Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I'm sorry, but no. That's stupid.

It would be one thing if this type of attitude was applied consistently through the industry, but it's not.

Whenever e.g. Sony farts, "game journalists" will praise the everloving crap out of it.
When Valve does anything (often a really good thing for consumers, or the medium, or the industry) the first response is more often than not derision, or sometimes grudging acknowledgement.

I've tried for a long time to understand this and I think I figured out what it boils down to. Console companies and large publishers spend a lot of money on review events, conferences, and similar fluff. They write huge press releases and send them out for regurgitation by media. They buy traditional advertising, and lots of it. Overall, they (i) make game journalists feel like they matter, and (ii) sometimes also pay their bills.

Valve, on the other and, doesn't do huge marketing events. They don't fly out journalists and "personalities" for exclusive events on a regular basis. When they have something to announce or a statement to make then they just put it up where gamers can read it. They also don't (or, at least, far more rarely) make up elaborate lies to explain how they do things, or why they made specific decisions.

And that's what you see reflected in the media landscape.
It isn't stupid. I don't care what journalists say about another company. The only one that might get my goat in the gaming space is Nintendo, just because of how rabid their fans are feeding off cutesy shit and nostalgia. Nintendo is a ice cold ,capitalist to the core company, that's convinced people that they're a friend lol. (like Disney)

If you follow Kotaku and a few other sites, you might get that impression. Really, its only Nathan and Jason at Kotaku anyway. And Jason is the closest thing we have to a legitimate investigative journalist in gaming.

Reactions: lashman

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm well up for Half Life VR.

My only 'concern' is that after an hour or two in the VIVE it starts to feel hot and heavy and i need a break. If this is a 10-15 hours full length proper game it'll take me a while to get through it. Its not a big problem but sometimes you just want to blast through a game for a whole day!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I finished Stormland in three 3 hour sessions, no regrets. The game's not nearly as perfected as I hoped, I have many complaints about this or that yet when all was said and done it kept me engaged enough to do that so overall it's still one great VR experience. A sequel would be amazing but Insomniac is now a Sony studio, oh well. Well, I've not really finished yet, I have the end game stuff to finish at least once or twice to get the real ending or whatever so that should be maybe one more session but yeah. I only sweat in very active games like Pistol Whip (it's a riot, love it, Virtua Cop x Superhot with a rhythm layer I ignore, lol).

Last edited:

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
So it's true you can"t buy the Index with Steam funds?

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
VR is too expensive!

*proceeds to buy Xbox4 and PS5 on release date, complete with several games and online subscriptions, probably surpassing the cost of the cheapest VR and a decent PC.

I mean people are allowed to dislike VR but at least be congruent lol

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
To be fair, I can understand people being upset. I've seen many franchises I care about get thrown about to capitalize on fads and gimmicks, getting butchered in the proccess, but at the same time I've seen many franchises take legitimate stabs at doing something proper and new.

Having to buy some peripherals doesn't really make getting a brand new, proper Half Life game a monkey paw situation in my view, if that's what we get. There's always the risk of it just being yet another gimmicky VR game of course, but we'll only really know tomorrow, so I don't see how telling people to at least see the game before getting upset is fanboyism - hell I don't even really give a shit about HL or VR.

But eh, I'm not your mom.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's not, but there's certainly gimmicky VR games.
And there are gimmicky PC non VR games, it means nothing, one just doesn't play those and focuses on the good stuff one likes as always, it's not even worth mentioning, nobody's going to guarantee every single thing available from every random indie or big studio out there is actually a quality game in order to legitimize any platform or technology because that's not gonna be the case for any.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I have finished it on my Rift and I can't say I agree.

Unless I misunderstand the meaning of "gimmick".
Gimmick VR games to me are games that aren't exactly games as much as they are "pay money to fiddle with shit in a VR desk" games.
Batman is cool. If it was a free promotional game like the spiderman games (which aren't cool). Definitely crazy to charge that much for such a thing though.
Sure I can agree with that.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I don't believe that all those people won't have any interest if sometime in the future we have VR games like Ready Player One or SAO.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
There are no gimmicks in this VR device

I wasn't even aware there was a PS2 version of this lmao
I don't believe that all those people won't have any interest if sometime in the future we have VR games like Ready Player One or SAO.
I'm not interested in current VR tech but I'm suuuuuuper interested in whatever they do with the tech moving forward.

Super advanced VR tech is a childhood dream of mine.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Half-Life VR will review terribly

The game will flop

VR will be dead

Valve's confidence will shot to the point where we won't hear from them again for 30 years.

or

Alyx is a groundbreaking masterpiece

A VR only game wins GOTY beating out Cyberpunk, TLOU2, Elden Ring, BOTW2, Starfield and Doom eternal.

