Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Lol no, not even gonna try. :02shrug:
Like I said, a lot of them are from bundles, and when you buy a bundle for 1 or 2 games and get like 6 others it adds up.
Essentially I have certain purchase tiers:
Is it a day 1/full price purchase? Definitely gonna play it the moment I'll buy it.
Sale purchases I also priorize, but a few super cheap ones may or may not fall through the cracks occasionally (aka I only get around to them months later).
With bundles I'm fine as long as play one or 2 shortly after buying the bundle. Others I might get to months (or sometimes years) later, others never, but I don't mind as long as I "got my money's worth" out of some of the games.
Essentially my rule of thumb is the more I'm willing to pay for a game, the more I also focus on playing them.

I've made peace with the fact that I'm buying more games than I play and I don't really mind as long as my spending is within "reasonable" bounds.
I do play quite a bunch of them though, like this year I'm closing in on 70 completed games (a lot more than the previous ones, but I also have been playing way more short games than long ones so it's expected. Also those aren't all games I bought this year).

Ah I see. Damn, I was thinking "this guy has two PCs, side by side, playing two different accounts at the same time." Still 70 is incredible. I haven't counted, but I'm probably at like 10 on the year. But I tend to get lost. Like I started playing Prey again, loved the level design and thought I'd get Metroid Prime going. This lead to Super Metroid. Then got busy with the summer and didn't play anything for a month and forgot what I was doing. It's like game dementia.

So yeah, hence my short leash on buying.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. With the remaster coming later this month we can finally check for ourselves. I will say that I'm not ready to be disappointed by a game that looks so good as NNK though.
Agreed. I feel like the biggest difference between it and the sequel is the combat system, but if anything that will be a positive for me since I love turn based combat. I've also held off on trying the DLC for NNK2 since I believe it is connected to the original. Anyway, the release is imminent now so hopefully it doesn't disappoint. Can't wait!

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
In my case, it's not so much feeling like I need to play certain games.
I'm the kind of guy that, if I'm not having fun with a game, I drop it, with no hesitation.

It's more a case of:
I'm having a blast with a certain game. A new game comes out that I really want to play, and I start playing it. Before I know it, I went a couple of months without playing that first game, and now I have to drop it, since I no longer remember what is happening with it, story-wise.
Then, a new game comes out that I really want to try, and I end up doing the same for that second game.
Repeat, and you get a lot of unfinished games (that I want to replay or finish), on top of all the ones I never even started playing (that I bought, with the obvious intention of playing).

I used to love playing long RPGs, it was always my favourite genre, but now, I'm more likely to play either games I can just pick up and play, without a plot (pinball games, or shmups, for example), or short, 2-4 hour games.
Happened to me with The Witcher 1, although it was a good 6 or 7 years after it release, so it definitely didn't qualify as a new game :p

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Figured I'd post this here too in case someone here is interested in BL3:
In case someone here is planning to get BL3 for any platform
There are unlockable cosmetics on the website

reddit.com/r/borderlands3/comments/bxgq5p/borderlands_vip_program_codes/
Use this chart to redeem yourself like 15k points
and unlock couple of those skins if you're into that
Got myself top row and the Amara skins
On your accounts profile page, you can link your account to PSN, Xbox or Steam.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Last edited:

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
I really have to stop buying games.
I have so many new games to play (many from campaigns I backed on crowdfunding campaigns years ago, or Early Access games finally launching), it actually ends up hindering my enjoyment, because I don't know what to play, and I keep leaving games unfinished.

I "dropped" games like Bloodstained and Yakuza 0, after quite a few hours played, because I spent some time without playing them, and now I want to restart them.

Then, I look at Grim Dawn, a game I'm really enjoying, and don't want to drop it, and after months I'm still on chapter 3.
I'm replaying Phoenix Wright (I previously played it on the Nintendo DS), and I only completed 2 cases from the first game.

