Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I hope it doesn't bomb, seems a good game

I also want a new Deus Ex, but gamers killed it
Eh, splitting a game weirdly in two sure didn't help. Mankind Divided is a great game, but it sold less than Human Revolution for a reason.

Reactions: Tomasety

Deleted member 113

I like the demo of Voice of Cards. The visuals are great for that tabletop/card feeling. I hope the game is harder though, as the fights were challenge-free.
I really liked it as well. :cat-heart-blob:
As soon as I finished it (and I don't finish most demos), I went to pre-order it right away. ;)

It's essentially a tabletop game, with a lovely style (using that "gimmick" that everything is made of cards), and a very soothing, appealing soundtrack.
It felt to me like an older, classic CRPG, but with modern production values.

You are right that the demo was easy, but from what I gather it's a "prologue" that isn't part of the final game, so I assume things will be a bit more complex, and harder, in the final game (the screenshots I've seen appear to show so).

I've read plenty of comments voicing some "disappointment" at what the game is, mostly from fans of Yoko Taro, but as someone who doesn't have much affinity for his work (I only played Nier: Automata, so I haven't followed his work all that closely), I was actually presently surprised about the game.
It appears to channel the sense of imagination, and adventure, from tabletop games, and old text adventures/RPGs, but with a presentation that I found very appealing.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
"The Middle East is rarely used as a video game setting outside of your typical jingoistic military shooter, and those games usually aren't interested in presenting both sides of the conflict. They often perpetuate anti-Arab sentiments instead, playing into stereotypes and dehumanizing tropes that paint Arabs as little more than blood-thirsty insurgents. One of the playable characters in House of Ashes is Salim, a reluctant soldier in the Iraqi Republican Guard. Rather than lazily branding him a villain for being on the opposite side to the Americans, Supermassive does an excellent job of humanizing Salim and making him someone you'll care about and want to guarantee survives. His interactions with the other characters result in the game's best and most poignant moments, while some of the game's other topics--including critiques of the war in Iraq--justify its setting."

The Dark Pictures Anthology: House Of Ashes Review - The Descent

Well I'm curiously intrigued.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Eh, splitting a game weirdly in two sure didn't help. Mankind Divided is a great game, but it sold less than Human Revolution for a reason.
True, it was a weird decision
Yeah, those dastardly gamers forcing a company to abandon a trilogy and ruining the franchise!
Eh, if a game sells poorly I can't be too shocked if a sequel doesn't happen.

But damn, I love Deus Ex :(

Reactions: sk2k and Tomasety

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I continue to quite enjoy FF 15. Story wise I'm still at the very beginning of chapter 3, but I've since spent hours getting driven around while listing to other Final Fantasy OSTs (or Nier), riding (and racing) chocobos, fishing, doing lotsa sidequests and occasionally stumbling upon a dungeon (that usually outlevel me :grimacing-face: , but not always!).
Combat has also grown on me. It's fun!

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
"The Middle East is rarely used as a video game setting outside of your typical jingoistic military shooter, and those games usually aren't interested in presenting both sides of the conflict. They often perpetuate anti-Arab sentiments instead, playing into stereotypes and dehumanizing tropes that paint Arabs as little more than blood-thirsty insurgents. One of the playable characters in House of Ashes is Salim, a reluctant soldier in the Iraqi Republican Guard. Rather than lazily branding him a villain for being on the opposite side to the Americans, Supermassive does an excellent job of humanizing Salim and making him someone you'll care about and want to guarantee survives. His interactions with the other characters result in the game's best and most poignant moments, while some of the game's other topics--including critiques of the war in Iraq--justify its setting."

The Dark Pictures Anthology: House Of Ashes Review - The Descent

Well I'm curiously intrigued.
I saw a full playthrough yesterday, Salim is best character

• Eyes
Reactions: Tizoc and Tomasety

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
So many games in my Steam backlog yet here I am starting another old PS2 RPG.
You're not alone there. I've been thinking about replaying some of the PS2 RPGs myself, but have mostly held off for now because of SMT V. :p

Also, currently playing the Star Ocean 4 remaster since I never finished the game back on the PS3. Dropped it during the final dungeon, I believe. It was very tedious.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Just woke up to a friend sending me a screenshot of a facebook ad for some site saying Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC. I knew something was up when the announcement wasn't even mentioned here so I tracked down the article and lmao.

Which one of you runs this website? :p

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Just woke up to a friend sending me a screenshot of a facebook ad for some site saying Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC. I knew something was up when the announcement wasn't even mentioned here so I tracked down the article and lmao.

tbf, it'll come to PC

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

I don't know how to make sushi, but I kinda want to learn just so I can start a restaurant called Ghost of Sashimi :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Hopefully, they announce this soon, that game looks like a banger

• Toucan
  • Evil

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
apparently Echo Generation is really short by RPG standards, like 10 hours or so, which makes me significantly more interested in playing it. Sounds like it might need some balance patches though

• Eyes

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Dune should have been video game XD

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

it's a very small website so, even tho it will come (I'm absolutely sure of this) do not really take that as a fact of it coming.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
it's a very small website so, even tho it will come (I'm absolutely sure of this) do not really take that as a fact of it coming.
Of course not. I thought it was clear I was making fun of that article.

