Community MetaSteam | October - The size of this adventure is spooky

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I really wouldn't count any of those as JRPGs for the purpose of looking at this market segment.
I mean, if you count Dragon's Dogma 2 then you basically have to count Elden Ring, and then the discussion is just over.
True, it's the problem of a genre that is so broadly defined, what counts as JRPG, what doesn't count as one, where do we draw the line.
Granblue Relink, I think is kinda in-between traditional JRPGs and something like Monster Hunter, so I wonder about counting it too?

On another note, Metaphor just broke the Persona 3 Reload CCU, likely to surpass Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth soon too.
EDIT: Just surpassed LaD:IW.

Reactions: edin

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Metaphor since the announcement felt "underrated" by many (which is something I disagreed on considering the dev's pedigree), and way more people never thought it could be a GOTY contender since the first announcement, yet the game is on its way to be the fastest selling Atlus title (it already is on pc)
For me, this is a testament on how much "marketing" has changed. This has been a year with a high amount of high profile bombs, some very catastrofic. It feels like the "old" type of marketing is no longer working. If a well known streamer did a paid Concord stream at launch it lost subscribers, if a game you don't care about appears at the TGA or SGF you just tab out and pretend it never existed, twitter engagement or youtube views mean nothing, "I didn't even knew this came out already" is one of the sentences I read the most this year and in many cases it was referring to games that had multiple trailers in many high profile streams, critic reviews have basically no value. And yet "unexpected" games are doing amazing numbers on Steam since the year started
I can only speculate we're seeing the first steps in a new kind of marketing:
1) The first reveal is the most important and it's imperative to have all the pages ready to go to get as many wishlists as you can
2) Early sales and pre-sales help the game appearing more on a store main page, making it easier for people that missed the announcement or release to notice it
3) Actual player interactions seem to have a much bigger impact instead of critics and professional streamers, which makes the 2 above points even more important
4) Launch numbers and comparisons give the "unc0nvinced" a bigger picture on how the game is doing and when you can expect the first sale, which may convince some of them to get the game early, further improving on point 2

Ironically, all 4 of those points are also in Steam favors. I'm more and more convinced Steam is doing a much better "marketing" than the actual companies may think. Of course there is also the opposite side in how Steam is also much better at doing "anti-marketing" when your release sucks

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I really wouldn't count any of those as JRPGs for the purpose of looking at this market segment.
I mean, if you count Dragon's Dogma 2 then you basically have to count Elden Ring, and then the discussion is just over.
I kinda want to do this (because I like shitting on it) and kinda don't want to do this (because I like that it bombs so hard in comparison):

But we have to take FF16 out of the comparison. Because it is also not a JRPG. :shrugblob:

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
So are the AC Valhalla dlcs good? Thinking about grabbing the complete edition.
They are basically more of the same. I kinda didn't bother with hem even though i have season pass XD I got burned out just by playing main game so more of the same was too much for me.

• Gib
Reactions: Parsnip

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I played three-ish hours of the Metaphor Demo on my OLED Deck - liked the game, but quit because of the performance issues. Did they (or rather the modders) fix the performance so it's at least stable 30 now on Deck? Fomo hitting hard with those launch numbers...

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024
Metaphor crossed Tales of Arise then.

I played three-ish hours of the Metaphor Demo on my OLED Deck - liked the game, but quit because of the performance issues. Did they (or rather the modders) fix the performance so it's at least stable 30 now on Deck? Fomo hitting hard with those launch numbers...
The new patches helped a lot. What I recommend is 100% render scale. 30fps cap. I retested the entire game on my build and it barely drops below 30 in two locations and not below 28/29fps in my experience.

Reactions: sprinkles

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
New generations will be able to experience the glorious achievement of game design known as Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness :wd_praise:
I remember early in the game you are hunted by cops through an apartment building, with gas rising from the floor.
You can literally save yourself into a dead-end where you cant escape the gas anymore, basically breaking your playthrough.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I remember early in the game you are hunted by cops through an apartment building, with gas rising from the floor.
You can literally save yourself into a dead-end where you cant escape the gas anymore, basically breaking your playthrough.

