Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Gotta remember it's different to rate a game 7/10 and different for 7 out of 10 potential customers to recommend it (based on their own values which may be recommending a 7/10 game, a 6/10 game, a 10/10 game regardless as it's only a binary system). Just saying, since that was mentioned as almost equivalent. The Steam user rating is not a numerical value in the same way the Metacritic user (or critic) score average where they do get to rate out of 10 (or similar) is.
Yeah, Steam is more Rotten Tomatoes than Metacritic.

Reactions: Tomasety

Deleted member 113

With the Halloween sale approaching it's end (but a couple more sales coming in the near future) allow me to mention a game that is well a look, and that not many people seem aware of.
A kick-ass metroivania, with puzzle elements, multiple characters, lovely pixel graphics, and a insanely catchy soundtrack.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
With the Halloween sale approaching it's end (but a couple more sales coming in the near future) allow me to mention a game that is well a look, and that not many people seem aware of.
A kick-ass metroivania, with puzzle elements, multiple characters, lovely pixel graphics, and a insanely catchy soundtrack.

Also got this on my wishlist. :)

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

I'll echo this recommendation. I didn’t play many 2021 games but it’s my favorite game this year and would’ve been a serious contender any other. One of the top Metroidvanias in recent memory. Its more player friendly blend of Castlevania and La Mulana really hit the spot for me. Lovely, lovely game.

My thoughts on it earlier this year:

Been playing Astalon: Tears of the Earth. This game is great. If you're itching for a metroidvania, it's maybe one of the better choices out there right now? Very, very pleasantly surprised by it. It leans more on combat than platforming, similar to a SotN. Although the platforming is also very competently done and often evokes La Mulana or early Castlevania with all its traps and such -- but less punishing than either of those reference points.

Highly recommend giving it a shot next time anyone's up for a game like this. Inexpensive and seems to be about 15+ hours in length if you're filling out the map, so it doesn't drag too much either. Based on the number of reviews on Steam and the general amount of chatter about it on the internet, it hasn't really taken off. That's a shame because I have not had this much unqualified fun with a game in this style for a long time. Perhaps it's just speaking to my specific tastes, but I see the game on a lot of wishlists from familiar faces (and no other owners, sadly). A big thumbs up from me at least.

There's also a demo on Steam. It's more like a playable teaser, so certain things work a little differently in it compared to the game itself, but it should give you a good idea of the general vibe it's going for.

Last edited:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
To be fair to Guardians of the Galaxy, it's also on EGS and the Steam CCUs don't capture every PC user. At the same time, if their best seller charts are based on anything (lol), it's not selling well there either as it's currently in 16th place based on their latest rankings.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
To be fair to Guardians of the Galaxy, it's also on EGS and the Steam CCUs don't capture every PC user. At the same time, if their best seller charts are based on anything (lol), it's not selling well there either as it's currently in 16th place based on their latest rankings.
I also feel like Deus Ex is probably a much more of a PC centric IP than Guardians and while Guardians is lower than I would have guessed I'm not super shocked it didn't hit the highs Deus Ex was able to get on PC.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The elephant in the room with guardians of the galaxy. Is that it’s a movie game(as far as the public sees it) and no one ever think those will be good. So it not selling well isn’t really a surprise.

something like Spider-Man can manage to do well since it is such a huge IP with such different iterations. Same as with Batman.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
breakthrough case :anguished-face:
I think you should be okay, just isolate and rest. You're very likely to pull through without much more than say a cold/the flu style reaction, on the bad end. Just try to stay positive about it I guess

I'm no sure what to make about this. I feel like it validates how I feel about a lot of games I skip that take a very Uncharted approach to things, but sign-posting is not something I generally have an issue with, since most games suck at doing it at all, let alone in a naturalistic way.. I'd much prefer the little guy and Drax vs a giant arrow or marker on a map, because those insult my intelligence

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
The elephant in the room with guardians of the galaxy. Is that it’s a movie game(as far as the public sees it) and no one ever think those will be good. So it not selling well isn’t really a surprise.

something like Spider-Man can manage to do well since it is such a huge IP with such different iterations. Same as with Batman.
Spiderman only does well when it's a first party relatively good game. Activision used to have trash makers beenox pump out spidey every year which was low quality garbage and sold likewise.