Besides, who needs some random website's confirmation when the oracles at nVidia have already foreseen its coming? :upside-down-face:

• This!
  • Evil

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Of course not. I thought it was clear I was making fun of that article.

Besides, who needs some random website's confirmation when the oracles at nVidia have already foreseen its coming? :upside-down-face:
Ah sorry, didn't get it as a joke or sarcasm.

• Hug

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
I watched all 4 Evangelion rebuild movies.... why did I do that...
No good or was marathoning back to back the problem? I've been meaning to watch the show but all different versions keep popping up.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

There is also a Dune game in development by Funcom.
I should have been more precise and said proper game :p Action adventure WITHOUTRPG elements XD

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
I continue to quite enjoy FF 15. Story wise I'm still at the very beginning of chapter 3, but I've since spent hours getting driven around while listing to other Final Fantasy OSTs (or Nier), riding (and racing) chocobos, fishing, doing lotsa sidequests and occasionally stumbling upon a dungeon (that usually outlevel me :grimacing-face: , but not always!).
Combat has also grown on me. It's fun!
Just cruising around in the car is surprisingly enjoyable since the world is so beautiful. I also remember really liking the whole "four bros on a roadtrip" aspect of it. Made it feel even more special.

You're not alone there. I've been thinking about replaying some of the PS2 RPGs myself, but have mostly held off for now because of SMT V. :p

Also, currently playing the Star Ocean 4 remaster since I never finished the game back on the PS3. Dropped it during the final dungeon, I believe. It was very tedious.
There are so many to choose from too lol. Started Xenosaga Ep. 1 for the first time this morning (after finishing Xenogears a few weeks ago) but I also had quite a few others on my to-play list.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Just cruising around in the car is surprisingly enjoyable since the world is so beautiful. I also remember really liking the whole "four bros on a roadtrip" aspect of it. Made it feel even more special.

There are so many to choose from too lol. Started Xenosaga Ep. 1 for the first time this morning (after finishing Xenogears a few weeks ago) but I also had quite a few others on my to-play list.
Oh man, I don't think I could ever play through Xenosaga 1 on the original hardware again. Gotta turbo through those long-ass animations, lol.

It's sad the series ended with 3. :crying-face: The third entry has an excellent combat system. The animations in 3 is the exact opposite of 1. Fast and slick.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and pinson

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Oh man, I don't think I could ever play through Xenosaga 1 on the original hardware again. Gotta turbo through those long-ass animations, lol.

It's sad the series ended with 3. :crying-face: The third entry has an excellent combat system. The animations in 3 is the exact opposite of 1. Fast and slick.
I'm actually using PCSX2 for this since I haven't bought my Retrotink 5X-Pro yet and my OG PS2 looks like crap on my TV. But I hear ya, slow animations/battles in old JRPGs are a pain. I was so glad when I replayed FF9 last year with the Moguri Mod and it actually allowed me to speed up the battle animations. It was such a game changer lol

Deleted member 113

As part of the current Tabletop Fest, developer/publisher rokoplay is giving away a free game (you get a choice between Last Resort Island, Fantasy Quest Solitaire, Zombie Solitaire 2 Chapter 1, and The Forgotten Land).

If anyone wants to claim a copy of any of them, check the details of this promotion here:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
No good or was marathoning back to back the problem? I've been meaning to watch the show but all different versions keep popping up.
Watch the ones on Amazon, they are good. But maybe take some time in between. Especially movies 2 and 3. Feels like those movies tool the long breaks in production into account. I dunno.

I actually really liked the last one FWIW.

Actually now that I say this, you should watch the original series first. It's streaming on Netflix if you have that. THEN watch the rebuild movies

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Blu

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
There's a sony event on Wednesday and apparently is going to focus on third-party games, hopefully, they show FF16, I've rewatched that reveal trailer like 1205505 times. Also that Capcom game Pragmata. It looked weird af and I´m all about that lol.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Decided to get GoW day 1, but won't buy it until closer to release. I really enjoyed the game when I played it on PS4, so I can definetly replay it, in opposite to Days Gone which I have yet to buy on Steam as I found it too long and a slog to play through on PS4. I just don't wanna play Days Gone again and not getting it on Steam until a deep sale.

Hoping Returnal is next year. Curious of what Sony plans with Bb and Demon's. I assume they don't want to give PC players 3 Soulslikes in a year (Elden Ring, Bb and Demon's), but who knows. According to that rumor guy from Xboxera, Bb PC is finished.

• Eyes

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I started playing Inscryption yesterday (the card game from the pony island dev)
I have no idea how far i am, but so far this game is an actual 11/10.

like holy shit. This is not a drill.

The thing the game just made me do, is beyond anything i have expected.

the game made me fucking upload files from my computer to damage a boss, with the size of the file being the amount of damage it deals. So i have been uploading hentai pics, which then have been visibly displayed ingame, and one of which is kept hostage by the game, i now have a card ingame tied to the file and if the card dies in combat, the file gets deleted from my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.