Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

sca

Jul 16, 2021
I gotta say, I'm really excited for the stuff leading up to Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons and of course the expansion itself. New elite specs, new maps, more story, maybe a new race and mount. WvW alliances are coming and the Legendary Armory has been really good for QoL. I'm really hoping the metas on the new maps will have staying power like the HoT maps do

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I know they delayed Guild Wars 2 coming to Steam, but is that still on the cards? May have to take a look at it at some point.

Continued my working through the post Stormbringers content. Currently working my way through 4.3. So spoilers below are for that content.

I will preface this with saying this is all done in that slightly melodramatic storytelling style that FF is done in.

So did most of the stories that deal with Asahi and Yatsuya. I do like how they can sometimes make the biggest arsehole characters sympathetic at times. In this case, Yatsuya. They had touched on her backstory during the main body of Stormbringers. And there she was a full blow irredeemable villian. Yet the work they did with the post amnesia version of her was actually pretty cool. It worked so well that I actually felt sorry for her when she snaps back to being the full blow Yatsuya, especially that moment where she is about to commit suicide before her parents come along and snap her back to full blown batshit Yatsuya.

Asahi on the other hand is a bit of a mixed bag. He comes across a lot more as Tsundere style. I do think it works better here than it does in say a romance mange/anime. But still there is something that doesn't quite sit right. However it makes him that sort of villian that you just want to punch in the face. Repeatedly. He also, because of the Tsundere business, reveal to your character that he is out for your blood. This, for me, it just kind of ruins the inevitable betrayal.

I love the design for the Primal Tsukiyatsu.

Unfortunately no comments on the fight itself. It took me a couple of hours to get to this point. When I signed up for the Trial it was going to take 29 minutes. So tomorrow night for that.

I will say, with the Make it Rain festival on at the moment (and how I wish it would rain, it's too bloody hot) the queue was 488 long on the Lich server. So around a 10 minute wait to get in. I don't think it has taken longer than a minute in the 6 months I have played prior. Never seen so many people at the Gold Saucer.

sca

Jul 16, 2021
Last I read, it was on hold indefinitely since they wanted to prioritize EoD. I'm guessing sometime next year, hopefully. I'm excited about that release because that means controller support and it'd be fun to try it out on the Steam Deck. Only downside is that current accounts won't be compatible with the Steam version. I'm hoping that gets resolved at some point, but I wouldn't mind getting another copy for it.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
For FFXIV, I'm kind of stuck on Second coil Turn 4, but I'm starting to learn the divebombs position for phase 4. It's unnecessary but I'd really like to clear this series of instance, it's quite fun!

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For FFXIV, I'm kind of stuck on Second coil Turn 4, but I'm starting to learn the divebombs position for phase 4. It's unnecessary but I'd really like to clear this series of instance, it's quite fun!
Never really done the coils stuff. Might have to devote some time to it. I believe these are the first series of hard modes in XIV. Also believe the story associated with it is pretty good as well.

Reactions: Swenhir

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Never really done the coils stuff. Might have to devote some time to it. I believe these are the first series of hard modes in XIV. Also believe the story associated with it is pretty good as well.
Yes, that segment explains wtf actually happened in the fight between Louisoix and Bahamut you see in the ARR intro (and what happened after that)

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Would love to give it a go. But I think I will be deep in to FFXIV till the end of the year at least.

Yes, that segment explains wtf actually happened in the fight between Louisoix and Bahamut you see in the ARR intro (and what happened after that)
Cool, will have to work my way through them then. Not sure if Duty Finder or the LFG options would be best. I believe it can take a while to actually queue for them at times.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Cool, will have to work my way through them then. Not sure if Duty Finder or the LFG options would be best. I believe it can take a while to actually queue for them at times.
If you want to just do it for the story, unsynced (not lowering the level of the party to 50) party finder would be your best bet.

(Once people join the party, in the duty finder use the cog icon in the top left to activate the unsynced mode before starting the coil).

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Still on FFXIV, I also now have access to the savage version of the second coil of bahamuth to which I went LOL NO THANK YOU.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Not even looked at any Savage content yet. Going to practice on Party Finder with them. But this is all post Shadowbringers for me.

