Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Well, looks like Control is getting both expansions in 2020, in time for the Steam release in August 2020. Can't wait, waiting for this was the best idea, to be honest, all the content at once and I can beat everything at the same moment.

Control - Discover a World Unknown
These EGS exclusives that eventually come to steam put me in a moral quandary. I am not going to buy the games on EGS but I really dont want to reward the companies by paying full price day 1 on Steam (day 361) as that shows the company there is no downside to going EGS exclusive temporarily. Also EGS exclusives that come to Steam eventually will only ever be sold straight from Steam for the steam version, so we further wont be able to get discounts via Humble/GMG ect..

lazerfox

Alpine Flower Boy
Dec 31, 2018
Switzerland
Well, looks like Control is getting both expansions in 2020, in time for the Steam release in August 2020. Can't wait, waiting for this was the best idea, to be honest, all the content at once and I can beat everything at the same moment.
Sadly that also means Steam users will have to pay full price one year later for the Definitive Edition.

by the way:
Dang they know how to pull me in

Chance Hale

Yikes forever
Sep 10, 2019
Colorado
Anyone played Underworld Ascendant as of late? Game is now at very positive on steam so must have undergone a significant rework/patching cycle.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Sadly that also means Steam users will have to pay full price one year later for the Definitive Edition.
i assume this will be true for pretty much all the bigger games (at least the ones that will get DLC along the way)

also, like arts&crafts mentioned, all the outside keys will probably still be egs keys, even after the egsclusivity ends

Anyone played Underworld Ascendant as of late? Game is now at very positive on steam so must have undergone a significant rework/patching cycle.
not yet, no :( only played it a bit at release ... but yes, the patch notes were always gargantuan ... so i imagine they fixed A LOT

Steam the official GOTY platform
it definitely will be for all the egsclusives (well, most of them)

Reactions: arts&crafts

Deleted member 113

These EGS exclusives that eventually come to steam put me in a moral quandary. I am not going to buy the games on EGS but I really dont want to reward the companies by paying full price day 1 on Steam (day 361) as that shows the company there is no downside to going EGS exclusive temporarily. Also EGS exclusives that come to Steam eventually will only ever be sold straight from Steam for the steam version, so we further wont be able to get discounts via Humble/GMG ect..
I'm on the same boat.
If I were to buy the game when it launches on Steam, it would be the best of both worlds for these companies: they would get Epic's money, and a year later my money.

I have so many games to play (and new games come out on Steam every day), I think I'll play those instead.
I may play some of these previously EGS exclusive games later on (like, if they show up on a bundle for next to nothing).

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
The only way I'm paying full price on EGS exclusives is if they come with all DLC right off the gate, otherwise I'm just going to wait on a few price cuts.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
For people having played the Romancing Saga games, are they actually about romancing, some sort of dating sim meets JRPG, or is it just the typical way that Square names their games by randomly choosing words from a dictionary?
Alan's Woke and his Torch is lit

Mivey I think it's like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" in that it's a fantasy, rose-tinted look at things?
Yeah that's it, they aren't dating sims.

Reactions: Mivey and lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, as I said multiple times, I'm not here to judge any of your decisions, I know that the very first moment the game comes to the platform I want I will buy it because I have been waiting and I want to reward the devs for the game. Not going to blame devs for their decisions or their pub's decisions, it's just time and tbh, the more I think about it, the less I care waiting.

Full price is warranted but that happened even before this deals, just looks at the Console exclusives with late ports at full price, it's something that it's already here to stay so, nothing we can do to change it.

But again, personal opinion.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
yup

i mean - they already confirmed both games take place in the same universe, so ...
Didn't Max Payne also exist in the Alan Wake universe (though unlikely now that it's a Rockstar property). Remedy keeping their own little universe alive for fans it seems

Reactions: lashman

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
For people having played the Romancing Saga games, are they actually about romancing, some sort of dating sim meets JRPG, or is it just the typical way that Square names their games by randomly choosing words from a dictionary?
The latter.

The best way I can describe the Romancing SaGa games is as a "open world Final Fantasy". They have a very unique structure for their time, putting emphasis on open ended story progression, with the plot flowing differently for each of the playable characters - characters have unique intros and enter the plot in different ways, a group of characters for example have several intro storylines while another just plunges straight into the meat of the story right away - with some gameplay differences in some cases, like one of the characters in 3 having his own war strategy minigame. Combat is reminiscent of Final Fantasy 2, with character progression being tied to your actions in battle instead of level ups - use swords a lot and your character will eventually figure out brand new sword skills, etc.

