Community MetaSteam | October 2019 - The Horrors Of Empty Wallets, A Digimon Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Another month, another awesome thread!

Sales season is approaching fast, look out :D
There's apparently a LGBT-themed sale on Steam next week already, then there's the Halloween sale at the end of October, then the Steam Awards Nominations sale (autumn sale, my favorite one) in November and then the Winter sale

We already are in the sales season and no one told us :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Are you guys bullying lash again? :dana_blanket:
:wd_nobully:

There's apparently a LGBT-themed sale on Steam next week already, then there's the Halloween sale at the end of October, then the Steam Awards Nominations sale (autumn sale, my favorite one) in November and then the Winter sale

We already are in the sales season and no one told us :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:
yeah, there's gonna be A LOT of sales!

Bamco is probably waiting for Mor's OT to go up first.
are they? are they really? :thinking-blob:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

Hey everyone! Today we shipped some updates to Deep Dive, based on your feedback.

Performance
Our first build was a little rough around the edges; we've since made some optimizations that should make results considerably faster. We're still working on further improvements, so let us know what you think.

Layout
We aim to make Deep Dive's three types of recommendations clearer with a new layout where each recommender method appears in its own column, topped by a clearly labeled header. Additionally, the freed space makes the whole layout more compact, cutting down on scrolling when using smaller displays.

Mix & Match Recommenders
You now have the ability to mix and match recommenders. Simply click on the header of each column to rotate between Very Similar, Somewhat Similar, and Similar Gem matches.

New Keystone Tag Matcher Algorithm
In the previous version we used three recommender algorithms: the default algorithm Steam uses on More Like This pages, a loose match algorithm that would return 2nd-degree matches, and the Gems matcher that looks for well-loved but little-known games.

The loose match algorithm was previously a bit of a performance drain. It would first find a dozen or so matches using the default algorithm, and then it would re-run the default algorithm on all of those matches. Not surprisingly, this takes about 12 times as long as a regular query.

We've since replaced that algorithm with a new matcher that more closely matches one of those found in the original Diving Bell prototype. This is what Lars calls the Keystone Tag matcher, which is an algorithm that only considers tag similarity, and in early testing it seems pretty good at returning games that closely match the structure of the chosen game. Let us know what you think!

We've relabeled the algorithms accordingly:

Previous version of Deep Dive
  • Very Similar --> More Like This
  • Somewhat Similar --> Loose matcher
  • Similar Gems --> Gems
New version of Deep Dive
  • Very Similar --> Keystone Tag matcher
  • Somewhat Similar --> More Like This
  • Similar Gems --> Gems

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Are you guys bullying lash again? :dana_blanket:

This week's grocery list (gaming wise):

I'll post some impressions later in the VN OT.
I would've included SRW V, but this region locking fuckery is getting me down. :02sad:
Yuno unlocks in 23h? Fucking Spike Chunsoft

Reactions: Kvik and MJunioR

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Code Vein Exist

Bandai Namco promotes the game.

Days prior to Code Veins release Bandai promotes streamers playing the game on Twitch

Game releases on Steam before consoles in the west (Sept 26 vs Sept 27)

Game becomes a top seller on Steam and even gets a banner.

Today I learned that Spike Chunsoft live streamed some YU-NO stuff on Steam (I'm guessing that there was less than 100 people that watched it?)

Spike Chunsoft is different and they do stuff like not sell Steam keys and also give OST samplers to those that buy their games at launch (which I think is a nice incentive... compared to SE who only gives you a wallpaper or two... )

I'm curious if Bandai is familiar with the feature since it does look like other companies know about it and actually use the feature. SEGA EU is aware of the feature and I think they even had a live stream (a person on Twitch was playing the game) when Yakuza Kiwami 2 came out on Steam.

Maybe Bandai is just weird.... after all the pages for Digimon and Doraemon are still not up on Steam....

Or maybe they are just being nice and don't want to take on of those spots from an indie title.