I need to look at some of the extreme content for the glamours.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I’m doing those raids unsynced right now. It’s more or less cheating but I never signed for very hard content and I‘m not in a guild that would facilitate meeting like minded players.
I don’t know how you do those content with regular level synced duty finder Swenhir wait time can be long, it’s a wipe fest and I had some bad experience with people leaving after a couple failed attempts. To be fair I also had super nice xp with a group, we failed until the end of the timer and congratulated each other for the failed run.

Just in for the plot ? Do a Party Finder with some level capped players and run the thing unsynced.
Still want to beat it on the regular ? It has been suggested to me that doing a Party Finder is still preferable to Duty Finder for the wait time and to be sure to get players who really want to try.

In unrelated news I got Heavensward credits. Which would be cool if there wasn’t at least as much content still to play in it and I wasn’t still shellshocked by ARR endgame.
Basically I was all ‘yeah, good one bro :anguished-face:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah I’m doing those raids unsynced right now. It’s more or less cheating but I never signed for very hard content and I‘m not in a guild that would facilitate meeting like minded players.
I don’t know how you do those content with regular level synced duty finder Swenhir wait time can be long, it’s a wipe fest and I had some bad experience with people leaving after a couple failed attempts. To be fair I also had super nice xp with a group, we failed until the end of the timer and congratulated each other for the failed run.

Just in for the plot ? Do a Party Finder with some level capped players and run the thing unsynced.
Still want to beat it on the regular ? It has been suggested to me that doing a Party Finder is still preferable to Duty Finder for the wait time and to be sure to get players who really want to try.

In unrelated news I got Heavensward credits. Which would be cool if there wasn’t at least as much content still to play in it and I wasn’t still shellshocked by ARR endgame.
I actually really enjoyed the post content for heavensward. Some cool dungeons in there, enjoyed the Void Arc bits. The story resolution is great and there are even hints to much later content, won't even spoiler that bit.

Also if you are interested in Crafters and Gatherers unlock the Ishgard Restoration as soon as you can. Managed to get Ironworker/Armourer to around level 60 just doing stuff there.

Also there is a festival there that runs every 2 days and you can get the Peacelovers outfit, and two mounts as drops from the event (they are also available in the store there as well).

Also look for Zhloe Aliapoh in Idylshire, she has a crafting service that can get you some cool recipes and gear for crafters. Also her storyline is quite fun with some touching moments in it.

All in all I think there a lot less quests in the Post Heavensward content and it is just a lot better quality than the ARR.

By the way if you are on an english/european server my character is
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.
so send a friend request if you are interested. Hell if it works I will accept friend requests from all over the world. Just I may be able to help out if you want it.

• Hug
Reactions: Swenhir and Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
He, FF14 friend system strikes again. I think people need to group in-game to add friends, it's beyond stupid.

Here's mine -
Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

CGriffiths86

Nerd Dad
Mar 19, 2021
So do we think New World is going to take off in any way? I played one of the early alphas and it seemed "fine".

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
He, FF14 friend system strikes again. I think people need to group in-game to add friends, it's beyond stupid.

Here's mine -
[Hidden content]
Yeah I think the Lodestone only allows you to follow it seems. The other issue was friend requests need to be made while both people are online. Never understood that.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
For the people who plays FFXIV:

1. What limitations are in the free trial besides the level?
2. How solo friend are most of it's content?
3. What about it's community?

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
For the people who plays FFXIV:

1. What limitations are in the free trial besides the level?
2. How solo friend are most of it's content?
3. What about it's community?
I believe the limitations are you can't join a free company, you can only earn 300,000 gil, you can't purchase property (yu wouldnt be able to with the gil limitation anyway), you can't use the market board, you can't use some of the chat options, you can join a party or use duty finder to create a party but can't create one outside of those conditions. A few other things shown in the link below:-

T&C

I would say 90% of the time it is solo friendly. However you need to do Dungeons & Trials as a group. Duty Finder is pretty good (usually about a 10 minute wait for DPS, couple of minute wait for Tank and instantaneous for Healer) although it can be longer. Unless you get a particularly chatty group it is usually a hello on the beginning and a thanks at the end of the chat.

I don't interact a lot with the community, something I would like to do though. However I haven't had any bad run ins during the game. Quite the opposite. Always remember when I was about level 30 being given a decent bow and a minion by 2 random passers by. Also had a dungeon run where when I said I was new to that particular dungen one of the other DPS' put a marker on and follow them. Plus I believe the GM's are pretty good and tend to appear when summoned to sort out toxic players (look at the bans after Asmongold first started).

