Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I think the primary data they want to collect is just a number going up. As in "look shareholders, look at that PSN user growth!".
Playstation had a big spike in MAUs last year going from 107 million to 123 million in a single quarter while hovering around the ~100 million mark for years. Their Q3 2023 numbers were even higher than their COVID peak. This is thanks primarily to Roblox and Fortnite. Just from what public data is available, Fortnite has cooled off quite a bit since then which means PSN has also probably cooled off. As HD2 was a massive viral hit, Sony wants to keep those numbers as high as possible.

Reactions: PC-tan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Currently into Voidigo. Very good roguelike. After that, I will tackle on some "one and done" games again. Played the first level of Pennys Big Breakaway this week and I liked it a lot.

Reactions: Alexandros

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Resetera is just very bad.

Stuff keeps changing and being made worse.

An example is if you look up threads they have the Reset Extra thing which just gathers news stories from multiple publications.

It doesn't even show information it's just a link......they must be very strapped for money if they are resorting to that on top of having an optional paid membership.

What did the company that purchased rest era think was going to happen? That it would be insanely profitable or something?

I have issues with reset era but at least you could go on there to get a general idea of stuff, the worst part with these types of post is that they all talk about the exact same thing.

It's just dumb. In the past if you checked for the Helldivers news you would have seen maybe 2 post at max but now you can expect something like 6+ of the exact same article without proving anything new of actual substance.
---------

Let me give another example. On eta if you look at Hell blade PC specs thread, the first one posted was a user thread and following that are 7!!!!!!!!!!!! Post from publications about the exact same thing.... It's really pointless since you can check it yourself and I doubt those others sites have anything useful to share. Do they have an exclusive interview with one of the devs or something? Like I mentioned it's dumb.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
What really makes me angry about this kind of thing is how it is communicated in a way which makes it clear that whoever designed this communication thinks that their customers are idiots.
No, you are not doing this because of the flimsy reasons you pretend you are doing this for. It's perfectly possible to ban people from your game on Steam without linking an external account.
You are doing this because you want to use the (for you) unprecedented success of this live service game to try and pull more people into your ecosystem.
At least don't make up spurious justifications for it.
"PSN MAU's have risen 200% in this quarter, that just shows how awesome and desirable the Sony Console environment is!"*

*all MAU increases come from PC

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Resetera is just very bad.
It is. My favorite part is how the console-centric gamers are finding it hilarious or even ridiculous that PC gamers are speaking out or voting with their wallets against business decisions that they don't like (Helldivers 2 PSN account requirement, Epic money hatting 3rd party games etc). Meanwhile they keep complaining about the paid multiplayer on consoles, but of course they all have a subscription. Incredible...

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
It is. My favorite part is how the console-centric gamers are finding it hilarious or even ridiculous that PC gamers are speaking out or voting with their wallets against business decisions that they don't like (Helldivers 2 PSN account requirement, Epic money hatting 3rd party games etc). Meanwhile they keep complaining about the paid multiplayer on consoles, but of course they all have a subscription. Incredible...
And now they are calling for the cancellation of Ironmouse because she was in contact with Asmongold and she tweeted she will stop HD2 gaming.. Fucking IRONMOUSE. She is the most wholesome Vtuber there is. She is bedridden with a rare disease.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
My favorite Resetera realization came out during one of the recent Steam threads there. It completely flew over my head fo months but the lightbulb suddenly went on: why do the console warriors kept writing things like "yeah Steam is doing great, but what happens when Gabe dies?", "Steam is independent, but who knows what will happen after Gabe" or "You may like current Steam, but we'll see what happens with the next CEO"