And now, I look at my library, and notice on top of my huge backlog, I have recently added the following games I really want to play:

-GreedFall
-Blasphemous
-River City Girls
-Overland
-Starpoint Gemini 3
-The Dark Pictures Anthology - Man of Medan
-Knights and Bikes
-Age of Empires: Definitive Edition
-Blair Witch
-Remnant: From the Ashes
-The Great Perhaps
-Yuppie Psycho
-Metal Wolf Chaos XD
-EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5

It may seem silly, but I'm finding that having an excessive number of games to play can be a bad thing. :(
I'm always torn between starting a new game, or continuing another.
It's pretty insane isn't it? If you told 10 year old me that too many games and not enough time would be an actual problem in the future he'd have laughed you out of the room! I try to be more and more selective of what I get day 1 (Even though I could sustain myself for 10 lifetimes without getting a single new game) but this month is just brutal! I'm yet to even download Man of Medan, Spyro and Gears 5 having pre-ordered them all. I'll also be pre-ordering NNK, Link's Awakening. and Indivisible soon. I also want to get Age of Empires 1& 2 Definitive editions as soon as I can finish all these games.

But no... iT'S tHE hEnTAi ASseT FliPs, 30% vALve tAx, aNd lOw prIcES tHaT aRe kiLLinG iNdiEs...

:face-with-rolling-eyes:

Deleted member 113

It's pretty insane isn't it? If you told 10 year old me that too many games and not enough time would be an actual problem in the future he'd have laughed you out of the room! I try to be more and more selective of what I get day 1 (Even though I could sustain myself for 10 lifetimes without getting a single new game) but this month is just brutal! I'm yet to even download Man of Medan, Spyro and Gears 5 having pre-ordered them all. I'll also be pre-ordering NNK, Link's Awakening. and Indivisible soon. I also want to get Age of Empires 1& 2 Definitive editions as soon as I can finish all these games.

But no... iT'S tHE hEnTAi ASseT FliPs, 30% vALve tAx, aNd lOw prIcES tHaT aRe kiLLinG iNdiEs...

:face-with-rolling-eyes:
Like I keep saying: when you were a kid, you had plenty of time, but no money, so you kept playing the same games over and over, until those special occasions where someone gifted you a game (for me, it was pretty much my birthday, and Christmas only :giggle:).
Then, you grow up, you start earning money, and you can buy a lot of games, but.. you lack time! And sometimes patience.

I wish I could go back, and gift my younger self a few games from my backlog, to keep him busy. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Greedfall 16K players peak
Gears 5 10K players peak

Gears has a hefty price tag and is available on Game Pass but Greedfall isn't cheap either, doesn't have mutiplayer and it's the first time we got a Gears on Steam so I definitely expected higher numbers. Greed really went from 'oh Spiders are at it again, ew' to cautious optimism to 'wut, this is actually a good game'. Plus it seems to have fewer technical issues. Who would've bet on that?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
In my case, it's not so much feeling like I need to play certain games.
I'm the kind of guy that, if I'm not having fun with a game, I drop it, with no hesitation.

It's more a case of:
I'm having a blast with a certain game. A new game comes out that I really want to play, and I start playing it. Before I know it, I went a couple of months without playing that first game, and now I have to drop it, since I no longer remember what is happening with it, story-wise.
Then, a new game comes out that I really want to try, and I end up doing the same for that second game.
Repeat, and you get a lot of unfinished games (that I want to replay or finish), on top of all the ones I never even started playing (that I bought, with the obvious intention of playing).

I used to love playing long RPGs, it was always my favourite genre, but now, I'm more likely to play either games I can just pick up and play, without a plot (pinball games, or shmups, for example), or short, 2-4 hour games.
Counterpoint: buy all the games you want, taking the time to finish each one in your own pace, and last but not least, don't subscribe to FOMO.

Like everyone else, I already bought most games I wanted this month, but I still haven't played any of them extensively. :02notes:

August 28th: Crystar (Steam)
August 30th: Astral Chain (Switch)
September 5th: River City Girls (Steam)
September 10th: Greedfall (Steam)

September 13th: Daemon x Machina (Switch)
September 17th: Ai: The Somnium Files (Steam)
September 20th: Ni No Kuni Remastered (Steam)
September 20th: Utawarerumono: Zan (PS4)
September 27th: Code Vein (Steam)

Instead, I'm playing Atelier Firis for RPG blitz, and Hate+ for Meta blitz, plus I've been reading Yu-No before bed, alternating it with mucking around in Fire Emblem Three Houses. I simply don't have time to worry whether I could actually finish the games I bought this month (if ever!) when I have too much fun playing the games I enjoy, in my own pace. :02smug:

I also think it's also fine to jump from game to game without finishing any, as long as you feel your time is well spent, so you won't be sitting at work on Monday wishing you were somewhere else. :02spy:

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I usually just fire up games and play them for like 30 min until I find something I’m in the mood for, I also kinda like long games, I play stuff that’s less than 30 hours only when I know something will come out soon and I need something short to get me through.
I also mostly play rpgs and VN I don’t really care about finishihg games quickly, as long as I’m having fun the time is well spent.

