Community MetaSteam | May 2023 - Bloody hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I tried out Fatal Frame - Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. Never played a Fatal Frame / Project Zero game and folks told me this one was actually good so I bought it instead of Maiden of Black Water.

But not even in the game and Koei Tecmo strikes once:
Starting in 720p windowed mode.

Getting into the settings Koei Tecmo strikes twice:
Yes, this is the total of the video/graphics options.

Getting the first achievement, Koei Tecmo strikes out:
Why the hell are the Achievements in French (German Steam, English in-game)???

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Every time i hear something about FFXVI i am becoming less interested than before.
This is the first time i've felt about this franchise ever. Even for XIII and XV i was very excited beforehand.
The marketing hasn't been very good for XVI. Much worse than XV and XV was pretty sloppy too.

They showed 10 trailers for the game now and 9 of them look like the same trailer with near identical dialogue lol

FF has always been a simple series which just needs a nice CGI trailer and maybe show off one boss fight. That would be enough but they are overdoing it.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
more info about the Dolphin thing:

You may have seen or heard the news about @dolphin / Valve / Nintendo from a few hours ago. If not, read e.g. https://www.pcgamer.com/nintendo-sends-valve-dmca-notice-to-block-steam-release-of-wii-emulator-dolphin/ from the amazing @wes.
Unfortunately pretty much everyone has been getting the legal details wrong, incl. Dolphin themselves on their blog (now fixed).
Quick thread with my personal summary of the situation.

Disclaimer: I'm not officially involved with Dolphin anymore. I was the treasurer for the foundation backing the project for a while (technically still am for a month), but I've stepped down from the project a month or so ago. So, still plenty of context, but not much at stake for me.
The error that many have done in their reporting is to say this was a "DMCA takedown notice" or "DMCA notice" or (ugh) "DMCA". This was none of these things.

The DMCA is a broad set of laws that includes, a process for copyright owners to ask publishers to take down data. This is defined in sect. 512(c) of the copyright act, and it comes with some requirements from the claimant side of things (here: Nintendo), and some liability on the publisher side of things (here: Valve). It also includes rights for the entity accused (here: the Stichting Dolphin Emulator) to counter claim, allowing the publisher to reinstate the content until the claimant sues.

In this case, none of this process was followed. To the best of my understanding, this is what happened:
  1. Valve legal contacted Nintendo of America to ask "hey, what do you think about Dolphin?"
  2. Nintendo replied to Valve "we think it's bad and also that it violates the DMCA anti-circumvention provisions" (note: nothing about violating copyright itself). Also "please take it down".
  3. Valve legal takes it down and forwards NoA's reply to the Dolphin Foundation contact address.

This is very much not a section 502(c) takedown! Just standard legal removals / C&D between two companies.
This has some interesting and sad consequences:

• Dolphin is not a party into any of this. Valve's ToS likely allows them to take down anything for any reason they want. There's no counter claim process or anything like this.
  • Valve could have decided to ignore Nintendo with ~ no liability. They decided to just do whatever they were asked, and that's not surprising given they initiated contact in the first place.
  • Dolphin probably has no recourse here to get any other outcome from Valve, but also no particular risk or liability.

Now onto Nintendo's legal claims: nobody can tell for sure whether Dolphin is in the right, or whether Nintendo is in the right. Like all legal matters, there is a lot of space for interpretation.
Dolphin does distribute the Wii AES-128 Common Key which is used to encrypt Wii game discs. This isn't required in theory, the tools that dump game discs could just dump decrypted images, in fact that might be easier than dumping encrypted images (the decryption is done transparently by the Wii OS).

Whether that's allowed by exception clauses for interoperability, whether that's allowed by some kind of fair use clause, whether Nintendo's broken DRM actually counts as an effective copyright protection measure, etc. -> only a lawsuit could decide that. Your guess is probably as good or as bad as anyone else's.
EOT

Last edited:

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Dang, I never realized Fly's adventures was Dragon Quest until now. I don't remember watching it, but I would see promotional videos of it.
If you're interested Dragon Quest: Dai no daibouken manga/anime is very influenced by Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation.
The 2020 show which has 100 episodes and covers the entire story of the manga is pretty decent although personally I'm not a big fan since as I do with many remakes of 90s things I find it lacks a bit of soul and how it happens with the current products they removed anything related to fanservice, as modern audiences tend to prefer these days. The 90s show -46 episodes and 3 movies/OVAs- reach when Dai discover who he is, and change the manga's pl0t to fit with Toei's decision to cancel the show.