• Toucan

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Remnants 2 is very good indeed. I didn't like the first area on the misty planet, but the levels after that are incredible. The burning towns even gave me Bloodborne vibes, incredibly well done!

So are the AC Valhalla dlcs good? Thinking about grabbing the complete edition.
The base game wasn't long enough for you? 😁

KingKrouch

Dec 14, 2021
Giving Metaphor's demo a shot again on the Steam Deck to see how it performs, and it still wildly fluctuates between 40-50FPS in the cave area. I think the optimizations they did were rather minimal compared to what that rendering blogpost mentioned.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Giving Metaphor's demo a shot again on the Steam Deck to see how it performs, and it still wildly fluctuates between 40-50FPS in the cave area. I think the optimizations they did were rather minimal compared to what that rendering blogpost mentioned.
lock it to 30. Before, it wasn't even possible to run it at a locked 30, now that's possible with ease. It's a turn-based game, so 30 should be fine.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
They are basically more of the same. I kinda didn't bother with hem even though i have season pass XD I got burned out just by playing main game so more of the same was too much for me.
More of the same sound good to me tbh. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I haven't played an AC game since Odyssey which was sometime in 2020, and only a few other open world games in between then and now so I think I'm ready for some open world slop. :blobgamer:

The base game wasn't long enough for you? 😁
I haven't played it. :toucan:

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Not gonna lie, I'm surprised by the numbers Metaphor is pulling because it's a new IP.

Angel of Darkness being remastered was also a big surprise for me and I hope they fix the bugs

• This!
Reactions: ExistentialThought

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I finished the first main dungeon in Metaphor. It's good. I'm also playing on hard and it actually lives up to its name. I think I've died more times in the first ~10 hours than all my Persona playthroughs combined.

Reactions: Cacher

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
New generations will be able to experience the glorious achievement of game design known as Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness :wd_praise:
I don't think they could make it any worse than it was at launch, so I'm all for this kind of remake.
Do it for old games that actually need improving.

Reactions: Shantom

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
You know I've heard from some folks over the years that Angel of Darkness is actually not that bad after fan patches, but I never got around trying it myself.
So I'm very curious about the remasters in that sense too.

• This!

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
You know I've heard from some folks over the years that Angel of Darkness is actually not that bad after fan patches, but I never got around trying it myself.
So I'm very curious about the remasters in that sense too.
I've said this many times in the past and I'll reiterate it once again that AoD was never a bad game and it might, in fact, be the best TR game since the TR2. It's certainly better than 3, 4 and 5 and it was a much needed change in the right direction that the series was desperate for at the time. Was the execution perfect? No but considering all the restraints and limitations they had to work with it's almost a miracle we got something as good and as coherent to what we got, with an excellent plot, music, characters and level design.
I'll die on this hill and after all this time I grew accustomed being up here alone.
I'm genuinely happy it's getting a remaster. Hopefully they can iron some of the kinks out and the game finally get's the appreciation it rightfully deserves, even if it comes almost 20 years later.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Two ZA/UM successors announced in one day. One of the directors for the second one is the brother of Kaur Kender, who played a role in what happened to ZA/UM and the ousting of the main people behind Disco Elysium.

They are making a detective RPG that looks very familiar.

Edit:

Oh... There's a third one... also revealed yesterday?!

This one was founded by one of the main writers on DE. He's the one who was not ousted, with Kurvitz and co, but was featured in the People Make Games documentary, and left AFTER it was filmed because apparently management humiliated him for what he said in the doc.

There is also Red Info, which was founded by Robert Kurvitz and Co. but they haven't revealed anything yet.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm very excited for Kurvitz' landlord and local bakery founding their own studios and making Disco Elysium spiritual successors.

Nightshift is the exact same opening as Disco Elysium, which apart from being lame, already gives a direct comparison to see that it doesn't have the writing.
as long as it let's me play as a communist, rock-star, depressive cop, who runs around naked, they can make as many of these kinds of games as they want and I will buy them

• This!

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
So I had a refund pending for almost a month, first time I ever used the feature.
Today I tried again and it was almost instantaneous. Weird.

• Sad