Community MMOs and not so MMOs news, updates, and discussions | Ain't nobody got time for that?

MMO role that defines you

• Total voters

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
About FF14
Is the FF15 event one of those super long grindy one or a quick thing ? thekeats1999

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
About FF14
Is the FF15 event one of those super long grindy one or a quick thing ? thekeats1999
To add to the previous answer.

The only bit you need to grind (if you want to call it that) is run the fate 3 times to get the orchestration roll.

Also, on Tuesday they are re-running the Dragon Quest cross over. Brick golem minion (not sure on the proper name), and a couple of Glamour's.

Finally there is another Moogle Treasure Trove starting Tuesday (I think). Run select dungeons, trials and raids to earn currency. Can be traded in for Glamour's, hairstyles, minions and mounts. Fortunately I am grinding them anyway to complete for my Cryptlurker gear)

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yo, FF14, please go fuck yourself. That is all.
No but seriously, I wasn't too hot on the FF15 car, always found it tacky, but when I finished the event and saw the 200,000MGP price...
But that wasn't too bad because I really like the jacket in the reward list for the event starting today !
Then I read the price and how to gather the currency for it :fearful-face:

• Evil
Reactions: Wok

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I m about to finish my 6 month return to SWTOR after the launch and a very brief 2012 visit, which was enjoyable for the most part but a bit frustrating at the end.
That was because i didn't really liked the content after the return of Revan.
The systems are fine and you could goo on playing the game without even visiting late expansions but the stories they are trying to tell were very subpar.

The Zakuul ark, i felt it was unfitting for the SW universe and how the game's story was set but it could be an incredible single player non SW game.
What follows is bad or bland, making little sense else than having the player getting out of the position they achieved in the previous stories.

Losing your companions (even if you can kind of get them back with a system they quite recently introduced) it kind of works to drive the Zakuul ark but it ultimately fails its scope, it wasn't fun at all.

Now i have a dilemma return to FFXIV after a 6 month tour in 2015 or face the ugly endboss of my backlog.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Zakuul was a shit show, narratively.
It could work if it wasn't on the SW universe and as a single player experience. The ghost of a powerfull space mage king haunts the rebel that killed him with purpose to come back to life, while his empire is facing a fierce insurrection at the hands of his successor.

It didn't work in the game because the dominant force of the Zakuul empire is bruteforced to the audience while we are trying to figure out how on earth when we fought the Sith Emperor he was at the same time somewhere else having a family and running a soon to be conquering empire.

While at that we have the SW Geth as the murdering robots of an ancient highly progressed empire when we just had adventures involving the Rakata, another ancient tech empire that mysteriously faded.

Up to Revan expansion the narrative could be tolerated, after that it goes full stupid.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Making everyone in the game the most important person in the galaxy is just stupid. Especially since you then go back to being sent on random missions for the Republic/Empire afterwards. I get that this isn't a SWTOR exclusive problem, but it just seems so strange to let you claim the throne of the Eternal Empire and then... you do dailies lol.

But you're right. It would work for sure in a single player game.

Reactions: m_dorian

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Making everyone in the game the most important person in the galaxy is just stupid. Especially since you then go back to being sent on random missions for the Republic/Empire afterwards. I get that this isn't a SWTOR exclusive problem, but it just seems so strange to let you claim the throne of the Eternal Empire and then... you do dailies lol.

But you're right. It would work for sure in a single player game.
I do agree with this. The need to have the MMO player at the center of everything is both a blessing and a curse.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So this month for me is all about prep-work for Endwalker.

Only need one more piece of gear to complete my Cryptlurker gear, a belt. To be honest, with the removal of belts, I am not sure why I am bothering other than maxing out my iLevel. Also need to max out my Resistance weapon. That will be the biggest grind.

Outside of that I will be learning to be a tank, followed by a better tank. Started Paladin a little while ago and she is currently around level 38. To be honest I think it will be a case of running dungeons and learning about the mitigation tools.

Finally hit level 50 of Palace of the Dead. Me and a friend ran it as a 2 man team, myself as tank and he was Red Mage, so we had the full trinity covered. Lots of fun, plus it completes the mini-story of Edda.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
After finishing some titles from my backlog, I returned to FFXIV after 2015 and rolled a new char back in EU (my old one was in US to join old-old place's company). I made3 a tank for this char (a role a never take) and i am pleasently surprised because people do not hate me when i tank for them in those few group duties. So far, all good i can see my self spending at least six months in Eorzea.

