Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
No surprise, Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed are brands. People love brands over actual quality. No wonder it's gonna sell even if no gameplay is shown.
Digital Foundry once again didn't have PC report for big PC release (Ghost of Tsushima). These days that is normal thing for DF. Again i know that Alex can't do everything by himself but their PC reporting is kinda becoming pointless.
I dunno, I still trust them with their in depth reporting. They can take all their time.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
(System not upgraded to the latest because Wayland and Plasma 6)
I've updated my Manjaro installation to Plasma 6 and the latest kernels etc, and after an initial hiccup (Wayland wouldnt render a desktop, so I switched back to X11) and some performance problems (Dishonoured 2, which ran smoothly prior, suddendly stuttered all over the place; but this resolved magically after a restart) its all fine now. I wonder however if Wayland will ever actually replace X11 ;)

What Linux flavor should I use if I am going to be using the original use VMware workstation pro VB?

No experience in either.
I have no experience in WMware workstation (didnt even know what it was, had to google it), but my guess is the biggest distros are likely your best choice, since they'll likely have the best support – like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu. When it comes to choosing what desktop, KDE Plasma is highly costumizable (but its a bit easier to break stuff), Gnome less so (havent used Gnome since version 3 came out, so cant comment much).

My personal favourite (but I havent personally tried many distros) is Manjaro, a distro based on Arch; it was recommended for Proton-testing by Valve back when the Steam Deck was announced so I went with it and liked it + used it ever since. Never had to reinstall it either, it mostly works without problems.
Ive previously (years and years ago) used stuff like SUSE, Ubuntu, Mint... and I know Gamall Wednesday Ida uses EndeavourOS, also based on Arch.

Unfortunately, this is both Linux's biggest strength and weakness, the question of "what is the ideal distro for me?" isnt so easy or straightforward.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I went with Debian cause I tried out ElemOS but that had issues in VM. I will try out Manjaro - is there somethign that is like internet download manager that can download videos playing straight from the browser?

LEANIJA

Also this is annoying, I cna't install file centipede (fileu) cause of admin but can't run that in terminal...

Last edited:
Reactions: LEANIJA

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Digital Foundry once again didn't have PC report for big PC release (Ghost of Tsushima). These days that is normal thing for DF. Again i know that Alex can't do everything by himself but their PC reporting is kinda becoming pointless. Many PC port reports come week or more after release.
From what I understand, and this is second hand, they didn't get given a code by Sony so could only get the game the same time as us.

• This!
Reactions: Lashley

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I enjoyed Artifact.
I don't doubt the numbers are good, but a journo saying he DOESN'T have the numbers but believe the very people who at time have shown a very MALLEABLE definition of truth, and whose interest it is to boast of GOOD numbers... is great. Can't make it more 2024 sorta-journo sorta-influencer sorta-PR.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I don't doubt the numbers are good, but a journo saying he DOESN'T have the numbers but believe the very people who at time have shown a very MALLEABLE definition of truth, and whose interest it is to boast of GOOD numbers... is great. Can't make it more 2024 sorta-journo sorta-influencer sorta-PR.
"Our product is desired! We can't and won't talk about exact numbers, but be assured that they are strong! So many people can't be wrong, preorder the game yourself to be able to also experience this desirable product!"

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was watching a tech youtuber disable cores from 6 to 4 and lower his thread count as well, his game performance WENT UP anywhere from 5 to 16%. He didn't explain why this was happening though which left me super confused.

So i'm asking you guys for ideas/thoughts. How can you get better performance in games with less CPU to work with? :unsure:

The video in question.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I was watching a tech youtuber disable cores from 6 to 4 and lower his thread count as well, his game performance WENT UP anywhere from 5 to 16%. He didn't explain why this was happening though which left me super confused.

So i'm asking you guys for ideas/thoughts. How can you get better performance in games with less CPU to work with? :unsure:

The video in question.
I didn't watch the video but if the game doesn't take full advantage of many cores, disabling some would allow the CPU more headroom to reach higher clockspeeds of the active cores, thus increasing performance.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I went with Debian cause I tried out ElemOS but that had issues in VM. I will try out Manjaro - is there somethign that is like internet download manager that can download videos playing straight from the browser?

LEANIJA

Also this is annoying, I cna't install file centipede (fileu) cause of admin but can't run that in terminal...
Debian is always a good choice, I would say. I unfortunately cant help with centipede (fileu), havent heard of it before. maybe the other linux users here know more?

as for an internet download manager that can download videos from the browser? unsure here either, but for youtube and other streaming sites (not DRM-protected ones like netflix, however), I can recommend GitHub - aandrew-me/ytDownloader: A modern GUI App for downloading Videos and Audios from hundreds of sites

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm addicted to Lightning Returns lol. At first I was put off and also overwhelmed but now that I've wrapped my head around the game's mechanics I'm obsessed with getting as much as possible done within each of the game's days.

