Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I see an indie connoisseur.

You have to play TOEM.
Added to the list! Looks nice. Sort of like Alba which was a nice little game about photography.

I do find that more and more these days i go to indie games rather than the big budget blockbusters. Just seem to enjoy them a bit more, bit more variety in game types and not so bloated and drawn out so i can finish them and move on.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I like Bully but time in that game is too fast. I mean i understand that they had to make it faster due to classes but it could be slower so you can do some mission between classes.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I like Bully but time in that game is too fast. I mean i understand that they had to make it faster due to classes but it could be slower so you can do some mission between classes.
i think Bully is the last game that Rockstar released that I genuinely enjoyed from beginning to end. Just a shame the PC version is something of a mess.

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
So what's everyones GOTY thus far? For me Psychonauts 2 with RE Village as a close second.
honestly, not a bunch of great titles that i have played from this year, either because i wasted 600 dollars on P5S deluxe editions and now have no money, or because i simply wasnt interested in them
either SMT3HD or Death Stranding (if it came out this year for PC)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
i think Bully is the last game that Rockstar released that I genuinely enjoyed from beginning to end. Just a shame the PC version is something of a mess.
My favorite game from Rockstar, period. So much creativity.

Steam release of Dragon Quest X Offline. Probably not coming to the west on day one.

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Steam release of Dragon Quest X Offline. Probably not coming to the west on day one.
THIS IS EXCITING!!!! But yeah, I'm not expecting this day one in the west, however I do expect it to come in 2022 for the west, so... we will see :blobeyes: :blobeyes: :blobeyes:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
How is this compared to 2018? Just more of the same but flashier?
It doesn't reinvent the wheel but it does feel like a sizable leap forward from CMS18. Think bigger, better & more badass.

4000-plus unique parts and over 70 car models. New fluids system. Garage expansions, barn finds, junkyard parts hunting, car auctions, etc.

I own all the CMS titles and 2021 feels pretty amazing when set next to previous titles. I mean you're still doing the same line of work, but it feels greatly expanded in scope & polish.

There's a demo on the store page if your curious. As a series fan from the start I couldn't be happier with the latest release.

So what's everyones GOTY thus far? For me Psychonauts 2 with RE Village as a close second.
Right now it's a tossup between Dysmantle and PowerWash Simulator.

Likely go with the former but man PWS makes a compelling argument.

Still there's a lot of time left in the year, and as per usual my Top 10 picks are typically the ones I never saw coming (see: above examples). Most indies just don't have that pre-release hype cycle afforded by 2+ years of press & marketing, so I never really know what's gonna blow my socks off until it actually hits the market.

There are def. unique titles I follow in the genres I enjoy most, so it's not all bumbling around in the dark. For example Distant Worlds 2 and Terra Invicta are still slated for Q4 release and I'm pretty hyped for those. But overall my GOTY lists seem to be dominated by the hidden gems that seem to just come out of nowhere each year.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Huh... looking at my list I played a lot less new releases than I thought.... I guess it's natural between exclusives and terrible regional prices.

From what I did play, it's Psychonauts 2. That game was such a joyful experience that I don't think anything else will top it for me this year.

Though Sable would probably be a lot closer if it wasn't for the technical issues.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Sable does indeed look dreamy.

I'm just waiting for a few optimization passes before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Tomasety
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Got the ending in Echoes of the Eye, didn't get a cheevo so that's sad, but felt like I've done my time with the game. Really nice, but confusing DLC.

I checked up a Steam guide and found out it was the ending after I got it. :p

• Eyes

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I guess the best thing I've played so far this year is either Neir Replicant, DOOM (2016), or Pathfinder Kingmaker.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
My favorite game from Rockstar, period. So much creativity.

HELL YES.
Not coming to the west day one makes sense. I can imagine it's going to take a lot less time to adapt the game to an offline format than to translate all of the dialog and such. If it includes some of the expansions for the game that have released up till now, it'd be massive.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
But this was brand new u_u
Well, you can look at it as skipping that annoying first stage when you try to keep the new thing in pristine condition and feeling somewhat guilty when actually using it.

At least this is what I tell myself when I scratch/mark something I just bought :p

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
i'm gonna spit some facts about hitman 3 because i'm watching knives out and everyone compares that england mission to this movie

i wish that some games had smarter AI that actually mimicked real life, and Hitman 3 is the best example of "yeah, our AI is smart, but not smart enough to offer a nice challenge", and while i do appreciate the fact that now with the new installment, the AI NPC will go and investigate you if you're in a restricted area on camera, and that they will ambush you if you are in an active gunfight, but seriously, this offers minimal challenge to the usual stealthy guy who hits men
i wish more game companies would take qualitative and not quantitative studies of specific game elements like the enemy AI