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Goddamn I tried to register for FXIV but this thing is so confusing lmao.

I created a Square Enix account through their site linking my Steam account to it. I tried to log into the client but it asked for a 2FA code, I went to their site to activate a 2FA and it doesn't recognize my account. I tried to create the account through the launcher and while I went to check my e-mail for the confirmation code the launcher closed, so now I need to wait 24h lol.

sca

Jul 16, 2021
So do we think New World is going to take off in any way? I played one of the early alphas and it seemed "fine".
It sure is pretty. Though, from the footage I've seen, much of it falls flat. The PvP mode with multiple players did perk my ears up, but I wonder if they'll do it better than Guild Wars 2. With that said, it does sort of remind me of a pretty ESO and GW2 with action camera enabled. I think it'll be mildly successful, but it'd mostly be up to the devs and how transparent they are with updates and interacting with the community.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Well, the thing is, those raids attract a very specific kind of people. Nobody has to do them, we do them because we want to and because it's a fun challenge. We spent 6 hours on it today for instance. We all have each other in friends list by now and the circle is growing. We're just having fun to be honest, and phase 4 is horrendously hard. I watched a video and I now think I see how ice/fire/thunder, then iron chariot and the dives are supposed to work but golly it's crazy fast. People leaving after a couple failed attempts are really not normal but we did have one today. The usual "sry g2g" after we wipe on the hardest part.

For this, a party finder is by far preferable. You can talk before, get to know each other and explain. Overall it introduces a really relaxed mood :). To give you an idea, for the first hour we had no expectation at all for the newcomer other than to assimilate the infodump and make it to the hard part. Then we made some progress.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So I continued to work my way through the post Stormbringers content.

As usual I will keep this behind spoilers as I know people are at all kinds of different places in the game at the moment.

So I managed to get into the Trial that I avoided last night. Really enjoyed this one, even if i did die twice. It had a variation of a mechanic used in the crystal tower alliance raids at the end of ARR. Part way through the primal splits the battlefield and somebody gets marked with a moon. From waht I could make out is you needed to cross over the split everytime a phase is added to the moon. With the idea being that you don't want it to go to a full blood moon. So I think the first time this hit about 2/3rds of the party got killed. Managed to stay alive the second time around. But died from some mechanic I didn't even notice. So, as I mentioned in the previous spoilered post, SE writers did a really good job with Yatsuya, while she ended up dieing as a villian she ended up being a sympathetic villian. On the other hand, her step-brother is a grade A prick. No tears where shed when he died. I still have misgivings about him being a Tsundere for Zenos. However I find it quite funny that it isn't even Zenos he is worshipping at this point but instead an Ascian riding his body. I have an idea who the Ascian is but it hasn't been revealed who it is yet.

So once completed carried on with the story. Didn't do any other side content. Reluctant to do any levelling roulettes due to my Dancer already being at level 74 in level 70 content. So I may go back and start doing some work on the Samurai. Not really played anything with a close combat DPS. I need to sit down and look at the tool tips for all his skills and re-work my hotbar to suit for her.

So the story continues, we find out that Zenos' body is missing, we suspect it may be an Ascian in control and is generally being a nob to everybody he comes across.

Alphinaud get shot down in the burn and meets a cool Garlemeld character who is heavily implied to be Gaius, cool rework of his character if true. So that meant a trip to the burn to try and rescue him. Enjoyed the burn dungeon as well. Some of the bosses had repeated mechanics from earlier dungeons but with some minor twists. For example there is Garudas mechanic of having to hide behind boulders, but twisted in the fact that the boulder will also blow up after hiding behind it. I really am enjoying some of the more complex boss fights in the later game dungeons

Anyway, looking at it, I am roughly 12 quests away from the end of this content with one more dungeon for me to do. All in all I stand by my thoughts back when I finished Stormbringers main story. It is a great story, but it doesn't seem to quite hit the same heights. It doesn't quite have as interesting characters in there like Estinean, Ysale or Haurchenfant in there but I do think the likes of Fordola does come close at times, there just isn't enough of her in the game to get as attached.

So yeah, looks like I will be on track to finish this at the weekend. I don't think I will jump straight into Shadowbringers straight away. I might spend some time bringing my crafters up to level. Plus I need to go back and do the Beast Tribe Quest from all the way back to ARR. So may spend some time doing that sort of stuff and look at doing a few trials to try and learn some higher difficulty trials.

