Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wonder if gamepass is trying to annoy me into buying Gears on Steam. For some reason it is crapping out now.

Reactions: lashman

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
Wok pointed out that there is now a hidden app for the mod, Special K:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah Kal was discussing a little about making SK into a proper Steam app in his Steam group a while back. Not sure how it's going to work for us who prefer doing manual install, though.

Reactions: 「Echo」

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
A big reason for why they are against EEA is that EEA is hurting the working environmental law.
That's interesting, can you link some articles on this? I really can't find anything at all on this. It seems that through the EEA a major part of Norways environmental policy comes from the EU, so I guess I can see how that could lead to issues, but at least no international newspaper or agency is reporting on any controversy about it.
What does Special K do? I never used it.
Made Nier playable, fixed a ton JRPG releases (I'm using it right now for Tales of Vesperia), and right now probably the most prolific mod tool for a huge number of ports. This includes stuff from changing how frame pacing works, adding proper mipmapping, full screen scaling, and just about everything that you could imagine. Allows a sort of daisy chaning with ReShade, so you can also use that plus SpecialK together

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Wait, doesn't he already have a dedicated group? Why make a hidden app for discussions?

What does Special K do? I never used it.
Fixing lots of questionable PC ports. One of his most popular work is the FAR mod for Nier Automata.

He's a huge fan of Japanese games, and Japanese games ports haven't been that amazing. You'll bump into his mod one way or another if you're into them.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

An interesting article by Doc Suess
wow what a snob he must hate sony!

I generally agree. Some points I agree with (e.g. I don't think variety is one of Dead Space's strong suits). It's strange to observe. How all these mechanically and creativelly okay games are at the center of a collective masturbatory circle of "critics" riding the hype train to climax and pulling readers in. Bioshock Infinite and GTAIV are such obvious examples, but it's indeed all "prestige games" that suffer from this. Prestige games are a bit of a vague notion though

When critics' GOTY lists are one expensive banger after the other, leaving narrowly focused, daring and mechanically satisfying stuff by the wayside, it's unfortunate. I was listening to Giant Bomb's 2011 GOTY the other week, where Skyrim made the top of the list whereas Dark Souls was bumped off the top 10 entirely. Binding of Isaac or Spacechem didn't even get a mention as far as I remember. Lots of head shaking in disagreement. But, not my list and all that. Committee decisions will always favor the least offensive options.

I like these games too, but it's strange how in this medium blockbusters and broadly games that are "about" something even when it's paper thin (looking at you, David Cage) are elevated so much above everything else. At least after some time these games are often reevaluated, but it's always only the old games that are questioned rather than scrutinizing current games in the same way.

To some degree I'm also colored by genre preferences. Third-person action with light puzzle and RPG mechanics just doesn't really do much for me. I've been playing the new Tomb Raider series over the last two months and, to my own surprise, I've ended up liking each successive game more. Mostly because of the stunning environmental design and because each entry focuses less on the dull parts (shooting) and more on what I like (looking at old stuff). I recognize they're still just okay games though, and I like many okay games. Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't really have much interesting things to say but at least there are interesting things to say about it and its (confused) world view.

Last edited:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I like everyone who tells me that The Last of Us is pretentious, shallow, unoriginal stuff.

Just because something hasn’t been done in videogame form before it’s still not original nor deep nor smart if it’s just like a gazillion movies and tv shows.

It’s ok to like it or love it or personally think that is the greatest thing since sliced bread but don’t act all high and might because of that and don’t call other people stupid because “they don’t get it”. We get it, all right.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
That's interesting, can you link some articles on this? I really can't find anything at all on this. It seems that through the EEA a major part of Norways environmental policy comes from the EU, so I guess I can see how that could lead to issues, but at least no international newspaper or agency is reporting on any controversy about it.
Yeah, there is nothing on it in international news, just local sadly:

Clicky.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I'll catch up on this thread Wednesday since that's my day-off, but man you guys sure are active! Which is nice of course, way better than the alternative! (y)

It's been almost two years, i guess Girls und Panzer Dream Tank Match won't get a PC port. 「Echo」

Bumco indeed. :NotLikeDis:
Wow has it really been that long already? :face-with-cold-sweat:

It was always a pipe-dream tbh, I bet the licensing is a total pain. Even the PS4 version had to make sacrifices with the licenses, for example music was cut or edited and some VA work too.

The game did get a Switch port though which kinda made me hope they would port it to PC as well but alas...

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, there is nothing on it in international news, just local sadly:

Clicky.
So that's about not giving unionized workers at Norwegian ports preferential rights? I am not familiar enough with how this is done in Norway or generally around the world, always assumed each freighter or transport ship just hires its own workers for this.
But this seems to about labour laws, not environmental protection. Which makes sense, within the EU or EEA you can't treat your own citizens better or different from EU or EEA nationals.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So that's about not giving unionized workers at Norwegian ports preferential rights? I am not familiar enough with how this is done in Norway or generally around the world, always assumed each freighter or transport ship just hires its own workers for this.
But this seems to about labour laws, not environmental protection. Which makes sense, within the EU you can't treat your own citizens better or different from EU nationals.
The law is called "worki environmental law" which was overruled, simply called "Arbeidsmiljøloven" in Norwegian.