Reactions: thekeats1999

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
After finishing some titles from my backlog, I returned to FFXIV after 2015 and rolled a new char back in EU (my old one was in US to join old-old place's company). I made3 a tank for this char (a role a never take) and i am pleasently surprised because people do not hate me when i tank for them in those few group duties. So far, all good i can see my self spending at least six months in Eorzea.
I have been doing a bit of tanking recently in 14. So far been a fairly pleasant experience. I have hit 50 at the weekend so trying to build up the courage to try doing a raid.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I have been doing a bit of tanking recently in 14. So far been a fairly pleasant experience. I have hit 50 at the weekend so trying to build up the courage to try doing a raid.
I wish all the luck to you.
My raiding days are long gone but i will gladly tank the more relaxed group content provided my group will tolerate my mediocre skills.
Anyway i m having good fun so far and that's what counts. It helps that the ffxiv community has treated me well thus far and i m trying to respond in kind.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I wish all the luck to you.
My raiding days are long gone but i will gladly tank the more relaxed group content provided my group will tolerate my mediocre skills.
Anyway i m having good fun so far and that's what counts. It helps that the ffxiv community has treated me well thus far and i m trying to respond in kind.
Just done a run in Satasha Hard as part of my 50/60/70 Roulette. First time doing it as a tank. Think we wiped 5 times in total. Healer kept getting targetted by the first boss with an instant kill attack, unless you get under it. Then on the last boss you are meant to destroy the tentacles to reduce the damage on a tidal wave. Missed it on the first couple of attempts.

Funny thing is nobody seemed to get mad, we just figured out what we had to do and got on with it. Then we cleared it. Actually a fun run as I learned a few bits as we went along.

jreid2112

All Systems Nominal
Nov 17, 2018
So what are everyone impressions of Endwalker so far? Not off work for a few more hours so haven't had a chance to see how bad the log in queues are. Personally a bit worried about summoner changes... hoping I still will like the class

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So what are everyone impressions of Endwalker so far? Not off work for a few more hours so haven't had a chance to see how bad the log in queues are. Personally a bit worried about summoner changes... hoping I still will like the class
Took me half an hour to log on with a queue of about 900. This was at lunch time on a European server, liche.

Spent about 8 hours on it, enjoying the story so far but not really got to the meat of it just yet. Not even reached the first dungeon.

At points has quite a melancholy feeling to it.

Will probably get a fair bit more time over the weekend on it though

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Tried to log in last night but the queue was long and i had to sleep because i work today.
I ll try log in in afternoon but then again i have no high lvl char so it's going to be some time before i come to EW content.

jreid2112

All Systems Nominal
Nov 17, 2018
Ok time to rant.....The queue was 5986 last night but finally got in after 2 hours and got kicked 45 minutes in but today I keep getting kicked after getting into the 1000 in queue... I am understanding to a point but when you are paying for x amount of days and you can't play from a number of them... This was annoying but doable when I was younger but I old with limited gametime. Anyone here been able to get in today?

Reactions: Li Kao

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I haven't even tried yet. Paid for the LE, but likely won't even be able to experience early access. ;_;

Expac broke mods and textools, and I uh, maybe forgot about that when i launched it the first time So my game is totally screwed and I have to re-install the whole thing from ground 0 to have clean files.

I'd really like to at least pick up the Sage job and get started on leveling it towards 80. Maybe i can try to sneak on in the early early morning hours and queues won't be too bad? I've heard the Primal datacenter is at least pretty stable. Where as like Euro datacenters and JP ones also have been crashing and kicking...

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I jumped on this morning around 8.30 local time. The queue was around 49.

Had to log out and when I tried logging back in at around 1 in the afternoon. Somewhere in the region of 3500 in the queue. A fair bit longer that time around.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I am still going on FFXIV despite the queues. I am still having good fun, just entered Ishgard and got the 7 day complimentary gift.

Still going as a tank with more confidence because the content is easy, i am getting better and the people in our group are nice. Still don't think i can do extreme level though but i do not mind at all.

So far all well here with the game (queue monster aside) but with SE and their game pricing decisions and their business partners, not so much.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Dear diary (lol),
15 days later and still going strong in Eorzea's world. I use the main story to level up my character's chisen job and it feels like a breeze. While it has mandatory dungeons and raids these are easy and quick enough to take them with out issue, i am just watching a video before queueing for the Duties (that's how they call dungeons here).

The community is extremely welcoming and friendly and the story is a quite relaxing experience aside the fact that is brilliantly written and executed.

I just finished Heavensward, the first expansion, and playing through the war between dragons and elezen ( the game's elflike race) was moving and satisfying. I am beginning the second expansion and it still plays fantastic.

Queues are negligible now and manageable through my RL schedule but the game has barred any new players for the time being, i wonder what will happen when they open up again.

