Community MetaSteam | September 2021 - Welcome to Punxsutawney

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Yap not worth 30$ for owners of PC version in my opinion.
Yeah, this is clearly a minimal effort just to get the game on all platforms to get people ready for Alan Wake 2. Which is fine but hardly a must-buy if you already own the game. I'm not normally one to call for a remake when a game still plays fine but this is one case where it probably would've been worth it to go the extra mile. Alan Wake feels like an early X360 game in many ways. I replayed last year and it definitely feels rough around the edges now. At the very least, not adding ray-tracing seems like such a wasted opportunity given the huge focus on light.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Actraiser Renaissance complete (I blocked the name of the new final area just to be safe). I enjoyed the game, but I am not quite sure it is good as the original. The original game felt like a perfect mix of side scroller and city building. Renaissance, in comparison, leans far more on the city building (and now tower defense) aspect. While the city building's scope is significantly expanded, it can feel a bit tedious at times (I spent some time just browsing on my phone while waiting for materials to appear from workshops so I could upgrade my towers).

The graphics are kind of ugly, but they have a certain retro charm as they remind me of early gen PS1 and Saturn games that had the CG sprite look. The music is absolutely phenomenal and probably the best soundtrack of 2021. The story is expanded, but still feels kinda boilerplate and isn't that interesting. Also there is a lot of dialogue that can also get tedious.

As someone who has a ton of nostalgia for the first game, I loved it, but I still think it's pretty flawed. I would suggest playing the SNES version first to compare it to the remake.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Big news out of china. It seems that Tencent and Netease are going to be very pro china child regulations. What that means is that they are in favor of the stuff protecting kids and only being able to play 1 hour a day on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday.
Worth noting that the restrictions only apply to online games.
They can still play their pirated Pokemon roms all day everyday.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
Finished my Prey playthrough. Restarted about halfway through the game as it wasn't sticking. Ending up playing on Nghtmare with all the survival elements enabled and doing only human based Neurmods and found it amazing.

That game is incredibly underrated. Shame I haven't heard anything about a follow up. Considering the ending and all.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
1-Most EGS deals are timed, that doesn't mean they will come but most likely they will in the future. (45,5% did)
2-Having Steam API data doesn't mean exactly this but I wouldn't be surprised if it was already in the system.
3-I THINK KH and NEO will come in '22.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
For anyone playing the Outer Wilds DLC, is it a standalone campaign? Or is it new content added to the base game?

I'd just read the Steam forums or whatever to find out, but going into the game blind was magical, and I'd like to stay similarly unspoiled for the DLC.

• Eyes

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm still confused about what people thinks Valve does. Let's take the Steam Link, Steam Controller and Steam Machine into consideration. As for as the Steam Link itself is concerned, it is still supported, I remember some body even mention that there was an update for the physical device about a year or two ago (well after they stopped selling it) so the thing itself is still supported.

As for Steam Controller that is still supported even now (Steam Input) and if there was a major bug or something where a Steam update caused them to have issue, I'm sure that Valve would fix that.

As for Steam Machines the only support that I can see for those would have to be SteamOS stuff. Can you still update SteamOS on those? So once SteamOS 3.0 release will that work on those machines and some of the new features like suspend will work on them?

I am actually curious about if these things are really still supported or do people just think that they are not supported because they never hear about them anymore/because Valve doesn't sell them anymore? With video game consoles has trained people into thinking is that after a certain amount of time your Device will no longer be supported because we have stopped selling it (aka a new console generation type of thing) but we'll I mean stuff like Half Life (1998) still gets updates and last I checked pretty much any game that is older than 2013 is not really getting any updates from that many devs. And even then those are typically for the games as a service type of stuff that are online multiplayer games.

I don't have a Steam Machine so I'm not sure shat parts of it are no longer supported and I have not tried to connect my physical Steam Link in a while so I don't know what the current restrictions on them are exactly.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
So would this standalone VR headset be a successor to the Index or simply a different form factor? I'm sorta thinking about maaaaaaybe getting an Index in the near future but I'm worried about buying it and then the next week they announce an Index 2 hahaha. That would really suck when buying such an expensive piece of hardware...

• Eyes

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
So would this standalone VR headset be a successor to the Index or simply a different form factor? I'm sorta thinking about maaaaaaybe getting an Index in the near future but I'm worried about buying it and then the next week they announce an Index 2 hahaha. That would really suck when buying such an expensive piece of hardware...
I don't think we really have any idea on the possible pricing at this point.

Personally I believe it's going to be more expensive than the Quest but they'll go with a more affordable price than the Index (maybe $400-600, with multiple price points depending on the on board storage like the Deck). With the Quest 2 only being $300 they can't sell this thing for $1000 and expect any mass market adoption.

I do think that means the controllers will be far less advanced than the Index controllers (probably no finger sensors unless they can bring down the price of that and rework the tech) and it will be inside out tracking instead of the base stations, though it will support the Index controllers for those who bought them.

