Community MetaSteam | November 2020 - There Was a Title Here. It's Gone Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
From the story above one can assume 2fa is useless trash and was implemented just for annoyance. I hope to live long enough to see this garbage die.
Best way to not get robbed is to not have any steamfunds!
You can get 20 vacs and stuff.

Reactions: Le Pertti

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Me without any kind of Steam addons, mainly because I do not trust anything on the internet: :oops:

I guess the journey ahead will tell, and I hope the experience itself will convey things of a nature that movies/text can't touch.
It is a game that was carefully planned and executed. I don't agree with every decision made, or I do not understand every decision made? But it is impossible to deny the arduous work that was put into every little detail.

There are two ways to look at the game. A pure logical approach that focuses on the technical merits and gameplay mechanics. Or one that looks at the artful composition that is Death Stranding. First approach is quantifiable and in that regard the game is lacking. The second approach is subjective, but also the only way to describe why Death Stranding is special. A game about journeying into the world is the embodiment of the saying: "It's about the journey and the people you meet along the way and not the destination."

I'll give you a contradicting advice for your play-through: Take your time, breath the game in but never loose complete focus on the main arc.
The game creates memorable moments, moments worth spending time with. I agree, it is often blatant in its symbolism and the story is not explainable through pure logical deduction. Even worse; some characters are only existing to give the player exposition, which is borderline bad writing.

It was still one of the most memorable videogame journeys I undertook, one I will not forget.

And seriously: Death Stranding is long. When you think you are about to reach the end: you are not even close.
Enjoy the ride.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Steam Economy Enhancer is literally open source, if it was doing something untoward, you'd think someone would have noticed. :thinking-blob:

And wasn't the lashman recommended SIH the one where the extension was sold (or something) to someone and they added some spying shit in there couple years ago? Like, the actual reason Economy Enhancer became popular was because SIH couldn't be trusted anymore.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I linked my Steam account to GreenManGaming back in the day that they gave you credits or whatever from playing games. It's been years since they removed that, but my account is still linked and they collect all Steam gaming activity. The only way to remove it is by contacting their support.

Isn't it weird that Valve doesn't go the Google route and let you unlink external services through their own system?

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
From the story above one can assume 2fa is useless trash and was implemented just for annoyance. I hope to live long enough to see this garbage die.

You can get 20 vacs and stuff.
2FA is not literally useless. Its helps a lot. Don't get me wrong on this and what I said but it's far better using 2Fa than not.
It's a security measure extremely important but then again it's also very important user behaviour on any system they interact with.
It's not just an annoyance it can save you many times but it won't save you if you click on a phishing link which I suspect was what happened.

Steam Economy Enhancer is literally open source, if it was doing something untoward, you'd think someone would have noticed. :thinking-blob:

And wasn't the lashman recommended SIH the one where the extension was sold (or something) to someone and they added some spying shit in there couple years ago? Like, the actual reason Economy Enhancer became popular was because SIH couldn't be trusted anymore.
That's exactly why many people switched to Ec0nomy Enhancer. SIH was sold to some malware group I believe or some kind of bad actor.

Last edited:

Erekiddo

Dec 31, 2018
Like I said - I don’t have proof but I’m someone who has 2FA turned on almost everywhere and have LastPass set to have randomly generated passwords for all the sites I use. I’ve always been on top of my security on the internet and haven’t had something like this happen before.

SEE was legitimately the only site/tool I had granted access to my Steam to outside of Humble Bundle or deals.gg.

To each their own, but I’m no longer using that program nor am I ever carrying a balance again. Stay safe!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I used to have Enhanced Steam on, but now I don't trust any Steam related addons, no reason in particular.

I also consider deleting IdleMaster Extended v.1,3, but I really like the thing so not sure.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Me without any kind of Steam addons, mainly because I do not trust anything on the internet: :oops:

It is a game that was carefully planned and executed. I don't agree with every decision made, or I do not understand every decision made? But it is impossible to deny the arduous work that was put into every little detail.