It was so blatant I don't know how I missed it, especially since posts like these became much more frequent this year. Deep inside since they know that current Valve/Gabe Newell will never fuck up Steam enough to damage it's """monopoly""" they are actually hoping for Gabe to die and for someone else to fuck up Valve in some way, wheter by outright buying Valve, or by making Valve public, or fucking up Steam's back end. There is no other explanation for how many times you see a "what about after" post. No other company gets it, no one ever posts "but what happens to Epic/Xbox/Playstation after Sweeney/Spencer/Totoki dies?". The hypocrisy in that forum is everywhere despite pretending to be better. Another case in point:
And now they are calling for the cancellation of Ironmouse because she was in contact with Asmongold and she tweeted she will stop HD2 gaming.. Fucking IRONMOUSE. She is the most wholesome Vtuber there is. She is bedridden with a rare disease.
Ah, Resetera and hating female Vtubers. Name a more iconic duo. Nothing wrong with harrassing a woman streamer simply because she choose live as an anime avatar

• This!
Reactions: Line and Cacher

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I have seen three separate czech game journalists on twitter post something to the effect of "moron gamers again whining about inconsequential stuff" and I just shake my head at what happened to journalism as a profession. Bootlicking the corporations and insulting their own audience. No attempt to even try to understand the issue.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Do you know Young Scrolls? He made a very small musical video named Dagothwave which, well, let's say I don't think there is someone who plays ES and hasn't heard it at least once

Well Moon and Stars, come and look upon this soundtrack replacer. Think it's the usual shiposty song? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. Shame on you sweet Dragonborns. He is a God after all. How can you surpass a God?

LORKHAN - Soundtrack Replacer

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
A bonafide, super rare live service hit game that worked perfectly for everyone 2 days ago is now unavailable in a third of the world and has racked up 100k negative reviews. All because they wanted to harvest more data. What a backfire. And this action taken on a Saturday night... was it done unilaterally by Valve? Did Arrowhead do it? Did Sony actually do it?

The best part about all this is that the Sony fanboys are absolutely losing their minds over all this happening. It's hilarious and brilliant and an absolute joy to witness their despair and anger. Incidentally, Resetera is absolutely infested with Sony fanboys so for once that forum has actually been super entertaining to read. They keep having to lock threads because the monkeys are flinging too much shit at each other :D

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Wtf is Sony doing?

I swear any little GaaS success leads to these companies losing their minds.

Just be normal and keep collecting money from gamers. That is all you had to do but no they need to fucking harvest data and force people to create some useless accounts.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
LMAO this is one the biggest fuckups I've seen next to the whole Cyberpunk Launch debacle. Now HD2 is not available in my country but I bought it at launch. I'm downloading it right now to see if this works.

I created a PSN account but I had to lie and say that live in the US, hopefully, this doesn't mean that future PS Ports are going to be region blocked in my country because I'll be extremely angry about that.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I have seen three separate czech game journalists on twitter post something to the effect of "moron gamers again whining about inconsequential stuff" and I just shake my head at what happened to journalism as a profession. Bootlicking the corporations and insulting their own audience. No attempt to even try to understand the issue.
It's been an issue for a while now. Ever since industry people started using the word "gamers" as a pejorative, it has become fashionable among the games industry to openly show contempt and disdain towards the audience. It is a phenomenon that troubles me because it makes it seem like the relationship between developers and gamers is an adversarial one.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Another good one from this forum xD

Lol, these comments are something else. What kind of person are they to develop such a deep hate for fellow gamers because they can play Sony's 1st party games on their platform of choice?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I think that people really don't have a clue how big GTA VI will be. One f-ing trailer influenced mainstream things so much, just one f-ing trailer.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Me sleeping knowing that i don't have to pay for online gaming because gamers always whine about inconsequential stuff

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
That's the problem I have with some of the discourse on this. People saying it is inconsequential and not worth complaining about. But the problem is once you accept it they take a little bit more each time. You give them an inch and they take a mile.

The other is the, Oh you have had to do it for other games before. Outside of an MMO I have complained about all the previous accounts and I will complain about all the upcoming accounts I need to create.

On more positive, I actually do play games other than FFXIV and Stardew Valley. I have been playing this recently.

