Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
There is some irony in that this very week the news of Death Stranding coming to PC came with a lot of bitter fanboys lamenting the value they've lost, while the news of what is arguably the best game of the year -- Disco Elysium -- coming to consoles was welcomed by those who have played it. And now these reviews.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
There is some irony in that this very week the news of Death Stranding coming to PC came with a lot of bitter fanboys lamenting the value they've lost, while the news of what is arguably the best game of the year -- Disco Elysium -- coming to consoles was welcomed by those who have played it. And now these reviews.
The tone differences from DS to PC and DE to consoles is very different lol.

Reactions: Chudah

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So from what I read Death Stranding ends on a 2hr cutscene and its like 40-50hrs long. GB compared it to American Truck simulator lmao.

I always wondered what MGS4 would review like in todays shitty anger filled clickbaity landscape.

84 meta is definitely several points lower than I thought it would be tho. But there are a lot of perfect scores.

I am gonna need a bottle of Cognac and a lot of ice to get through this one. Bless you Kojima.

And I am going in completely blind after only seeing the first few teasers o_O

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I am gonna need a bottle of Cognac and a lot of ice to get through this one. Bless you Kojima.

And I am going in completely blind after only seeing the first few teasers o_O
have fun :)

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I don't want to get lynched so I'll just post here.

I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.
But isn't this every good open world game ever? I mean just last night I encounter the exact same situation on Outer Worlds. It is what I expect from open world games.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I don't want to get lynched so I'll just post here.

But isn't this every good open world game ever? I mean just last night I encounter the exact same situation on Outer Worlds. It is what I expect from open world games.
Sounds like a thing that happens to you when you run into an enemy outpost in every FC since the second game. Maybe Kojima added some interactivity on top, which is great, but the specific encounter doesn't sound any different than what you get in majority open world games nowadays.

Last edited:

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
I dislike open world games and think they are all bad.
Except Disco Elysium, although I have to say I'm not entirely sure why ZA/UM even calls it an open world game.

Maybe Death Stranding will change that, when it eventually comes to PC.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
The difference is that they're all random side things, usually unrelated to the main objective. It's all usually just optional stuff, right?

The journey in Death Stranding, however, isn't optional - it's stuff that happens to you while trying to reach your objective. It's about being dealt a bad hand and dealing with it. That's what is interesting. It's not about "Oh, I see something to the side that I want to investigate" - it's about "How the heck can I get through this area?!". Everything that happens along the road is part of that mission rather than optional things.
Uhhhh.... Sounds like open world game...?

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Uh, no?

Almost every single open world game (even the ones people consider "good") from the past two decades is about moving from point A to point B, generally as fast as you can. The space between Crow's Perch and Novigrad in TW3 is not a space where you're going to be having emergent gameplay experience. You're just trying to get from the quest giver to the quest objectives.

The only open world games that focus on the "journey" between the points that I can think of are probably RDR2 and BotW (both of which I immensely dislike actually). I suppose you could argue, and I wouldn't necessarily be against this argument, that all open world games besides those two are actually bad and would be better off without their open worlds.

My personal feeling is that playing DS will give me the same feeling those other aforementioned two games gave me: awe and immersion at the emergent gameplay early on (Whoa! Being robbed on the road in RDR2 and Whoa! Discovering shrines and plotting a map in BotW), but after a while, it'll become boring and a poor substitute for a crafted storytelling experience.
Actually I just replaying BotW atm so maybe that's why I feel that those reviews doesn't seem something that makes DS special.

And Easy Allies agree with you

The same is largely true of dealing with MULE camps or sneaking past BTs. MULEs hunt you down since they're obsessed with stealing whatever cargo you're carrying. They can catch you off guard, especially if you're in a zen-like state while peacefully delivering packages. Yet whatever excitement could pop up in these encounters deflates upon discovering how quickly MULEs crumble. Small armies of them can be dealt with by only using a rope. It's practically an identical situation with BTs. How they're presented is legitimately unsettling. Trudging around these often invisible, otherworldly forces is an excellent concept, as is the fact that they chase after you through handprints they aggressively stomp into the ground. Yet despite the effective presentation, they're really not much of a threat. As long as you move quietly and efficiently hold your breath, there's little worry of being caught. The game doesn't dramatically change things up with BTs either. Once you know how to get past them, they're simple to circumvent every time. Death Stranding has a tendency of making something look interesting without necessarily following through.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Look guys, everything Kojima did is REVOLUTIONARY. Doesn't matter if it's already been done in most of other open world games.