Won't get a chance to play tomorrow, so you will be saved from my wall of text basically recapping what many of you have done before. But I will be back Thursday/Friday instead.

Reactions: Kal1m3r0

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I just wanted to say : we did it. We naeled it, and damn did we make a lot of friends along the way.

Protip : color-coded markers and minimap locked are a godsend for orientating yourself in circular areas with no goddamn landmark.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So, after 409 hrs, starting back at the end of January and Stormblood is complete.

I stand by what I said when I first finished the main story of Stormblood. I think it is better than ARR but not as good as Heavensward for me.

However there is a lot of cool stuff in the Stormblood Epilogue & Shadowbringers Prologue stuff. The last dungeon of the content is excellent. Really loved it. Lots of cool stuff in there. The Gymlyt Dark (there is no spoilers in the name, I am not even sure of the relevance). Still hasn't quite replaced when Oblivion kicks in on the Shiva trial. That is the moment I realised I love this game.

There is something I really loved about this last run of content. Will hide this behind spoilers as I didn't realise this was in the game myself. You actually start to do some Solo Instances as other character. In this case Y'shtola, Hien and Alphinaud. They are only have 4 skills for each one. But it does help to break up the content.

Soo before rushing headlong into Shadowbringers I have a couple of things I want to do before I dive in. I still haven't done the Alliance Raids for Shadowbringers content. I will probably look at getting my Carpenter/Armourer/Blacksmith up to level 70 and maybe starting the last three crafters that will let me do some of the glamours I want to look at.

So I think I will spend a week playing around at crafting and dungeon runs, then on to Shadowbringers.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Man, I hope you have an healthy reserve of moola. I’m trying to up every craft from 40 to 45 (ideally 50) and in the space of a day I nuked 350 000+
I began systematically reselling my crafted shit in the auction board, we will see how it goes. I personally have no idea why people buy regular stuff there, but yes please, do go on people.

Ah, I remember now, I got fucked over and had to stop for the day not being able to level my carpenter with the last craft he needed because I didn’t have any more crystals and not enough to buy them :cat-pizza-blob:

• Sad

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Man, I hope you have an healthy reserve of moola. I’m trying to up every craft from 40 to 45 (ideally 50) and in the space of a day I nuked 350 000+
I began systematically reselling my crafted shit in the auction board, we will see how it goes. I personally have no idea why people buy regular stuff there, but yes please, do go on people.

Ah, I remember now, I got fucked over and had to stop for the day not being able to level my carpenter with the last craft he needed because I didn’t have any more crystals and not enough to buy them :cat-pizza-blob:
The easiest way to level your crafters and gatherers comes after you complete Heavensward. It opens the The Ishgard Restoration, Frimament and Diadem. Get the crafters and/or gatherers to 15 and then go there. You mine/harvest/fish for the materials there and then craft them into a special item there. Hand in there as well for points that can get you a few nice mounts and a couple of glamours for your crafters.

If you don't fancy that, level specific levequests can give you some nice XP. They stop after level 60 though.

Reactions: Li Kao

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Somehow, I'm ending up in a casual-ish static group. I just hope that I'm not going to end up burning out or dedicating too much time to this game. I have too much I care about to go down this rabbit hole again.

Still, between the mindset and maturity that I'm in seeing in FFXIV and what happened during my old pre-WoW days, there's a lot to appreciate. Abusive demeanor and expectations are no longer tolerated, for one.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
How do you set your hotbars on FF XIV? I just bought a new TKL keyboard, which replaced I huge ass keyboard with like 30 macro keys so great timing I guess. Right now I set a profile on G Hub only for FF XIV so my side buttons of my G502 are ALT and CTRL.

• This!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
How do you set your hotbars on FF XIV? I just bought a new TKL keyboard, which replaced I huge ass keyboard with like 30 macro keys so great timing I guess. Right now I set a profile on G Hub only for FF XIV so my side buttons of my G502 are ALT and CTRL.
Oh my God, don't mention it ! I'm 1000 hours in and still dread the time I will seriously have to customize the UI. To be fair the game seems to be really customizable, but it's so confusing. I see streamers with completely different UI and I'm like what is the dark magic. Things like a panel of buttons with emote, no quest list, peculiar ability bars, etc.
I NEED a good guide.

