Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Why would a work place block gaming sites? I mean if the work gets done then what's the problem?
I'm with you, but if you're paid on the hour, 1 hour paid to read a gaming website is not a really good investment in the eyes of a boss. :disapproval-blob:

But I totally agree : if letting off some steam (pun intended) from time to time makes you more efficient at work, then it must be seen as a good investment.

In the eye of bosses, the problem is that they're 100% sure some people can't help themselves and will neglect work to do "anything else, having fun instead of being productive while being paid".
Or maybe think that if you're able to do all your work in 6 hours and pass the 7th on a gaming site, they should only pay you for 6 hours and let you go home sooner.

I met a lot of bosses that thinks that way.

For the record : I'm writing this while being at work on a paid hour.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It doesn't seem to matter to me if a game was full price AAA or a bundle game or Indie, i'll play it or drop it as i please.
I stopped playing Tales of Arise and finished Star Trek Elite Force 1&2 in the last few days. I'll probably go back and finish Lake tonight before picking up ToA again and then i'll go back and finish Cyberpunk.

I play what i want, when i want to, it's a hobby and entertainment not a job or social obligation.
I agree, and thats a much better way of doing it. :)

I'm with you, but if you're paid on the hour, 1 hour paid to read a gaming website is not a really good investment in the eyes of a boss. :disapproval-blob:

But I totally agree : if letting off some steam (pun intended) from time to time makes you more efficient at work, then it must be seen as a good investment.

In the eye of bosses, the problem is that they're 100% sure some people can't help themselves and will neglect work to do "anything else, having fun instead of being productive while being paid".
Or maybe think that if you're able to do all your work in 6 hours and pass the 7th on a gaming site, they should only pay you for 6 hours and let you go home sooner.

In an ideal world,, the only metric should be whether work has been done or not.
And if not, why? If youre a manager and notice someone isnt doing their work, did you give them enough meaningful work – or did you give them meaningless tasks that arent suited for them? are they feeling appreciated as an employee or do they feel out of place? Or maybe you gave them too much work and it overwhelmed them completely?
as a manager it should be a priority to know these things, or find out whats up. but a lot of managers should absolutely not be managers.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
In an ideal world,, the only metric should be whether work has been done or not.
And if not, why? If youre a manager and notice someone isnt doing their work, did you give them enough meaningful work – or did you give them meaningless tasks that arent suited for them? are they feeling appreciated as an employee or do they feel out of place? Or maybe you gave them too much work and it overwhelmed them completely?
as a manager it should be a priority to know these things, or find out whats up. but a lot of managers should absolutely not be managers.
I don't know where you're from, but in France, managers are often "good" or recognized technical workers that got promoted to managers jobs. But it's a totally different thing to do good work technically, and being able to manage people.
You can be a good manager even if you're not able to do your "managed" workers job, and can be the worst manager ever while being better than your "managed" workers at their job.

The "prestige" to have people "under your orders" is why it is considered as a promotion, as a reward.

But in an ideal world, managers should be people able to keep their coworkers focused, recognized, supported, even if they don't know shit about their jobs.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
It would suck if game devs are not allowed to play games while working :suicide-blob:
Gaming devs should ban gaming forums at work, as the shit we say could be so demotivating.

I believe certain developers do have designated time to play games at work, whether it be the end couple hours on a Friday or end of the month to even play their own games.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I gave myself "VIP IP" at my work because I work as an administrator and have access to firewalls and such. Now I have unrestricted access to the network and I use it to browse blocked gaming websites, and sometimes I even stream games from my home PC when I'm in the office through the Steam Link app.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Gaming devs should ban gaming forums at work, as the shit we say could be so demotivating.

I believe certain developers do have designated time to play games at work, whether it be the end couple hours on a Friday or end of the month to even play their own games.
I was mostly referring to when they are testing their games. To see if certain elements work as intended or not. They are more or less playing a game :D

Reactions: Tomasety

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021

"My boss makes a dollar and I make a dime that's why I read MC on company time"

I graduated and I got my B.S. in Computer Science back in May 2021. I finally was able to get a job at one of the big Indian consultancy companies here in the U.S. Hopefully after the training I will be placed at a decent client where I can hopefully leverage the exp that I get there to land myself at a better place.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Out of curiosity, why do you need the standard drivers?
Same reason people prefer win32 to uwp.

Checked nvidia driver page for nostalgia reasons, wow that 'driver' is almost 1 gig heavily compressed file. That's a lot of spyware, malware and crap.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey and Tomasety

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Are you sure you didn't just beat Act 1? I'm almost 4 hours in and just making it to Act 2.
Uhm how do I explain it.

It doesn’t have the pace and charm of the past Left 4 Dead games. Like sure the campaign is lengthy enough but it lacks that ‘let’s do that again’ factor.

