Community MetaSteam | October - The size of this adventure is spooky

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
The final boss in Remnants 2 is giving me a headache with the red color palette. I can't even see what's going on on the screen most of the time. Many people seem to like this boss fight, but it's driving me crazy...
I have been stuck on the last boss for the past 2 months. I played it with two of my friends, we started the game on the highest possible difficulty. The whole game was beatable. Some bosses needed some time to beat but it was doable. The last boss, however, with its second phase is just... I don't know what the devs were smoking, but it's an unreadable mess. Not only that, there is simply too much happening - projectiles, lasers, walls, you're constantly dragged around, teleported. You can fall out of the arena. If you dodge just before the teleport, you might dodgeroll out of the arena. It's a mess. No matter what we do, we can only get to half of his health.

edin

Coffee, Controllers, etc
Sep 30, 2024
How is the English VA for Metaphor? The English VA for past ATLUS games have been enjoyable (Persona) is it safe to say it's the same for Metaphor? There are somethings where in some games the VA are just bad but when it comes to video games that seems to be more rare nowadays.
YMMV but I enjoyed it a lot more than the JP. I spent like 5-10 hours iirc with both options when I started on PC and consoles, and stuck with English for my main save. I still have a console playthrough with JP going on slowly.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
How is Remnant 2 to compared to Remnant 1 when it comes to solo play?
I found Remnant 1 to at times become overwhelming due to all the rushing enemies that teleport in from behind you at times. Especially during boss fights.

The game was OK to play on desktop, but was a tad too hectic to play on the small Deck screen.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
The structure clearly is Persona's, but the combat system is the much bretter Press Turn System from the mainline SMT games. Its difficulty is also way more in line with those.
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about the combat but I do appreciate how different it is. Persona combat starts to feel kinda braindead after a while with always going for all-out attacks. The combat in Metaphor feels more challenging and leaves more room to come up with different strategies.

I also find the difficulty on this game to be kinda interesting: in some sense, the whole game is about finding ways to exploit the right archetype combos to utterly break certain encounters.
This is also great, yeah. At one point I unlocked a new archetype during a dungeon and immediately gave it to a party member. Then the very next fight, I got destroyed. Thought about it for a second, saw how my current archetypes could work together and came up with a strategy that carried me through the rest of the dungeon. That was way more satisfying than the combat in any Persona game has ever managed to be for me.

Reactions: QFNS

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX all of them had all-time great OSTs. I still listen to Terra's theme and To Zanarkand almost daily. A legend that will be missed in the gaming industry
Ehh, he's the weakest from FFX composers.
He's still the GOAT, but anything made after FF8 didn't hit as hard (well, maybe with the exception of The Black Mages, but how much of that was Uematsu and how much Sekito, I have no idea),

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

End of an Era for sure. Enjoy retirement you absolute KING. :blobking:
One of the GOATs.

FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX all of them had all-time great OSTs. I still listen to Terra's theme and To Zanarkand almost daily. A legend that will be missed in the gaming industry
I know everyone loves his 8-32 bit output, but he still delivered even in recent years with the main themes in Remake and Rebirth.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I found Remnant 1 to at times become overwhelming due to all the rushing enemies that teleport in from behind you at times. Especially during boss fights.

The game was OK to play on desktop, but was a tad too hectic to play on the small Deck screen.
It is fine solo unless you wanna do Apocalypse and maybe nightmare. The difficulties are kind of meant to be played through from surv and up though as you get items to deal with things better. I am really liking R2, I already put in 70 hours. I got it in Choice.

• Love
Reactions: FunnyJay

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
If I were to dock some points for Metaphor, it is because of the protagonist's lack of personality.

Sure, we have a voiced protagonist this time around, but it still feels like the blank slate of Persona 3-4-5 protagonists. To put this in context with another Atlus game, most people had dismissed Soul Hackers 2 due to its limited scope, uninteresting story or whatever else, but at the very least, Ringo as the protagonist is uniquely her own character. She participated actively during bonding events. She took the lead whenever there's discussion or confrontation with the antagonists. And her relationship with Figue is one of the most important pillars in the story.

Our protagonist in Metaphor could use a more pronounced personality, in my opinion. Alain from Unicorn Overlord also suffered from the same malady. He was characterised as a charismatic figure that unites different people and races, but still have the personality of a wet blanket.

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
If I were to dock some points for Metaphor, it is because of the protagonist's lack of personality.

Sure, we have a voiced protagonist this time around, but it still feels like the blank slate of Persona 3-4-5 protagonists. To put this in context with another Atlus game, most people had dismissed Soul Hackers 2 due to its limited scope, uninteresting story or whatever else, but at the very least, Ringo as the protagonist is uniquely her own character. She participated actively during bonding events. She took the lead whenever there's discussion or confrontation with the antagonists. And her relationship with Figue is one of the most important pillars in the story.

Our protagonist in Metaphor could use a more pronounced personality, in my opinion. Alain from Unicorn Overlord also suffered from the same malady. He was characterised as a charismatic figure that unites different people and races, but still have the personality of a wet blanket.
I haven't played other Atlus games so I can't really make comparisons, but I think the protagonist being this "vanilla" really works in the game's favor. It allows the focus to be completely on your companions and story without much distraction.
Even the voice acting is low key, the performance is neither good nor bad, it's just kinda there. Just an empty vessel to put yourself into this fantasy.

Given how you name yourself and the protag in the beginning I wouldn't be surprised if they did some crazy 4th wall breaking madness at the end and address some stuff directly at you including why the protag is so silent and his heterochromia (this might also just be a elda tribe thing). Maybe I'm also reading way too much into this.

I'm so happy Atlus made such a great demo, this game came out of nowhere for me and I wouldn't have played it otherwise.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

Remnant 2 is a lot better with this. Less enemies, almost no bosses with endless enemy spam.