Community MetaSteam | October 2021 - Guardians of Ashes: Maiden of Empires

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Me: "hmmm.. Greedfall is on game pass, might as well download it and try it for 30 min to see if it's a worthy addition to my wishlist"
plays game for 30 min
Me: "yeah, this is good, gonna add it to my Steam wishlist"
Steam: "You already own this game"

Lashley

One more thing...
Me: "hmmm.. Greedfall is on game pass, might as well download it and try it for 30 min to see if it's a worthy addition to my wishlist"
plays game for 30 min
Me: "yeah, this is good, gonna add it to my Steam wishlist"
Steam: "You already own this game"

I'm bad for buying games I don't play, but not THIS bad

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I'm bad for buying games I don't play, but not THIS bad
It has happened at least once before, a year ago or so, was so damn confusing and got a bit annoyed with myself. Xbox servers was slow, so took hours to download the game. Still haven't played it and don't remember what it was, so can easily happen again. :p

I do have 4,300+ games on my account, so browsing my library always comes with shock and suprises.

Deleted member 113

Wait, is it? The Steam store pages list different developers and publishers.

And isn't Castle in the Darkness II in the works? Is it being made by someone else then?
Castle in the Darkness was made by Matt Kap (who was also the pixel artist on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth).
He then created the company LABS Works, who released Astalon: Tears of the Earth, and are now working on Castle In The Darkness 2.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Trying to play Halo 5 using XCloud (that just become available this month over here) before Infinite launches.

Either the servers or a connection somewhere is overloaded since the game is blurry. Another thing to worry about in the "streaming future".

But it is surprisingly responsive, even if I suuuuuuuuuuuck at trying to aim with a controller.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Nabs

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Castle in the Darkness was made by Matt Kap (who was also the pixel artist on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth).
He then created the company LABS Works, who released Astalon: Tears of the Earth, and are now working on Castle In The Darkness 2.
Ah, I see. Cool. I loved Castle in the Darkness so I'm definitely in for both of these then!

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Finished gotg. It was incredible and held strong from start to finish. It's rare to see game stories stay interesting for the entire length, even with ones that are considered great, but gotg pulled it off. Sure the combat got a bit repetitive in the last few chapters and I had long run out of upgrades to buy like 5 chapters before the end which made resources worthless, but the constant engaging banter by the teammates and the overarching story made me always want to keep going. It's insane how much unique dialog there is and how even doing mundane things like going on a side path to find a collectible can lead to the group giving you a bunch of shit for losing focus. It doesn't happen in a rare place or two either it's virtually everything you do in the game that leads to unique dialogue. It's like they crafted these areas specifically with that goal in mind to make dull resource gathering more interesting. Collectibles can even lead to new optional conversations with the team on your ship that provides background on them or little lore drops, they're not just achievement fodder.

One thing I really appreciated was that it felt like I had been on a grand journey with the sheer amount of unique places you go to, each with wildly different art styles. The game is full of little details and easter eggs that most will probably miss too, they really didn't hold back on the care put into this. I mean you can use photo mode and zoom in on post it notes and you'll see messages and troll comments they leave each other on the ship. I don't know if this is my game of the year yet but it's definitely the most surprising game I've played in a long time.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm looking at reddit and and is funny how just one year ago Uncharted on PC sounded like a crazy idea.

By the way the thing about YsoP is like you would imagine, he did share that picture of HZD on the Win 3, he mentioned how he was not even able to order the Steam Deck because pre-orders are not even up yet in Japan and then about a week later Valve ends up sending him one after seeing the tweet.

Gabe, where is Yoko Taros Steam Deck?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just wanted to say thanks for all the love and support i got on my last post. I'm still alive and stuff, just everyday is tough and hard to stay motivated.

I heard Yoko Taro put out a new game... is this true?

i was the caretaker for my mother when she had cancer, and every day was like going uphill more or less. even if at times it feels dehumanizing, just remember that pain won't be there forever! sending it into complete remission will have you feeling better in time.

i'm so sorry you're going through this, you will know better days again.
thanks. When i first read this weeks ago, i thought that "dehumanizing" was an... interesting way to put it. But i think i understand better now. Sometimes it really is. And oddly enough at other times it's also very humbling and perhaps making me feel more "human" than ever. In a weird and kinda dark way I guess. 😓

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
GotG and Avengers both not being a commercial success just shows that it was always about the films with the IP. The characters in those movies were everything.

For games its Spider-Man and Batman. And ofc those are the biggest moneymaking brands when it comes to cape shit so it makes sense.

