Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, let's say what I think about HLVR and the debacle about it,

First of all, some of you already know that I'm a big fan of VR and I own not one but four headsets, I have invested a lot of money and I'm absolutely in love with this technology, games such Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, REZ, Tetris Effect and many others already make the tech worthy, but I always wanted this to be bigger and over the years (3 to be more specific) all the information around HLVR (multiple references, code, etc...) sounded like this was going to be a big thing, not only that but this was the main weapon from Valve to make PCVR more desirable and make devs jump into the next level, how do you make it? using your biggest IP and one that has represented big jumps on this industry such as Half Life.

After all this year I can understand ALL OF YOU who are sad that this is a VR only game but think that Valve is working really hard on this one to make it the most impressive and attractive product possible, a game made for this technology, to go deeper on it, making you, the player, an essential part of the interaction, their hardware is superb, their software so far has been very innovative (the tech demos) and let me tell you that if HLVR is something close to the scale we are all imagining, it's going to be one of the biggest things to happen to VR ever, another step into the future.

Again, I understand those who can't invest in this tech and will miss the first HL in 15 years but as I said, it's another technological and innovation step into the future. VR is not a gimmick, it's very real and a very cool deal once you try it out.

Its a 'NEW INTERNET' term lol, equal to "fanboy"
why can't we keep things simple? STOP CHANGING TERMS, PLEASE hahaha

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
I bet the same people dissing HLVR are the type of people who would fellatio Sony over that Astrobot game. I still remember the threads. ASTROBOT IS A GOTY CONTENDER AND VALIDATES SONY VR!!!111!!1

Lord forbid Valve has a chance to actually show the game before getting ass blasted.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I bet the same people dissing HLVR are the type of people who would fellatio Sony over that Astrobot game. I still remember the threads. ASTROBOT IS A GOTY CONTENDER AND VALIDATES SONY VR!!!111!!1

Lord forbid Valve has a chance to actually show the game before getting ass blasted.
You are correct lol.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
It's not about "stanning" for Valve, but being open about that a HL VR game could be incredible and innovative instead of going something ala "lol vr".

Valve is not obligated to make HLA a non-VR game or have a non-VR mode (which will just make the VR game worse). Valve is doing what they think is best for the Half-Life series and what they are interested in.

If someone doesn't wanna get a VR headset, they won't be able to play it. If they wanna play it, get a VR headset. Their choice.
Valve isn't obligated to make a non VR game but none of us are obligated to phrase valve for "moving the industry forward" by focusing 100% on a still niche product.

It's easy to understand why people are disappointed that the newest HL game isn't getting broad HW support and the response isn't embarrassing, I agree and feel the same.

It's not easy to understand why supposed industry journalists have jumped on that bandwagon when they're actually supposed to only say "Valve is going to announce something, let's see what it is". Why don't they question every single announcement from every single company before even knowing what they're talking about?
This is closer to the Diablo cellphone announcement than an average game announcement and blizzard didn't get any pass either.

Sure, let's handwave anyone excited for VR games as a fanboy of a single company, it can't be because that shit is cool to them, nope.

And we can't have people enjoying things we wanna dismiss out of the blue whether we've experienced them or not cos we have principles, we're no fanboys!

What brand GPU/CPU/mouse/keyboard/console/AC/oven/fridge does anyone have, just to know what fanboys I'm talking to rn, yeah?
I didn't imply that and you know that. If this is how you read my posts, then don't bother responding anymore because I won't be able to see any of your responses from now on.

Reactions: Wok

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, totally, this is just like shoving Half-Life on mobiles as a themed skin over an existing dodgy mobile FPS like say, Gameloft's Modern Combat, just like Diablo mobile, not keeping the series on the most technologically advanced gaming platform (PC) and taking it one step further after years worth of R&D to take it one step further on the hardware side, something they would obviously not do if they didn't plan to also make games, they totally surprised us when they announced it. As for your posts, there was just one, and it presented only two paths, one, being "with jason" which is to dismiss with dumb juvenile memes an unseen VR game with no argument behind such an attitude for PC VR/VR games and 2, to "stan" for Valve. Own up, or don't, idgaf, you're not misunderstood.

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
This is closer to the Diablo cellphone announcement than an average game announcement and blizzard didn't get any pass either.
Original studio making a new game with a different control method = Blizzard announcing at a major event that they're licensing an IP to a trash tier mobile dev,

Okay then.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Man Hexen's puzzles are odd sometimes. You need to basically bang every wall in this game and sometimes that is not even enough.