Norwegians on the left is very solid on the fact that no outside forces or laws should overule Norways working environmental law and the EEA overrules it from time to time.

Like, there is big problems with social dumping.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I really liked TLOU. I didn't play it until Remastered so I missed the initial hype train (which is probably for the best). My sister watched me play it so it was pretty fun talking to her about the ending and characters for a few hours afterwards. I love discussing thoughts and theories so ambiguous endings are a huge guilty pleasure lol.

The gameplay was okay I guess, I didnt dislike it but I never really cared much for it either. I played a bit of MP though and had fun with that.

I don't think its the best game ever, and it wasnt my GOTY (Bayonetta 2 baby) but it was definitely a 9/10 to me.

Reactions: Spamlynguist

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
InquisitorAles hey bud if you don't mind me asking, as Youtube degrades quality of videos uploaded, is there a suggested video recorder you recommend that can encode to a format that YT won't affect heavily?

Real talk
Collapse has more pathetic xenomorph model animations than this.
I didn't go that far, I'm just rendering videos with "Internet video" preset in Vegas Pro and from what I've seen it looks fine. I can take a look and say exact settings when I return home if you'll need them. And yeah the more I play Collapse the more I remember why I dropped this game back then, it's ambitious but it's still janky as hell.

Reactions: MJunioR

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
The law is called "worki environmental law" which was overruled, simply called "Arbeidsmiljøloven" in Norwegian.

Norwegians on the left is very solid on the fact that no outside forces or laws should overule Norways working environmental law and the EEA overrules it from time to time.

Like, there is big problems with social dumping.
Yeah, that's a fair argument. At the same time, the EEA gives Norway a unique access to the EU and replacing it with a free trade deal would require to have lots of new barriers, as the single market is about far more than just customs.
It's certainly an important discussion to have. I personally believe the real problem is that Norway doesn't have a voice in the EU, but has to follow regulations. As a full EU member, it could veto new EU regulations that it doesn't like, and generally speaking having more left wing governments in the EU council can only be a good thing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yeah, that's a fair argument. At the same time, the EEA gives Norway a unique access to the EU and replacing it with a free trade deal would require to have lots of new barriers, as the single market is about far more than just customs.
It's certainly an important discussion to have. I personally believe the real problem is that Norway doesn't have a voice in the EU, but has to follow regulations. As a full EU member, it could veto new EU regulations that it doesn't like, and generally speaking having more left wing governments in the EU council can only be a good thing.
I don't have much time to discuss this, but here are 4 arguments from "No to EU" in Norway has made: Google Translate

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
It's not true, but somehow that's how I remember it too.
(I skipped San Andreas and IV. Got them both, but never played them.)
San Andreas is a nice Tamagotchi game with a gang aesthetic. I didn't like it much at first, but grew to appreciate it in time. I still think the RPG-like mechanics suck, and having to waste your time swimming to unlock one specific mission is complete bullshit.

By the way what do all of you think is the best Pocket Monsters game to date?
That's a hard one. The ones I enjoyed the most were Blue (playing with a friend on an emulator as a kid), Y (my return to the series after the gen 1 remakes; I was active in the GAF threads at the time) and Alpha Sapphire (lots of great mechanics, and the game was really fun).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So I got a free google home mini from google and wondering what to do with it? Sure I know they just want to spy on me but still wondering what's in it for me? It could be nice to control a bunch of stuff, like tvs, lightning and such, but I don't have any of that, all I could do really is just ask it stuff.XD

Reactions: PC-tan and Deku

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
So I got a free google home mini from google and wondering what to do with it? Sure I know they just want to spy on me but still wondering what's in it for me? It could be nice to control a bunch of stuff, like tvs, lightning and such, but I don't have any of that, all I could do really is just ask it stuff.XD
In your case it's pretty much useless. Since asking for location or getting information can be done on Android phones (if you got one)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Probably a silly question, can I use Steam Link for Android to stream to my phone/tablet even if I'm not at home? How does it work exactly? I just need to pair the PC and Android device initially and keep the computer running forever and I can connect anytime or will I eventually need to pair them up again after X hour of inactivity have passed?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
“Ok google, put yourself on eBay”

Reactions: Spamlynguist

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Oh dear....

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Wok pointed out that there is now a hidden app for the mod, Special K:

... Heads Up, Vote Doctor Doom!

Reactions: KainXVIII

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

Oh dear....
I wonder if this will be addressed on their podcast, video games hot dog.