Hi Fi Rush continues to be fantastic. This game is the complete package. Great gameplay and art direction, charismatic characters, great vibes all around.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
So happy for GoT. Love that game. Unfortunately I can't add a +1 to that number, will have to wait.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Debian is always a good choice, I would say. I unfortunately cant help with centipede (fileu), havent heard of it before. maybe the other linux users here know more?

as for an internet download manager that can download videos from the browser? unsure here either, but for youtube and other streaming sites (not DRM-protected ones like netflix, however), I can recommend GitHub - aandrew-me/ytDownloader: A modern GUI App for downloading Videos and Audios from hundreds of sites
Well its mainly an issue with admin priv but I can't figure out how to run it in terminal or do it in the GUI and googling is..worthless for this. Maybe its a VMware issue or something. Worked fine in ubuntu but I don't like this flavor.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Question regarding Steam in Steam thread (how unusual). How does steam key generation work these days? I see in Steamworks documentation that every game gets automatic default of 5000 keys and any more have to be manually requested and approved. I assume nothing changed and non-scammer developers/publishers can still request as many keys as they need, and Valve gets no monetary cut from sale of those?

Hypothetically, could e.g. Sony sell Steam keys for its games on its own site (such as this one Latest | Official PlayStation™Store US ) ?

Obviously they are selling steam keys on GMG, Humble, CDKeys (nonauthorized, I know) etc, but could they do it on their own site?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
"Our product is desired! We can't and won't talk about exact numbers, but be assured that they are strong! So many people can't be wrong, preorder the game yourself to be able to also experience this desirable product!"
Meanwhile Indie devs:

Hey we have over 20k wishlist, people have interested in our game.

Also: hey it's been less than a week and we sold over 200k units!!! Thanks everyone.

Yeah it's small in the grand scheme of things but I do find it cool how Indie devs do get excited about stuff like that and will even share numbers to show that people are interested in their game. It's a competitive space but knowing that people are actually taking an interest in something that you worked on always gives you a good feeling.

Which is why review numbers are also shared by indie devs. Yes you may get a lot of overwhelming positive reviews compared to say games that have a higher score on MC or something similar. But the main point is that it's also were people go to talk about how much they liked the game. Where do you do that for AAA console games?

(I was going to say more stuff but I lost my train of thought and started this post hours ago.

Question regarding Steam in Steam thread (how unusual). How does steam key generation work these days? I see in Steamworks documentation that every game gets automatic default of 5000 keys and any more have to be manually requested and approved. I assume nothing changed and non-scammer developers/publishers can still request as many keys as they need, and Valve gets no monetary cut from sale of those?

Hypothetically, could e.g. Sony sell Steam keys for its games on its own site (such as this one Latest | Official PlayStation™Store US ) ?

Obviously they are selling steam keys on GMG, Humble, CDKeys (nonauthorized, I know) etc, but could they do it on their own site?
They already do, but it's sort of hidden.

You can buy a Steam Key for Helldivers 2 directly from Sony.

This is nothing new and all of the major publishers do this already. One of the main benefits of buying it directly from the publishers is if they have a rewards program of their own. Which is sort of what Steam Points were supposed to be. Look at SE if you wanted to buy Nier Automata and get the Pre-order DLC for the game you had to buy it directly from them, which is why their version of the game never went on sale since it contained that pre-order DLC. Which I would say is a smart way of going about it.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I've updated my Manjaro installation to Plasma 6 and the latest kernels etc, and after an initial hiccup (Wayland wouldnt render a desktop, so I switched back to X11) and some performance problems (Dishonoured 2, which ran smoothly prior, suddendly stuttered all over the place; but this resolved magically after a restart) its all fine now.
I have two things holding me back
  • I'm a heavy user of Desktop Grid on screen edge, which is unreachable in 6.0 (fixed in 6.1).
  • I'm a heavy user of Bismuth, an autotiling window manager extension for KWin, which is X11-only, and Polonium, its Wayland replacement, is buggy and lacks features.

Once 6.1 is out I'll probably just grit my teeth, update, and deal with Polonium as-is :shrugblob:

I wonder however if Wayland will ever actually replace X11 ;)
Sure it will; it's a bootstrapping / chicken-and-egg problem. Nobody uses product P unless it's good enough, and it's not good enough unless lots of people use and maintain it. Now that it's good enough to use for most people, and default in many distribs, things should quickly fall into place.

Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of vigorous debate in come circles. All I know is my gut says "maybe".

--------------------------
Since you mentioned Manjaro;

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
The vibes in Crow Country are so good. Love it so far
It was one of the surprises for me this year so far. I loved the whole aesthetic, the sound design, puzzles and the park layout.

