Community MetaSteam | October 2022 - The phantom thieves & Friends will take your wallet this month, holy f***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I love me some Rimworld and bought the expansions on day one up until this time. I feel its unreasonably expensive and sale time only now.
Devs also seem to forget that us game players are busy. Fail to grab us day-one and out of the mind, into the past and stacked onto the "when its on-sale" pile it goes.
I'm not gonna try to talk you into it but just for clarity's sake the exorbitant DLC price is actually justified this time around. (To my surprise as well. I was also in the WTF camp when I first looked at the pricetag.)

I put about a dozen hours into RimWorld over the weekend and Biotech is thus far proving to be the biggest shakeup the game has seen in years.

A dozen hours is really nothing when it comes to this genre so I haven't fully explored all the new mechanics yet, but I've sussed out quite a bit so far. From a top level you can think of the DLC as consisting of 3 unique forks. Children, mechanoids, and gene mods.

I spent the most time exploring gene splicing and xenohuman factions and that alone feels like a complete gamechanger. I believe at the moment there's over 200 unique gene traits that allow for wholly new species creation. Once the modders get ahold of this subsystem I expect this to rapidly expand.

Biotech comes with a couple new scenarios, Vampires and Mechanoid lord.

Looking at the vampire (Sanguophage) profile alone gives you a sense of the possibility in the future for custom-character shenanigans. Esp. when you factor in the Workshop community.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but the trait modification system being slotted in here is giving me some serious Caves of Qud vibes regarding character and playstyle diversity.

And I haven't even seen the child raiders yet!

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
In other news, I finally sold my PS5 today. Happy to see the back of it.

Easily Sony's worst console. Aesthetically it's just a real ugly system, it has overpriced games and what games there are aren't really all that appealing enough to own the console for.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
There may be other ways to beat it, but what worked for me was getting the Crimson Shroud and the Infinite Corridor. I did it in the Library as the Metaglio parts are near the rings.
Yeah, reading up on this earlier. Have managed to get the Infinite Corridor but not managed managed the crimson shroud yet. Will have another go later.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
In other news, I finally sold my PS5 today. Happy to see the back of it.

Easily Sony's worst console. Aesthetically it's just a real ugly system, it has overpriced games and what games there are aren't really all that appealing enough to own the console for.
I feel like they nailed the look of an old wifi modem, with some envelopes on the sides.

Just as Microsoft nailed the look of a mini fridge with the Xbox Series X.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I bought PS5 with Playstation Plus Extra and I don't plan to spend any more money on it in the foreseeable future. The only Playstation consoles I owned were PSP and PS Vita, so right now I am enjoying games I never had an opportunity to play like Shadow of Colossus, God of War, Gravity Rush 2, etc. I also refuse to pay $70 for a new game. I am a patient gamer so I have no issue waiting until it's like half the price or even less.

Stealth Edit: I agree that this might be one of the ugliest major console ever. I tucked it under my desk so I don't have to look at it.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
why does it feel like there's a new weeb game releasing everyday?
knowing this, why do weeb gamers still complain that X game is not on steam?

• Gib
Reactions: prudis

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The Steam store offers dozens of payment methods, spread across 39 different currencies, which allows developers to connect with customers across the globe. Managing all of these prices and currencies is cumbersome-- especially for studios with multiple games and DLC. Today, we are introducing a new tool to make it easier to manage your product's pricing on Steam.

We're also updating our pricing recommendations to provide more accurate guidance to developers who choose to use those suggestions. As always, these are purely recommendations, and developers will continue to set their own prices across all currencies on Steam.

Changes to the Pricing Tool

We’re simplifying the way developers manage their prices in Steam. It’s now easier to control the timing of price changes, and review prices for any errors or anomalies—for instance, if you accidentally typed in a price of €500 when the rest of your currency prices are closer to €5.

Users with pricing permissions in Steamworks can access the tool here, and the documentation tutorial can be found here.

We also made a tutorial video, available in the documentation pages and also on YouTube, for a visual demonstration of the new tools.

Some highlights:

• A clear summary of price changes, with warnings for currency prices that are drastically higher or lower than the rest of your currencies.
  • An integrated CSV import/export with a preview function.
  • A simplified flow for updating all packages to match recommended currency conversions.

Pricing Recommendation Update

For many years, our team has provided pricing recommendations as a guide for developers who may not have the time or resources to sift through all 39 currencies Steam supports (it’s a lot!). These recommendations represent how we would price a game in other currencies, given a base price in USD. For instance, these suggestions might be helpful if you’ve already decided to charge $19.99 USD but aren’t sure what to charge in Qatari riyals or Norwegian krone.

We think it’s a helpful guide, but with purchasing power and foreign exchange rates constantly evolving, we needed to make significant changes to those conversion recommendations to stay current.

The new recommendations are now live-- but as always, developers on Steam are in control of their own pricing. Any given product could use our recommended conversions for all, some, or no other currencies.

We’re also committing to keeping this guide as valuable as it can be by establishing a more regular cadence to review prices. We’ll take a close look at these recommendations on an annual basis, and make adjustments accordingly.

Many game devs have asked about how we determine these currency conversion recommendations, so we wrote up an explanation in our documentation here.

What should you do next?

The new pricing tool is already live, but there's no requirement or expectation that you make changes. The next time you’re reviewing a product's prices, you will be able to see our current recommendations as you set your final prices.