Probably a silly question, can I use Steam Link for Android to stream to my phone/tablet even if I'm not at home? How does it work exactly? I just need to pair the PC and Android device initially and keep the computer running forever and I can connect anytime or will I eventually need to pair them up again after X hour of inactivity have passed?
I can't comment on using Steam Link Anywhere (aka not out-of-home), but I haven't had to pair my phone or Link box to my PC again since setting it up. I would assume the same applies regardless of where you use it from. You will need to keep the PC on (and Steam running), but at least for local streaming you can send a "wake on lan" command to your PC to get it to boot from Link. If you then also disable the login, it should theoretically be ready to go for streaming. I don't think this can be done remotely with the mobile app, but perhaps there are some clever workarounds floating on the internet somewhere.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
One week to go! Hope they fix Steam on Mac, it isn't really working, well most things work just fine, but I can't really go into store pages for games, it keeps reloading until I just get a text saying "oops".XD Funny, Steam, a games store where I can't access the store haha.

Reactions: MJunioR

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I don't have much time to discuss this, but here are 4 arguments from "No to EU" in Norway has made: Google Translate
Two of those arguments are literally just about capitalism (it literally calls out economic growth), so I fail to see how that relates to the EU specifically. I guess if your goal is to transform Norway into a communist state, though then you might want to have that discussion first.

That the EU tries to unify it votes in the UN, and generally tries to speak with once voice in the world isn't a bad thing. It's not really true though. It's a cacophony where countries like Germany, France and Italy, for example keep doing what they want. For small countries the benefit is that they have a veto on EU policy and thus - through the EU - can have far more of an influence on international politics. Hell, a small province of Belgium almost toppled the free trade deal with Canada, and got the Belgium government to agree to give it more funding and other things.

I'll acknowledge though that wanting to leave the EEA is a fairly consistent position, at the moment Norway has to follow all regulations, without any veto, and it has to pay into the EU budget, without really having a say what happens with that money too.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
This type of unnecessary weirdness is why PC gaming will never be defeated

YTMND :(, the death of an icon.....

wow what a snob he must hate sony!

I generally agree. Some points I agree with (e.g. I don't think variety is one of Dead Space's strong suits). It's strange to observe. How all these mechanically and creativelly okay games are at the center of a collective masturbatory circle of "critics" riding the hype train to climax and pulling readers in. Bioshock Infinite and GTAIV are such obvious examples, but it's indeed all "prestige games" that suffer from this. Prestige games are a bit of a vague notion though

When critics' GOTY lists are one expensive banger after the other, leaving narrowly focused, daring and mechanically satisfying stuff by the wayside, it's unfortunate. I was listening to Giant Bomb's 2011 GOTY the other week, where Skyrim made the top of the list whereas Dark Souls was bumped off the top 10 entirely. Binding of Isaac or Spacechem didn't even get a mention as far as I remember. Lots of head shaking in disagreement. But, not my list and all that. Committee decisions will always favor the least offensive options.

I like these games too, but it's strange how in this medium blockbusters and broadly games that are "about" something even when it's paper thin (looking at you, David Cage) are elevated so much above everything else. At least after some time these games are often reevaluated, but it's always only the old games that are questioned rather than scrutinizing current games in the same way.

To some degree I'm also colored by genre preferences. Third-person action with light puzzle and RPG mechanics just doesn't really do much for me. I've been playing the new Tomb Raider series over the last two months and, to my own surprise, I've ended up liking each successive game more. Mostly because of the stunning environmental design and because each entry focuses less on the dull parts (shooting) and more on what I like (looking at old stuff). I recognize they're still just okay games though, and I like many okay games. Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't really have much interesting things to say but at least there are interesting things to say about it and its (confused) world view.
I have some thoughts about the article. They are not all wrong about "Prestige" games but they miss the mark on which games they praise for being original. Dead space is Resident Evil 4 and System shock 2 smashed together, nearly beat for beat. I love it but call a spade a spade.

Bioshock Infinite was overpraised, no doubt during its release but I paid full price and felt I got my monies worth. I even went in for the DLC later on, so far be it from me to call it creatively bankrupt. Over praise and then over correction.... a lot people posturing to be the "Actually"-guy and show off the size of their galaxy brain.

You can enjoy prestige games for their production value and flash while also realizing that the magic wears off, which is ok. How many people find it difficult to rewatch Marvel (MCU) films.... Its nearly the same.

The author also has some very strong biases against Christopher Nolan, seemingly only because those he sees as "less film literate" over praise the guy. Not Nolan's fault dude.

Video games are becoming more like Hollywood and damn if we don't need our blockbusters too, even if they are PRESTIGE. The magic wears off but that original ride through is what a lot of us sign up for and we go in knowing that it won't "hold up" later on. That's ok!

Last edited:
Reactions: beep boop

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I honestly don't even look at Sony TVs anymore. I think they're over priced.
They're still the best at motion smoothing/interpolation but everything else, like them clinging to Android (love it but not as an TV OS) or their TVs having way worse input delay than everyone else (weird for a company that also produces gaming consoles) plus the prices usually being higher than their competition makes them a hard sell. OLEDs all have the same LG panel anyway so while there are differences in picture quality they aren't nearly as noticeable as in the past. Any yeah, that Gsync news sure is surprising, too bad I own an 2018 LG, but still one of the best purchases made lately and I don't use it much for gaming anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 「Echo」
Status
Not open for further replies.