Community MetaSteam | November 2019 - You Can't Spell Steam Without EA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
Wait a minute.... your post made me remember that i have the Valve F&F sub too, can't remember where i got it from, but i remember getting Artifact for free, and actually making like 70 bucks selling the cards on the marketplace.

Edit: Yup just checked and it says Alyx is already in my Steam library. Also i think it was some code from the Alienware twitch streams.

Last edited:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Got a 30% coupon off Sigma Theory, but I already have it. Anyone wants the coupon?

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

interesting
Give us back Idle Thumbs, Gabe, goddamit! I don't care about your new games announcements as much as I do Big Bird talking about Puffins and grenades rolling down hills in Far Cry 2!

But seriously, hopefully it's a shift for the company instead of Wolpaw or Church or Gabe coming out every 3 or 4 years to exclaim they do indeed still exist and make more than hats. Clearly radio silence is worse than being misquoted/just as bad at creating unrealistic expectations

Got a 30% coupon off Sigma Theory, but I already have it. Anyone wants the coupon?
Which platform?

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
apparently Turok 2 and the OG Doom 2 on the Switch cannot hold my attention because I'm either getting bored or hate getting lost.

Hollow Knight is also not holding my attention which sucks, it's really good game

So I'm one of those people, If I'm playing on my switch It's going to be Smash Brothers which is something for me (among other things) to think about

Reactions: MJunioR

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
XWVM X-Wing Unity Remake (hopefully escaping cease & desist by virtue of requiring the original game files to read off of but who knows what Disney's gonna do, fuckers already shut down the Rogue Squadron 3D UE4 remake) is looking sweet lately (different videos from the last month or so not in order of release).

Last edited:
Reactions: warp_

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Something something Fallout 76 dont press any button or else.

All this VR discourse is funny. People would buy a $500 PS5 to play Demon Souls 2, a game series/genre beaten to the ground this gen, but when someone (not a console maker) tries to push boundaries of interactivity it is suddenly a hard sell.

Even if HL:A is a piece of shit you can always sell your headset (or you know, play other games), and still have a very decent PC where you can make everything you want.

And I get it, VR is expensive. I know. But acting like it is some kind of greedy scheme of Valve to sell expensive VR sets (I mean, it is, but what happened to #competition and #contentalwayswins then?) is incredibly reductive.

The only fair point I've seen is that VR is a accesibility nightmare, and I agree. But you know, VR is still a very young consumer technology. Baby steps, we will get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuki

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
All this VR discourse is funny. People would buy a $500 PS5 to play Demon Souls 2, a game series/genre beaten to the ground this gen, but when someone (not a console maker) tries to push boundaries of interactivity it is suddenly a hard sell.
Personally, my issue is motion sickness, which I suffer severely from in many first person games (some third person too if the camera moves too quickly). If gaming goes full VR, I'd have to retire from it as a hobby. I hope that won't happen, but if it does, well, it's been a good run.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Personally, my issue is motion sickness, which I suffer severely from in many first person games (some third person too if the camera moves too quickly). If gaming goes full VR, I'd have to retire from it as a hobby. I hope that won't happen, but if it does, well, it's been a good run.
I understand your concern, but I think it is a little unfounded, no offense intended.

We still have retro style games despite the advent of 3D graphics, we still have ways to play old games that are otherwise impossible to track down and play, etc.

From my point of view, gaming will never go full VR, and the advantage of PC is that there will always be small communities that will make sure of that. We will always have something else to play.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Chudah

Just a chick who games
May 24, 2019
Chicago
store.steampowered.com
I understand your concern, but I think it is a little unfounded, no offense intended.

We still have retro style games despite the advent of 3D graphics, we still have ways to play old games that are otherwise impossible to track down and play, etc.

From my point of view, gaming will never go full VR, and the advantage of PC is that there will always be small communities that will make sure of that. We will always have something else to play.
I don't think gaming will go entirely VR, but I can see my favorite genre mostly going there, survival horror. Until RE2 Remake came around, most horror games had gone first person for the immersion, and that has done numbers on my stomach. I even had to force myself through RE7 despite discomfort, but thankfully adjusting a few settings made it bearable. Still, if I couldn't play another survival horror game again, I'd probably just go back and play my old favorites over again for the dozenth time.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I don't think gaming will go entirely VR, but I can see my favorite genre mostly going there, survival horror. Until RE2 Remake came around, most horror games had gone first person for the immersion, and that has done numbers on my stomach. I even had to force myself through RE7 despite discomfort, but thankfully adjusting a few settings made it bearable. Still, if I couldn't play another survival horror game again, I'd probably just go back and play my old favorites over again for the dozenth time.
Fair point :)

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Nice about State of Decay 2, I just finished playing it on Game Pass. I voiced my issues with it in this thread but overall I really liked it! I think I could go for another round with it since it has different locations to choose from.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
apparently Turok 2 and the OG Doom 2 on the Switch cannot hold my attention because I'm either getting bored or hate getting lost.
The latter. Turok 1 annoyed me when i got lost but it is such a nice game sadly.
So half life alyx trailers on youtube have way more positive upvotes than downvotes :coffee-blob:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I have multiple old friends who only barely follow games anymore but were huge fans of HL & HL2 back in the day who messaged me asking what was this about a new Half Life game. Word appears to be spreading quick. I move in weird circles, so I can't take that as a wider trend, but it was shocking to me to hear from one of these people. I thought they were done with games period.