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
A while ago, I spent one afternoon listening to podcasts/music and tiering my backlog just to get a bit of an overview of what I've got. Tier 1 is stuff I genuinely want to play and is probably worth my time. Tier 2 is made up of games that I'd like to play at some point but for some reason (e.g. length or complexity) I won't be able to get into easily. Tier 3 is mostly extra stuff I got from bundles, games I've accepted I won't finish or play, mediocre stuff. It definitely helped me narrow down what to get into next whenever I'm in doubt. I think I should give Tier 3 another pass and just remove games that I've decided I won't play (anymore).
I thought about doing something like this but then I felt I could actually finish a game with the time it would take me to do this so I didn't bother! Right now I keep a mental shortlist of games I want to play soon, though I guess if I didn't then an actual written list could help with those days where you draw a blank on what to play next.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So finished Spyro 1 from the Reignited trilogy from beginning to end:
I really liked it a lot, Toys for Bob did a fantastic job updating the graphics and the controls, it feels like a modern game in its presentation, though the actual game design itself is very much 90s collect-a-thon, though I was surprised how easy most of it was. With the exception of the flight levels, and maybe two stages in the later levels, it's pretty effortless to 100% everything. Not that I'm complaining.
I think I'll stop it here, and continue with 2 and 3 later, don't want to burn out on this.

And I also finished, or rather quit Gears of War: UE. I was as the final boss, and after a few deaths due to a bullshit attack where it sends a swarm of bats (kryl or whatever) on you, I thought "yeah, I'm good".
I didn't hate the game itself, it was just ok. The gameplay felt super boring, like literally playing every third person shooter in existence at the same time, the characters and their dialogue is the most dudebroe shit in existence, though I did enjoy the vistas, whenever there was something to see that is, most of this game takes place in fairly linear levels. Did a good job making an ancient 360 game look modern, but it still plays like something from a decade ago.

Is stuff like Gears 4 and 5 any better than this? I might as well skip this franchise, otherwise.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Greedfall 16K players peak
Gears 5 10K players peak

Gears has a hefty price tag and is available on Game Pass but Greedfall isn't cheap either, doesn't have mutiplayer and it's the first time we got a Gears on Steam so I definitely expected higher numbers. Greed really went from 'oh Spiders are at it again, ew' to cautious optimism to 'wut, this is actually a good game'. Plus it seems to have fewer technical issues. Who would've bet on that?
I know MS and some people like to pretend that gamepass doesn't eat into sales but this is pretty solid proof that it does. To be fair though the game is not very appealing unless you are really into multiplayer. They're asking $60 or more in some regions for another 10 hour campaign that doesn't really do anything special or memorable, and also happens to be one of the buggiest games I've played this entire gen. Somehow.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I know MS and some people like to pretend that gamepass doesn't eat into sales but this is pretty solid proof that it does. To be fair though the game is not very appealing unless you are really into multiplayer. They're asking $60 or more in some regions for another 10 hour campaign that doesn't really do anything special or memorable, and also happens to be one of the buggiest games I've played this entire gen. Somehow.
Gears 5 is considerably cheaper than GreedFall in my region, but still the latter tops the best sellers list on Steam over here.

But yeah, Gamepass definitely eats up a lot of sales, no doubt.

Reactions: Ge0force

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I'm a sucker for new tech. I don't have one and I've been eyeing the Series 4. but if this one will get released now I might as well gift it to myself for Christmas.
I think I can understand. I am also a sucker for new tech. I remember back in 2014 thinking that smartwatches were cool and picked up a Gen 1 Moto 360 not that long after they came out. I am impulse buyer, I went to a Best Buy and asked them if they had any, they said they had one left and it was the black leather one. I sort of felt pressured to buy it after asking (especially since it seemed like the guy was planning on buying it after his shift was over or something). I don't think my phone was even compatible with the watch so I had to get a new one. I ended up buying a Moto X Gen 2 (it was custom made and had a bamboo back) and one of the reasons for that was because how it had handsfree commands. I could say "Oi Misaka-Chan" and it would listen to me (sadly it seems that Motorola has since gotten rid of this feature in there newer phones, In the OG Moto X the command was "Hey Moto", but their newest phone just uses Alexa). So while I was waiting for my Moto X to arrive I was wearing my Moto 360 and thinking I was "cool", the best part was that this one girl that was sitting next to me in one of my classes told me that she liked my watch (that alone justified the $250USD that I spent on it /s).