At least it has Doc who is best girl.

• Gib

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Oh my god, I absolutely loved the DLC! Best content I've played all of 2021.

I totally understand if people don't like the stealth parts though.
I don't think there are any stealth parts? If you mean
the pursuers, you can just ignore them. I just walked around with my light out and when I saw one, shined it on them briefly and walked past / walked around. Supposedly if you break line of sight and block your light for a sec it will stop them too but I never had to do that. I eventually walked into one on purpose because I'd completed the area anyway and wanted to see what would happen. Edit: I will at least say they are better designed as an obstacle than the angler fish, and not really the problem with the area even if they do feel completely pointless

My problem was that whole area though, and the mechanics behind "exploring" it. As I mentioned, it's incredibly linear, and you are either looking the right way or know you're looking the wrong way but don't know where right is and have to flail around to find it. The actual lore was interesting, the reveals were interesting, but the entire gameplay for the area was pretty bad because there wasn't really any. It was a walking simulator that prevents you from walking until you do it exactly the way they want, which you again have to just fumble around for to find out. If it was like, a brief interlude, maybe I'd be more forgiving, but it was damn near half the duration of the whole DLC.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Uhm how do I explain it.

It doesn’t have the pace and charm of the past Left 4 Dead games. Like sure the campaign is lengthy enough but it lacks that ‘let’s do that again’ factor.

At least it has Doc who is best girl.
2 hours seems awfully fast though. Even on recruit you'd have to be absolutely darting through the levels to beat it anywhere near that time.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I should say, since I forget some people use the term as a derogatory, I like walking simulators a lot. But they don't have giant open spaces that look open to explore but actually are 99% invisible walls and you can't see where the part you can actually move is. That's what the second half of Echoes of the Eye is: a non-open open space where you can't see what is a path but you can only walk on the path.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
It looks like that Nvidia won't offer Standard versions of their drivers anymore just DCH ones with UWP Control Panel. Good job Nvidia.
Oh crap, seems true, or maybe I need to find them differently, before I just went by the normal path, input models/windows etc., search, find last driver, then after clicking download once it went to the real download/info page, then I copied the real download link and manually removed -dch from the url and it downloaded the normal version. For yesterday's drivers that gives me a 404 :(

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
before I just went by the normal path, input models/windows etc., search, find last driver, then after clicking download once it went to the real download/info page, then I copied the real download link and manually removed -dch from the url and it downloaded the normal version. For yesterday's drivers that gives me a 404 :(
That sounds like a lot of hassle, is this because of a habit or is there a reason to not just install drivers with one click through GeForce Experience? 👀

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What the fuck, Lone Echo 2 released yesterday. It being Oculus Store exclusive sure is hurting the game even though it's Oculus first party game. No advertisment, not seen any reviews, no talk other than a bit on the subreddits for Oculus and VR.

christ on a stick. I loved the first game, but still need to find more info about the sequel.

• Eyes
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
  • Eyes

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

god why does it happen all the fucking time
first the shit with soundsmith and whatever item he talks about in some of his vids
then the fucking exploit with the unusuals making the legendary burning team captain basically worth mud
then this

edit: i swear to god, one time i will collect money, buy EVERYTHING of some rare item, and then delete ALL of it

• Eyes

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
That sounds like a lot of hassle, is this because of a habit or is there a reason to not just install drivers with one click through GeForce Experience? 👀
I don't install bloatware like GeForce Experience. A few clicks and keyboard presses are second nature done in seconds, not much of a hassle to keep my PC how I want it. Not that it's my fault the way to get those driver versions was less convenient than it could be with like, a single click on the Nvidia site or similar.

Last edited:

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
NFT in the context of gaming is a microtransaction. But if properly implemented (and that's a big if) you should be able to trade them and/or sell them to other players. Theoretically, you should be able to cash out whenever you want. You could look at them like TCG cards.
Most are on Ethereum blockchain and somewhat disastrous for the environment (though that'll probably get sorted out in the next 1-2 years), but some are not.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
The Monster Hunter Rise demo crashed twice for me already, I'm glad they have time to polish the release. First launch right after choosing the monster hunter language/icons etc., then after trying to take a screenshot in the first mission's start. Tech seems clumsy overall with that shader compiling crap. Sad it has the same muddy look as World in the shadows and stuff but textures seem sharper and world design so good even at that first spot there. Edit: crash again, screw it.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Seems faithful to the series to me. What was on par about the SR3 or 4 AI in their own time? Seemed as dumb as in Just Cause games and similar where people (not me) seemed to find the fun elsewhere and not the particular mechanics like overall gunplay due to great AI/encounter/weapon design or anything like it.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety
Status
Not open for further replies.