Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Anyway, skipping the line of thought where I'm still shell shocked by the cynicism of the move and how my life is in ruin and I'm depressed as fuck...

I'm really curious about Dungeon Encounters. Like, is it the most mediocre shit ever or a genuine good idea ? If I had more cash I would buy it.
From what I've seen it's a decent idea, and but with that price tag, and all the other games currently launching (even Square Enix's own Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, which has equally simple gameplay, but quite a lovely presentation; I quite liked the demo), or currently on sale (I have to mention Max Gentlemen Sexy Business! yet again, a game that is currently selling for 1/3rd of Dungeon Encounters' price, and barely anyone gives it a decent look; that game is digital crack; I launched it last night, and ended up spending 3 more hours with the game), it's something I won't buy on day one.

Especially when you know Square Enix will be selling it for 50% off very shortly, or even including it in a bundle.

---

And on a side note, since I keep seeing you say you are depressed, and frequently say you lack cash, while eyeing new software or hardware, you have to find some motivation to save money, balance your finances, and I'm sure you'll feel a lot happier.

I'm guilty of frequently mistaking buying stuff with "happiness", but you reach a point where that doesn't work any more, and you find that it's much more rewarding to have some savings. It allows you to consider other life options, career changes, and other stuff.

There's always things you would like to have (for example, I would like to have VR hardware, to try it out), but you just have to accept it's not possible to get everything, and you have to be more selective in what you do buy. And never compromise something really important to you and your family (food/health budget, for example), to buy a piece of entertainment.

Start playing what you already have, and find some motivation in skipping buying stuff you would like to. ;)
Be honest, how many stuff you have in your Steam library, unplayed? :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
FunktionJCB
Ehhhh, nothing against your post as its full of good solid wisdom, but I would say that these days I'm paradoxically depressed because I... don't buy enough games ? It's evidently worded in a provocative manner but, and I have to keep it short because I don't want to derail the thread too much...

I want a Deck. Portable PC gaming is a dream of mine. So I put my foot on the brakes and really slowed down with the whole purchasing game thing since July. Now, I think the Deck is more or less assured, I will be able to buy it, it won't be exactly great but it shouldn't nuke our finance, all is great ! Or is it.
Stopping game purchases for the sake of entertaining myself in the never ending hamster wheel of consuming stuff made me realize how my life is empty AND my future really fucked. And I have no idea how to unfuck it, because if there is one thing I have historically been good at, it's fleeing from life issues (it actually reminds me of a young girl in a game I played recently, Somnium Files maybe, who at one point says that 'once you flee, it's over, you will always flee').

On a somewhat brighter note, thinking about Dungeon Encounters gave me an idea for a game that I can't seem to get rid off. It's not great because I'm no programmer or artist so what do I do with this shit, but at least I'm not totally dead creatively.

PS. I am freezing, what are those temp I can't. Fuck, no middle ground anymore, hotter than the sun or freezing cold. We really went from four to two seasons.

• Hug
  • Eyes
Reactions: xinek and Tomasety

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Dude had the resources at the right place and the right time. He offered an alternative site when the old site burned down. Now he made 4.5 million off that. Pretty crazy... Also morally weird...
I'm seeing some people upset by this on Era, but I don't entirely understand why it's surprising or bad per se. From the owner's perspective, that site invites questionable people to probe into your personal business, which is less than desirable. It doesn't seem to have been sold to some wholly skeezy business either. And while it was sold for a pretty penny, I would think the site was making ad money regardless so I'm not sure I understand where the problem lies with having made money off the sale.

I do think that if the ad rev was good, mods should've been paid even if the standard is volunteer mods, because I'm sure they get a lot of shit they need to deal with outside of basic mod responsibilities. I don't think the former owner's gonna share any of the sale money now that they're out though :evilblob:

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm following an online course / small guide about
THE TERMINAL
Nothing can stop me naow. Next step, billion dollar game.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I would think the site was making ad money regardless
We know the exact figure. Details are publicly available at:

Sales in the last twelve months (up to and including 31 August) amounted to approximately USD 700,000 with an EBITDA margin of approximately 80%. [...] ResetEra.com's revenue is generated through ads and member subscriptions. M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through a higher share of direct sales, implementation of new ad formats, and a long-term product development strategy.
Ads (and paid subscriptions to remove ads) result in USD 700,000 per year, and only 20% of this amount is needed for site maintenance.
The rest goes directly in the owner's pocket. That is roughly USD 50,000 per month which goes in the site owner's pocket, after paying for site maintenance.