A couple other notes:
  • Price increases generate a 28-day cooldown on discounting for all regions (even if you are just increasing the price in a single currency). Some developers choose to wait to make price changes until after a discount, when the product is already on discount cooldown.
  • Valve develops and sells games on Steam as well. We'll be updating our own game prices to match the new recommendations.

If you have feedback or bug reports on the new pricing tools, please let us know in the comments, or by sending our team a message.

And as always, if you need to contact the Steam team for help on any technical or business topics, you can reach us any time via the partner support tool.

FAQ

Is Valve changing or editing my prices?

No. Just like always, publishers set their own prices on Steam. Your prices won't change unless you manually submit and publish new prices.

What if my game doesn’t follow your recommendations?

That’s fine! Your prices are between you and your customers. Whether you follow or diverge from our recommendations doesn’t impact any of our store visibility systems.

Why is Valve's recommendation in Currency X higher or lower than the direct foreign exchange rate?

As we mentioned above, foreign exchange rate is just one of many factors we weigh when calculating recommendations. If you're interested in learning more about our decision-making process, check out the documentation.
they also updated the recommendations now, and ... jesus fucking christ on a bicycle

that's fucking insane

Last edited:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

they also updated the recommendations now, and ... jesus fucking christ on a bicycle

that's fucking insane
If it wasn't enough that most publishers weren't following the recommended pricing to begin with, now the handful of publishers that do follow it might end up raising their prices.

Thanks for nothing, Valve.

Gintaro

MetaMember
Feb 20, 2021
Malaysia

that's fucking insane
I can only speak for my country region pricing but the new changes for MYR is acceptable even though it's having a increase. Our currency is performing pretty bad these few years causing the previous recommended price to be a bit too low IMO.

Hopefully this does encourage more dev to follow the regional pricing but I also feels bad for the region changes that haves worse pricing recommendation with the new changes. :disappointed-face:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
  • Sad
Reactions: lashman

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Well that sucks. I guess I'll have to stick to my plan of just buying games twice a year - during sales.
That sucks for people who actually get regional pricing, here in Venezuela we're stuck with the US dollar since our currency is basically worthless lol

• Sad

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
This is literally everything people complain about in the Nu-Tomb-Raider games, but with a penis-haver as the MC.

And yes, I've played ND games before shitting on them. Even the ill-fated Vita Uncharted! (Which at least tried to use the Vita hardware in interesting ways.)

========

I'm homeless by Dec. 5th. Circumstances were out of my control, and it's taking everything I have to not just melt down and give up. So I might not be around much for November. I'm gonna scrounge up every penny I can, I'm gonna make phone calls, and I'm gonna cash in every favor I'm owed, and every good grace I ever earned. I never want to burden others, but I have to get back to NY or die trying. Simple as. I've got the moving truck situation figured out, I'm gonna sell a lot of my shit. I'm just worrying how I'll keep the truck full of gasoline on the 2,000 mile journey back to safety. :slightly-frowning-face: Life's a bitch, but I survived Cancer, and I'll probably survive this too. I don't wanna sit around and rot. So I attempt to make the journey no matter what.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
  • Sad
Dec 5, 2018
On the one hand, I'm surprised It took them so long to update it.
On the other, I wonder how the Euro -> Dollar conversion will be now for big games, I doubt they're gonna keep the 1€=1$ for long (even if some were already ignoring it). And that's not even looking into certain markets that got hit hard.

Last edited:
  • This!

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
On the one hand, I'm surprised It took them so long to updated it.
On the other, I wonder how the Euro -> Dollar conversion will be now for big games, I doubt they're gonna keep the 1€=1$ for long (even if some were already ignoring it). And that's not even looking into certain markets that got hit hard.
80€, at least for Sony games. I'd guess.
70€ if we're lucky.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Oof, highest price increase in SEA region. $28 regional price for $60 US is pretty good tbh, considering the console alternatives here which is pretty much 1:1. Don't know if it will have any impact other than raising other publishers price that's still following the guideline though. Seems to be wishful thinking for AAA publishers anyway. Ah well. Sales, bundles and game pass is still an option,

Oh, and actually playing the games I guess. That's an option too. Maybe.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Welp, seems I'm back to waiting for minimum 75% off sales.
I'm not sure anything will change for Europe. $59.99 has been €59.99 for years already. But I feel for people living in countries like Argentine and Turkey. 😕
Oh, and actually playing the games I guess. That's an option too. Maybe.
Don't be ridiculous! 😁

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I'm not sure anything will change for Europe. $59.99 has been €59.99 for years already. But I feel for people living in countries like Argentine and Turkey. 😕
True but I do expect AAA to try and go higher, I do think 69.99 will become more normal since console now is at 79.99. Biggest change I think will be for Indies where they will start becoming more expensive.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

that's fucking insane
Even if it is (much) higher than the previously recommended pricing in some regions, the reality is, that most publishers price it even much much higher.

I think the goal is, that some publishers now use the recommended pricing because it is more in line with their own "reality"

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I think the goal is, that some publishers now use the recommended pricing because it is more in line with their own "reality"
which they won't do anyway, if anything - it'll give them an excuse to go even closer (or higher) to 1:1 conversion

but it WILL affect all the small indie games who were still following the recommendations, so now even those will be completely out of reach in the poorest regions

Status
Not open for further replies.