Another was even not phased by it being VR, they just said "well guess I gotta get one of those".

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
It depends on how much I let my Digimon bias show, but at this rate Gujian 3 will very likely either be my GOTY or GOTY #2.
It boggles my mind how massive and simultaneously varied the game is.

That's one hell of a AA+ JRPG.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It depends on how much I let my Digimon bias show, but at this rate Gujian 3 will very likely either be my GOTY or GOTY #2.
It boggles my mind how massive and simultaneously varied the game is.

That's one hell of a AA+ JRPG.
Kinda regret not getting it at that price error now, but eh I wouldn't have palyed it for months due to my game preferences.

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Kinda regret not getting it at that price error now, but eh I wouldn't have palyed it for months due to my game preferences.
Yeah that price was crazy, I didn't know it was a price error.
But honestly the current 16~€ also seem very very much worth it, I'm about 20 hours into the game and looking at the (limited) HLTB data and Steamreviews this is likely a 60-100+ hours game. It's massive.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I wonder, have you actually tried VR gaming (with a well-tracked VR solution)?

The reason I ask is that if you play a VR game with room-scale movement, teleportation and no artificial rotation there is actually potentially less vestibular disconnect than if you play a FPS game on a screen. So, while I know this sounds strange, it's possible it might actually work for you even though on-screen camera movement doesn't. (Of course, it also might not. There are many reasons for motion sickness and vestibular disconnect is just one of them)

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yesterday I spent ~2 hours in Gujian without advancing the main story at all, haha.

I went around to the various towns to do side-quests, hire new artisans, play the cardgame while making and researched various items in my base.
I now have fishing equipment and my pact creatures are happy to provide me with fish, have mining equipment to let them mine some stone and ores, got a second farming field, researched basic enchanting and crafted some gems to slot into my weapons/accessories, make sure my people and creatures are always well fed (I'm already mostly self sufficient with the crops I harvest and fish I catch). Bunch of them are already level 4~

I think I pretty much ran out of things to research and folks to hire now, so I guess today will be some main story progression again :blob_hype:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Lewd games, huh. Paging PC-tan .
Some one that understands me

I hate it when they put new icons with informations like discounts or reviews in them
I like it actually
So
Has the gaming media flipped a 180, showed their asses, bumped their heads on the wall during said 180, and started attracting viewers in a desperate attempt for attention?
????? What happened?

Apparently the Index just became available in Canada.

Hopefully means good things for other territories in the near future as well.
It's now avaible in Nippon, I guess this explains why the Deciga site was down the other day

Famitsu even did an article

[
Gabe blessed him.

That $1k Sushi that Gabe feed him must have been the cause of his luck

interesting
I would think there is good reason to stay quite.

OH MY FUCKING GOD finally
I loved the first one
I knew waiting would pay off

From forever and a day ago
what's the context of the image?

With predators who have hateboner with Valve like JS and NG I think it's a good thing to stay silent.

And make me wonder if their hateboner to Valve is because they don't get any insider information.
Why listen to those two when you have Tyler (and ya I know, but it is nice to see him happy about HLVR though )
===

Good Night and tomorrow I think I will make a post about different VR games and how those were shown off and what people thought about them in the end. Reveal trailer vs critic scores

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Same here. But I added it to my wishlist too ;)

For those who got HL: Alyx by Family and Friends sub, could you please explain how this magic works ? I'm not aware of this F&F thing.
Don't Valve employee family and friends get free Valve games?
---
Will Facebook/Oculus now advertise that Half Life Alyx will be playable on the Oculus Rift/Quest?

I know that they will keep on pushing the Oculus store and their platform, but this game will likely get a decent amount of people to buy VR HMDs and we'll according to what some people have been saying they think it's a Valve Index exclusive.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
So, if I get the Oculus Rift S I might be able to get both that and the GPU upgrade I wanted when the next GPUs are out. I'll postpone the CPU+MB upgrade to 2021 instead. An unlocked i5 from 2015 should be more than enough to cover next year. I'm at the same time hyped and uncertain. We'll see.

Reactions: Alextended

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Damn, 4 mill view on HLA and the like dislike bar rate is suprisingly positive for it to be VR only.

Even many big games that are showcased on E3, GamesCom, Game Awards, Tokyo Game Show etc. have difficulty getting so many views so fast.

Valve knows what they are doing.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Damn, 4 mill view on HLA and the like dislike bar rate is suprisingly positive for it to be VR only.

Even many big games that are showcased on E3, GamesCom, Game Awards, Tokyo Game Show etc. have difficulty getting so many views so fast.

Valve knows what they are doing.
Its not that surprising. I thought it would be even more by now tbh.

People spent a decade searching for any little Half-Life clues on the internet just dreaming of what HL2 game would look like today.

And Valve just drops a long trailer showcasing a next ---> next gen version of City 17 basically lol. People will be dissecting and rewatching this trailer for months now.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
So, if I get the Oculus Rift S I might be able to get both that and the GPU upgrade I wanted when the next GPUs are out. I'll postpone the CPU+MB upgrade to 2021 instead. An unlocked i5 from 2015 should be more than enough to cover next year. I'm at the same time hyped and uncertain. We'll see.
Wouldn't a Quest be a better investment since it is standalone and can now be connected to a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.