I got that Moto combo in Fall 2014 and they actually lasted me until Summer 2017 (not bad for spending almost $800USD, oh and I did sort of feel bad about buying them since I was using scholarship money to buy them).

I now have a Moto G5s but I do plan to upgrade since it's been 2 years that I have had this phone and it is starting to show its' age. I may just stick to Motorola since they do make unlocked phones and they are on the more affordable side of things. Depending on how much money I have in a few months I may just get a Google Pixel (I remember when I wanted a Google Nexus 5, I use to keep up with phone stuff a lot back then but not any more)

In the last year or so I have been thinking of maybe getting another smart watch though, from what I saw it doesn't look like Motorola is making any more smart watches which is a real shame. I really liked the design of the Moto 360 but it doesn't seem like that many others are making something with a similar design. Misfit seems to have some design that I like and they are under $300 USD. I think I may look into that. As long as the battery life is longer than 1 day that is good enough for me. I still remember that my Moto 360 would last me about a day and a half on a full charge

Do people use Cortana?

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I think I can understand. I am also a sucker for new tech. I remember back in 2014 thinking that smartwatches were cool and picked up a Gen 1 Moto 360 not that long after they came out. I am impulse buyer, I went to a Best Buy and asked them if they had any, they said they had one left and it was the black leather one. I sort of felt pressured to buy it after asking (especially since it seemed like the guy was planning on buying it after his shift was over or something). I don't think my phone was even compatible with the watch so I had to get a new one. I ended up buying a Moto X Gen 2 (it was custom made and had a bamboo back) and one of the reasons for that was because how it had handsfree commands. I could say "Oi Misaka-Chan" and it would listen to me (sadly it seems that Motorola has since gotten rid of this feature in there newer phones, In the OG Moto X the command was "Hey Moto", but their newest phone just uses Alexa). So while I was waiting for my Moto X to arrive I was wearing my Moto 360 and thinking I was "cool", the best part was that this one girl that was sitting next to me in one of my classes told me that she liked my watch (that alone justified the $250USD that I spent on it /s).

I got that Moto combo in Fall 2014 and they actually lasted me until Summer 2017 (not bad for spending almost $800USD, oh and I did sort of feel bad about buying them since I was using scholarship money to buy them).

I now have a Moto G5s but I do plan to upgrade since it's been 2 years that I have had this phone and it is starting to show its' age. I may just stick to Motorola since they do make unlocked phones and they are on the more affordable side of things. Depending on how much money I have in a few months I may just get a Google Pixel (I remember when I wanted a Google Nexus 5, I use to keep up with phone stuff a lot back then but not any more)

In the last year or so I have been thinking of maybe getting another smart watch though, from what I saw it doesn't look like Motorola is making any more smart watches which is a real shame. I really liked the design of the Moto 360 but it doesn't seem like that many others are making something with a similar design. Misfit seems to have some design that I like and they are under $300 USD. I think I may look into that. As long as the battery life is longer than 1 day that is good enough for me. I still remember that my Moto 360 would last me about a day and a half on a full charge

Do people use Cortana?
I used to have a Moto Z2, but got back to iPhone. Even if they're expensive as shit, they're very reliable.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
I've had no problems with Gears on gamepass. Runs pretty smooth too.

But yeah, I'm not paying to play it.

Reactions: MJunioR

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I guess that even MS noticed since it looks like you no longer see Cortana in the Windows 10 Search Bar

I used to have a Moto Z2, but got back to iPhone. Even if they're expensive as shit, they're very reliable.
I have no doubt that they are reliable, they just work. iPhones are just way to expensive for me taste especially with how tech companies in general do "sabotage" their phones with "updates" (but then again everyone does).