Reactions: NarohDethan

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I decided to look at a list of October releases and saw that SEGA will be releasing the Yakuza 4 remaster on the west later this month on the PS4 (multi plat franchise btw). Then I noticed that we won't be getting anything Yakuza on PC for the rest of 2019. Shit, we may not hear about another port until the second semester of 2020 :loudly-crying-face:

:loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
So Destiny 2 will be unlocked at 12 AM on Oct 2nd for me. Oh, the joy of being in the Eastern part of the world.

Oh well, I doubt the server will hold all the rushing players anyway. :coffee-blob:

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
anyone try this yet? tower defense resource management.

edit: it looks like parts of Factorio and Creeper World ripped apart and jammed together (in a good way).

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
I was trying to organize my library, and I noticed that this seems like a dumb downgrade to me:

From this:

To this?

Why remove all the options to go directly to the community pages (forums, hub, guide, news) and instead force me to click on the game? That's annoying.

Reactions: lashman and madjoki

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
derExperte Can't quote since the other thread was locked but huh. I could swear there was one at some point. Looking at SteamDB, I think it may have been this one from before they released the final DLC. Instead of adding it to it, they retired it and created a new one.

Although if there's a way to see what kind of bundle it was, I can't find it.

I was trying to organize my library, and I noticed that this seems like a dumb downgrade to me:

From this:

To this?

Why remove all the options to go directly to the community pages (forums, hub, guide, news) and instead force me to click on the game? That's annoying.
Probably because most of those options are much more obvious on the new game pages. And since the new library includes both the grid mode and the more detailed pages once you select a game, they probably felt it was redundant and cluttered up the right-click menu for no reason.

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Probably because most of those options are much more obvious on the new game pages. And since the new library includes both the grid mode and the more detailed pages once you select a game, they probably felt it was redundant and cluttered up the right-click menu for no reason.
I agree that they're more obvious than they used to be, but I liked the option of directly navigating to the community area I wanted to be in.

It just feels like an unnecessary added click to no actual benefit to me. Oh well.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Has there been an increase in games getting demos on Steam or does it just feel that way?
I've definitely noticed a few more. It's an easy way to stand out. The Child of Morta demo was very well received and was a great success for the devs.

Reactions: PC-tan

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Might and magic clash of heroes is $2.50 on steam
get it already you schmucks.

tempting.... HoMM always looked like a fun series; HoMM V seems to be especially revered

gotta keep my eyes on the prize of finally getting a monitor though

a penny saved is a penny earned - yknow?

EDIT: Okay I just bought HoMM V for $2.50... grumble grumble

What am I in for, Tizoc ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Samson

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Think I might go for Pine this month. Granted it get at least decent reviews. I'm always up for systems driven open world games! Also have support my neighbours from Europe that isn't Ubi.:D

Reactions: Samson

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
The Visual Novel Book Club for Oktober Spooktober 2019 is up:

This time we follow a choose-your-own-novel format, and I hope that will come join those of us reading spooky visual novels this month.
Don't know what to read? I've collected a selection of both free and paid visual novels suitable for Spooktober 2019, for inspiration.

Among these, The House in Fata Morgana is currently 50% off, for those who want an excellent story set in a spooky mansion:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Wildebeet continuing from last thread (M.A.S.S Builder):
I don't think you're locked out from any parts in the demo, but I don't know if the demo actually contains all the parts from the full game. Though their roadmap already has plans for even more customization options, so I suppose the demo would be outdated eventually anyway.

Reactions: Wildebeet

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Buy this to get a special MC badge from lashman. Only $200. :awwblob:

I plan on getting this figure but since it cost over $200USD (the place I get my figures from is selling it for $220USD but I do get free shipping and they do ship items individually if your total is over $150USD. That's right I can order 10 $15 figures and have them all shipped individually instead of one big package and why would I want that? Because some of those figures release months apart)

Anyway I plan to pick up the game and depending on if I like the game and her in game I may end up buying the figure.

Otherwise I think I will spend $200USD on another figure instead
Nevermind it looks like there were some changes to the place I get my figures from and they now want to charge me to ship to my PO Box. Well it was nice knowing them. I've used them for about 2 years now. Well time to look for another place that sells figures for less than.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.