i wish most of all that the AI would do specific precautions in specific situations, like honestly, what are the guards thinking in situations like:
  • someone got murdered: the guards literally investigate the area for 5 mins, bodybag the body, and continue as if nothing happened, what happened to cutting off the area, making it restricted, protecting other VIPs like the target, calling backup and all of that??
  • a bald guy has an assault rifle and is shooting everyone in sight: what about calling backup? i wish the game spawned in enemy NPCs to counter the whole "bald guy shooting" thing, in the same way the game spawns in enemies in knight armor in the castle level when this exact thing happens, so WHY NOT DO THE SAME BUT WITH SOME SWAT ARMOR OR SOMETHING FOR THE REST OF THE MAPS FOR GODS SAKE
  • extra stuff about the SWAT guys: LIKE COME ON, IS IT THAT BIG OF A HASSLE IO INTERACTIVE, YOU HAVE LITERALLY DONE IT IN ONE MAP, WHY NOT DO IT IN THE REST, i seriosuly wish there were variations in an example like this, as in snipers that are outside of the premises, and guys who go with riot shields
  • where are all the guards: i wish the game had regular checkup on guards, like something along the lines of a command central on the map taking care of guards by walkietalking to them every so often and checking up on them, and if they don't answer, guards check up on them and investigate the area, something like in payday 2 except for the whole limit of 3 walkietalkies and big alarm
hitman 3 was already a weak contender for GOTY this year, as except for the missions, it offered almost nothing new except for a camera that is completely useless on the legacy maps, as well as having weak DLC and post-game content, but I wish the AI was at least more challenging to offer a greater replay experience

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
New World is pretty good for what It is, I'm having a amazing time with It, I'm at work right now and dying to go home and play some more.
I'm really interested in getting it, but one of the main reasons is probably FOMO. My main negative toward the game is not knowing whether or not it's yet another hugely hyped thing that's super popular for a few weeks/months, then you never hear about it again. I don't want to pay full price for that, but I'd pay full price for a game that I'd play a lot and that has an engaged and positive community. I'm also expecting tons of expensive expansions, since it's an MMO without a subscription...

• Eyes

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Well, you can look at it as skipping that annoying first stage when you try to keep the new thing in pristine condition and feeling somewhat guilty when actually using it.

At least this is what I tell myself when I scratch/mark something I just bought :p
I don’t mind it too much as it is directly where my finger rests on the right trigger but it’s still there and can’t unsee.

• Eyes
Reactions: Digoman

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
For me, RE Village still remains my GOTY so far. Unfortunately, ToA isn't going to cut it (I've yet to finish it) because of its flaws outside of combat & presentation. The characters, storytelling & dialogue is definitely made by a Tales of team who's inexperienced in these aspects. And I thought Tales of Graces had bland characters...

BUT, there's still SMT V to play before the year ends. :evilblob:

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Speaking of Hitman; controversial opinion

I do enjoy the new Hitman games but they’re too complex for their own good and I’d rather play Blood Money tbh

It either holds your hand too much via the hint system, or else you are fumbling around in massive levels wondering what to do.
The second is certainly preferable to the first to me but if you want to do the challenges and level up and get the unlocks? Then fugget about it, it’s hand holding time.

I’ll take my last meal before my execution now thanks

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

I do enjoy the new Hitman games but they’re too complex for their own good and I’d rather play Blood Money tbh

It either holds your hand too much via the hint system, or else you are fumbling around in massive levels wondering what to do.
The second is certainly preferable to the first to me but if you want to do the challenges and level up and get the unlocks? Then fugget about it, it’s hand holding time.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Same, when I see videos about them I’m like ‘how was I supposed to know you can do that’

Phoenix RISING

A phoenix always RISES!
Apr 23, 2019
Ann Arbor, MI
www.geeksundergrace.com
Returnal.

It's the 21st-century Metroid game that Nintendo doesn't seem to be capable of producing.

According to Reddit, these are the rules in Romania.
Sucks for ppl who bought plane tickets, and ppl who are already there.

I'm taking off the week of the International. I'm am ready for some pro play.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
These character theme arrangements rule

Also I found my new favorite orchestra instrument

The typewriter

• Eyes

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Expected but nice to see confirmed! This is such a weird project to me, though. Like, this has to be primarily aimed at the West because the MMO is fairly successful in Japan. To me, it feels like they want to bring it over but don't expect a Dragon Quest MMO to do well enough to be worth putting all that work into localizing it. Either that or the MMO is in its last years and they feel the story is a good enough entry into the series to preserve permanently.

Either way, I can't wait to see how it'll compare to the actual MMO. Since Yoshida was on DQX before being tasked with fixing FFXIV, I expect it could be pretty decent. As long as they clean it up and remove all the filler inherent to MMOs.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018

I also prefer the older ones, so insert the "there are dozen of us" gif here.

I appreciate what they are trying to do, but as you said I often found myself replaying levels just following the instructions to unlock things. I don't think I even finish the second one.

So..... I would also like a last meal while standing in line for the execution :p

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
Is no one else playing Unsighted?

This little gem released a few days ago, I had it on my Wishlist since the last Steam Next Fest. I only played 5ish hours today, but I am still enjoying the same things I loved in the Demo: the Pixel Art presentation is gorgeous, the story makes me curious for more and the characters are great. Controls are a bit iffy for the ranged weapons, but tight for the melee ones. Please check this game out, if you like 2D Zeldas or newer games in this genre like Hyperlight Drifter or CrossCode.

Status
Not open for further replies.