For comparison, Sergey Galyonkin earns 12,000 euros per month via donations for SteamSpy. As far as I know, SteamSpy has no advertisement, only a tracker with Google Analytics which is blocked by uBlock Origin. If we arbitrarily assume that site mainteance for SteamSpy and ResetERA are the same (USD 12,000), then Sergey Galyonkin does not have much pocket money (roughly 1700 €, so still sizeable :evilblob: ) at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Honestly, if Era generated just 50K $ a month, that's about half a million a year. it seems strange why a company would pay 4.5$ million, unless they either plan to ramp up the ads, or monetise it in some other form. That's the issue with selling to a corporation. They aren't a charity and they wouldn't have spend that money if they didn't already have some plan on getting it back, and making more money on top.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Honestly, if Era generated just 50K $ a month, that's about half a million a year. it seems strange why a company would pay 4.5$ million, unless they either plan to ramp up the ads, or monetise it in some other form. That's the issue with selling to a corporation. They aren't a charity and they wouldn't have spend that money if they didn't already have some plan on getting it back, and making more money on top.
Yeah, and most of their other forums (mostly MMO/MOBA and blizzard forums) are barely used, how do they make the money back?

Scenarios:
  • registration without a special/company email, also you could log in with facebook, apple, and google accounts, to grow the userbase
  • special collaborations with companies
  • more ads than ublock origins can handle
  • not paying the tech people anymore, seems like Era volunteers just love to work for free
  • selling our data!

They will also have issues with GDPR, Resetera was never GDPR compliment and now they are a Swedish company and must comply with EU law.

• Eyes

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
unless they either plan to ramp up the ads
That is exactly what they wrote.

M.O.B.A. Network sees significant opportunities to increase advertising revenue through
  • a higher share of direct sales, :wat:
  • implementation of new ad formats, :mmyes:
  • and a long-term product development strategy. :pikachu:
Nobody reads the 2 quoted lines in my previous post, I guess. :toucan:

• Toucan
  • Evil
Reactions: Tomasety and Kiru

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Everybody can own a bit of ResetERA now. I need to figure out how to purchase shares.

Edit: They are MOBA (nice name) on Stockholm's stock exchange. Their stock id is SE0016277909.

You can purchase a share for 38 SEK, which is 3.80 € (easy conversion).
Maybe I could invest ~ 100 € by buying 25 shares. I feel like it is a safe bet, as it is unlikely that the site would go down without Cerium.

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

I should probably migrate my funny pic/vid threat to metacouncil
We have a funny pic/vid thread! Come and join us:

Nabs already mentioned Mon Amour, from Onion Games, is now out. :blobcheer:

There's another Japanese indie game out now, a platformer/puzzle mix, with an insanely catchy soundtrack:

I remember watching Alpha Beta Gamer playing an earlier(?) version of this game.

i'm not sure what this game is, but it has a really cool style
Chet RTed this so there you have it, the name of the game ^^

But much more lovely :lampblob:
Damn, it looks very stylish

Mail Mole, a fun indie 3D platformer, is getting a free Halloween DLC next week:

This will be the second free expansion/DLC for the game since it launched.

More people should play Mail Mole!

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I guess the rumor/leak was true.

Lends credence to Genshin possibly coming later. I bounced off Genshin last year, but would consider it if it could run on the Deck. I think the anti-cheat still messes it up on Linux last I recall.

Honkai Star Rail might be coming to Steam as well. I still don't think Genshin Impact will show up on Steam for a long time since it's already making so much money and frankly doesn't need Steam at this point. Maybe in a few years when the game starts to decline.

Steam is slow and reviews are not viewable for me. :(
Yeah Steam has been extremely slow for me the past day and only overall reviews are showing up.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
We have a funny pic/vid thread! Come and join us:

I am so shy that I don't know if my pic/vid spam every day will be appreciated :cryblob:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That has been in the game series for as long as I remember, they do that to save resources.

RTSS was causing it to crash for me. I read that someone with multi-monitors had to disable all but one for it to run but I have multi-monitors and ran it after closing RTSS.
It went in game consistently after I changed it to borderless mode (and changed other stuff like turn off gsync on my monitor, doubt that was it). It crashed every time I took a screenshot still though so maybe RTSS (with MSI Afterburner) was the cause after all, that's what I use for screenies/temp monitor, fps limits, etc. Coincidentally, after doing that it also loaded way faster and was a breeze to get through all the different load screens and in a mission.