Anyway, i am having a relaxing time there which is what i was looking for.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I have about 10 more chapters of Endwalker to do. This expansion really reinforces the idea that XIV is a RPG with online components.

keeping it as vague as possible to avoid spoilers.

tried the trust system as well. Something introduced in Shadowbringers. It allows you to bring NPCs as party members into the Dungeons, so if you don’t like playing with others or Queue times aren’t great then you can use the trust system. It seems to work well. The AI is competent, but doesn’t use AOEs for some reason. So it is a bit slower than a normal run. Also if your character dies it’s a wipe.

Story has been great so far with so much finally detailed. Voice acting has been increased where I think around 2/3rds is voiced. Although still a bit jarring when you go from a voiced scene then finishes with no voices.

I should have it finished either today or tomorrow (some family issues have prevented me from completing it so far). Then it is on to Pandemonium, Crafters and getting back to learning tanking.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Speaking about voice acting, i couldn't understand why they dropped Taliesin Jaffe and Sam Riegel. I think they did at least an ok job but i like them from Critical Role so my preference might be a bit biased.

Also, the Yotsuyu voice actress does a phenomenal job, she can skillfully sell the deep rooted vileness of the character.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018

Summary:

OCE Data Center launching on January 25th, with 5 worlds.

Home World Transfer service resuming from January 26th.

Data Center Travel planned for 6.1
x, can travel to other DCs in your region but not cross-region.

JP will get 1 new Data Center in July 2022, with the 32 current worlds being shuffled around to have 8 per DC instead of the current 10:11:11.

NA will get 1 new Data Center in August 2022 with 4 new worlds, and another 4 new worlds added to it in Spring/Summer 2023.
Also have plans for larger upgrades in 7.0.

EU will get 2 new worlds for both current Data Centers in July 2022, and then a new Data Center with 8 new worlds in Summer 2023.
Also making preparations in case of needing a fourth Data Center.

Digital sales of FFXIV will resume on January 25th.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So after completing Endwalker Great, Great, Great expansion loved almost every minute of it, I am doing little bits and pieces on it (working through pandaemonium to get they high iLvl gear). But also doing the most important part of endgame stuff. Glamours.

To that end I am currently levelling up my Gatherers to get them to lvl 90 and then on to the Crafters. Also hopefully we will get word on the 6.1 patch content soon (hoping for news on the Island Sanctuary's).

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I ve just finished the last Shadow bringers quest where you battle the primals and i m at work now. I ll enter Endwalker this night, hopefully.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Ultimately, at least for me, I still think Shadowbringers is the best expansion of the lot. It had the right balance of emotional/story/lore highs. It just kept building up as well, until you reach that moment in 5.3. That's not to say any of the other expansions are horrible. For a long time Heavensward was my favourite, great characters, absolutely amazing story and emotional highs. Shadowbringers I mention above. Endwalker has a feel of meloncholy throughout the game which is extremely well done. Stormblood had 2 problems for me, it came between Heavensward & Stormblood and it was a bit inconsistent. The Doman stuff is excellent and the Ala Migan stuff is just a bit dull. Although I will say all of the villains except for maybe Zenos (and I like Zenos) are well written. I would also say Endwalker is now a close second. But I am still a bit too close to that expansion (I played and completed Heavensward in April and Shadowbringers around October so I have had plenty of time to consider my thoughts on the games).

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I liked Stormblood but it does have some problems. The assessment you made about the story bits is correct.

Haven't seen how Endwalker ends but i hope it is as interesting as Heavensward or Shadowbringers.

I m having a lot of fun with the FFXIV story, in general. It is competent and emotional writing that very few games have the privilege to tell.

As far as MMO stories go it is the best i ve played followed by The Secret World.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Now I kind of want to get back into it. I think I played until Egypt.
I can echo that the story and atmosphere are excellent. A lot of the quests are legitimately top-tier. (Even though I definitely needed to look at guides for some of the investigations, lol)
I just didn't really like the combat from what I remember.

In other news, Lost Ark releases in 3 weeks I think. Looking forward to that one based on the little snippets I've picked up here and there. Nothing to lose since it's F2P.
Anyone here also going to check it out?

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
In other news, Lost Ark releases in 3 weeks I think. Looking forward to that one based on the little snippets I've picked up here and there. Nothing to lose since it's F2P.
Yeah, I will be giving it a go. Looking for something Diablo like. Even tempted to and grab the lowest tier starter pack version.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Yeah, I will be giving it a go. Looking for something Diablo like. Even tempted to and grab the lowest tier starter pack version.
I'm actually mostly interested in the exploration aspect, which seems surprisingly meaty.
Love me some good exploration in games.
Well, and that it seems very F2P friendly, that's also always nice.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I m deep in FFXIV at the moment to dive in another MMO but i will wait for your impressions.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I played what must have been... the Korean version at some point? Or another.
That was years and years ago.
And it plays really, really well, very meaty combat for hack and slash game. I was surprised at the PvP too, with equalized gear, it was both well done and a lot more friendly than you would expect.