My only customization is still having the 9th ability bar grouped in a square on the left, but I'm 1-2 abilities away from saturation.

Reactions: NarohDethan

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
These two are a good start.

I am only just starting to tweak my layout for more comfortable layout.

I have three hot bars for all my skills. The third bar is keybound currently to my Alt key. My most common skills used are on 1-5. The least time sensitive ones are 6-0. I am probably going to change the keybindings around the wasd to make them more accessible.

I have unbound the target cast bar and repositioned it to below my character so it’s easier for me to read. While in the ui screen click on the target box at the top, go to the options and then there is a tick box to separate items out.

finally alongside my skills hot bar I have my job change and emotes hot bars 9/10 arranged as a square. Will take a screen grab later.

• Comfy
Reactions: NarohDethan

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm starting to definitively burn out on Coils. Today we're doing T13 and I think I'm going to have an honest talking-to with people about pace. Probably, 2, 3 days a week max.

I'm consistently amazed at the work required of tanks. Li Kao, I hope people treat you well. In the end it comes down to watching a guide and the group being understanding but damn if it doesn't look really intense for you. Healers, too, but I'm personally more used to that.

Also, the story is really, really good at least surrounding those instances.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I did it. Naroh's post was the motivation I needed to suffer through FF14 hotbar customization and macros.
Not perfect but boy did we achieve some cool things !
  • used hud #2 to make myself a nice square hotkey to store job shortcuts
  • made an hotkey bar in the lower right of hud #1 to put a 'job change' icon that open hud #2
  • job icons in hud #2 have the correct job icon and not some macro one, when a job is selected the game goes back to hud #1 so no more centered job icons
  • used the lower right bar to store some other useful functions
  • unused slots are hidden
  • oh yeah, a new lower left bar to store emotes :coffee-blob:
  • ignore the shit on the left, a remnant of my time before the new lower right bar where some never used abilities are still stored

And with 'Job Change' hud open

Show us your sexy UI, people !

Last edited:

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
My saga with the registration for the FFXIV free trial continues.

As trying to create an account through the launcher cause it to close when the confirmation e-mail were sent I decided to create an account through SE site only to discover later that I needed to create an account on MogStation and a SE account wasn't valid to log into the game, the launcher asks for a SE account so it was making me confused.

I searched for the MogStation site, found it and created my account there and went to log into the client and to my surprise I got an error message saying my id or password were wrong. Some days pass and I think about giving it another chance, tried to login and same error, but for some reason I thought about entering my password all in lower case and it went in! Too bad it did not let me log in, I got this screen instead:

Checking my account on Mogstation it says this:

SE I just want to use the free trial, how convoluted it need to be?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh God, I'm in one of those days where one MMO is not enough, I'm must play them all. No better way to burnout, I have to take care.
That being said, I could squeeze in a replay of Warframe.

• Comfy

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Finished t13. I have to say, it brings a really much-needed closer to the entire story of ARR. I am glad I persevered and got to see it all.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So played a little bit over the weekend. Decided to make a start on Shadowbringers. Still only at the early world building stage of the story. Some cool new locations and love the look of the areas.

Grabbed the emote from the "Make it Rain" campaign. Easy enough to do and a cool little emote, I do like the emotes that an additional element to it. I may have spent more time in the Gold Saucer than I really intended to.

Decided to have a go at Solo Coils of Bahamut. So far no major issues, will probably do a few more of them tomorrow as well. Emboldened by my success I decided to have a run on Shiva (Extreme), even with the echo I managed to get her down to 1/3rd of her health left. This has nothing to do with me enjoying the moment where she steps on me in any way, shape or form. I will have another go when I hit 80. Or drag a couple of mates into it who have level 80 characters.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Eh, funny that, I just launched the event quest myself. Really dragged my feet because I’m always letdown by those. I didn’t play a lot of them but they seem to be either grindy as fuck, some dialog tunnel for the sake of it, or just a little anecdotal side thing. Never played one that made me think ‘oh, that was cool’.
And, to make sure that I appears as a never satisfied Debbie Downer, I would be remiss to not add that I can’t stand the Gold Saucer, in a big way due to its music.

So now I’m lost in a directionless quest in a fucking casino with carnival music.

This, uh, was not my brightest idea.