Community MetaSteam | September 2019 - Valve, I Know What You Did Last Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I took a look at the eShop today to check if Sushi Striker was on sale. Holy moly shitballs the store is overswamped with games. Not does the eShop only take time to load new games while scrolling, but the lack of user-specified store preferences like Steam has make the eShop a nightmare to scroll through.

Overall, there's just so many fucking games. Many of the are probably decent to great, but there's just so goddamn many of them.

They are not fighting for my money, but for my time.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
The endgame of Monster Hunter World is way too grindy and GaaS-y for me to really get into it or bother with achievement hunting. So right now I'm stuck in that "in-between games" phase where I have no idea what to play next or even what kind of game I feel like playing. So I've mostly just been watching anime for the past few days lol. There's still 3 weeks until Destiny 2's Steam release, so I could probably squeeze in something longer but I just don't know what. Nothing really seems all that appealing, even stuff I've wanted to play for years. I have a Steam category that essentially works as a curated backlog. I went through my library a while back and basically picked out games I actually wanted to play and even that just seems like a list of chores right now...

Ugh, lately I sometimes wonder if I even like games anymore. Do you guys ever get that? Like, obviously I still do to an extent, I was having a blast with MHW before hitting that point, but I used to be able to play essentially whatever and get a reasonable amount of enjoyment out of it as long as it wasn't a complete piece of shit. But lately I feel like most games fail to keep me interested. Take Wolfenstein 2 for example. The couple hours I played were fun but I've had no desire to play past the first few levels.

I can usually snap myself out of a gaming burnout by playing some weirdo indie game outside of my comfort zone but this feels different. Lately if I'm not playing something that I can get completely absorbed into I just end up feeling like I'm wasting my fucking time...

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So I took a look at the eShop today to check if Sushi Striker was on sale. Holy moly shitballs the store is overswamped with games. Not does the eShop only take time to load new games while scrolling, but the lack of user-specified store preferences like Steam has make the eShop a nightmare to scroll through.

Overall, there's just so many fucking games. Many of the are probably decent to great, but there's just so goddamn many of them.

I was lucky enough to get a new copy for $19 around a month ago, the 3DS version was $7.50 new lol

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I was lucky enough to get a new copy for $19 around a month ago, the 3DS version was $7.50 new lol
I played the Switch demo, but I think it works best on my 3DS.

I have never seen the game on sale on any of the platforms though, digitally.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
In regular situations , it usually doesn't affect sales, no.
In this particular case, MS has been firing all cylinders in terms of Gamepass marketing this last month. It has been 1$ everywhere, free with several snacks, cheap ultimate upgrades, Alienware and GPU promos, etc. People will of course go for the 1$ option instead of the frankly overpriced 70€ one, even if they want to own the game.

Although funnily enough, it wouldn't surprise me if those concurrent numbers are higher than any non-gamepass Win store game MS has ever released lol

Work is public domain
Wait, Zork is that old as to be public domain? So this is what would be like if Mario1 ever entered public domain... huh

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Oh great, now Apple starts moneyhatting 3rd party games as well. The sequel for enter the gungeon is the first one, no doubt many will follow.

I strongly dislike how gaming is being fractured between different services. I expect this to result in increased piracy sooner or later.

Oh well, I will keep ignoring games involved in exclusivity deals, no matter if it's Epic, Google or Apple doing the moneyhat.

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain

I can't understand why Sushi Striker and The World Ends with You have never been discounted on the Eshop, those types of games need to have regular discounts to get more people to buy them. :cryingwhyblob: :shrugblob:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Oh great, now Apple starts moneyhatting 3rd party games as well. The sequel for enter the gungeon is the first one, no doubt many will follow.

I strongly dislike how gaming is being fractured between different services. I expect this to result in increased piracy sooner or later.

Oh well, I will keep ignoring games involved in exclusivity deals, no matter if it's Epic, Google or Apple doing the moneyhat.
Apple Arcade exclusives are only for mobile. They don’t have any effect on console or PC releases. Exit the Gungeon seems like its a devolver choice.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
For people having played the Romancing Saga games, are they actually about romancing, some sort of dating sim meets JRPG, or is it just the typical way that Square names their games by randomly choosing words from a dictionary?
Well after beating Final Fantasy II a while ago I learned that it is, unofficially, the actual first Saga game. So it's probably the latter.
The latter.

The best way I can describe the Romancing SaGa games is as a "open world Final Fantasy". They have a very unique structure for their time, putting emphasis on open ended story progression, with the plot flowing differently for each of the playable characters - characters have unique intros and enter the plot in different ways, a group of characters for example have several intro storylines while another just plunges straight into the meat of the story right away - with some gameplay differences in some cases, like one of the characters in 3 having his own war strategy minigame. Combat is reminiscent of Final Fantasy 2, with character progression being tied to your actions in battle instead of level ups - use swords a lot and your character will eventually figure out brand new sword skills, etc.

Romancing SaGa 3 is one of my favourite games of all time.
Yeah despite the questionable implementation of some of Final Fantasy 2 mechanics, I'd say I had a pretty enjoyable time with it overall. Haven't played a Saga game before, but judging by how good the trailer of Romancing Saga 3 looks (Why didn't we get FFIV-VI on Steam in that Style Square 😢) I need to fix that soonish!

