Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
In the end, PC gaming was fine without Sony games and will continue to be, while Sony without PC will have issues.
There is no reason to think Sony will backtrack on their PC expansion strategy because of this. They will be clearer going forward that you will need a PSN account though, even for their single player games.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Wait for later, or your legit review will be dumped into the review bomb hole...
You reckon Valve will memory hole this as a review bombing incident? I wonder if that is done manually with some understanding of the context or if it's just automated based on the number of negative reviews appearing on the store in a short period of time.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
There is no reason to think Sony will backtrack on their PC expansion strategy because of this. They will be clearer going forward that you will need a PSN account though, even for their single player games.
As far as I can tell, the whole Sony on PC thing was to bring their games to places Playstation can't reach, blocking all those countries is just insane, they thought they could pull a console, and since people paid to have a console on unsupported markets, they had no choice but to region hop PSN, If Sony want PC people to sign for PSN on those markets,they gonna have to legally enter then, and this means hiring people and paying taxes, so, IMO, Sony gonna backtrack.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Dumb stuff but me asking a question to something I still don't understand even after 10+ years

Feel free to ignore.

I still don't understand what ganergate is/was. I say something from that one Sweet Baby group people saying something about how Helldivers 2 is part of Ganergate 2. So what exactly was ? Or was it just a think where gaming journalist didn't care about what video game enthusiast thought and only cared about their own point of view and were very buddy buddy with game devs and stuff? So with Helldivers 2 would this be part of something along the lines of games journalist and also Community Managers and others saying how all of this is being blown out of proportion and how it just requires you to make an extra account that is free?

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
They won't backtrack but they will need to change if they want to push account integration. Especially mandatory one.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Dumb stuff but me asking a question to something I still don't understand even after 10+ years

Feel free to ignore.

I still don't understand what ganergate is/was. I say something from that one Sweet Baby group people saying something about how Helldivers 2 is part of Ganergate 2. So what exactly was ? Or was it just a think where gaming journalist didn't care about what video game enthusiast thought and only cared about their own point of view and were very buddy buddy with game devs and stuff? So with Helldivers 2 would this be part of something along the lines of games journalist and also Community Managers and others saying how all of this is being blown out of proportion and how it just requires you to make an extra account that is free?
Wikipedia has a pretty detailed explanation of how it all broke down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_(harassment_campaign)

Ultimately, it is/was all just a harassment campaign targeting women and other minorities that are active in gaming. From developers, to journalists and everything else that got across their cross hairs.
"It's about ethics in journalism" become a meme, as it was something that gamergaters kept saying throughout their harassment campaigns.

The Sweet Baby nonsense feels to me more like a conspiracy theory, that this tiny consulting company somehow is responsible for all the "bad" things they identify in gaming. Primarily women being portrayed as actual people, or minorities appearing in games, etc. People calling it Gamergate 2.0 are just pointing out the obvious similarity that this is all just aimed to target hate and harassment at developers.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
As far as I can tell, the whole Sony on PC thing was to bring their games to places Playstation can't reach, blocking all those countries is just insane, they thought they could pull a console, and since people paid to have a console on unsupported markets, they had no choice but to region hop PSN, If Sony want PC people to sign for PSN on those markets,they gonna have to legally enter then, and this means hiring people and paying taxes, so, IMO, Sony gonna backtrack.
Nope. Even without those countries the PC revenue has to be substantial enough to be worth it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Wikipedia has a pretty detailed explanation of how it all broke down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_(harassment_campaign)

Ultimately, it is/was all just a harassment campaign targeting women and other minorities that are active in gaming. From developers, to journalists and everything else that got across their cross hairs.
"It's about ethics in journalism" become a meme, as it was something that gamergaters kept saying throughout their harassment campaigns.

The Sweet Baby nonsense feels to me more like a conspiracy theory, that this tiny consulting company somehow is responsible for all the "bad" things they identify in gaming. Primarily women being portrayed as actual people, or minorities appearing in games, etc. People calling it Gamergate 2.0 are just pointing out the obvious similarity that this is all just aimed to target hate and harassment at developers.
Which is why I'm confused as to why they are even mentioning this stuff and what's currently happening to Helldivers.