Reactions: sk2k

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Yeah, totally, this is just like shoving Half-Life on mobiles as a themed skin over an existing dodgy mobile FPS like say, Gameloft's Modern Combat, just like Diablo mobile, not still keeping the series on the most technologically advanced gaming platform and taking it one step further after working for years to take it one step further on the hardware side. As for your posts, there was just one, and it presented only two paths, one, being "with jason" which is to dismiss an unseen VR game with no substance or argument behind such an attitude around PC VR/VR games and 2, to "stan" for Valve. Own up, or don't, idgaf.
I went against my own advice. The "own up" , lol, it isn't that fucking serious.

It isn't dismissing to say that valve has disappointed many people by locking a long awaited follow up behind hardware that is niche not only because of its cost but because of its complexity, size requirements and even ease of use. People wanted a new HL experience and to a lot of us this is a classic "corrupted wish" situation. There isn't 'no substance' there.

And fanboying would be giving Valve the benefit of the doubt on this, which no company has earned.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Chill ya'll

I don't get the "ok boomer" and why to use it. I bet we make some shitty mistakes on our own and someone will tell us "ok millenial" after 20-30 years.

It's just how humans are, we are stupid and yes we make mistakes.
The reason :okboomer: became a meme was because they fucked our economy and then go on to blame us for not having it as good on them.
Obviously it's a humoric generelization of an entire generation, but it works.

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
How many hours till the HL:VR thing is unveiled Like tomorrow morning (10 hours from now) or is it just generic "Thursday sometime"

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Being disappointed you can't play something is one thing, the same for "not giving the benefit of the doubt", but making preemptive comparisons like Diablo mobile and claims about those who aren't disappointed another thing which doesn't indicate actual reveal reactions won't be based around confirmation bias like that (good or not it doesn't change the current stance of clearly hating that it's for VR). Moving on, as I said idgaf and won't block people over it, lol.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I got nothing against even though I dislike VR
Astro Bot on PS4 looks cute and it is deserving of its praise if it is a good game
If Astro Bot and Beat Sabre can get GOTY accolades, why shouldn't a Valve game?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Thinking about how finalflame on Era said that there a second announcement should not be too far off from HL:A. If it is true I wonder what it could be. My two guesses (hopes rather) would be either a Left 4 Dead that supports VR and "normal" desktops. That I could see working and L4D to me seems like a franchise where they can be more iterative. Or that Dota Diablo-like that I believe was once reported on.

Personally I hope it is the latter.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Álvaro de Campos

O nada que é tudo.
Mar 12, 2019
The reason :okboomer: became a meme was because they fucked our economy and then go on to blame us for not having it as good on them.
Obviously it's a humoric generelization of an entire generation, but it works.
Looks to me like :okboomer: became a meme because it's a "great"/"funny" way to deflect criticism and advice independent of how truthful or helpful it is. And I say that as a green-blooded millennial.
That's not to say boomers didn't fuck the economy up, because they certainly at the very least helped, and I'd say their misdeeds go much farther than that but that's not a discussion for this thread.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Thinking about how finalflame on Era said that there a second announcement should not be too far off from HL:A. If it is true I wonder what it could be. My two guesses (hopes rather) would be either a Left 4 Dead that supports VR and "normal" desktops. That I could see working and L4D to me seems like a franchise where they can be more iterative. Or that Dota Diablo-like that I believe was once reported on.

Personally I hope it is the latter.
No no no, you can't have L4D support BOTH VR and normal desktops, that's a "step back" and "stifling innovation".

I'm 31 and ok boomer is stupid.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
If they are really working on 3 games. And all three are VR then I could see it be

2020: Half-Life: Alyx
2021: L4D VR
2022: Portal VR

The only other announcement that they can make in tandem with HLVR that would make sense is a Counter Stirke VR or some type of multiplayer component for Alyx.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't have space for a "real VR" (roomscale with individual tracking), so it doesn't matter what game comes out for it. Idgaf about HL but L4D is like a top 10 all time game for me so, yes, I'd be pissed.
I understand you will be pissed, but there's no point going "fuck Valve". Valve will do what they like and what they are interested in. People will thereby have the choice to follow them. Not everyone will be able to get a VR headset for various reasons and Valve probably knows that. Not everyone will have a gaming PC either.

People have choice with what they want to do. Life isn't fair.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I don't have space for a "real VR" (roomscale with individual tracking), so it doesn't matter what game comes out for it. Idgaf about HL but L4D is like a top 10 all time game for me so, yes, I'd be pissed.
By the time, L4D:Boomer is finally released, VR will have become very cheap. HL:Alyx is the start, which will boost the sales of VR gear, and then costs will decrease as more competitors enter the VR hardware market, and scale their production volume.

If I understand things correctly, one can already enjoy VR using a smartphone and a cardboard, or that Windows Mixed Reality gear for $300 or so.