There are two ways to look at the game. A pure logical approach that focuses on the technical merits and gameplay mechanics. Or one that looks at the artful composition that is Death Stranding. First approach is quantifiable and in that regard the game is lacking. The second approach is subjective, but also the only way to describe why Death Stranding is special. A game about journeying into the world is the embodiment of the saying: "It's about the journey and the people you meet along the way and not the destination."

I'll give you a contradicting advice for your play-through: Take your time, breath the game in but never loose complete focus on the main arc.
The game creates memorable moments, moments worth spending time with. I agree, it is often blatant in its symbolism and the story is not explainable through pure logical deduction. Even worse; some characters are only existing to give the player exposition, which is borderline bad writing.

It was still one of the most memorable videogame journeys I undertook, one I will not forget.

And seriously: Death Stranding is long. When you think you are about to reach the end: you are not even close.
Enjoy the ride.
On the game's length: I do know a little, that as you reach the "end" then you end up backtracking all the way back. I don't know the reason why but between the allegory about social media and the completely abusive and pushy way they have been treating him, not to mention the totalitarian behavior, it's not hard to imagine how the baddies are actually the good guys or something of that nature.

I'm endlessly amazed at how each character vomiting exposition at you has its own uniquely recognizable, endlesly irrtating radio chime :p.

As for your advice, I understand that it's a flawed piece of art, and I already can tell that the feeling of the walking, of these landscapes and the mood of the world are probably behind a lot of the enjoyment to be derived from it.

Still, I have to agree with you regarding the fact that the game was carefully planned and executed. I haven't played a lot of it but that much I can tell. It's so painfully obvious in all the decisions they've made. It's no wonder the game was made in so short a time, but I think it'd been cooking up in Kojima's head for a long time, way before the studio was even created. The thing that amazes me the most is how the game's design is laid out in such a way that it has a very cheap and extremely efficient production structure. Take the BT's for example. They are intensely creepy, but in effect, they are possibly one of the dumbest AI imaginable in game, yet they are incredibly scary and memorable. The fact that the game is getting away with that, with such a high payoff with so little resources is nothing short of amazing to me.

This game has very little in the way of offscreen character, incredibly few assets and I suspect a single CoD campaign level required more in the way of resources than this entire game. Everything is sparse, on purpose, in ways justified by the game's setting. It's really smart, and they leverage the engine's strong terrain and volumetric rendering to great effect. It feels cheap, certainly, but I can't help admire that it's also smart, and for once in the AAA industry, asks and answers its own design questions. It's a game that knows what it wants to be more than most big budget productions, and while I am not Kojima's biggest fan, I'm not blind either.

But please game, please. Stop calling me every waking second. I'll still do my best to enjoy and smell the roses :).

Sam- "Now it's just you, me, and myself"
music kicks in, camera pans out
radio chime

DHM- "Sam. It's me. Die-hardman."

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I got one month of game pass ultimate and I just use it to play kiwami 1 which I already have on steam haha, but this way I can unlock the achievements on Xbox Live and then just SAM them on steam too, two birds with one stone.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
SEE was legitimately the only site/tool I had granted access to my Steam to outside of Humble Bundle or deals.gg.
See, the way you phrase this (and what I saw on discord) sounds odd to me in relation to how SEE (and userscripts in general) works. It doesn't have a login page or anything like deals.gg for example, there are no elevated permission or such, you don't sign up to anything. So it just makes me wonder if we are even talking about the same script. :confused-face: It's a little weird is all.

edit: Chatted about this more on discord and it remains odd.

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

This game looks neat. These animations are super smooth. I can't stop watching. I don't see a Steam page yet, so here's hoping I don't forget it down the line.