Easiest way I can describe it is Dorfromantik with a Tower Defence game instead of chilled out city builder. Been a lot of fun so far, but I do have a soft spot for Tower Defence games.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Me sleeping knowing that i don't have to pay for online gaming because gamers always whine about inconsequential stuff

Yeah, whenever someone says that PC gamers are too "whiny" or anything like that I really feel like pointing out that we are the ones not paying for peer to peer online gaming.

(And we're also the ones who can, for the most part, just play 15 year old games in higher resolution by launching them from our library, rather than paying for a "remaster" for our new box)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
The discourse whenever some dev/publishers does something stupid and console players and "journalists" complain about and/or laugh at "whiny" PC players pushing back instead of being grateful for being shit on is always completely bizarre.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah, whenever someone says that PC gamers are too "whiny" or anything like that I really feel like pointing out that we are the ones not paying for peer to peer online gaming.

(And we're also the ones who can, for the most part, just play 15 year old games in higher resolution by launching them from our library, rather than paying for a "remaster" for our new box)
Remember when Rocksteady released Batman Arkham Knight and people complained? Remember when Take2 went after GTA IV modding and people complained? There are tons of examples where publishers tried sh*tty thing to do and PC community reacted to stop them. While on consoles for the most part people just accept whatever Sony/MS/Nintendo do because they don't have ways to influence them.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Who on this entire planet has no clue how big GTA 6 will be? It's GTA lol
People know it will be big but i really believe that will be something we never saw it before regarding popularity. I wouldn't exclude PSN/Xbox Live going down at launch XD

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I told you there would have been funny meltdowns after the HD2 announcement and I've not been disappointed. This weekend has been a true goldmine
My personal favorite has been the "love me some janky amateur fan created content" poll. It's even funnier when that thread confirms the staunchest Suicide Squad defender was a troll all along. But hey there are still 12 hours before the weekend is over. I'm sure something funnier may still appear there

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It's fascinating to see people cheer for corporations to screw them over (I remember when we were Splatoon 2 and having a good time, and the next day the Nintendo Online kicked in... gotta pay now! Why? Because it's not a lot of money, you know, and you get garbage emulators for a handful of old games!), but honestly it tells a lot about how dystopias happen. It's never some nefarious plot of evil techbros (despite them trying their best to make it look like it), it's people yearning for the bitcoin mines.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
This Helldivers thing is unreal. My general attitude is, idgaf about yet another dumb account to link. I have a bunch of games that required a stupid useless account signup. And surely Sony will figure out a way to accomodate those in countries where PSN isn't supported -- someone must have thought of that before release, right?? RIGHT? I can't fault the backlash, but the backlash seemed disproportionately huge this time. Was it because Helldivers is so popular? Because of general disdain for Sony?
But now how they've delisted the game from those countries is so gross. And if you've ever dealt with Sony customer support, you know that they are 100% incompetent and simply don't give a fuck.
The response from the developer has been great. I really feel sorry for those guys. A breakout hit like this is a huge achievement, and Sony is tanking their success. The worst part is, I don't see Sony learning a thing from this based on their past record.
I was planning on buying this game, but if the community is leaving, it seems pointless. And I've read some off putting things about their kernel level anticheat (for a PvE game, give me a fucking break). We'll see how this all unfolds ...

Reactions: PC-tan and Cacher
Dec 5, 2018
To this day I still find it wild that you have to pay for online when you're basically giving them money for nothing (they throw some old games so it feels you're getting something in return but really most people won't even touch those games more than a few minutes).

And It's a scam when you can play F2P games w/o paying for that.

P.S:Still remember when sony made that you can trade your ps4 games (when we heard all about xbox drm) and people were "cheering" while sony was announcing that you needed to pay for paid online at the same time.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Also just saw this. Damn.

Edit: Arrowhead is not innocent or blameless on the matter, but damn this is so sad to see. Years of work destroyed by such rushed decision.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

200,000 negative reviews lol.

I feel like throwing up a negative review of my own. I have so many more issues with the game in addition to this PSN bullshit.
Wait for later, or your legit review will be dumped into the review bomb hole...