Regarding space, at some point, it won't be an issue, as hardware will be miniaturized: one could imagine plugging the PC in some area outside and then putting the gear on. Hopefully, we will soon get to a point where you go outside, plug your smartphone in a cardboard, put the headset on and play, Maybe even stream the game with some cloud gaming technology, so that all you really need is a smartphone with Internet access.

The only case in which people will have to stay inside as they use their VR gear is when having some lewd time with some 360° interactive VR anime.

Last edited:

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
I understand you will be pissed, but there's no point going "fuck Valve". Valve will do what they like and what they are interested in. People will thereby have the choice to follow them. Not everyone will be able to get a VR headset for various reasons and Valve probably knows that. Not everyone will have a gaming PC either.

People have choice with what they want to do. Life isn't fair.
I mean I wouldn't be buying it, either the game or the VR HW, so not getting money from me is fuck Valve enough. Moot point, as we're all beholden to steam anyway...

Valve can do what they like but I'm not going to go Apple and say its "brave".

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I mean I wouldn't be buying it, either the game or the VR HW
And that's your choice.

Valve can do what they like but I'm not going to go Apple and say its "brave".
I don't think Valve is making HLA to be brave, but because they are very interested in the technology and see how much gaming can change with it. They stated somewhere that HLA started with an "exploration for VR" which, from my understand, basically means that they are very interested in the technology and what it can do for gaming.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Looks to me like :okboomer: became a meme because it's a "great"/"funny" way to deflect criticism and advice independent of how truthful or helpful it is. And I say that as a green-blooded millennial.
That's not to say boomers didn't fuck the economy up, because they certainly at the very least helped, and I'd say their misdeeds go much farther than that but that's not a discussion for this thread.
I mean, boomers also rioted with police in the late 60s in Europe and had the pacifist movement and counterculture in the US so, in that aspect, they probably did way more than we are doing right now, as millennials. But hey, we created another meme!

The problem with this meme thing is that they might be made for a particular instance to address a particular group of people but they become widespread due to people using them as dumb as they possibly can.

As you said though, not a discussion for this thread.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Bruh

That is all.

Also you are all Wonderful people

I guess this announcement really does have people very mixed and well it does feel like the press is not mentioning thing.
Also it makes sense why some people are not happy about the idea since VR may just not be ideal for them. Either way at least we known that Valve is making games and plans to release them.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm only disappointed its VR exclusive because I dont have VR hardware yet.
Which is completely understand. Announcing a big AAA VR exclusive without owning a VR headset can definetly be dissapointing. Even worse if you can't afford it or don't have the room for it.

However, regarding room, we don't know yet if you can just sit or stand in the game or if room scale is requird.

We just gotta wait and see.

Reactions: lashman and Stevey

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Lol Jason got the monkey paw thing from me.

I'm with Jason, I'm not going to Stan for any large and wealthy corp.

It isn't hard to understand why people are disappointed that the newest HL game isn't getting broad HW support and the response isn't "embarrassing".

All that having been said, Jason has said some questionable things.
I'm sorry, but no. That's stupid.

It would be one thing if this type of attitude was applied consistently through the industry, but it's not.

Whenever e.g. Sony farts, "game journalists" will praise the everloving crap out of it.
When Valve does anything (often a really good thing for consumers, or the medium, or the industry) the first response is more often than not derision, or sometimes grudging acknowledgement.

I've tried for a long time to understand this and I think I figured out what it boils down to. Console companies and large publishers spend a lot of money on review events, conferences, and similar fluff. They write huge press releases and send them out for regurgitation by media. They buy traditional advertising, and lots of it. Overall, they (i) make game journalists feel like they matter, and (ii) sometimes also pay their bills.

Valve, on the other and, doesn't do huge marketing events. They don't fly out journalists and "personalities" for exclusive events on a regular basis. When they have something to announce or a statement to make then they just put it up where gamers can read it. They also don't (or, at least, far more rarely) make up elaborate lies to explain how they do things, or why they made specific decisions.

And that's what you see reflected in the media landscape.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Spot on, and also the reason Nintendo is treated similarly as the red headed step child of the console companies, they don't do much for the media and instead do their own thing with the Directs and everything often outright bypassing them. But the above is also coupled with Epic's recent shenanigans for sure. The media can't go from acknowledging bethesda launcher, microsoft store and other lackluster services don't hold a candle to steam then do such a U turn to praise egs every chance they get and act like Steam has been the devil all along and how services and features don't really matter after all out of the blue, alongside a climate that makes gamers out as this necessary evil everyone wishes they could do without and only rely on influencers and the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.