As someone who Final Fantasy VII was his very first Final Fantasy, and JRPG even back when it came out on the PS1, all I can say after watching this trailer is... wow! Going to be really hard to resist grabbing it on PlayStation that's for sure. I'm still not entirely sure that the existence of this game is actually real!

This part especially had me grinning like an idiot :LOL:
I'm glad that we're getting this sub-plot in the remake.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Are you sure? Why would Devolver do such a thing? 🤔
Klei, the devs of one of the most heavily advertised Apple Arcade "exclusives" Hot Lava came out and confirmed months ago that the deals were only for mobile, and the Steam release would be unaffected.

Exit the Gungeon looks like a small scale made for mobile title. This isnt the first time Devolver released a small scale mobile title on IOS, followed by a PC release a few months later. I wouldnt think too much of it.

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I can't understand why Sushi Striker and The World Ends with You have never been discounted on the Eshop, those types of games need to have regular discounts to get more people to buy them. :cryingwhyblob: :shrugblob:
Does anything besides Capcom games ever gets discount on eShop? I'm waiting for the first Devil Survivor to get on sale for two years now.

Reactions: Echoes and Ge0force

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Mobile spin-offs of bigger games and "iOS first" has happend a bunch in the past. They're probably paying for these new ones to advertise Arcade but this doesn't look like a real sequel. It's still double-bad because a) I have no love for anything Apple and dumped my iPhone after a short stint and b) playing games on mobile fucking sucks and no 'but did you try this and that and this?' will ever change my opinion. But nothing new in the mobile space really, sometimes we get PC ports (like Hitman GO and the others), sometimes not (Monument Valley, also took a while to get to Android).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Klei, the devs of one of the most heavily advertised Apple Arcade "exclusives" Hot Lava came out and confirmed months ago that the deals were only for mobile, and the Steam release would be unaffected.

Exit the Gungeon looks like a small scale made for mobile title. This isnt the first time Devolver released a small scale mobile title on IOS, followed by a PC release a few months later. I wouldnt think too much of it.
As a huge Enter the Gungeon fan, I'm very happy to hear that. Thanks m8!

Reactions: Arsene and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Judging by Hades and Close to the Sun Epic isn't always delivers on ponies and rainbows, otherwise they wouldn't run to Steam at the first given moment.
i'm pretty sure that if there was a way for them to get out of the egsclusivity contract both of those games would be up on steam the moment those store pages went up for both

Samson

Aug 2, 2019
Heraklion
Ugh, lately I sometimes wonder if I even like games anymore. Do you guys ever get that? Like, obviously I still do to an extent, I was having a blast with MHW before hitting that point, but I used to be able to play essentially whatever and get a reasonable amount of enjoyment out of it as long as it wasn't a complete piece of shit. But lately I feel like most games fail to keep me interested. Take Wolfenstein 2 for example. The couple hours I played were fun but I've had no desire to play past the first few levels.
Regularly.

After I finally finished Shadowbringers, I've felt so burnt out I haven't played much for the last month. I went from a few hours of games a day to a few hours per week. Sometimes you just got to wait for the funk to break.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Judging by Hades and Close to the Sun Epic isn't always delivers on ponies and rainbows, otherwise they wouldn't run to Steam at the first given moment.
I'm not reading too much into it. I think they got what they came for and decided to maximize potential reach. Smart. By all accounts, this game has the potential to get pretty big.

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
In regular situations , it usually doesn't affect sales, no.
In this particular case, MS has been firing all cylinders in terms of Gamepass marketing this last month. It has been 1$ everywhere, free with several snacks, cheap ultimate upgrades, Alienware and GPU promos, etc. People will of course go for the 1$ option instead of the frankly overpriced 70€ one, even if they want to own the game.

Although funnily enough, it wouldn't surprise me if those concurrent numbers are higher than any non-gamepass Win store game MS has ever released lol

Work is public domain
I was right on the money

Reactions: Alexandros

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
I'm not reading too much into it. I think they got what they came for and decided to maximize potential reach. Smart. By all accounts, this game has the potential to get pretty big.
It's still almost a year away and I don't think putting a Steam page up this early will make any difference for them in the long run. By the time it'll be finally released it'll be a year old game competing with the likes of Cuberpunk and VtMB 2.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
It's still almost a year away and I don't think putting a Steam page up this early will make any difference for them in the long run. By the time it'll be finally released it'll be a year old game competing with the likes of Cuberpunk and VtMB 2.
Oh, we might be talking about different games. I guess I didn't specify. I was thinking about Hades. That's coming out in like two months.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

I almost regret not picking up Talos back when it was 6, but then I remembered how sick the flat version made me. The VR version would probably floor me.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Oh, we might be talking about different games. I guess I didn't specify. I was thinking about Hades. That's coming out in like two months.
Yeah, Hades is different, it's still in EA and there's a chance Supergiant is lucky enough to catch a break.

Reactions: beep boop

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Regularly.

After I finally finished Shadowbringers, I've felt so burnt out I haven't played much for the last month. I went from a few hours of games a day to a few hours per week. Sometimes you just got to wait for the funk to break.
Yeah, I guess. Best part is there actually IS one game I'd love to play right now: Control. Fuck me, right? lol

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD
Status
Not open for further replies.