The entire industry is shook

The hate for Valve grows even more

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
By the time, L4D:Boomer is finally released, VR will have become very cheap. HL:Alyx is the start, which will boost the sales of VR gear, and then costs will decrease as more competitors enter the VR hardware market, and scale their production volume.

If I understand things correctly, one can already enjoy VR using a smartphone and a cardboard, or that Windows Mixed Reality gear for $300 or so.

Regarding space, at some point, it won't be an issue, as hardware will be miniaturized: one could imagine plugging the PC in some area outside and then putting the gear on. Hopefully, we will soon get to a point where you go outside, plug your smartphone in a cardboard, put the headset on and play, Maybe even stream the game with some cloud gaming technology, so that all you really need is a smartphone with Internet access.

The only case in which people will have to stay inside as they use their VR gear is when having some lewd time with some 360° interactive VR anime.

So now I have to get a completely sterile clean room for my expensive VR set and video card? The requirements for Half Life are out of control and white paint is a fad.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
VR is too expensive!

*proceeds to buy Xbox4 and PS5 on release date, complete with several games and online subscriptions, probably surpassing the cost of the cheapest VR and a decent PC.

I mean people are allowed to dislike VR but at least be congruent lol
The price is not the only entry block, there's also the space required to use it properly and the loss of awareness about what is going on outside.

Sure, VR is an interesting experiment, but, can't deny that it is more inconvenient than traditional gaming platforms.
Because of the added inconvenience, I can see why someone would say that VR is too expensive but still be willing to buy one of the next new consoles.

I dunno how many advancements have been made in the cheaper side of things, but with the possibility of side effects like disorientation/motion sickness, I wonder if it's even a good idea to go with the bare minimum.

Reactions: RionaaM and Wok

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I wasn't even aware there was a PS2 version of this lmao

I'm not interested in current VR tech but I'm suuuuuuper interested in whatever they do with the tech moving forward.

Super advanced VR tech is a childhood dream of mine.
Yeah, baby steps but needs to be done. Not just "lol VR".

Well the price is the major gatekeeper.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The price is not the only entry block, there's also the space required to use it properly and the loss of awareness about what is going on outside.

Sure, VR is an interesting experiment, but, can't deny that it is more inconvenient than traditional gaming platforms.
Because of the added inconvenience, I can see why someone would say that VR is too expensive but still be willing to buy one of the next new consoles.

I dunno how many advancements have been made in the cheaper side of things, but with the possibility of side effects like disorientation/motion sickness, I wonder if it's even a good idea to go with the bare minimum.
Sure, but the writing was on the wall. Valve has been investing heavily on VR. It was a matter of time before a game from them came out. And we will probably see Portal, Left 4 Dead and many others have a VR game.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
VR is great, waiting for the matrix tech (not gonna happen, not while you live) to jump in is like saying back in 1998, meh, not interested in Half-Life, I'll wait for 30XX GPU power & Half-Life 3. Or like not being interested in console video games before dual analog was a thing. Yeah better tech will bring more things to the table but the existing great games are worth playing and well polished just as those games were worth playing then (and often still are despite outdated technology). It's not like Wii where it doesn't quite work as it should and doesn't detect your intent, there are already established core standards in terms of mechanics (1:1 tracking of your head and your hands) regardless of experimentation and advancement on this on that additional aspect (ie additional trackers for the rest of your body, that's not future tech, it's here, just not deemed appropriate for the bulk of the consumer space as it does add too much to the platform and makes it worse for software, for space requirements, usability, cost, and so on) and it's up to the software to utilize it in compelling ways.

Hell, you could probably even have a Ready Player One impression (really many of the things shown in the movie in terms of how you actually control yourself in that online world make zero sense, now and in the future) using something like this + all the trackers and haptic feedback crap but who's gonna make it?

Clearly that's not very consumer oriented and it's gonna cost a fuckton more than the $200-$1000 range of a currently established VR kit regardless of the year. Valve and Oculus and other companies didn't just throw technology at the wall to see what sticks but actually carefully designed real consumer products.

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just unlocked the base building part in Gujian 3 and HOLY SHIT this is fucking massive and amazing and the coolest fucking thing. Even the way it's integrated into the story is awesome.
Dancing Queen should post screenshots of her base ... it's amazing :D

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

39,99€ is way too steep and right around RDR2's release?

First time one of Jason Rohrer's games gets a discount? Ever? Anywhere?
Well compared to RDR2's price...I'll go for the game that tries something a little different than the norm.
Do you want to bankrupt the man?
As the designated driver I claim no responsibility after I have cleared my driving part of the agreement.

Reactions: NarohDethan
Status
Not open for further replies.