The only connection if at all is something to do with some one from Arrow head saying that they are glad that it's happening since she is able to ban people. But that's just one person (an outlier?) and that it somehow has to do with why Helldivers 2 has gotten a lot of negative reviews.

It's just weird

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Which is why I'm confused as to why they are even mentioning this stuff and what's currently happening to Helldivers.

The only connection if at all is something to do with some one from Arrow head saying that they are glad that it's happening since she is able to ban people. But that's just one person (an outlier?) and that it somehow has to do with why Helldivers 2 has gotten a lot of negative reviews.

It's just weird
Because every time a corporation does some fucked up shit or just some plain anti-consumer stuff,
corporate bootlickers will try to undermine the issue with calling the critics "PC gaming Masterrace (the console warriors are the only ones who still use that word unironically) or Gamergate scum.
Then they find that one tweet or discord message that attacks someone personally, makes a sexist remark or a death threat to a dev and tries the "you will be just as bad as this one example I found after days of controversy if you still badmouth my lovable corporation"

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I still can't believe Sony did all this stupid shit over a 40$ multiplayer game. They destroyed so much goodwill around the world over stupid PSN requirement. And this isn't even a true first party game since they don't own the dev. On top of pissing off consumers they piss of the dev too. This is almost sabotage levels of being careless.

And Ghost of Tsushima also requires it for the multiplayer mode wtf :cautious:

Like why tho? They have to understand that millions of PC gamers don't play on consoles and couldn't give much of a shit about PSN. It provides nothing of value. And many couldn't care even if they wanted to since its not available in all regions.

This should have been some special optional thing that actually links your PS5 or PS4 with said game on PC to receive some skins or in-game currency. Instead they really shoving this thing down peoples throat thinking there wouldn't be complaints.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
But how can this be? I though this was the first step to create the Playstation Launcher that would put a stop to Valve's monopoly? Why is Sony bending the knee to a bunch of ungrateful bullies that don't pay 80 bucks a year to play online? If only someone forced Steam to remove reviews this would have never happened!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Because every time a corporation does some fucked up shit or just some plain anti-consumer stuff,
corporate bootlickers will try to undermine the issue with calling the critics "PC gaming Masterrace (the console warriors are the only ones who still use that word unironically) or Gamergate scum.
Then they find that one tweet or discord message that attacks someone personally, makes a sexist remark or a death threat to a dev and tries the "you will be just as bad as this one example I found after days of controversy if you still badmouth my lovable corporation"
So it's people just trying to connect dots to something completely unrelated then.

As far as the whole Helldivers 2 thing, I wonder if at least by Monday we will be hearing about what is going to happen. Or at least some time by next week.

Something interesting that someone pointed out was how despite the news the the player base didn't seem to dip that much. I am not sure if they provide a number or more specifically at what time they checked. After all I think it was a Saturday and the US is a big portion of the player base isn't it? So there could be a number of reasons why despite the reviews themselves becoming very negative very quickly the actual player base didn't dip much based off the time that the person checked those numbers. By the way it looks like it peaks at 1PM PST. Which is 4PM EST or 20:00 UTC

(Old stuff I meant to post a few hours ago.

Also looking at stuff I'm guessing it was Steam who did the region lock stuff until they could get stuff sorted out with Sony since it would require them to then give a lot of refunds in the future If those people couldn't make accounts.

-----------+++++-----

By the way it looks like Famitsu actually covered the news.

Crazy enough it looks like Gamespark didn't cover the news the only covered the news about new DLC for Helldivers 2 but not the PSN thing, which if you looked at the comments are also mentioning how they are surprised that's not being covered since that's pretty big news and caused a bunch of turmoil.

Now to check if 4Gamers, Automata and others have covered the news as well.

