number of dynamic objects affected, which that shot isn't comparing. What is noticable though, when you zoom in (shown in the video a couple of seconds later), is that things get a lot blurrier with low reflections. That's hard to spot in that case, due to texture of the granite floor, but becomes very noticable when you look at reflections on something like glass.

Beyond just better graphics, though. The real promise of ray tracing, and all true global illumination techniques is something else. It enables developers to not waste time setting fake lights everywhere, which is how the modern graphics stack works. It takes a ton of work to set up levels, and it would all just disappear overnight if devs could assume that all machines they need to ship on can do RT of some kind. RT (and other GI methods) is the future, it's just a question of time for it to trickle down to weaker systems like consoles and handhelds.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
It's still being worked on iirc but development news have been silent currently. It doesn't have a actual release date announced yet too.
Yeah you're right, doing some digging around it looks like it might release in Japan this year, with English localization happening for a release next year.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, I thought you would find this interesting so here we go.

As you all know already, A Steam banner for Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) leaked via a franchise page that is not yet public (it redirects to homepage). Well, looks like some more stuff has been happening behind the scenes.

Looks like Activision has been opening base groups (which are mandatory for publisher/franchise pages) on Steam for quite some time, here are a few of them:
Steam Community :: Group :: Call of Duty
Steam Community :: Group :: Activision

And a news hub for Call of Duty franchise:
Call of Duty - Steam News Hub

So far so good, right? Well, let's see who are the owners of those groups:
Steam Community :: kai.hsu
Steam Community :: booth.ramsay

But the most interesting part is this, both profiles have the same number of games on their Steam Libraries (and as you can see those are corporate accounts, not user/player ones) which is 128 games.

Do try to count the number of games that are currently on Steam from Activision and then try to find the missing ones :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:

Something is going on behind the scenes, fellas!

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018

i'd personally hope IO Interactive actually, you know, do updates that improve the game's longevity like they did for hitman 2 instead of this pretty much pointless gimmick that is raytracing and the usual crappy escalations

"nobody would even notice" lol

The DLSS issues seem pretty weird. Those ghostings effects look crazy bad, never seen that before.
I haven't tried the DLSS dll the games comes with, but I've played it with the most recent DLSS version and that ghosting effect is only present in Ultra Performance mode, which should be fully expected as ultra performance is a mess in every game. Performance mode has a bit of shimmering, and everything from Balanced and above looks perfectly fine.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Finished up FF2. Took me about 14hrs and my first game completed entirely on Deck.

Overall it was pretty good. Nowhere near the best FF game that I played but more middle of the road. The dungeons and enemy variety was pretty good. The boss fights were good. The weapon variety and difficulty curve was the best thing about it all. The story and characters were kinda dumb tho. Not as engaging as the first game imo. A lot of characters just die in the game too. Sometime very abruptly. Kinda weird tbh. I really didn't like how members of your party would just bail and it happened too many times. Also the world map just felt a bit shallow and small compared to FF1. Almost felt incomplete at times for wtvr reason.

Also knowing what to do next after certain events in the game was kind of all over the place. There was some cryptic stuff in this game in terms moving the story forward. I had to look up a walkthrough for a couple areas because I was just stuck. Asking and learning things in game was a mess. So I don't know if the game was just ambitious and ahead of its time...or just poorly designed. Either way I kind of enjoyed it.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Still in development with no real news for a while now. It's actually a PC MMORPG, not a gacha game.
But yeah, who knows when it will see the light of day.

• Eyes

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Well, I thought you would find this interesting so here we go.

As you all know already, A Steam banner for Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) leaked via a franchise page that is not yet public (it redirects to homepage). Well, looks like some more stuff has been happening behind the scenes.

Looks like Activision has been opening base groups (which are mandatory for publisher/franchise pages) on Steam for quite some time, here are a few of them:
Steam Community :: Group :: Call of Duty
Steam Community :: Group :: Activision

And a news hub for Call of Duty franchise:
Call of Duty - Steam News Hub

So far so good, right? Well, let's see who are the owners of those groups:
Steam Community :: kai.hsu
Steam Community :: booth.ramsay

But the most interesting part is this, both profiles have the same number of games on their Steam Libraries (and as you can see those are corporate accounts, not user/player ones) which is 128 games.

Do try to count the number of games that are currently on Steam from Activision and then try to find the missing ones :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:

Something is going on behind the scenes, fellas!
That's some excellent detective work. Does look like Activision will be returning to Steam soon with at least Call of Duty.

I wonder how much longer we'll go until we see Ubisoft return.

OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
That's some excellent detective work. Does look like Activision will be returning to Steam soon with at least Call of Duty.

I wonder how much longer we'll go until we see Ubisoft return.
Merit also goes to InquisitorAles and Arsene (I can't tag for whatever reason) and yeah, it's extremely interesting, I'm having the same vibes as when EA depots started to get updates all the sudden and then the steamy mug ahhaah

OP
Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
『void tRrLM();//ボイド・テラリウム』の続編である『void* tRrLM2();//ボイド・テラリウム2』の発売を予定しているほか、北米子会社NIS Americaと連携し、既存のプラットフォームに加えてSteamへの積極的に商品を展開していく。
In cooperation with its North American subsidiary NIS America, the company will aggressively expand its products to Steam in addition to its existing platforms.
GrimGrimore anyone? :blobmorning2:

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

I don't think anyone pointed it out but ALL of those shots have RT reflections. That's comparing the low, med, and high RT reflections settings in a scene where there is basically no diff (only ray count would matter in that scene, there isn't even a roughness cutoff in that scene).

Since we can't do all the multisampling (texture look ups), nor objects, nor dynamic lighting nor dynamic objects/effects in every RT reflection, RT reflections can sometimes end up looking a bit so-so. I think they're best when they're being used to replace artifact ridden screenspace reflections, or when they're used on geometry where we can't have remotely accurate reflections otherwise (curved and especially concave surfaces).

Status
Not open for further replies.