Tizoc you might find it interesting.
This gives me Sega Master System nostalgia with the bright pastels and sonic-ish thing going on. Or at least how I unrealistically remember SMS.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
A few weeks back I too got my account compromised, but I think mine was a different issue (I think they just accessed my email). Still, doesn't hurt to be careful.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
[UWSL]Take the BT's for example. They are intensely creepy, but in effect, they are possibly one of the dumbest AI imaginable in game, yet they are incredibly scary and memorable. [/UWSL]
Problem with BT's is the length of the game and how often you encounter them. They degenerate from a scary, unknown threat to a mild inconvenience and further to a complete annoyance. It's a thin line, making them harder and less predictable would discourage many people, turning DS into a horror game.

This game has very little in the way of offscreen character, incredibly few assets and I suspect a single CoD campaign level required more in the way of resources than this entire game.
I see where you are coming from. What surprised me about the game is how randomly generated the world looks, but how carefully crafted each "way" and each "story" mission is. I don't remember most CoD single player levels, but even after months I could still navigate around the map in DS freely, just by landmarks.

Reactions: Swenhir

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Now that we are the 30th here, I can say it : thanks to everyone for the messages and reactions to my birthday post.
You honestly made this day a better day for me. I'm richer knowing you all and having your friendship.
I really should internalize that I'm not too bad, but hey we all are our own worst enemy.

Meta. Still best place on the Internet.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Problem with BT's is the length of the game and how often you encounter them. They degenerate from a scary, unknown threat to a mild inconvenience and further to a complete annoyance. It's a thin line, making them harder and less predictable would discourage many people, turning DS into a horror game.

I see where you are coming from. What surprised me about the game is how randomly generated the world looks, but how carefully crafted each "way" and each "story" mission is. I don't remember most CoD single player levels, but even after months I could still navigate around the map in DS freely, just by landmarks.
Oh absolutely. I didn't mean to disparage the game in that regard, just to praise its efficient use of the engine and its economical use of resources. I could wax lyrical about the landscapes, how beautiful and natural they feel, clearly Icelandic in nature. The scale alone, which while still obviously not true to the US, still feels proper for those mountains, vast and high. All of it is handcrafted I believe, with of course the assistance of procedural generation to "dress" it, like most open-world these days.

One thing that gets me the most is the lighting and mood. Again, it feels like Iceland in many ways, but also something a little lower on the equator, something stranger. Suffice to say, I like it so far.

And on what you said in your spoiler... that really is a shame. I also kind of dislike how it looks like the landscape is littered with advertisements and holographic icons sometimes, it ruins its beauty.

Reactions: ISee

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have bought nothing in the sale yet and I'm knee deep in hardcore pruning my wishlist.
I'm bad at this Steam sale thing, am I ?

No, but seriously, there come a point every few years / months where you have to do a deep cleaning. Not that everything I remove is bad, some sting, but a day is 24 hours, not more.

The sad part ? I would like for my list to be a minuscule...
250 items

Reactions: Dekunator

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Monster Hunter World sales from the Capcom leak. I'm guessing not all the PC Asia sales are from Steam since it's on the WeGame client in China. Still it did insanely well on PC and is closer to the PS version than I would have imagined.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Monster Hunter World sales from the Capcom leak. I'm guessing not all the PC Asia sales are from Steam since it's on the WeGame client in China. Still it did insanely well on PC and is closer to the PS version than I would have imagined.
And that's with a gimped release almost a year after the PS4 version came out.

Evergreen baby

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

MHWorld was pulled from WeGame, it's not available there afaik.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Probably Steam only number. But those are outdated by few months I think.
Latest Steam only PC number is 6 024 807.

I think WeGame was 800k vs 123k (Steam) preorders. But probably not sold much since.

Edit: updated numbers

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandros

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It was definetly fomo that almost caught me during the launch week of the PS5. I haven't forgotten about the PS5 and I will get one when there's stock available, but I've not really cared much about the PS5 since the day after it launcher in EU.

Honestly feels good not to stress and be annoyed about the PS5 stock situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and ISee
Status
Not open for further replies.