Reactions: Cacher and Mor

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Just a huge unforced error.
Like, by just making it optional and offering some in-game incentive to sign up would have gone down without any (non-technical) issue. Like some armor skin or some amount of that season pass currency. But instead of that they chose to offer bullshit "safety and security" excuse. 🤦‍♂️

Maybe they wouldn't have gotten all of the players to sign up to goose their MAU, but x% of all is better than 0%. Feels like companies need to learn this over and over again.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The moment that Valve actually allowed people to refund the game over this, plus Sony region-blocking the game retroactively (for new buyers at least), it was clear that this was an untenable position and would have tanked the game future sales and revenue. This way there is still a chance of the game having decent legs.
Not sure why Sony chose such a heavy handed method. All you'd need to do is give people a big goodie for free if they sign-up to PSN (if they actually can), and you'd still get a couple million new users easily.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
I mean, wouldn't the launcher be limited to ~70 countries ? since it need to rely on the ducktaped PSN back end.
It doesn't matter BOZO

It's NOT FAIR that PC players get all these games. I pay for online, I sub for the games. Ive pre-ordered the pro already. It's not fucking fair, Sony!

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I finished Another Crab's Treasure, and despite some bugs I quite enjoyed it. a colorful soulslike was a nice surprise, and even though I was stomping the later bosses it was still fun.

The whole game felt like a love letter for the Souls games, and may be a perfect entry point for people interested in the genre.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I finished Another Crab's Treasure, and despite some bugs I quite enjoyed it. a colorful soulslike was a nice surprise, and even though I was stomping the later bosses it was still fun.

The whole game felt like a love letter for the Souls games, and may be a perfect entry point for people interested in the genre.
I have it installed through Game Pass. Never invest time into a souls game before (just the prologue of the first Dark Souls), this may become my entry point to the genre.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It doesn't matter BOZO

It's NOT FAIR that PC players get all these games. I pay for online, I sub for the games. Ive pre-ordered the pro already. It's not fucking fair, Sony!

When I saw this scene in theaters about a month ago I was surprised that more people weren't laughing. I think more people laughed at that one scene in Spiderman 2 where JJona says "Are you serious" while laughing

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
This whole Helldivers thing was such a clusterfuck.

Finished The Walking Dead Definitive Series. What a ride. I'm glad I finally saw it through after loving the first season back in 2012.
Man, I miss Clementine already. They did kinda drop the ball with her ending, but overall it was great.

Reactions: PC-tan and Cacher

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I have it installed through Game Pass. Never invest time into a souls game before (just the prologue of the first Dark Souls), this may become my entry point to the genre.
It really is the perfect game for people that want to try souls-likes, being able to pause the game and change on the fly everything that makes the experience frustrating should be industry standard.
Ain't no reason why other souls games don't have that, it's not like super difficult platformers and puzzle games don't come with a mountain of options to do just that, like Celeste. And it's not like the experience is any different for people that don't want to use options.

Reactions: Cacher and LEANIJA

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
Sorry for referencing the other site so constantly but it's funny seeing some people twist themselves in shapes trying to defend Sony and somehow twist this as a bad thing. Using terms like gamers as a bad thing.

Stand up for yourselves and you might not be paying a third of the consoles price each year to play FIFA online against 12 year olds screaming down the mic.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
This does not exist in the console vocabulary.

Consume, then get excited for next product.
It's even worse.

Anytime something happens and (PC) gamers blow back against it, they unironically post
"GAMERS rise up! /s"
"PCMR at its finest"
"Capital G gamers, am I right?"
"Sephiroth69xxx with 3 followers just attacked a female dev on Twitter, NOW we really know what this is about!"

The most cringy posts in the last weekend where the conspiracy theorists, that proclaimed that this is an attack on Sony specifically, because PC gamers are okay with EA, Ubisoft, and Rockstar linking/launchers

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Sorry for referencing the other site so constantly but it's funny seeing some people twist themselves in shapes trying to defend Sony and somehow twist this as a bad thing. Using terms like gamers as a bad thing.

Stand up for yourselves and you might not be paying a third of the consoles price each year to play FIFA online against 12 year olds screaming down the mic.
There's a reason the majority of people here left that paper is all im saying.

I mean there are multiple reasons but the constant console warrior mentality was a big one for me.

Reactions: Cacher and Lashley

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
For the games industry the ideal customer is the one that buys everything and doesn't complain about anything. This is why they object to any form of pushback or complaint. Don't complain on social media because it's toxic, don't leave bad user reviews because it hurts sales of the game, don't vote with your wallet because developers count on sales to get their bonuses. If you are unhappy with the product or service being offered, the only acceptable form of protest is sitting in silence and feeling slightly miffed for a bit. Anything more than that is you being a 'capital g Gamer TM'.