Last edited:
  • Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
While we are talking about emulation
I have unsuccessfully tried to get my steam controller to work with Yuzu, it just doesn't find the controller, always only the keyboard in the input devices found
  • tried to configure desktop steam controller setup
  • tried to open yuzu as a steam game
  • tried to open yuzu as a steam game within BPM (doesn't work because yuzu is like a launcher and it opens in desktop mode)
  • tried to use Steam Rom Manager to open the exact game and circumventing yuzu opening as a desktop launcher

Any other Steam game with controller support work with the steam controller

But in Yuzu the controller is never found, from screenshots, there should either be an xinput device or Steam digital controller in the list, but there is always only 3 options, "any" "Keyboard "Keyboard/Mouse"
:/

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
  • tried to open yuzu as a steam game within BPM (doesn't work because yuzu is like a launcher and it opens in desktop mode)
if you want to use steam as a yuzu game's launcher you need to use this structure (command line method):

this way steam input works, no idea if works with steam controller, I don't have it to try but it works for other controllers.
put -f -g "game ROM path" on launch parameters.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
if you want to use steam as a yuzu game's launcher you need to use this structure (command line method):

this way steam input works, no idea if works with steam controller, I don't have it to try but it works for other controllers.
put -f -g "game ROM path" on launch parameters.
thanks, will try it
Sadly, also didn't work, it launches the game just fine with the parameters, but the controller is still not found

Well, I will be a hardcore PC player and play the game with keyboard :shrugblob:

Last edited:
  • Sad

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
thanks, will try it
Sadly, also didn't work, it launches the game just fine with the parameters, but the controller is still not found

Well, I will be a hardcore PC player and play the game with keyboard :shrugblob:
there's another method I usually use for other old PC games that don't support controllers, but maybe you don't want to deal with xDDD because it's tedious.
I use xpadder
(you can find "free" version on google XD)
With this program you can remap anything.
Then I use steam to launch a *.bat file (disabling steam input):

with a code like this:
start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\XPadder\xpadder.exe"
set HOME=%~dp0
"command line game shortcut"
this way steam launch xpadder and the videogame you want at once. I use it for games that only support kb+mouse (f.e. when Valorant was released) maybe could do the trick for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyougar

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
there's another method I usually use for other old PC games that don't support controllers, but maybe you don't want to deal with xDDD because it's tedious.
I use xpadder
(you can find "free" version on google XD)
With this program you can remap anything.
Then I use steam to launch a *.bat file:

with a code like this:

this way steam launch xpadder and the videogame you want at once. I use it for games that only support kb+mouse (f.e. when Valorant was released) maybe could do the trick for you.
console gaming is such a chore! always fiddling with settings and fixes :astonished-face:

• Toucan

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

Well since Valve and NoA are good friends and Dolphin on Steam is "illegal" that means Nintendo games are coming to Steam

Right?

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and QFNS

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

MVG addressed this and confirmed Dolphin does use Nintendo's copyrighted Wii retail keys in the program. While Nintendo is Nintendo, they are technically in the legal right in this situation and the Dolphin devs screwed up.

