Community MetaSteam | November 2023 - I'd Buy That For A Dollar...during a Steam Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I appreciate more of these mobile/gacha games coming to PC and/or consoles at or close to release, though this one isn't good at all from what I've seen. It will probably plug Square's financial holes in their mobile sector for a bit, but I don't believe it will have much staying power long-term and it's not gonna be enough to make up for the downwards trajectory of most of their other mobile offerings.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
At least on NV, you can disable and enable G-sync/VRR on a per-profile (and thus per-game/app) basis.
How, do you need GeForce Experience? In the simple control panel gsync is in a different tab from 3D settings which have the global and profile settings I use.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Wow, thanks, lol. I'll disable it for RetroArch so the 30 fps oldies don't flicker for me :)

Anybody have all Yakuza games, I started them all up to check out what I've finished, how they all run etc., they're all fine, some I have to lock to 30fps most to 60 with some settings reductions (or not for the oldies). But wow Kiwami 2 I thought something was wrong with my PC it stutters so bad, like Kiryu running through the city will stall and jump metres ahead when it is responsive again, is that just me? I don't remember it being so bad when I played through it.

Edit: weird, stuttering gone without changing anything on my end (and now I have all Yakuzas/Judgments/Dragons etc in 60fps, with minor dips in some).

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Nice, autumn sale is soon. I wonder if I can hope to see better discount than on the current Humble sale for Dave the Diver, IWaT Exocolonist or the season's pass of Midnight Sun.
I'm not holding my breath, but luckily I don't care that much either.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
How, do you need GeForce Experience? In the simple control panel gsync is in a different tab from 3D settings which have the global and profile settings I use.
In addition to what others posted, you have more control (and frankly, a much better UI IMHO) with NVidia Profile Inspector:

Oh, party-based alchemy system? That's really interesting.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So based off me reading Half Life the final hours and also reading some interviews from Japanese devs.

It seems like there were 2 major points in Valves business history were people didn't know who they were.

In the final hours Gabe takes about going to multiple publishers to find some one to publish what would go on to become half life and a lot of it, was "who are you?, I have never heard of you, comeback when you have more credibility", stuff along those lines, he also talks about how in one meeting as soon as they mentioned that they planned to include a skeleton system for character animations, the publisher just ended the meeting there since they doubted that Valve could even pull it off. Since Gabe had worked at Valve, he was use to people saying, oh Gabe from Microsoft, okay sure (or something along those lines). But starting a game company meant you hard to start from square one.

The next big time when Valve was put into question, was in Japan in the early 2010s. I don't remember the full story and if it was a Valve employee that went to Japan to ask publishers to put their games on steam or something (I guess what phil did with Xbox in the last 5+ years) or something else, but I do remember reading some interviews from Japanese devs about Steam during that period of time and how a lot of senior devs/business suit people had just never even heard of Valve at all. The main people who were encouraging the company to put their games on Steam were some of the much more younger staff that had heard of Valve and had even used Steam before as well. Capcom was the first one to really use Steam and that's because someone in Capcom USA saw potential there (Devil May Cry) and it's because of that one guy that Capcom has been doing pretty great in the PC space since then. I looked into it and that article is from PC gamer in 2017 and the person they talked to was a dude from 8-4.

PS based off a lot of stuff that I have heard John Carmack, the dude is a genius but also is foolish at the same time. If John says something and if you are able to prove him wrong, my boy your are onto something huge!!!! Looking at Valve a part of their history just seems to be about proving John Carmack wrong and they are as successful as they are because of it. Dude is of course still one of the best programmers you will meet of course.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Mike Rose is the person who famously said that 1% of the sales for Let's Build a Zoo were on EGS. I hadn't thought about AAA games returning to Steam taking eyeballs off indies, but don't quite agree with his assessment that as there have been indies this year on Steam that blew up and made a bigger splash than some AAAs.

At the same time, I think him pointing out Switch has less AAAs is pertinent, but not in the same way he's looking at it. The aesthetic for Spirittea looks like it resonates more with the Switch audience than other platforms (i.e. pixel graphics and "comfy" gameplay).

Spirittea and Let's Build a Zoo also had different launch circumstances as Spirittea launched on both PC and console while Let's Build a Zoo was initially PC only. Regardless, I'm always happy to read business insights.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Just bought a 7800x3d hopefully it will arrive in my country in a couple of weeks' time. AM5 boards are too damn expensive lol, just bought a simple b650 Asrock board and it was like $130. My wallet is crying rn
Good choice, the 7800x3d is a beast of a chip. What cooling do you have though ?
Mine tops at 85 degrees with a Noctua NH D15 in Cinebench R24.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Good choice, the 7800x3d is a beast of a chip. What cooling do you have though ?
Mine tops at 85 degrees with a Noctua NH D15 in Cinebench R24.
I bought a Deepcool LT520 240mm AIO cooler for the chip. I thought the price was not that bad for an AIO with good reviews such as that one. When all the parts arrive at my house I'll update you on my temps :nerd-face:

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Hello from my newest dual 1440p monitor setup :drinking-blob:
Got 2 27'' LG UltraGear 27GR75Q.
My 1070 is on life support now :ripblob:

also, preemptive "this sale sucks" post
Dual 27" 1440p monitors would be amazing, I only have 1 monitor lol.