I like how it looks and I bet that if you max out stuff like motion blur, lens distortion and dof (which I think the preset "High" doesn't, it just maxes actual quality features, nice) the people trashing it over World wouldn't even be able to tell an action shot isn't from that game (which has a muddy vaseline look & blurry textures). Still, the shadow rendering isn't great (as in World) and there's a weird LOD lighting/shadowing effect which meant a whole mountain side was changing its color slightly with a sharp line moving forward as I approached, visible with and without DOF that blurs distant stuff, I hope that gets changed.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
That's definitely what's going to happen, they mention things like new ad placements. They're officially a business now and will act like one though in my experience nothing will change right away as they don't want to upset what's already a tinder box. They'll wait for people to calm down and forget before implementing changes that may or may not go over well.

I honestly can't hate the guy for doing this. He saw his shot and he took it. With how forums are declining I'm shocked it was even worth that much and I'd have sold too.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I honestly can't hate the guy for doing this. He saw his shot and he took it. With how forums are declining I'm shocked it was even worth that much and I'd have sold too.
That's how I see it too. Citing health concerns makes little sense, as he wasn't involved in the day to day running of Era and if he needed money for health reasons, then I can't imagine someone who earned half a million a year being uninsured or being unable to afford any treatment.

Getting 4.5 million bucks for a forum is pretty good money.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Not really surprised to see the owner of Era cashing in, tbh. Communities keep leaving left and right; the writing's on the wall at this point. It's either cash in while you can or stick around to watch one mass exodus after another. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I was in that position.

And I really, really wouldn't want to be. We all like to complain about the moderation over there (and with good reason) but the user base in general is pretty insufferable as well. I mean, those clashes with the moderation usually happen after some kind of drama within the userbase. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve each other lol.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The top 8 makes sense. These are the top 4 of group A and group B.

I would like to have ppd's take in 2021.

Edit: :toucan:

• Toucan
Reactions: Vantr

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Some people making 4,5 million USD, while I'm happy I just sold a foil card I listed a year ago for 1,76€. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah I had a Foil Pack sell for 70$ at the beginning of the year - allowed me to buy Resident Evil 8 and Hunt showdown.

No lies, that felt amazing when I saw the notification come through, considering it was on the marketplace for a year.

Deleted member 113

Almost there, Only 2.6 million more foils to sell!
Getting close!
I can almost see the finish line!!!

---

I have foils that don't sell that are older than resetera
As I do. :confounded-face:
Do you think the problem is because we didn't list them at 4+ million? :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

---

I have foils that are only worth like 0.06€. :crying-face:
I have foils that are worth 0,03€, and... they don't sell!

Most times, I just give up and turn them into gems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
When the gems were first introduced, you could buy card packs with them and I bought Agarest card packs (anime harem TRPG) and sold the cards for a hefty profit, just the normal cards.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I got the otherland one no later than 30/12/2015 and still no fucker will buy it. The Dogos one is from 2017 as well.
Sometimes with foils you gotta bite the bullet and take the best buy order. Some of them are just so rare that the market price is way too high for them to ever realistically sell.

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Wok and Tomasety

Deleted member 113

Yeah I had a Foil Pack sell for 70$ at the beginning of the year - allowed me to buy Resident Evil 8 and Hunt showdown.

No lies, that felt amazing when I saw the notification come through, considering it was on the marketplace for a year.
One of the first items I ever sold was some bunny ears hat from a Sam & Max game for TF2.
I got it for pre-ordering the game from the Telltale store (I believe I paid around 12-14€ for the game).

I sold it for... 100€+. And I made 30€ or so more by selling the other items from the same game (if I recall correctly, I got 3 or 4 TF2 items in total for pre-ordering that Sam & Max game).
I ended up pre-ordering Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Resident Evil 6, and several more titles, just with that sale. (y)

Big_Al

Miserable old git
Jan 22, 2019
Cerium you magnificent bastard. Cashed out and out like a bandit. :ROFLMAO: Don't blame him either, i bet you after posting that he's logged out and will never go back..

I'm sure whilst all the community are raging he's all like....

:ROFLMAO:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Cerium you magnificent bastard. Cashed out and out like a bandit. :ROFLMAO: Don't blame him either, i bet you after posting that he's logged out and will never go back..

I'm sure whilst all the community are raging he's all like....

:ROFLMAO:
To be fair sounds like he wasn't logging in for years anyway:LOL:, was just some amazing passive income.

• Toucan
Reactions: Wok and Tomasety
Status
Not open for further replies.