• Sad
Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I got a cease and desist for doing so ! LOL
My friend got like 4 cease and desists for downloading Nintendo games he already owned physically. He ended up framing one of them and hung it up on his wall lol. As far as we could tell, Nintendo just keeps sending cease and desists to people but doesn't actually push it further than that. But we're also not in the US so could be different there.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Other than Meta sucking ass, Quest 2 is a nice HMD. Good for PCVR too, especially since it can be made to run in 120hz with a high bitrate.
Yeah, I tried the robot dance demo and it was quite cute. It came bundled with RE4 and a couple of other games but I'm mainly interested in Alyx.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Saejima's part in yakuza 5 is nearly as boring and as insufferable as Kiryu's Okinawa part in yakuza 3, the forced hunting minigame seems engineered just to waste your time.
I'm just pressing X mindlessly on my controller, I don't care what these people have to say or all the instructions i just want this part to end lol

Love your wallpaper. What you're showing is the Windows 11 feature to load Android apps?
no it's the google play games thing which is supposed to do the same thing sort of, MS "native" solution does it through amazon appstore

Last edited:
Reactions: 「Echo」

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Real big brain moment for the Dolphin team. What were they thinking?!
Well RetroArch is on Steam with no issues (granted with the cores each having to be individually approved but still plenty for Nintendo and other company systems already are), I guess they must have forgotten they actually include the official keys thing so long after having to mess with that part of the emulation. Hopefully it's a simple change to implement there and they can avoid issues now. Good thing it's in such a good state at this point (not that it's perfect, some big games don't work well still, like the Rogue Squadron titles and iirc I had similar if not as severe issues with the King Kong game too) so we can keep it forever.

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
I would like to recommend just another useful gaming software
dxwnd
totally freeware
With this software you can play and force all games to be windowed. It's very useful to play old games with that low resolution some monitors do not support or those games that do not let you to play on window mode.
this is how it looks:
You can use it with steam to launch those games this way:
if you add /R:? where ? is the game number listed on dxwnd you can launch the game through steam and play windowed.
it has a lot of configuration options and compatiblity (f.e. some games need to get admin cap, you can give it there if you want).

Last edited:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Also, isn't Ghostwire extremely meh?
I think the initial impressions of combat in Ghostwire probably account for a lot of that, it's generally well reviewed, but combat is basic and takes a while to unlock some real options. The aesthetics of the attack/parries/etc. kept me invested a lot though.

Personally, the rest of the game is great, the city felt amazing. There is so much detail everywhere. Having a game centered on a folklore I'm somewhat-but-less-familiar-with than Greek or other western ones is a nice change of pace too.

If the effects and aesthetics don't grab you it's certainly a harder sell.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If Dolphin included them, it'd get a DCMA strike years ago. It's hosted on Github, from which Nintendo already removed dozens of projects using the same reasoning.
It's there, there's a link in the Era thread. Looks like enough of a smoking gun for Nintendo to have good chances in court, I would say. From what I understand in the Era thread, it's also not really Nintendo that was sending a DMCA here, more Valve being overly cautious, similarly how retroArch on Steam is a special build that is not enabled to pull arbitrary cores.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's there, there's a link in the Era thread. Looks like enough of a smoking gun for Nintendo to have good chances in court, I would say. From what I understand in the Era thread, it's also not really Nintendo that was sending a DMCA here, more Valve being overly cautious, similarly how retroArch on Steam is a special build that is not enabled to pull arbitrary cores.
This makes a lot of sense. I know that Valve currently has a number of lawsuits that are filed against them and I'm guessing that they would want to avoid another one if possible.

By the way for those that know more about Nintendo, I'm guessing that there is a difference in terms of NoA coming after you and having Nintendo of Japan coming after you (or does every little thing get talked about at the main headquarters type of thing?)

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
By the way for those that know more about Nintendo, I'm guessing that there is a difference in terms of NoA coming after you and having Nintendo of Japan coming after you (or does every little thing get talked about at the main headquarters type of thing?)
NoA is basically a branch office of Nintendo Co Ltd in Japan. NoA has no autonomy, and what little they did have was clawed back during the Iwata years.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have unsuccessfully tried to get my steam controller to work with Yuzu, it just doesn't find the controller, always only the keyboard in the input devices found
  • tried to configure desktop steam controller setup
  • tried to open yuzu as a steam game
  • tried to use Steam Rom Manager to open the exact game and circumventing yuzu opening as a desktop launcher
I actually had this scenario working (Yuzu with the Steam controller) just by launching it from Steam. But this was over a year ago, both of those software packages changed a lot since then, and I haven't tried it more recently, so this is probably not very helpful.