The enemies while not posing much threat had an interesting design. The plot and the side characters worked well specially
Julie the lawyer

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Gonna travel a bit more this summer and there will be quite a lot of dead time I see, so last week I ordered and yesterday I received a 256 sd card for my Steam Deck. Gonna fill it up with Steam Verified "one and done" games.

First vacation I can continue with my backlog when Im not at home. :p

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Fall Guy is a fantastic movie. Can't believe it flopped.
It's a pretty decent movie. Some stuff in it could be better but over it's an enjoyable movie.

Also as far as licenced music in movies go I feel like I need to look more into it, but I don't think we get that many 90s songs in movies. It's usually 80s or earlier rock music. That's licenced to hell and back. Which is one of the reasons I feel embarrassed playing some of those songs in public. Since they are "too mainstream" since people are used to hearing them in movies and in ads.

Hey guys let's play some AC/DC !!!!!!!!!!! Or Queen!!!! How about Led Zeppelin instead then!!!

-----------------------
It's finally happening RIP PS.

If you remember back in 2013 there was that Japanese kid saying "what's an Xbox?". Well that already happened in Japan again for PlayStation.

Data backs this claim up, how accurate that data is, is another story.

Even in smaller groups. I read an article (and it even says don't look at it for statistics because it's an insanely small sample size) but out of 6-12 kids ( I have to read it again). All of them except 1 mainly plays on Switch, the odd one out plays on PC instead. There was 1 kid who's family had an Xbox and 1 kid who had a PS4.

It looks like even the PS4 kid didn't know what PlayStation was. And maybe his parents call it PS4 but since maybe his friends don't play on one, he doesn't pay it much attention. Some kids were surprised that Sony even made a console.

Kids don't listen to Nintendo. They buy Nintendo products but they don't pay attention (or seem to care) about Nintendo ads. So those family ads seem to be for parents and not kids.

Nintendo is doing a piss poor job at promoting Indie games in Japan. Basically all their indie stuff is really just preaching to the choir stuff and not trying to expand the reach of indie games. Figures.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
If I'm bored of the formula by the original, why would I play a knockoff?
This effectively makes this the most successful single-player PlayStation release ever, since GoW launched at 49.99 and GoT was released at 59.99 and had a whole PSN controversy around it. I firmly believe that Bloodborne on Steam would break the 100k CCU mark for sure.

P.S: It's so cool that Alex Battaglia from DF follows you on Twitter lol
👀

Alex is good people

• This!
Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

The ninjas were deployed.
Definitely seems like they all flew too close to the sun. If there really is many people playtesting this thing right now then there has to be some type of NDAs for it. At the very least for not sharing footage so they all dumb for posting screens lol.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were posting fake or incomplete info as well.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
This is one of the coolest puzzle games i've ever played

I cannot put into words how engaging it is.

It's like Resident Evil 2 without the Zombies.

Just a shit ton of unique, well designed, and tightly interlocked puzzles.

All wrapped up in an asthetic and narrative mixing Suda51, Silent Hill and Twin Peaks.

This is the amounts of notes i took while playing

can't remember the last game that made me do that

Absolute GOTY material

Cool thing is, the game is very, very fleeflow for like the first 2/3rds of the game, so if you can't figure something out, you can just do one of the others and come back later, which prevents frustration from ever occuring, because you will always be short before the next moment that makes you feel like an absolute brainiac. It's the Elden Ring of puzzle games. It has unlockable shortcuts too.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Small but neat (well I think so!) story from this weekend I wanted to share.
I was in London over the weekend to see the Spirited Away stage show (tldr is good show, shit seat for such a high price), and while killing time exploring I went to Japan House, a sort of Japanese cultural arts venue.

In it there was an exhibition on about product design, and in a "the world is rather small" kind of way one familiar name appeared; Tetsuya Mizuguchi of Rez and Tetris Effect fame.
It was mostly focused on the Yamaha transacoustic piano but his gaming work was mentioned too.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
7th studio!?
Original = Ghent (Belgium)
2nd = Quebec City (Canada)
3rd = Dublin (Ireland)
4th = Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
5th = Guildford (United Kingdom)
6th = Barcelona (Spain)
7th = Warsaw (Poland) <- WE ARE HERE

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Hellblade 2 is releasing tomorrow and NO ONE is talking about it.

I feel like Microsoft is saving on Marketing for this game because they're planning to shatter Ninja Theory next but at least wanna push the game out quickly first.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
Hellblade 2 is releasing tomorrow and NO ONE is talking about it.

I feel like Microsoft is saving on Marketing for this game because they're planning to shatter Ninja Theory next but at least wanna push the game out quickly first.
I am planning pausing my Ghosts of Tsushima run to play through Hellblade since it isn't supposed to be too long.

Reactions: thekeats1999
Status
Not open for further replies.