On the other hand, I didn't play too long, and it was mostly a daily grinder that got long in the tooth pretty fast, like many others.
If you didn't like playing multiple classes, the game got quite stale.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I thought about playing Secret World Legends for a bit again, but then I saw the newsfeed on Steam and remembered it's basically dead and the story will never be finished... And that the combat sucks so I dropped that thought :/

Instead I downloaded Black Desert again with the intent of casually messing around a bit. I made a Corsair and it's hella fun. I also really enjoy collecting knowledge. Spent all the energy yesterday and was looking forward to continuing on today with a freshly recovered bar, only to find out that it barely recovered over night. Did some research and it turns out you get 1 energy every 3 minutes while online, but only 1 energy per HOUR when offline and motivation plummeted. Miss me with that shit.
Combat is fun and it looks like there's all this stuff to do and find, but I just hate limitations like this where you are heavily incentivized to treat the game like a 2nd job if you don't want to miss out.
Bummer. Feel like uninstalling again.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Just a quick reminder that there is a Halloween event on in FFXIV at the moment that gets you a clown outfit (I really need the boots from the set for my glamour).

Was delayed due to the launch of Endwalker being delayed.

My current plans in game is to get all of my gatherers up to 90, fishing is almost the same level as all the other gatherers so I can use the same gear in all 3. Me and a friend are doing the slow grind on the Monster Hunter content to get the Armour Glams and the Mount. Fortunately we can do it unsynced and doing a couple of runs a day, so will take about a month to grab. Also finish off my Relic weapon. With 6.1 being not too far away (March I believe) I want to get the previous relic done before starting the next one. Then the long road of getting my crafters to 90.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I m a few quests away from ending Endwalker and i m having a blast so far.

My plans after finishing consist of learning a second combat job (can't make up which one yet) and leveling crafting/gathering.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Couple of tips on the gathering/crafting side.

All Gatherers and All Crafters use the same gear. Gatherers geared towards GP, crafters CP. So try and level a few together as they can be equipped with one purchase. Easier with the Gatherers than the crafters.

I would go gatherers first for 3 reasons. First you can gather elemental crystals which are used in all crafting skills (also sell well on the Market Board if you are after Gil as well).. Secondly fishing is a pain in the arse when you are after specific fish, the market board is you friend. Finally a lot of crafters are lazy, so selling certain materials can be an easy source of income.

Levelling crafters and gatherers is fairly easy. Go to your Grand Company and buy the Manual of Hand and Manual of Land. These give an XP boost for a period of time. Keep these active. No seals, well sell all those low level dungeon items you aren't using for glams to the Quatermaster.
  • So first off 1-10 just do it. Gather/craft the highest levelled items you can. First time gathering and crafting earns boosted XP and like combat you can chain XP boosts.
  • 10 to pretty much the end. Levequests. If you are doing level appropriate leves you can gain 2 or 3 levels at a time.
  • Level 60+ you get access to the Ishgaurd Restoration and the Diadem. Excellent spot for just running around and gathering materials. There is a seperate currency here as well that can get you some cool mounts and glamours. As a gatherer I made my first wedge of Gil selling appraised materials because, as above, crafters can be lazy.
Finally there is gear. Accessories boost your CP/GP, something I didn't realise at first, and can make life easier. More CP/GP means more skills at your finger tips earlier. The problem is the game doesn't expressly tell you this. So early on go to the Jewlers on a regular basis. However after level 50, maybe 60, you get access to a currency called scrip. Which is earned through Collectables and Custom Deliveries. The important thing is Scrips give you access to the Crafting/Gathering equivalent of Relic Gear. High level gear that will last you the next 5 to 10 levels.

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
Finally finished Final Fantasy's Fourteen famed fable.

It was a superb ride going from the pirate port of Limsa Lominsa to the Unknown through so many emotional moments and living so many meaningful tales.

Not everything was fine, some unnecessary fetch quests and a few not to my preference trials but those were too few to alter my impression.

Now, more jobs and crafting always at a relaxing pace.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Finally finished Final Fantasy's Fourteen famed fable.

It was a superb ride going from the pirate port of Limsa Lominsa to the Unknown through so many emotional moments and living so many meaningful tales.

Not everything was fine, some unnecessary fetch quests and a few not to my preference trials but those were too few to alter my impression.

Now, more jobs and crafting always at a relaxing pace.
Yeah. The only really annoying bits for me where the forced follow sections, the stealth instances and the bit where your body was stolen.

But other than that I thought it was a great and satisfying ending to the story. Looking forward to 6.1 and the hints of what is to come next.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
So maybe it's here that we should talk about which Lost Ark server to choose.
Where you goin peeps?
Haven't made a choice, I'll see what the answers are.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I am on Spectrum. Although I need to recreate my character. My current one is looking kind of bland.