Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I haven't really kept up with Surge 2's coverage, but now that I'm playing the first one I think I may look some stuff up. Curious what shortcomings of the first game if any they are ironing out and stuff.

Also the Grandia HD.... I really hope it will be blown wide open and hopefully modders fix whatever the devs wont, because eugh.

uraizen

Oct 7, 2018
Woop woop.

Was not a fan of Code Vein's beta on consoles. The feedback from enemies while attacking was like slicing butter. The combat just didn't feel satisfying and made me flaccid. Might pick up The Surge 2; the fact you can use all you defensive options on bosses is very appealing to me. Being able to say "nice head, I think I'll take it" has its own charm too.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Woop woop.

Was not a fan of Code Vein's beta on consoles. The feedback from enemies while attacking was like slicing butter. The combat just didn't feel satisfying and made me flaccid. Might pick up The Surge 2; the fact you can use all you defensive options on bosses is very appealing to me. Being able to say "nice head, I think I'll take it" has its own charm too.
But CV has anime titties. It wins by default.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
FunktionJCB said:
How is Crystar?
It's labelled as an action RPG. Wow does it play, and are there really quests (or is it just a "musou" stage structure?
Is it a stand-alone game, or part of any series?

And, will there be outrageous amounts of DLCs in the future (Koei Tecmo style)?
FunktionJCB , Last month's thread was locked before I can get any words in, so I'll cross reply here.

Unfortunately, I haven't progressed that far into the game since I only played through the tutorial/intro and a little of the first area. It plays similar to Ys games, although obviously the controls and animations aren't anywhere near their level of polish. You have a strong attack, light attack, jump, dash and skills/magic assigned to each of the face buttons. There are itemisation and vendors, although I'm not sure if there are "quests". The game divided into a number of areas, which in turn has a number of objectives called "Ordeals". You must complete these Ordeals in order to retrieve an Item called "Idea" and proceed to the next Ordeal, area, and so on.

I think the game is standalone and not part of any series I know of. Not sure about their DLC schedule, Spike Chunsoft normally released their DLCs all at once for their past releases.

A little note regarding the quality of the port. The game is running on Unity Engine. Performance is fine. It has unlocked framerate, although it has forced v-sync. There is MSAA (up to 8x), however, there isn't arbitrary resolution support. Only 720p, 1080p and 2160p is supported. Since it's running on Unity, it defaults to borderless window, so if you prefer exclusive fullscreen mode, you need to use the
Code:
-window-mode exclusive
flag.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
DLC for Crystar seem to be only costume DLC planned
BC: What can we expect post-launch? Any additional content, like additional storylines?
FH:
Nothing like that is set-in-stone, at the moment.
MS: I can answer this a little bit. In terms of other additional content, we plan to release a lot of costume DLC, like seasonal costume DLC — for example, there’s a winter themed one that has a Santa Claus costume.
From here.

Not enough info out there for me to decide if I want to make the plunge. You can pet that big fluffy dog though.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Seriously? Another resolution locked port? Still frustrates me that Death end had the same bs. 1440p folks be damned I guess. At least Crystar should be easy enough to override that, yeah?

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
You can pet that big fluffy dog though.
Thelema is a cute samoyed.

Seriously? Another resolution locked port? Still frustrates me that Death end had the same bs. 1440p folks be damned I guess. At least Crystar should be easy enough to override that, yeah?
There are some folks researching resolution override in the game's tech support forum on Steam Community, but the configuration is stored in the Windows Registry, and the game curiously will always open the graphics configuration option each time the game starts, effectively overwriting the changes made to the registry if modified externally.

Last edited:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Wait WHAT. For what reason does that shit have to be in the registry of all places? Isn't that a bit of a security risk?

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I played Minoria for a few hours and my friend asked what the main character was supposed to be, then we had the following conversation:

Me: She's a nun
Friend: She doesn't looks like a nun
Me: It's an anime nun
Friend: that makes sense

voodoo

Dec 12, 2018
Completed Blair Witch just now. Didn't like an unwelcome sequence near the end that outlived its welcome real fast (exploring the house was ridiculously overlong!),

While performance wasn't great in the open forest locations at the start, it got a lot better once I could progress further in the game (Xbox gamepass version). As a fan of the original film, I appreciate the attempt with an original story, but this was Blair Witch in name only, that didn't click for me :(.

Reactions: Milena and MJunioR

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Was Code Vein not good enough For you?
Code Vein demo didn't convinced me :kissing-face:
Kandrick Thanks, shellhead! Nia's Welsh VA is amazing and reminds me of home. I still need to finish XC2, i may have to have a Switch marathon soon as i haven't used it in weeks.
I watched XCX2 playthrough on Youtube and I can't understand what Nia said without subtitle.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I hope Spiders made the combat better in Greedfall. I hated the combat in Technomancer and Mars: War Logs

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
There was someone playing a very early copy of Greedfall earlier. While there are a lot of stuff that I want to talk about from that stream, but there's one thing that's a highlight for me.

What's the engine here? The guys was playing on a PS4 (not sure if base/pro), and it looks like it's running without a hitch. Moreover, the loading screens are pretty quick. Like, there's a time when he was fast traveling from the most Western part to the other end of of the map, and it only took 3 seconds to reach the camp, and another 3 seconds to load into the overworld zone from there. The zones are pretty big, even though they're not open world. Lastly, I love it that there's absolutely no loading screen anymore once you loaded a map. All of the enterable buildings can be accessed seamlessly, no matter how small/big they are. Some of them have multiple rooms and/or stories and they're still seamless. There are medium towns/villages across the whole map, as well as multiple big cities. It's amazing.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's now September 1st in the US.

Also is it dangerous to sleep next to a wireless router for prolonged periods of time?

For the last 7 or so years I have been sleeping next to one and I'm wondering if that's bad? The thing has been about 3 feet away from where I sleep.

Also somethings that I learned today is that Disney XD (US version) not only has Pokemon (I already knew about this one) but they also have Blayblade, Inazuma and more. During a commercial they had a promo for these shows and used the word Otaku in the promo. Pokemon was mostly a WB/Cartoon Network type of show.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Reading the dumb takes on Alec Holowka’s passing (both from idiots happy about it tweeting it to his sister and from idiots who took it as just another motive to harass people) gave me the final push to delete my Twitter account. Now I’m officially social media free.

Fuck all those sites.

Also is it dangerous to sleep next to a wireless router for prolonged periods of time?

For the last 7 or so years I have been sleeping next to one and I'm wondering if that's bad? The thing has been about 3 feet away from where I sleep.
Supposedly WiFi shouldn’t affect our body but these things take some time to assess and WiFi is still a relatively new technology. Maybe avoid being part of the test group if you can just to make sure.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Very glad that the September deluge is mostly passing me by.
Only Spyro and AI Somnium Files for me this month.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
It's so easy to miss items dropped by enemies in Divinity Original Sin. There's nothing highlighting them and more often than not they're covered by the bodies or clipped into the ground. Even when that isn't the case they're hard to find in the middle of all the crap laying around because they're so small.
Yesterday I was dumbfounded because a boss was supposed to drop a key item that would allow me to continue the story and there was nothing. Eventually I found it because it had literally a pixel sticking out of the ground.
Such a basic flaw in what is otherwise an almost flawless game.

Status
Not open for further replies.