REVOLUTIONARY, goddamnit.

:dana_blanket: :dana_blanket: :dana_blanket:
Give it a few months, and everyone will shat on DS like everyone did with MGSV. Only this time it seems the core gameplay doesn't hold a candle to V, so, we might've stuck with the boring open world.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The only red review 35/100 on Meta mentions in the quote how publishers shouldn't give developers money to create art.

That is a real shitty way to push the gaming industry forward.

Taking handcuffs off creators is for the better imo.

This year Refn delivered with TOTDY imo. One of the more interesting and weird shows I've watched.

Joker was one of the best films of the year despite going against the grain of everything that is modern day comic book films.

And now Kojima does something similar with DS.

Funny how yesterday Schreier said Ubisoft won't greenlight games now unless devs are bringing something new to the table after the generic shitshow disaster that was Breakpoint. Yet people out there trying to hate on Kojima for creating something unique and interesting for once in the aaa space.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Ge0force Hella late, but I saw your posts on RE6 thanks to Ascheroth .

With RE6 you have to drop the idea that it's a shooter. In a lot of ways it's more of a "character action" game if you want the most enjoyment out of it.
For example, enemies stagger just like they do in RE4 and RE5, however they're not as pronounced & exaggerated as they are there. Your guns for the most part (Outside bigger boss enemies) should be used for nothing more than setting up finishers on enemies. Outside of Jake's Special Hand Combo, you'll never really use the regular melee button combos for more than crowd control.

Also don't forget that there are counters in this game to all melee attacks, an easy one to practice is the bloodshots who leap at you. Pressing the melee button when they're close to you as they leap is a one hit kill if it's a successful counter. There's a lore more I can talk about, but specifics will help me narrow down what you need help with most.

Regardless, I don't blame anyone for having trouble getting into RE6. Even I didn't like it at first when I played the demo way back on 360 since I thought it would just be the same title as Re5. It doesn't help that the tutorial for all the fun stuff is hidden on loading screens and not actually told to you in the game.
Thank you very much for the useful information m8! I'll give the game another chance tonight - despite having lost almond half an hour of progress because the game only saves at very few checkpoints. Who on earth thought this was a good idea? 🤔

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
I've finished the Outer Worlds(best $1 I've ever spent!), so I'm going to grab Disco Elysium this month, and the Sims 4: Discover University(because I can't control myself). I'm also tempted to grab Fallen Order as well, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Funny how yesterday Schreier said Ubisoft won't greenlight games now unless devs are bringing something new to the table after the generic shitshow disaster that was Breakpoint. Yet people out there trying to hate on Kojima for creating something unique and interesting for once in the aaa space.
I dunno man, it sounds like it has typical gameplay elements; empty open world, fetch quests, etc.
Like you can recycle Reedus' poop and urine into ammo/grenades and ish and that sounds like a funny ridiculous idea...but the 'allure' wears off quickly IMO.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Wooh! Yakuza Kiwami, now I know what I am going to play next :D
I'm sad because I really wanted to see the first Humble Choice now start with a bang. But then again, I wanted Kiwami and Soul :hugging-face:

Reactions: Deku

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
My time at Portia is available on PC gamepass FYI for those who are already subbed and curious to try it b4 doing the monthly.

I played it a bit and wasn't feeling it all that much. There is some addicting minecraft stuff in it and a lot of charm.

Don't care for Soul Calibur and Ima wait to see how cheap Kiwami gets during the coming steam sale.

Speaking of Gamepass I hope MS reveals the next batch of games for it b4 black friday and Winter sales start. Would like some more stuff taken off my steam wishlist b4 knowing what I really want to buy :)

Reactions: Dandy and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Well shit, NFS Heat is close. Not until I added it to my library from the Premier Acces vault did I realize it's out 5th nov.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I feel like Soul Calibur 6 just came out earlier this year. Turns out it was a year ago.

How forgettable the game was. People were waiting for it for a long time, and yet after it's out it's just.. there.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
My time at Portia is available on PC gamepass FYI for those who are already subbed and curious to try it b4 doing the monthly.

I played it a bit and wasn't feeling it all that much. There is some addicting minecraft stuff in it and a lot of charm.

Don't care for Soul Calibur and Ima wait to see how cheap Kiwami gets during the coming steam sale.

Speaking of Gamepass I hope MS reveals the next batch of games for it b4 black friday and Winter sales start. Would like some more stuff taken off my steam wishlist b4 knowing what I really want to buy :)
Nice! I've been curious about it for a while, so I might as well check it our before my $1 month expires.

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.