Specs wise I think it will probably be higher end than the Steamdeck since the chip set is going to need to power 2 high resolution displays and high frame rates.

I'm guessing Valve probably knows a headset that hooks to a computer with a cable is a dead end. It's got to be standalone (with the ability to connect to a PC via wireless for higher end games).

Just 100% speculation on my part though.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Personally I believe it's going to be more expensive than the Quest but they'll go with a more affordable price than the Index (maybe $400-600, with multiple price points depending on the on board storage like the Deck). With the Quest 2 only being $300 they can't sell this thing for $1000 and expect any mass market adoption.

I do think that means the controllers will be far less advanced than the Index controllers (probably no finger sensors unless they can bring down the price of that and rework the tech) and it will be inside out tracking instead of the base stations, though it will support the Index controllers for those who bought them.

Specs wise I think it will probably be higher end than the Steamdeck since the chip set is going to need to power 2 high resolution displays and high frame rates.

I'm guessing Valve probably knows a headset that hooks to a computer with a cable is a dead end. It's got to be standalone (with the ability to connect to a PC via wireless for higher end games).

Thanks for the input! I'm less concerned about the price than I am about buying an SKU that's going to quickly become obsolete. If the standalone model is a downgrade in any way, I might still end up going for the Index tbh. If it's an improvement over the Index though that's a different story.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
For anyone playing the Outer Wilds DLC, is it a standalone campaign? Or is it new content added to the base game?

I'd just read the Steam forums or whatever to find out, but going into the game blind was magical, and I'd like to stay similarly unspoiled for the DLC.
I played a couple hours tonight, it exists within the game but is functionally isolated from the base stuff. I just continued my "main" expedition or whatever and eventually figured out how to get to it. You don't choose where to spawn in or anything.

Reactions: Avern

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Seems like the cheapest place is GMG as for now

UnMetal - 35% - 11,01€
It is cheaper on Humble Store with the subscriber advantage.
Seems like I was half right and half wrong. It was cheaper on Humble with Choice sub as Wok mentioned (Thanks Master Wok) but even then it's cheaper as of for now on Gamersgate with ITAD/GG.Deals voucher (extra 11% off)

UnMetal - 34% - €9.91 - Using coupon code "GG-DEALS-21/ISTHEREANYDEAL"

Also historical lowest price for:

Predator: Hunting Grounds - 55% - $13.49/€11,54
Predator: Hunting Grounds - Predator Bundle Edition - 56% - $17.59/€15,05
Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout - 50% - €8.89 - Using coupon code "GG-DEALS-21/ISTHEREANYDEAL"
DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT - 72% - $16.99/€14.54

Reason: Added Predator + Fall Guys + Kakarot
Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I keep getting notifications about comments to my review of Outer Wilds, but I've neglected to check them in like a year... I don't even want to know what's going on in there :thinking-blob: I like the traction it gets, but I was in an especially sour mood about OW as I wrote it and was maybe a tad harsh. Maybe.

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021

one concern that i have about this new VR headset by Valve is the possible theory that, if they price it cheaper than the Index as well as make it more powerful and accessible than it, the Index kinda becomes a bit obsolete?
i mean, what would you rather buy, a cheaper VR headset that runs by itself, can play all of your VR games without a strong PC, or a more expensive VR headset that needs a big PC as well as those tracking stations

one possible fix to this would be making the Steam Deckard (which i'll call the upcoming VR goggles now) just less amazing than the Index in terms of "specs", like sure, it can have strong APUs (AMD Van Gogh from the Steam Deck is already viable for VR preformance as demonstrated in devkits), but i'd expect like what you're saying; less advanced controllers, no base stations, etc.

in the end, either the Steam Deckard is more expensive but offers a lot of the same tech as the Index, or is cheaper at the expense of cutting some of them, hard to tell but i'd wager that Valve is very very user-friendly, considering the platform they're offering for several people, and that they'd make it more accessible for the mainstream at the cost of the tech

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
if they price it cheaper than the Index as well as make it more powerful and accessible than it, the Index kinda becomes a bit obsolete?
That statement is kinda weird because you have to connect Index to your PC, so technically Index is as powerful as your PC is. If you have high end PC, then Valve's standalone headset won't match its power.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Culdcept. Portable. In two months.
:dmcblob:

It works for so many games I missed, too. Digital Devil Saga. Portable. In two months. Look at that ! :cuteblob:

-

On a far less happy note, we need to decide what to do for the next thread. I don't want lashman to be feel either replaceable or guilty, so I don't know.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
On a far less happy note, we need to decide what to do for the next thread. I don't want lashman to be feel either replaceable or guilty, so I don't know.
I guess if the new month rolls round and lashman hasn't reappeared (we love you lashman) maybe someone could volunteer to make an October thread?

• Love
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao
Status
Not open for further replies.