I bet Avengers would have done much better if Spider-Man was a launch character. And for all platforms. They created a ton of negative PR for that game before it released and they did it for no reason lol.

I don't see Gotham Knights or SS doing good either. Even if Rocksteady makes a masterpiece it will do half the numbers of City. Maybe a little more.

I wonder if Insomniac pulls it off with Wolverine. The character is very easy to make a good game out of and Sony's marketing machine is usually good. They have to really fuck up for it to be a dud imo.

Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
GotG and Avengers both not being a commercial success just shows that it was always about the films with the IP. The characters in those movies were everything.
There’s a reason Nintendo cast Chris Pratt ad Mario. Dude makes bank.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Every game that is designed for series s has a 60 mode. At least that Ive seen so yeah I'm quite surprised. I honestly thought it was the norm.

Edit; no wait that Medium game was also 30 only.
I think 60 fps will become increasingly rarer as we move out of the cross-gen period. Series S has a third of Series X's GPU grunt so it is unlikely to be able to offers 60 fps on GPU-limited games without severe (sub-720p on Very Low settings severe) compromises.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I think 60 fps will become increasingly rarer as we move out of the cross-gen period. Series S has a third of Series X's GPU grunt so it is unlikely to be able to offers 60 fps on GPU-limited games without severe (sub-720p on Very Low settings severe) compromises.
I think pubs are understimating just how jarring 30 fps will be for people who have been conditioned for the past year to expect 60.
So I hope 60 (or optional 60 with medium settings) will still be a thing for the next few years.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Alexandros the series x is meant to be 4K at 60, so 1080p at 60 for the series s is doable. That is the difference in power. I don’t mind games even going to 900p at 60. Graphics settings haven’t seemed to be affected that much this far.
True, but we haven't seen any pure next-gen games yet. If games continue targeting 4K60 on high-end consoles I agree that 1080/60 would be doable on Series S, however I believe that next-gen games will start targeting much lower resolutions and get to 4K through reconstruction. For example, Unreal Engine 5's demo targeted a 1440p native res on consol.e

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I have yet to buy Avengers despite finding it fun at the free weekend because no Evans as Cap.

Otherwise I tried the GOTD cloud demo on Switch, felt pretty bad to play, but "liked" it, so Im definetly getting the game on Steam in the future.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Even if the Series S can't do a solid 60, developers should be offering the option to uncap the framerate for people connected to VRR displays. Even if the game only hovers around 40-45 FPS, that actually makes a significant visual difference. I remember comparing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in 60hz (30fps) mode to the 120hz (40fps) mode and it's quite remarkable how much better it feels to play.

The attitude seems to be that it's a niche feature and they're still stuck in a "lock to 30" mindset when they can't hit 60. It's not helped by the fact that Sony don't support VRR on PS5 just yet. My view is uncapping the framerate in your game will pay dividends in the future, especially when we're looking at backwards compatibility in 7-10 years from now.

Maybe when Sony decides to enable VRR on PS5 we'll see more developers putting support in.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Add a non steam VN to Steam. No good banner on steamgrid.
Enjoy.

For fuck's sake, it's not like I'm even adding a super exotic game, just the 18+ Fruit of Grisaia.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I noticed that you can start a NG+ in ToCS2 while still importing a save from the first game, thus getting the best of both worlds.
So after procrastinating a lot I decided to start from ToCS with my replay, been extremely busy (and the little time I had I spent on gacha) so I just started today.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm back to the same old 'how the fuck could I backup my important files' in a reliable manner.

Tried One Drive and it's a sad joke. I had no intention of setting a backup of Documents, but the mother fucker insisted on not doing any backup since 'Dies Irae - Amentes Amentes' in a subfolder of Documents is a FORBIDDEN WORD, woooh, bad word is bad.
And anyways it immediately hide all my desktop icons in a fucking one drive folder and it can burn.

I then checked my Google Backup and it apparently still haven't saved some ebooks from days ago.

-> Clownshoes all around.

I wonder if it wouldn't be for the best to just buy a small external hd and do a weekly backup. But then again some of the directories are full of little files and it takes ages.
What would you do, my friends ? Would you go external ?

• Eyes

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
You want some form of off-site redundancy for it to be a proper backup, so I don't think a portable drive is going to cut it. If you had a fire at your place, and the computer and USB stick were both in the same place, there's a chance that the data would be lost.

But it'd do the trick as a quick local backup in case your computer's HDD fails and you need to quickly restore your documents.