breakthrough case :anguished-face:
Covid vaccines are useless after all.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I think you should be okay, just isolate and rest. You're very likely to pull through without much more than say a cold/the flu style reaction, on the bad end. Just try to stay positive about it I guess
yeah i had the cold earlier in the week, or at least that's what i thought it was :rolleyes:
it was only when i started coughing that i thought i should get it checked

Reactions: Wok

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
yeah i had the cold earlier int he week, or at least that's what i thought it was :rolleyes:
it was only when i started coughing that i thought i should get it checked
If more people were as precautious as that, we'd not be in this muck for as long as we have been. Good of you to check it out.

I wish the indoor mask policies were still a thing here. They're occasionally uncomfortable but that + a high vax rate would have steered us out pretty quickly, I imagine.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
If more people were as precautious as that, we'd not be in this muck for as long as we have been. Good of you to check it out.
i thought i had covid when i ran to the buss in cold weather and started coughing almost all day, alongside burning nose, hairly tickling feeling in throat and a little running eyes

turns out i have some allergy
i have no clue what for

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Wok

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Kind remind me of Castle in the Darkness

• Eyes

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
i thought i had covid when i ran to the buss in cold weather and started coughing almost all day, alongside burning nose, hairly tickling feeling in throat and a little running eyes

turns out i have some allergy
i have no clue what for
I have that too now and then. Like for just one day I'll feel sick as a dog for some reason or another -- probably an allergy or sensitivity to something -- and then the next I'm feeling absolutely fine. Really bizarre! I should get tested for allergies one of these days....

• Eyes

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Arkane is now Wolfeye Studios, and they're still making immersive sims :kissing-face:
Weird West looks good but when I say immersive-sim I really mean big budget, first-person immersive sims. I've played a few indie takes on the genre and none of them were anywhere near the level of Deus Ex, Dishonored, Thief, and the likes. I'm really excited about Gloomwood, though. Based on the demo, that one definitely looks like it has a shot at being truly special.

There's also the System Shock remake that should be fun. Wasn't that supposed to be coming out real soon?

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
I have that too now and then. Like for just one day I'll feel sick as a dog for some reason or another -- probably an allergy or sensitivity to something -- and then the next I'm feeling absolutely fine. Really bizarre! I should get tested for allergies one of these days....
i mean i also got this weird rash that i got all over me that lasted a couple of weeks which then got biopsied to be a reaction to an allergy

but i mean
pshhh its fiiineeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Sad

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Personally i'm enjoying The Good Life and i'm 90% sure i'll be getting GOTG sometime next week given how well it's been recieved by people i've seen playing it and word of mouth type impressions.

ZKenir i think it's been released in a recent update to W11. Some people here had some screens showing google store at least. Well, i think that's what they were meaning to show.

Reactions: Wok

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks GotG looks absolutely shit?
Well, we each have our own tastes... :p

I personally think it's gorgeous. But again, the trailers and media let me thinking it was average looking at best. Terrible marketing.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Well, we each have our own tastes... :p

I personally think it's gorgeous. But again, the trailers and media let me thinking it was average looking at best. Terrible marketing.
I'm not sure Stevey is necessarily talking about graphics. For me it's a game I acknowledge that it exists at this moment in time and will have forgotten about in about 2 weeks because I just find it uninteresting as hell. And I feel like it's a shame that this development team that has made games which I adore, is now working on something that I wouldn't play even if someone gifted it to me. 🤷‍♀️

Considering the Deathloop discourse in this thread, I'm sure people understand this position.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
And I just remembered that Alan Wake Remastered came out too and as far as I can see that game bombed on PC hard. I really don't know what they were thinking by charging 30$ for it. Even Steam release wouldn't save it at that price.
Remedy has been pissing off the PC gaming community with greedy business decisions since the cancellation of the PC version of the original Alan Wake. No wonder they failed to build a decent fanbase on PC, but it's obvious they just don't care.

Anyway, I'm done with them.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Same developer. ;)

But, personally I find Astalon to be a significant step up, quality-wise.
Wait, is it? The Steam store pages list different developers and publishers.

And isn't Castle in the Darkness II in the works? Is it being made by someone else then?

Status
Not open for further replies.