Romancing SaGa 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Well, as I said multiple times, I'm not here to judge any of your decisions, I know that the very first moment the game comes to the platform I want I will buy it because I have been waiting and I want to reward the devs for the game. Not going to blame devs for their decisions or their pub's decisions, it's just time and tbh, the more I think about it, the less I care waiting.

Full price is warranted but that happened even before this deals, just looks at the Console exclusives with late ports at full price, it's something that it's already here to stay so, nothing we can do to change it.

But again, personal opinion.
That's when backlogs really makes you put things into perspective. There are plenty of games to play while those exclusives get hefty discounts on Steam.

It's my approach for now.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
AWE = Alan Wake Experience, Expanded, Extended, Enhanced or Exclusive?
AWE stands for Altered World Event in Control and describes paranatural Things.
According to the Secrets you can find in Control, Bright Falls was such an AWE and Alan Wakes Typewriter is an Object Of Power that can make paranatural things happen (As seen in Alan Wake)

Altho in this case it is clearly supposed to be a double Entente.

Anyways, Control is one of the best Third-Person Shooters i've played in years and ya'll should Play it once EGS exclusivity is up.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Thanks, Hektor! I haven't been following Control really. So it's like The Lost Room/Warehouse 13 or some chapters of SCP then? Neat.
I keep meaning to look into "The House of Leaves" people keep mentioning too or is that an in-game thing?

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
I used to have a chrome extension that would tell me the average price of my Steam booster packs if I were to open them and sell individually, was that enhanced steam?

Reactions: MJunioR

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Thanks, Hektor! I haven't been following Control really. So it's like The Lost Room/Warehouse 13 or some chapters of SCP then? Neat.
I keep meaning to look into "The House of Leaves" people keep mentioning too or is that an in-game thing?
Yea Control is essentially just an SCP-game mixed with Twin Peaks.
The entire premise is about an organization that's trying to collect all these SCP Objects and keep them safe in a huge building that itself is an SCP Object.

If i can spoil a little sidequest:

One sidequest revolves around a fridge that's eating people unless it is being looked at by someone without blinking

The House of Leaves is a book i haven't read so i can't tell you anything about that,

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Alan's Woke and his Torch is lit

Mivey I think it's like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" in that it's a fantasy, rose-tinted look at things?
Yeah that's it, they aren't dating sims.
The latter.

The best way I can describe the Romancing SaGa games is as a "open world Final Fantasy". They have a very unique structure for their time, putting emphasis on open ended story progression, with the plot flowing differently for each of the playable characters - characters have unique intros and enter the plot in different ways, a group of characters for example have several intro storylines while another just plunges straight into the meat of the story right away - with some gameplay differences in some cases, like one of the characters in 3 having his own war strategy minigame. Combat is reminiscent of Final Fantasy 2, with character progression being tied to your actions in battle instead of level ups - use swords a lot and your character will eventually figure out brand new sword skills, etc.

Romancing SaGa 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.
Thanks for the quick heads up, everyone

Reactions: lashman and MJunioR

Deleted member 113

Doesn't Valve check all game pages before games are launched?
Previously, it was mentioned that they allow developers to post store games without checking them, but before a game actually launches, the pages are checked.

Who validated this?

arts&crafts

MetaMember
Oct 26, 2018
Previously, it was mentioned that they allow developers to post store games without checking them, but before a game actually launches, the pages are checked.

Who validated this?

haha in the "About the game" section "The negative comment is wrong - the inventory system works perfectly."

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
2 new english SaGa games this year? :blob_asweaty:

And here I still have only 4 hours put in Romancing SaGa2 (it's awesome tho)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, OCD telling me that I should replay FF7 with a good fan translation before the remake. French version was barely understandable at the time, although I'm not so sure it was due to the translation or just the game plot being... really JRPG.

On the other hand, as I'm sure I won't have played every Saga before that one, is Romancing Saga 2 linked in any way with 1 ? It annoy my lizard brain to start with 2, but eh.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I know MS and some people like to pretend that gamepass doesn't eat into sales but this is pretty solid proof that it does. To be fair though the game is not very appealing unless you are really into multiplayer. They're asking $60 or more in some regions for another 10 hour campaign that doesn't really do anything special or memorable, and also happens to be one of the buggiest games I've played this entire gen. Somehow.
In regular situations , it usually doesn't affect sales, no.
In this particular case, MS has been firing all cylinders in terms of Gamepass marketing this last month. It has been 1$ everywhere, free with several snacks, cheap ultimate upgrades, Alienware and GPU promos, etc. People will of course go for the 1$ option instead of the frankly overpriced 70€ one, even if they want to own the game.

Although funnily enough, it wouldn't surprise me if those concurrent numbers are higher than any non-gamepass Win store game MS has ever released lol

Who validated this?

Work is public domain

Status
Not open for further replies.