I've use OneDrive since I stopped using Macs for work and it does what I need it to do: keeps my documents backed up offsite, but obviously you're not happy with that so we can scrub that option.

Have you tried Mega? I know most people use it to share pirated stuff but from what I can gather it will happily encrypt and backup folders in the background. But I haven't used it in a while and there's a new client, so it may be a bit of a shitshow. On the plus side, you get 50gb free so you can really put it through its paces before you have to pay.

I wouldn't recommend it for a corporate setup, but for personal docs it's probably good enough.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I have nothing against one drive in theory, except that it's fucking far pricier than Google if you need 1tb. But I clearly don't know how to use it, it clearly is picky about my files name and... it's linked to my Microsoft account. If it found some files of dubious origin, Microsoft could fuck my account, right ?
Now I'm a good citizen, but still :flushed-face:

Otherwise it would be cool, it's integrated in windows after all.

I just want to make sure, at the minimum, that my family pictures and ebooks are safe, that's all. Why is it so convoluted and unreliable (I checked and no Google, my up to date backup is absolutely not up to date).

Last edited:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Strange that Google isn't syncing for you. They recently changed their Desktop client so maybe something got borked over there? I find it worse than the previous one (no Google, I don't need a G: drive letter) but still functional at least.

Even the very old backup "rule" 3-2-1 (three copies, two medias, one off-site) says you need to have your backups somewhere far away... so yeah, I don't think just an external drive is enough.

Don't have any good recommendations though since I'm using Google - but encrypting some sensitive stuff before. Probably stupid but hey... it's Google. Dropbox used to be very reliable, but it's more expensive and the minimum paid plan is 2TB.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I followed the trouble shooting page and it seems closing and relaunching GDrive at least made it check the backup. Waiting for the check to be done, but even if that works, how can I put faith in a service that might stop doing its thing, for reasons, without warning.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I don't think i really have anything worthwhile backed up. It's mainly data like save games, old installers and images etc but seeing as i haven't looked at most of it for years i'm not too bothered tbh.

I have a bunch of external drives i use for backing up downloaded installers, save games and youtube streams i've ripped that i need to sort out and label up. Most of the time a backup for me is to avoid having to download it again but i need to fire up my NAS and look into buying a new one and getting some offsite datastorage too for the stuff i want to keep but will never look at again. Storage is quick but retrieval is where they start to charge you the big money.

I don't have anythng of a "sensitive" nature to be backed up so that's not an issue and anything like personal documents i'll use an obscure format like arc and store it in a secure gzip or tarball or something. Time to hit reddit again to see what NAS stuff they recommend this year unfotunately it's going to cost a few hundred quid but hey-ho it's worth it. Is home SSD NAS usable these days? I'm not one to keep it running 24/7 i just fire it up when i need to use it.

Li Kao EVERYTHING on your PC has the potential to stop working. Stop worrying about it and just check it now and then or i'm sure there's scripts you can run via Task Scheduler that will check the services are running and backing up your data. If the data is that important then archive it manually to be sure.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

For games its Spider-Man and Batman. And ofc those are the biggest moneymaking brands when it comes to cape shit so it makes sense.

I bet Avengers would have done much better if Spider-Man was a launch character. And for all platforms. They created a ton of negative PR for that game before it released and they did it for no reason lol.

I don't see Gotham Knights or SS doing good either. Even if Rocksteady makes a masterpiece it will do half the numbers of City. Maybe a little more.

I wonder if Insomniac pulls it off with Wolverine. The character is very easy to make a good game out of and Sony's marketing machine is usually good. They have to really fuck up for it to be a dud imo.
I think it's hard to say for sure why some succeed and some don't. I have a feeling that avengers being so bad hurt the perception of gotg. Some people didn't even know it was a single player game, they just assumed it was GaaS because avengers was and it's from the same company. Marketing definitely comes into play too and it was awful for gotg. It made the game look generic at best and they didn't show anything that made the game good which is why it's surprising the hell out of everyone who takes a chance on it.

As for batman and spider-man, we had decades of games in both IPs that didn't make any noticeable impact until their breakout moments with Arkham Asylum and SM2018. In those games' cases the IP didn't really matter they had to be amazing games too in order to sell the way they did. Marketing likely played a big role too as in SM's case they had the sony hype machine behind it too.

Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
By the way after 10+ years my Google account is now 90% full. I have over 8GB that are just my emails that I can delete to save space but I think I might go for one if those Google 1 plans since it's just $30 for 1 year to do the 200GB plan. I might do this to back up mostly photo stuff.

In some cases I have tried to save some of my game save files this way by using Google Drive.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.