Fake edit: actually, I might have been playing in Ryujinx back then. Did you try that?

Reactions: Kyougar and QFNS

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Link your capcom Street Fighter V CAPCOM ID and get Super Street Fighter II Turbo as a bonus when you play Street Fighter VI on any plaftorm

Play the definitive version of Street Fighter II in Street Fighter 6!
  • You can start the game by going to Multi Menu > Gallery > Game Center
  • ROM version: EN

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I have a Logitech G Pro keyboard atm, but I'm in the market for a new one. It's served me well enough for some years, but the revision is definitely a step down compared to their older models of the same board.

Any recommendations? Preferabbly on the small side, 10-keyless is usually the compromise i go for. Budget is about $150USD. Just no Razers, I hate their super annoying software and have had nothing but quality issues with every single Razer product i ever purchased. :cautious:

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I have a Logitech G Pro keyboard atm, but I'm in the market for a new one. It's served me well enough for some years, but the revision is definitely a step down compared to their older models of the same board.

Any recommendations? Preferabbly on the small side, 10-keyless is usually the compromise i go for. Budget is about $150USD. Just no Razers, I hate their super annoying software and have had nothing but quality issues with every single Razer product i ever purchased. :cautious:
I’m going to place an order for this one

• Eyes
Reactions: 「Echo」

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
That Dolphin thing is very odd, it's not like they added the common key in there just now. It's been there for ages, surely Nintendo knew before already. So legally speaking, what changed?
Unless Nintendo didn't actually know, hadn't looked, and Valve lawyers looked into it on their own proactively, found out and then told them? But that seems too ridiculous.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I actually had this scenario working (Yuzu with the Steam controller) just by launching it from Steam. But this was over a year ago, both of those software packages changed a lot since then, and I haven't tried it more recently, so this is probably not very helpful.

Fake edit: actually, I might have been playing in Ryujinx back then. Did you try that?
Yeah, same with ryujinx :/
Well, its 13 Sentinals, I will get by with just keyboard.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Been thinking how crazy it is we got so much new Silent HIll and Metal Gear news in this last year.

I have to give Konami their props. After the shitshow that was the Kojima breakup in 2015/16 they bounced back rather nicely.

-New Bomberman games.
-New Yugioh games
-Metal Gear Survive
-Castlevania Anniversary Collection
-Castlevania Advance Collection
-Contra and TMNT collections
-New Silent Hill games and remakes
-New MGS remake and collections.

Its been pretty good. They actually went out of their way to be a gaming company and put out all of stuff that fans wanted. And the even let other 3rd party teams work with their ip.

I guess they could do one more Castlevania collection that is missing the remaining games. Maybe even another collection with the old Silent Hill games. And we will see what the MGS Vo.2 collection winds up being. But overall this is probably as good as as it could of been all things considered.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Konami and "invest" are not two words that go together.

They're only interested in spinning a quick buck.
Haha, that's true. Most of their projects are low risk, low budget compilations. SH2 remake is gonna suck shit but they have bloober to take the fall, I can already picture the apology tweet.

• Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Haha, that's true. Most of their projects are low risk, low budget compilations. SH2 remake is gonna suck shit but they have bloober to take the fall, I can already picture the apology tweet.
They've been like this since around 2008/2009. Kojima was always an outlier in that company, and the toxic management even got to him in the end.

I don't even consider them a video gaming company any more. It's like how Nintendo used to make Hanafuda and shifted entirely to different recreation markets. The fact that they're doing what they're doing at the moment is just a mitigation strategy because the pandemic fucked their amusement strategy, but I don't think they've learned any lessons and they'll probably power on with the pre-pandemic strategy as soon as they're able to.

Whether they keep a gaming division ticking along after that as a form of diversification is another thing, but they were put off games in the first place because they were in the business of making high budget titles that had relatively high opportunity cost in comparison to their returns compared to their amusement and sports club businesses (reoccuring income after big initial and small ongoing investment), and didn't want to be "distracted" by it.

Which I think is fair enough. But they've should've spun their gaming division and IP off instead of sitting on it like treasure in a a dragon's lair.

Status
Not open for further replies.