When it comes to phones I am the type of person that pays for the phone upfront so I would rather not pay over $500 USD if possible.

One thing I have wanted to get back into was tablets. I still have my Nexus 7 from 2013 and it still does power on and work and all that (it has slowed down how ever and is not as good as it once was).

I forget what it was but I think in 2011 or so there was this whole talk about how laptop would be dead in the next few years because of tablets and stuff like that. But in general it would seem that it's the other way around and tablets are not as popular? Since you now have much better smartphones and you also have ultrabooks.

The Moto Z2 looked cool

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
One thing I have wanted to get back into was tablets. I still have my Nexus 7 from 2013 and it still does power on and work and all that (it has slowed down how ever and is not as good as it once was).
I would for an iPad lol. I bought a Samsung one and the piece of shit died within months.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I'm on my fourth year of using my iPhone SE and could see using it for a while longer. I'm very basic when it comes to what I want from a phone though. As long as navigating apps and menus is smooth, I'm happy. Relatively cheap phone too. Probably not a great purchase in 2019 though?

Anyway, Gears 5 seems okay. I'm definitely not the audience for this though. Regular shooters are not at all my thing. I played about an hour and was then tempted by Hydro Thunder, which is apparently on the Windows store/Game Pass.

Reactions: Ge0force

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Never trust ‘professional’ reviewers.
I haven't trusted any review outlet since NieR. They couldn't even be arsed to go past the first route.

Idiots let a classic slip right through their fingers and under the radar.

:02eyes:

Welp. I was keen on Sony OLED since they still have the best upscaler compared to LG, but if their 2020 model doesn't support Gsync, then it's see ya later.
Yep, this is where I'm at. Well, I won't need a new TV for a while yet I hope... but yeah. I've been loyal to Sony TV's over the years just based on picture quality alone, G-Sync would make me seriously consider switching brands.

Actually it's probably the only feature that would make me switch...

The new Nvidia driver is "game ready" for Code Vein! It's actually happening.

Nice! If you'll be playing Code Vein can we look forward to a brief technical rundown? :whistle:

Let's hope the port passes your standards!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So not only has my Goblin Slayer Figma shipped but so has my Persona 5 Queen Figma as well. And still no news about my A2 Bring Arts Figure.

By the way have I shared on here what my set up looks like? I think I did on Era but not on here. My waifus guard my PC while i'm away

By the way Code Vein is currently climbing the Steam best sellers list.

And guess what Waifu Maker is one of the top sellers on Steam right now and it just got Chinese localization as well

Code Vein RTX ON

Reactions: JMTHEFOX

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Microsoft really screwed up here in Europe by charging €70 for Gears 5. None of the European people in my friendslist have bought it because of this. I can only hope Microsoft takes note, but I expect their future games being €70 here as well.
I know why they do it (console version costs 70€ and with cross-buy they can't have the PC version cheaper) but it doesn't make it better.
No way in hell I'm ever going to pay 70€ for a game, lol.
And it's on GamePass as well.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
That's one of the reasons why I haven't bought Gears 5 yet (the main reason is that I bought a Godzilla figure that was expensive lol) but I think they know that a sale is important and I think we will see some kind of discount this holidays.

As for Greedfall, really want to play it, however, I think I won't buy anything until Digimon, that figure broke me but was worthy hahahaa

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I know why they do it (console version costs 70€ and with cross-buy they can't have the PC version cheaper) but it doesn't make it better.
Yeah that's probably the reason. But the Steam version doesn't have cross-buy. It should be €59.99 like very other AAA game on Steam.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Probably a silly question, can I use Steam Link for Android to stream to my phone/tablet even if I'm not at home? How does it work exactly? I just need to pair the PC and Android device initially and keep the computer running forever and I can connect anytime or will I eventually need to pair them up again after X hour of inactivity have passed?
Sorry for self-quoting but does anyone here have any experience using the android steam link app to access steam from outside their house?

I'll be travelling a lot during the next months and I'd like to have something to play to distract myself from how shitty my situation will be. It's either this or wasting 500€ on a switch and some games... :suicide-blob:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Deleted member 113

Fans of beat'em ups who are yet to play Fight'N Rage should give it a try, now that the game is currently 80% off:

It's an impressive indie game, especially considering it was mostly a one person effort.
Easily my favourite classic side-scrolling beat'em up in recent years.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.