And as long as Nier Replicant is on sale I won't bitch about this sale, I finished Automata like a week back and now I'm itching for more

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Mike Rose is the person who famously said that 1% of the sales for Let's Build a Zoo were on EGS. I hadn't thought about AAA games returning to Steam taking eyeballs off indies, but don't quite agree with his assessment that as there have been indies this year on Steam that blew up and made a bigger splash than some AAAs.

At the same time, I think him pointing out Switch has less AAAs is pertinent, but not in the same way he's looking at it. The aesthetic for Spirittea looks like it resonates more with the Switch audience than other platforms (i.e. pixel graphics and "comfy" gameplay).

Spirittea and Let's Build a Zoo also had different launch circumstances as Spirittea launched on both PC and console while Let's Build a Zoo was initially PC only. Regardless, I'm always happy to read business insights.
I also think that his conclusions are wrong.
In my opinion, Gamepass numbers are irrelevant, unless those numbers depend on how much you will get for your next game on Gamepass.
Switch is end of lifecycle, when his next game comes out, the Switch 2 will be out and I will bet the sales figure on Switch 2 will look abysmal in contrast to this release. because of the expectations of new Switch 2 owners and the low numbers of consoles in the market.

Reactions: QFNS and Arc

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

It could be for a variety of reasons, anyway it's a good thing at least that the game made money.

As for how the game itself did on Steam with it making up less than 20% of sales, can happen at times it really depends. Also I just saw that it looks like a 2D side scroller Adult Only game (limited visibility by default) seems to have sold better than the No More Robots game.

From the sounds of it, Game Pass does have it's benefits and it looks like it is helping people find games.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Started Naheulbeuk or wathever it’s spelled on a whim. I still don’t really want to play BG3 and I’m in a bad place, moral-wise. Nothing interests me, so why not play something silly ?
Meh, I don’t know.
I don’t think the game succeed at what it wants to be. The mix of silly and tactical gameplay is not working for me yet.

Silly works, it can even be sometimes funny, which is nice. And surprising given how dated and sorta irrelevant the IP is. But exploration is a nothingburger, just an excuse to chain short humorous convos. They add up and while I wouldn’t say it’s too verbose or slow, it bogs down the rythme of the game somewhat.

And the tactical side is, like in the demo, surprisingly solid, if messy. There are a lot of systems, and the density of the character stat page is ridiculous. I don’t think it would work that well in a traditionnal TRPG, so in a silly romp forget it.

So yeah, a sometimes funny, silly romp with frankly overkill combat mechanics and stats.
For now, I tentatively think the mix doesn’t work.

PS. And, for the love of God, get outta here with this drivel WASD for character movement, let me move the camera :anguished-face:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Just finished playing the demo(s) of Infinite Wealth. It's so good. Also it started raining at some point in the second demo so yay, weather outside cut scenes/set pieces. I explored everything I could in the first demo then in the second beat the boss (ignore the warning, he's not at all tough you don't need to level at all) and also did the Sicko Snap which is like Pokemon Snap. I don't think I'll explore more of the second demo (it's probably the same surface area as the first, just a different slice of the game with your party members and different boss section and such). I saw the second jobs for all and unlocked a third for the guys too. Other than the constant loot OCD it causes with things being EVERYWHERE to pick up it's so good. And it looks so beautiful. Combat has a few more fun systems to it compared to 7. It's gonna be super fun and the new party members are cool and the story seems like it will be amazing once again.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Here we go again...

If only some people got their wish and the platform was curated and their games didn't get approved rather than their competitors' games as they wish for huh. Any store that isn't over crowded is at the expense of the developers that can't get in (or can't get in early to catch that phase on new consoles etc.). So selfish. And the usual neglecting to mention all you do get for that 30% (which can become 25% and 20% and 0% for key sales and so on and so forth).

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Here's hoping Sony games go on better sales tonight (want TLoU).
It's on 50% sale on CDKeys. It's a historically low price, I doubt it will be cheaper during Steam sale.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Here we go again...

If only some people got their wish and the platform was curated and their games didn't get approved rather than their competitors' games as they wish for huh. Any store that isn't over crowded is at the expense of the developers that can't get in (or can't get in early to catch that phase on new consoles etc.). So selfish. And the usual neglecting to mention all you do get for that 30% (which can become 25% and 20% and 0% for key sales and so on and so forth).
I find it so weird when a small indie dev like this is asking for curation. I can at least kinda understand it from consumers (though even there it is pretty dumb), but as a developer it is such a strange thing to ask for. Many great games on Steam would not have been greenlit by Valve if they had continued by the old system, they said as much. Even the Greenlight system was only useful for games that sounded cool on paper, and many of whom never materialised. Opening up Steam was something that many devs demanded for years, so to call out Steam that it is too open now is just crazy and revisionist nonsense.

And the other thing is that not only does absolutely every platform holder ask for 30% (every one with an actual audience anyway), the 30% is also clearly not based on curation, but access to the gigantic Steam audience. If your game cannot garner any attention on its own, how is that Valve's responsibility to fix. It's such a weird form of entitlement . And of course ignores the huge amounts of features that Steam has, both for devs and costomers. Myopic as fuck.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It's $100 per thing you want to sell but you get it back with the first $1000 in revenue from it or something like that.

Reactions: Le Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.